Shield

Veteran Sherman Tire/Tyre Preference   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which tire/tyre will you be getting with the Veteran Sherman

• Offroad
    • Street
    • Both

24 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

The standard tire is not an offload tire really, it's a hybrid tire.

I agree but for the sake of the poll I wanted to see which tire most will be going for. 

11 minutes ago, stephen said:

I think i like the standard tyre but I'd like to see reviews of the road tyre

Same! With the stock tyre receiving such praise I can't help but wonder how a road tyre will fare in comparison. I do hope Kuji can get his road tyre issue sorted and give us a comparison.

• Like 1

I’m surprised there are so many votes for off-road. With the body corners close to the ground at the front it might not be the ultimate off-roader, and the main selling point is speed, which is rather a street tyre thing.

Ill switch mine to H666 as soon as I get it, I don’t wish to have to lift it up after turning, knob sound, reduced street grip and increased power consumption.

Of course I get that off-roaders would want it, but if that is the main use the MSP might be a better fit with its superior torque and ground clearing.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 12:06 PM, null said:

I’m surprised there are so many votes for off-road. With the body corners close to the ground at the front it might not be the ultimate off-roader, and the main selling point is speed, which is rather a street tyre thing.

Ill switch mine to H666 as soon as I get it, I don’t wish to have to lift it up after turning, knob sound, reduced street grip and increased power consumption.

Of course I get that off-roaders would want it, but if that is the main use the MSP might be a better fit with its superior torque and ground clearing.

See I was under this impression too and was thinking it would be silly not to have a street tire if I don't do any trail riding. 

Buuuut Ben pointed out it probably has bigger sidewalls which is important since it gives it more clearance and the corners with the guard rails are a weak point and veteran gave it this tire for a reason...also probably better if you ride in an area with poor road conditions which I do. 

What are your thoughts? Still sold on the street tire? 

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 2

I see your point but really hope the wheel isn’t designed around needing knobs as ground clearance.. I’m sure it is a great wheel nonetheless less, but to me that would have been a shame. I do dirt roads at most in general and can refrain from playing around off-road if needed..
We’ll see how it goes in a few months :)

• Like 1

The handling is probably gonna be so much better with a Street tyre but i dont know. Sherman seems like a good long distance recreational trail ride wheel. I dont mean the fast trail rides but just the usual thing that normal people do with ordinary mountain bikes. In that case the stock tyre would be better. 

My other concern is, what if the roads are wet? That stock tyre probably doesnt have such a good grip on wet asphalt.

• Like 3

Even though the knobby tire has proven itself to do well on and off road I don't want to totally dismiss trying a street tire. In my area we have lots and lots of smooth roads and bike paths. My offroad adventures will be minimal, the areas that are offroad are more like walking paths/trails with minimal bumps and hills. For this reason I would love for someone to give feedback using the Sherman with a street tire prior to shipment. Either way I think I will be ordering mine with a street tire and purchasing the knobby tire separately. 

My other concern is, what if the roads are wet? That stock tyre probably doesnt have such a good grip on wet asphalt.

The knobs on the stock tire are very soft, and they grip marvelously on wet pavement. Since they are soft, the tire does have a slight bit of play under extreme riding conditions, but the grip doesn’t get lost as abruptly as it does on a solid street tire.

One point regarding the ground clearance  on off-road vs street tire: The only times that I’ve been able to scratch my MSX pedals on flat pavement was on a trials tire identical to the stock Sherman off-road tire. The wheel tilts more with the off-roader while turning, enough so that even the taller profile doesn’t save from an earlier ground contact on tight turns.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The knobs on the stock tire are very soft, and they grip marvelously on wet pavement. Since they are soft, the tire does have a slight bit of play under extreme riding conditions, but the grip doesn’t get lost as abruptly as it does on a solid street tire.

One point regarding the ground clearance  on off-road vs street tire: The only times that I’ve been able to scratch my MSX pedals on flat pavement was on a trials tire identical to the stock Sherman off-road tire. The wheel tilts more with the off-roader while turning, enough so that even the taller profile doesn’t save from an earlier ground contact on tight turns.

Wait, so you think that a street tire would give more clearance for riding and turning sharply on flat pavement?

13 hours ago, MrRobot said:

Wait, so you think that a street tire would give more clearance for riding and turning sharply on flat pavement?

Possibly and even probably yes. It does on the MSX, versus a tire identical to the Sherman’s stock tire. Any wheel will have more tendency staying upright with a non-knobby, even in tight slow speed turns.

• Like 2

hello BTW:... I am new to the EUC world... 

I place my preorder for the Sherman... going to be a great machine to grow into..never ridden one before... . anyone have any suggestions or sites that sell aftermarket things for EUCs besides the company I ordered the wheel from???..

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:53 PM, null said:

I see your point but really hope the wheel isn’t designed around needing knobs as ground clearance.. I’m sure it is a great wheel nonetheless less, but to me that would have been a shame. I do dirt roads at most in general and can refrain from playing around off-road if needed..
We’ll see how it goes in a few months :)

I don't see it having much clearance for corners if you remove the knobby tire...

Sherman-Electricunicycleleftsidefull-102

But all account (Marty, Kuji, Ian from SpeedyFeet) all say it behaves excellent on-road with the stock tire

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eve said:

107830463_280600146559075_41926947084111107956536_755724751827857_28843591773833

For people thinking that they will not be able to offroad at all with the street tyre. Its a good one. Both are good. This one just focuses more on street performance but i think it will be good enough for some offroad too. 

Is this the street tire ewheels is giving? Who's wheel is this? Any impressions on how it handles and if it's any significantly lower with the roll cage? 

• Like 1

This is the official tyre that goes on the Sherman. So most likely the one eWheels is going to sell. I didnt ride it. Cant say really this a photo from a chinese seller.

Edited by eve
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Will R said:

Does anyone know the model spec of this street tyre pictured? 

@Will R It is a Kenda motorcycle spec tyre in 2.75-14 dimensions (so exactly the same size and spec as the knobby Kenda K262). The model number is K340 (A) Kuji tried this tyre out on his Sherman, but was running the pressure far too low and threw it off whilst riding! More details can be found on the Chinese Kenda website at the following link: https://tinyurl.com/yb6newxq

TB2z.ydlHtlpuFjSspoXXbcDpXa_!!286708177.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 2:22 AM, fbhb said:

@Will R It is a Kenda motorcycle spec tyre in 2.75-14 dimensions (so exactly the same size and spec as the knobby Kenda K262). The model number is K340 (A) Kuji tried this tyre out on his Sherman, but was running the pressure far too low and threw it off whilst riding! More details can be found on the Chinese Kenda website at the following link: https://tinyurl.com/yb6newxq

TB2z.ydlHtlpuFjSspoXXbcDpXa_!!286708177.

I see Kuji is only somewhat active on this forum. Anyone have a way to contact him to see what his impressions are on which tire he prefers? Would love to hear his opinion since he's ridden with both and see if he thinks the street tire still gives the roll cage enough clearance and has enough sidewall support!

Edited by MrRobot

Hi all,

I am new to the EUC community and EUC riding.  I am just waiting on my Sherman to arrive at eWheels.  They mentioned I would have my choice of which tire to get once the shipment arrives.

Do you have recommendations for which tire is best to learn on?

On 7/22/2020 at 6:16 AM, Violinfun said:

Do you have recommendations for which tire is best to learn on?

Take the street tyre. It will be easier to learn on. The knobby tyre makes balancing a little bit wonky and sharp turns are harder to execute.