Shield

Veteran Sherman Tire/Tyre Preference   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which tire/tyre will you be getting with the Veteran Sherman

• Offroad
    • Street
    • Both

9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

don't see any issue with the true Vet stock tire, what guys are calling "off-road", when really it's not a true aggressive off-road knobby.

In general, I like this kind of tread pattern, may regular square blocks, reminiscent of the stock Monster CST and often seen on retro scooter/moped tires. It's night and day, especially when the road conditions get slick

That’s good to hear, since I ordered mine with the original stock tire (not the road tire). Anybody has any ideas how this tire will behave on a wet slippery road or on ice and snow?

Tubeless pros & cons (my view)

PROS:

- More resistant to puncture, especially with slime (thicker rubber to seal against + no risk of de-vulking any patches with slime)

- Slower air loss vs tube = more time to react on a puncture (a hole on a thin tube just needs to pass fractions of a mm of rubber and blows out the air between rim and tyre + valve hole)

- "Easier" (with the right tools) and cheaper to fix puncture temporary (no need to remove tyre if you want to temporary rubber plug it, but if at all long time mending is considered, the plug should be drawn from the inside of the tyre and out after drilling apropriate hole size)

- Less rotational mass due to no tube (unless the tubeless tyre is heavier in itself)

- often tyre side wall stifness is higher leading to less sideway shift when turning, at least on motor bike tyres.

CONS

- slime can disolve corded part of tyre, causing a tyre explosion.

- Risky business to DIY a switch to tubeless.

EUC rims seem to be made for bicycle tyres or there would be more companies going tubeless. The rim bead on a tubeless tyre (and most of all rim) is different than a bicycle non tubeless rim/tyre.

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a27628336/tubeless-tires-guide/

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I dunno about you lot but I changed the horrible nobbly original tyre and swapped out for a Michelin city pro and the Sherman now performs exceptionally well it is the best thing to do on your Sherman. Make sure you opt for the 80/90/14 

The agility and effortlessness of power just makes the Sherman the best wheel.

Comprised with my buddy sai pads and my own creation of spiked grip papered pedals make the Sherman an absolute beast.

If you're interested in custom bespoke perfect pedals message me and il sort you a pair out.

In a world where grip is king spiked grip pedals rule

Screenshot_20210325-035107.png

Screenshot_20210325-035823.png

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 4:58 AM, Number1stunner said:

I dunno about you lot but I changed the horrible nobbly original tyre and swapped out for a Michelin city pro and the Sherman now performs exceptionally well it is the best thing to do on your Sherman. Make sure you opt for the 80/90/14 

The agility and effortlessness of power just makes the Sherman the best wheel

Comprised with my buddy sai pads and my own creation of spiked grip papered pedals make the Sherman an absolute beast.

If you're interested in custom bespoke perfect pedals message me and il sort you a pair out.

In a world where grip is king spiked grip pedals rule

Screenshot_20210325-035107.png

Pad comercial aside, what did make You prefer the michelin tyre over the tested knobby?
Did You ever take the knobby to the limit (aka falling) and doing the same with the Mich? Also meassuring lean angle for both?
Or is it just "your feeling" or "think it looks more rad" or "fill in your comment" ?

As previous editor said - did You manage to go tubeless?
Is the tyre built like amotor bike tyre (kevlar reinforced sidewals - making sideway stability SUPERIOR) and most of all is the BEAD made for the Sherman bicycle rim? I mean it looks nice - but if its the wrong bead - I pray You are still well and alive

A comment without a background nor facts is worth....nothing...sorry mate

Edited by Boogieman