Alternatives to Demon Flexmeter D3O?

5 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Got the Flexmeters tonight..... and I am really disappointed!

They are comfortable and seem to be high quality... But: they go much further up your arm then any other wrist guard, which unfortunately means they do not pair very well with my new Armored Hoodie. They are too tight to go over the Armored Hoodie's sleeve, and the hoodie is too tight to have the Flexmeter's under the sleeve.  Quite the dilemma. 

It might be better if I had a large instead of a medium, but I doubt it - they look kind of silly (huge) when they are worn over the sleeve. I'll give them another try tomorrow but so far it looks like I will be returning them and sticking with my double sided Triple 8s (which I recently had a really bad crash while wearing, this has increased my confidence in them and that they are sufficient for the job).

Thats been my issue too. I loved them when i was dressing light. Light garbage elbow pads and a tshirt. But i wear a motorcycle jacket now, and i cant pull back the cuff far enough to get them under. Its a whole disaster. And i cant put them on first then slide my hand through. 

13 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Got the Flexmeters tonight..... and I am really disappointed!

They are comfortable and seem to be high quality... But: they go much further up your arm then any other wrist guard, which unfortunately means they do not pair very well with my new Armored Hoodie. They are too tight to go over the Armored Hoodie's sleeve, and the hoodie is too tight to have the Flexmeter's under the sleeve.  Quite the dilemma. 

It might be better if I had a large instead of a medium, but I doubt it - they look kind of silly (huge) when they are worn over the sleeve. I'll give them another try tomorrow but so far it looks like I will be returning them and sticking with my double sided Triple 8s (which I recently had a really bad crash while wearing, this has increased my confidence in them and that they are sufficient for the job).

They go far up the forearm for a reason. If you read about why they are perhaps the best, it has to do with distributing the impact force away from your wrist.

Yes, always compromises.

• Like 1

I always say Flexmeters for summer (when I wouldn't be wearing a heavy sleeve like a coat sleeve down to my wrist), but I prefer the Gyroriderz for winter--wrist protection and comfort might be a slight step down but still good, and they're far warmer and a bit easier to wear with a coat. Of course if you're still wearing an armored jacket even in the summer that distinction wouldn't work.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, Antec said:

I wanted some FlexMeter Double Sided and there were none in UK in Size Large

I ordered from this US store: https://craftandride.com/products/flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guards-d30?_pos=1&_sid=be661277f&_ss=r

I was in 2 minds so left the item in the basket and after a day i received a free international shipping code, which was awesome, arrved in about 2 weeks via normal post.

Code: ONEWHEEL also gives $5 off if that helps

Thanks, I’ve receipt the code for freeshipping with your idea but not possible with ONEWHEEL, then it’s freeshipping or discount 5 dollars but not the 2 in same time.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, Antec said:

I wanted some FlexMeter Double Sided and there were none in UK in Size Large

I ordered from this US store: https://craftandride.com/products/flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guards-d30?_pos=1&_sid=be661277f&_ss=r

I was in 2 minds so left the item in the basket and after a day i received a free international shipping code, which was awesome, arrved in about 2 weeks via normal post.

Code: ONEWHEEL also gives $5 off if that helps

Hi, I wanted to thank you for this tip! I did as indicated and sure enough I received the free shipping code (would have cost me an extra $26.50) to ship to Spain. Hopefully I will not have to pay any import fees (just realized that 1 day after I put in the order).

I got size Large as well. Based on your experience, is it possible to wear gloves under the wrist guards? Or is it better to wear them on top?

Anyway, thanks again for your post; much appreciated!!

My triple 8's were too small, but I used them for awhile before getting the flexmeters. I , personally found the flexmeters a great fit and better product. Any tight sleeve will be an issue if you need to wear something else next to it. 

I think size and fit DO fit into the equation.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 8:53 AM, Purplecycle said:

Hi, I wanted to thank you for this tip! I did as indicated and sure enough I received the free shipping code (would have cost me an extra $26.50) to ship to Spain. Hopefully I will not have to pay any import fees (just realized that 1 day after I put in the order).

I got size Large as well. Based on your experience, is it possible to wear gloves under the wrist guards? Or is it better to wear them on top?

Anyway, thanks again for your post; much appreciated!!

I received the Flexmeters on Monday (took less than a week to ship to Spain) and they are very, very comfortable! I have to agree with other posters who mentioned they go higher up on the arm -- I have yet to try them on with my armor jacket, but in general I am satisfied with my purchase.

• Like 2

I had my first real off last week, wearing the Flexmeters, hit the ground at about 10-15mph.  I got a lot of rash on my right hand, around the outside of the palm and up the side of my pinky finger.  I even got come rash toward the bottom of my palm, which is completely covered.  I'm guessing the thing must have slid back a little when it hit, which would have cause the rash at the bottom of my palm and allowed the sides of my hand to scrape the ground directly.

I've been happy with them so far, but not after this first crash.  They are designed for snowboarding where road rash isn't an issue, and you have a big fluffy snow glove for additional padding.  I think they're great for wrist protection but not optimal for road use.

