Shield

Veteran Sherman Tire/Tyre Preference   

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which tire/tyre will you be getting with the Veteran Sherman

• Offroad
    • Street
    • Both

On 7/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, Imakepowerfromthesun said:

hello BTW:... I am new to the EUC world... 

I place my preorder for the Sherman... going to be a great machine to grow into..never ridden one before... . anyone have any suggestions or sites that sell aftermarket things for EUCs besides the company I ordered the wheel from???..

Join my Telegram group so you can participate in our Southern California group rides. See link in my Signature.

2 hours ago, null said:

Speaking of tyres, what pressure do you use? I come from a 18XL with a 50psi hard 18x2,5 tyre, and having 30psi on the Sherman feels suspisciously soft.

I ride my KS18XL at about 50 PSI as well. I'm supposed to get my KS S18 delivered today which will be my second wheel ever. Then soon I'll bet getting my Sherman delivered as well and I too want to decide on what tire to choose once eWheels gives me the option which should be in a week or so.

I want the Sherman for on-road speed; not off-road. I'll have the S18 for that. So I lean toward the street tire for the Sherman, but Kuji gave it a bad review and said he prefers the knobby tire for speeds greater than 30-MPH. Go figure?! So I'm really torn right now. It could be that Kuji didn't install the street tire properly or something. It really sucks that Veteran only sent out knobby tired versions to everyone who made reviews. They are really making us "gamble" on how the street tire will perform when installed OEM. I'm thinking the knobby tire might wear down quickly with constant street riding as well.

Veteran should have provided more Shermans with street tires for people to review prior to mass production.

Edited by Bridgeboy

Kuji said the street tyre was better for anything lower speed, so I guess it depends what your aiming at. AFAIK the knobby blurs out détails which make it less sharp at low speed, but more stable at high (road imperfections are less likely to disturb)

The knobby I have is fine but I’ll probably swap to street for range and nimbleness.

3 hours ago, null said:

Kuji said the street tyre was better for anything lower speed, so I guess it depends what your aiming at.

Exactly. I'm buying the Sherman because it's the fastest EUC there is and I'm aiming at high speeds. So, I'm disappointed in Kuji's review and disposition concerning the street tire. But since he is literally the only person to have reviewed the Sherman with a street tire I can't help but feel his review is inconclusive.

Meanwhile we have a dozen+ reviews of the Sherman with the knobby tire... 

So, those of us who choose the street tire are taking a gamble that it won't be as bad as Kuji thought; or we simply don't take the chance and play it safe by choosing knobby tire since that is what everyone has reviewed and is pretty much all we really know very much about ATM.

39 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

All the possible 14" rim tire candidates I've found for the Vet:

1200px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Shinko Dual Sport 244 (MotoSport) (BikeBandit) (RevZilla)

9344-58b5adecb26b8.jpg2.75-14, 20" overall diameter

1200px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Shinko SR241 Trials (BikeBandit) (RevZilla)

5e11-58b59bb12c186.jpg2.75-14, 20" overall diameter

1200px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png Duro HF307 Trail (RevZilla)

duro_hf307_tires_750x750.jpg2.75-14 - no overall diameter, but sidewall doesn't look too high, should fit

Flag_of_France.svg Michelin Pilot (MotoSport) (BikeBandit) (JPCycles)

305-2970_A_V1.jpg70/90-14; if 3.15" wide fits: 80/80-14; 80/90-14; 80/100-14 

1200px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Continental ContiScoot (JPCycles) (MotoSport) (BikeBandit)

X001.jpgif 3.15" wide fits: 80/90-14 (tubeless)

Flag_of_Italy.svg Pirelli Angel (MotoSport) (CycleGear)

pirelli_angel_scooter_tires_750x750.jpgif 3.15" wide fits: 80/80-14 (tubeless)

1200px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Heidenau K66 4-Season (CycleGear) (RevZilla)

heidenau_k66_tl_tires_750x750.jpgif 3.15" wide fits: 80/80-14 (tubeless)

1200px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png IRC NR77 (JPCycles) (BikeBandit)

220-1278_A_V1.jpg70/90-14; if 3.15" wide fits: 80/90-14

Flag_of_the_United_States.svg Avon AM63 Viper Stryke (JPCycles) (MotoSport) (BikeBandit) (CycleGear)

974-542_A_V1.jpgif 3.15" wide fits: 80/90-14 (tubeless)

... and full knobby, if that's your thing:

1200px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Shinko 525 (BikeBandit)

shinko-525-motorcycle-tire.jpgif 3.15" wide fits: 80/100-14

... plus all other smaller Chinese 3" wide 18-19" diameter tires that fit on the MSX/MSP should fit here as well.

That's an impresive list, thank you for sharing this. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Sure.

I noticed, you listed some tubeless tires as well. Is it possible to use a tubeless tire with the Sherman? And how would that feel?  Would it be very different than a regular tire? Has anybody any experience with a tubeless tire on an MSX or MSP? I would love to see a review of any member who mounted a tubeless tire. Sorry, if I am asking dumb questions, but I’m not a bike guy and know nothing about tires. ☺️ 

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I noticed, you listed some tubeless tires as well. Is it possible to use a tubeless tire with the Sherman? And how would that feel?  Would it be very different than a regular tire? Has anybody any experience with a tubeless tire on an MSX or MSP? I would love to see a review of any member who mounted a tubeless tire. Sorry, if I am asking dumb questions, but I’m not a bike guy and know nothing about tires. ☺️ 

Why not? With the right bottle of tire sealant like Stans and a tire valve, should be able to convert to tubeless. As @Willy510 notes, Tarzan is running a Continental tubeless tire on his Vet, and I believe I’ve seen guys running similar tires on their MSX/MSP’s, although I’m not remembering which make and models (some shell having might be required).

