Please don't repeat my mistake: EUC Overlean in cold foggy weather rider fail🤦🏻‍♂️.Unexpected fast crash

DjPanJan

Interesting to see what others will say and dissect this a little more. 

Did you have any type of logs to go with this from EUCWorld maybe? Bit weird this cut out at that speed, at that battery percentage. Without any beeps. That 360 footage is invaulable too in situtions like these where your able to grab multiple angles. 

Edited by NickNonsense
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NickNonsense said:

. Did you have any type of logs to go with this from EUCWorld maybe? 

Shame on me as an eucworld tester I didn't have eucworld active yet. It happened close to the house and I turn on eucworld a little further from the residence due to privacy. If I had eucworld turned on, the vibration watch would alert me to the increased Amps  consumption (120), and I immediately take off the acceleration if watch vibrate. It was an interplay of bad coincidences.
 Because I have no further clues, I consider it Overlean and my personal rider fault.

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

It has been determined that the crash was caused by overlean that was induced by a 'top heavy' riding entity. It can be surmised that the increased weight of a helmet did INDEED create the event as depicted. The deduction can be made that YES, a helmet saved individual from more severe injury. However, said injury would have been avoided had aforementioned weight distrubution been disrupted by removing helmet mass..:popcorn:

I very much doubt that. Additional weight is always bad of course and requires extra power, but if you DO have to add weight on a vehicle like an EUC it should always be added as high up as possible in order to bring up the center of gravity as much as possible.

The wheel balances by going back and forth underneath you and the less weight it has to accelerate and decelerate during the process the easier it will be for the wheel (because of the reduced angular momentum). Tape a heavy weight to a long wooden stick and try to balance it upright in the palm of your hand. You will find that balancing the stick is the easier the higher up the weight (i.e. the center of gravity) is.

The ideal place for carrying weight on a  unicycle is balancing it on top of your head like an African woman carrying water jugs, not in a backpack.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 2

We get faster and faster. We lean more and more aggressively. But it feels the same.

What is your riding weight? 

Have you changed pedal mode recently? Soft mode makes it easier to overlean (leverage) and hard mode requires a bit more power (stiffness).

97% sounds a bit optimistic... although it is irrelevant in this case as it was close to full anyway.

• Like 3

Somewhat perturbed that your wheel can cut out like this at full charge, even if it is a bit cold out and the lights and speakers are on. Shouldn’t happen IMO. Perhaps you were leaning more than you thought?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

We get faster and faster. We lean more and more aggressively. But it feels the same.

What is your riding weight? 

Have you changed pedal mode recently? Soft mode makes it easier to overlean (leverage) and hard mode requires a bit more power (stiffness).

97% sounds a bit optimistic... although it is irrelevant in this case as it was close to full anyway.

I  lean normaly like always do nothing "special"   i think accident is combination :

1. not eucworld active = no watch vibration warning (high Amps drain alarm and speed alarm both logicaly deactivated)

2. weather cold + extreme humidity and BT music(full volume) + lights on = can be factor 

3. And yes i start overtake and  want acelerate/overtake  more/faster and feel how pedals slowly lost ballance not inmediatly ,diping slowly and continiously down and propably trigger critical  angle where motor/blalance is decativataed like safety feature.

4. i not blame EUC/MSP is my fault unicycle is victim in this accident this is why i name tread and video OVERLEAN

5 Proof is unexpected is my hands position sometime when i do "stupid things on euc" i always have hand is prepare position not this time.    

Real weight around 120kg / 260lbs  with all gear.

Pedals in Medium mode.

Accident happend  +-1 Km near home i not start eucworld yet shame on me. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

I very much doubt that. Additional weight is always bad of course and requires extra power, but if you DO have to add weight on a vehicle like an EUC it should always be added as high up as possible in order to bring up the center of gravity as much as possible.

The wheel balances by going back and forth underneath you and the less weight it has to accelerate and decelerate during the process the easier it will be for the wheel (because of the reduced angular momentum). Tape a heavy weight to a long wooden stick and try to balance it upright in the palm of your hand. You will find that balancing the stick is the easier the higher up the weight (i.e. the center of gravity) is.

The ideal place for carrying weight on a  unicycle is balancing it on top of your head like an African woman carrying water jugs, not in a backpack.

Oh boy I hope this post is sarcastic as well. Boy oh boy for your sake I hope 

• Like 3

The key factor here imo is your weight on the machine.  At 260, your not going to get anywhere near the performance out of the machine as a smaller rider.  You just have a lot less sag to play with and the confidence a 100v machine can give you may have lead to this accident.  Im 200lbs and i can overlean my 84v machine pretty easily.  Bigger guys like us need to really be careful with the acceleration, we can still get up to speed its just a matter of not over torqueing the wheel on the way there.

Still odd you didnt get tiltback before it dropped you though, maybe double check that your tiltback settings are active and its not just set to death beeps. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

The key factor here imo is your weight on the machine.  At 260, your not going to get anywhere near the performance out of the machine as a smaller rider.

I agree. What is a “normal” acceleration to the op might well have always been at the very limits of the wheel. Even for the MSP. It’s really hard to judge from the video, but to me the acceleration looked rather fast. A good bit faster than I (~105kg) ever did on my 84V 1850Wh MSX.