As for feel, it really depends on what you’re going for, what your priorities are. Tires like the majority of the tubeless ones mentioned, tend to be more for racing: rubber compound with less aggressive traction, soft enough to stick for traction, but hard enough for speed; more rounded sidewall edges for easier carving. Personally, I prefer a more balanced tire with more regular tread, because New York City streets are so crappy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Why not? With the right bottle of tire sealant like Stans and a tire valve, should be able to convert to tubeless. As @Willy510 notes, Tarzan is running a Continental tubeless tire on his Vet, and I believe I’ve seen guys running similar tires on their MSX/MSP’s, although I’m not remembering which make and models (some shell having might be required).

As for feel, it really depends on what you’re going for, what your priorities are. Tires like the majority of the tubeless ones mentioned, tend to be more for racing: rubber compound with less aggressive traction, soft enough to stick for traction, but hard enough for speed; more rounded sidewall edges for easier carving. Personally, I prefer a more balanced tire with more regular tread, because New York City streets are so crappy.

So what tire are you going with? I have similar conditions here in Chicago. Roads are terrible. 

3 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

So what tire are you going with? I have similar conditions here in Chicago. Roads are terrible. 

I don't see any issue with the true Vet stock tire, what guys are calling "off-road", when really it's not a true aggressive off-road knobby.

In general, I like this kind of tread pattern, may regular square blocks, reminiscent of the stock Monster CST and often seen on retro scooter/moped tires. It's night and day, especially when the road conditions get slick.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I don't think that converting to tubeless is a good idea unless they made the rim with a tubeless profile. It always sounds like a great idea but if you look around at all the conversion attempts with bicycles , motorcycles you don't find too many happy with it long term stories. You loose the ability to run lower pressures and when you hit a big enough bump and loose seal at all it will instantly deflate and probably damage your rim.  I have converted a spoke rim motorcycle that was successful and 2 bicycles that had limited success and tubes are just much easier until the rim has the tubeless profile

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Willy510 said:

I don't think that converting to tubeless is a good idea unless they made the rim with a tubeless profile. It always sounds like a great idea but if you look around at all the conversion attempts with bicycles , motorcycles you don't find too many happy with it long term stories. You loose the ability to run lower pressures and when you hit a big enough bump and loose seal at all it will instantly deflate and probably damage your rim.  I have converted a spoke rim motorcycle that was successful and 2 bicycles that had limited success and tubes are just much easier until the rim has the tubeless profile

LOL, I didn't say I wanted to convert to tubeless, I just said that it was possible ;) 

To me, it's more trouble than it's worth the minimal gains, and compared to the alternatives.

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

LOL, I didn't say I wanted to convert to tubeless, I just said that it was possible ;) 

To me, it's more trouble than it's worth the minimal gains, and compared to the alternatives.

:DYea , I have yet to see anyone that has converted , except for certain spoked motorcycle rims, that has been happy long term but there have been tons of people that went down that rabbit hole. I even stopped for a guy last year that was carrying his bike on his shoulder and when I rolled my window down I just said "tubeless conversion"  and he just looked down at the ground. "throw it in the back" and on the ride I learned he had gone way down the "tubeless" rabbit hole and was finally done walking and just gonna buy the right rims or just put tubes back in. 

5 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

:DYea , I have yet to see anyone that has converted , except for certain spoked motorcycle rims, that has been happy long term but there have been tons of people that went down that rabbit hole. I even stopped for a guy last year that was carrying his bike on his shoulder and when I rolled my window down I just said "tubeless conversion"  and he just looked down at the ground. "throw it in the back" and on the ride I learned he had gone way down the "tubeless" rabbit hole and was finally done walking and just gonna buy the right rims or just put tubes back in. 

@Toshio Uemura FWIW, apparently Tarzan is using his tubeless Continental with a tube. I think there's a trick to doing this, but didn't pay attention that closely when those guys were talking about this, as I have no desire to use a tubeless tire, there are enough tubed selections IMHO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Toshio Uemura FWIW, apparently Tarzan is using his tubeless Continental with a tube. I think there's a trick to doing this, but didn't pay attention that closely when those guys were talking about this, as I have no desire to use a tubeless tire, there are enough tubed selections IMHO.

You can use tubes in tubeless tires, no trick needed. The sidewall and wire rim are usually a bit stiffer than tubeless so usually a bit harder it get on but not much if you know what you're doing..  It's just a really bad idea to run a tube tire without at tube at higher speeds and lower pressures.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Willy510 said:

Ny Tarzan has the Conti Scoot tire 80/90-14 on a Sherman and the only thing I saw that he said about it was that it was "perfect

Thanks a lot! That tire looks really great. I wish we could order our new wheels with the custom tires that our hearts desire already installed by the manufacturer. 😝 

• Like 1