Still odd you didnt get tiltback before it dropped you though

GotWays only tilt back when the battery sags to 0%, not from fe. overcurrent. Since the battery was full and there were no beeps, my guess is that it didn’t sag down to 0%, but that the motor’s output power simply wasn’t sufficient. As the op suggested, headlight and loud music may have broken the camel’s back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:
On 11/1/2020 at 12:04 AM, DjPanJan said:

What happened ?

Have you considered a tire slip? It's possible that on a wet surface, as you demanded more torque, for a moment tire lost traction and pedals dipped

Just gonna write some of my thoughts as I had some slippery experiences now as new rider. It is the unexpected that causes the falls in general. To stay safe is a tricky thing. I for one admit I get into the false safety of expecting performance in all conditions. Leafs, mud and ice are something you need make sure you do not get into that situation with tilted turn or high speed for obvious reasons of not being able to recover, therefore causing fall. FJPanJans fall remains unknown cause. 

During acceleration and turning the rider is at higher risk of slip and fall. Because in such event the motor already was performing to peak performance. Changes of recovery gets smaller as there is not much range for performance to recover any bumb or slip you might run into. 

In short (general safety remainder, sorry for preaching!):

The faster you go, make sure you keep knees bend or you will fly out of the device when you hit a bump(s).

Avoid acceleration in turns.

Try to maintain speed if there are leafs, mud, harder terrain ahead. Obviously slower you go the more changes you have for motor to recover if there are problems with traction.

You are much safer when you accelerate in moderate way, this leaves you with performance for motor to recover from unexpected event.

At max speed, remember that your motor is peak performance. One bump/slip and you could get cutout because your motor would need more performance to recover and maintain you uptop. You should never perform peak performance unless you know the road is in perfect condition prior the performance you make. Always leave some performance available to your device as you ride in unfamiliar areas.

Low battery - Less speed because you just might not have enough to push it. 

Follow weather conditions. If weather was negative celsius during the night and there is water involved, changes are the road is covered in ice.

Stay safe and use gear.

Edited by Tasku
typo fixes
  • Like 3

First off I don't know what happened and I am by far not a GW expert. 

Second I do hope you gain a fully recovery. 

Now after riding my KS16X in the wet I have had some scary moments due to tire slips as I am both braking turning and turning accelerating out in fast L turns in roundabouts on to a cycle lane. If you have sand/mud on tire it can easily happen. So I think @Seba suggestion could be the case.

I also think back to @Mike Sacristan KS16X that had faulty battery connector. Just as a thought if one of the battery pack had no connection for what ever reason then a normal demand could be overstrain causing the wheel to loose balance.

I had once an incident on my KS16X where tire were airborne and causing to loose balance and then recover. In this regard I think the KS16X is fairly good at 'rebooting on the fly'. I don't know how good GW handle an overlean situation. 

Thanks to remind me that these things happen. I started to ride a bit faster on my V11. But I know these situations can happen, and that is why when I ride with speed (my natural limit is about 35ish) I know result of a situation like yous can hurt a lot. A reminder is good and it is so easy to get comfortable with suspension. 

Finally I am not sure you ever know the cause of this incident. And that part is likely going to haunt you for a while. My incidents where I got injured were all pretty straight forward. Your here, not so much. Imo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Oh boy I hope this post is sarcastic as well. Boy oh boy for your sake I hope 

Huh? Thats how a EUC works and balances. You can check out the differences in balancing yourself when you change the weight distribution, just like I described.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:53 AM, mhpr262 said:

but if you DO have to add weight on a vehicle like an EUC it should always be added as high up as possible in order to bring up the center of gravity as much as possible.

You’re dead wrong. Everyone knows a lower center of gravity increases stability and balance. Even your analogy of balancing a stick it will be WAY harder to balance a stick with a weight on the top instead of the weight at the bottom near your palm.

I can only assume you were being highly sarcastic. The women in Africa carrying water jugs on their head have to do that because it’s easier to let the heavy load rest on their heads instead of dragging the full load through their hands for miles. It has nothing to do with balance, it’s just about energy expenditure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Huh? Thats how a EUC works and balances. You can check out the differences in balancing yourself when you change the weight distribution, just like I described.

Just in case you missed it.... my original post was complete bullshit and entirely sarcastic :facepalm:

• Like 2

Few things come into mind reading/watching all this. I am happy for your wellbeing and that you get to tell your story.

1.) Opening the wheel would be next level.

They way I look at those numbers this does not seem to be just and only user error.

2.) I wonder did something fry on moba? Does the wheel work?

Pushing close to 60km/h +conditions, it is at the limit of cutoff.

3.) I would like to know that is there any pothole/crack on the road where you fell?

Last thing coming to my theory of thing is that a strong gust of wind could have overpowered the wheel when it was at its limit. There should be some weather info for that hour to provide peak wind speed. Something like 15m/s wind gust could do that to you from right angle. 

My own tiltback settings I take into account that I want to leave buffer zone 10km from the max speed performance. In case of MSP 60km/h is the end zone. And have noticed I can push 5km/h over the tiltback limit so it would be good to put that into the calculations to make surer you have the 10kph buffer zone left. So for MSP tiltback could start already from 45- 48km/h. 

Hope you a speedy recovery!

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 1