I did purchase a pair of Hillbilly half-fingers and got them today.  The fit is atrocious so I'm returning them.  I might try the 888 half-finger ones but I suspect they'll have a similar issue. 

From reading through this thread, it doesn't seem like there are any generally accepted alternatives out there.  I find it odd that nobody has complained about the lack of protection for the fingers... I don't think I went down in a particularly weird way or anything, so I can't imagine that kind of injury while wearing them is rare.  Are people pairing them with gloves?  Over or under the pads?  What kinds of gloves?

• 2 weeks later...

I wear goatskin gardening gloves under—keeps the fingers warm and should reduce road rash on the fingers (I really hope so anyway). But flexmeters are a royal pain to get on and off, and while I can zip my armored jacket sleeves over them, it’s a pretty tight fit. I’ve gone back to the freebies eWheels included since they’re shorter and are much easier on and off. 

On 10/21/2020 at 2:55 AM, Stillhart said:

I had my first real off last week, wearing the Flexmeters, hit the ground at about 10-15mph.  I got a lot of rash on my right hand, around the outside of the palm and up the side of my pinky finger.  I even got come rash toward the bottom of my palm, which is completely covered.  I'm guessing the thing must have slid back a little when it hit, which would have cause the rash at the bottom of my palm and allowed the sides of my hand to scrape the ground directly.

I've been happy with them so far, but not after this first crash.  They are designed for snowboarding where road rash isn't an issue, and you have a big fluffy snow glove for additional padding.  I think they're great for wrist protection but not optimal for road use.

I did purchase a pair of Hillbilly half-fingers and got them today.  The fit is atrocious so I'm returning them.  I might try the 888 half-finger ones but I suspect they'll have a similar issue. 

From reading through this thread, it doesn't seem like there are any generally accepted alternatives out there.  I find it odd that nobody has complained about the lack of protection for the fingers... I don't think I went down in a particularly weird way or anything, so I can't imagine that kind of injury while wearing them is rare.  Are people pairing them with gloves?  Over or under the pads?  What kinds of gloves?

Unfortunately I have to agree with you... I finally had some time to do some off-road last weekend and I was able to 'test' the Flexmeters (fell at about 25-30Kmph). This is my experience:

Pros:

• Comfortable
  • Quality materials, they seem durable
  • hey run higher up the arm than other wrist protectors, which can be problematic when wearing armored jackets. In my case, however, I have a Dainese Armoform Manis and I solved this issue by putting the Flexmeters on underneath the armored jacket.
  • D3O

Cons:

• Too warm, even when not wearing gloves
  • When falling, they do not protect the fingers (when I fell, I got my fingers bruised -- nothing serious, just some skin came off)
  • The skid plates are removable, which is good for washing, but I think they should not be stuck with velcro. When I fell, dirt got underneath the velcro (on the sticky side of the velcro) and so the velcro does not stick anymore. Can be easily solved with double-sided tape, but still...something to consider

Overall I am happy with the Flexmeters, and considering I went through at least 5 cheaper alternatives in the past couple of years, I think it was a good purchase.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, Stillhart said:

I find it odd that nobody has complained about the lack of protection for the fingers

This thread was about wrists guards, not gloves/fingers. Try a pair of "cut proof" gloves if you want something tough to protect your fingers and wear under your wrist guards.

• 3 weeks later...

I got tired of my flexmeters + gloves and annoyed by the early fraying on the flex. so I now use racing mc gloves such as the sp8 v2 from alpinestar with a cut out hip d3o protection inserted in the sleeve that reaches below the palm + piece of thickish leather inserted in the top part to prevent overextension. Works great.

Yeah you have to look after the Flexmeters, by way of making sure that when removed, the Velcro bits are re-attached to each other. If left free to roam they will attach themselves all over the place and when you pull them free you will, over time, destroy the fabric all over the guards. It's a bit of a pain but for me they work so well and give such good protection that I carry on using them. A bit hot in summer (most decent protection is though) and I would like to be able to get decent finger abrasion protection underneath them but my wrists are more important than some grazed/cut fingers. I can comfortably get some suede/alcantara type thin MX gloves underneath no problem, so I go with them usually. I use Thor ones, like these for anyone interested:

https://www.moovitvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=560093

I have cut off all the Velcro points around the wrist area to make them more comfortable under the flexmeters. The Velcro isn't needed anyway.

• 3 months later...
On 22.06.2020 at 7:24, Tryptych said:

Sunt dezamăgit că nu există nimic bun între Triple 8 (C $ 25) și Flexmeters (C $ 150). Se pare că sunt singurul de pe piață care vrea să cheltuiască aproximativ 75 USD:(

https://myewheel.com/gyroriderz-gloves/

Pe 21.06.2020 la 9:17, Triptic a spus:

Îmi doresc foarte mult o pereche de aceste Flexmetre Demon, dar cu transportul vor fi de 150 USD CAD

Flexmeter pentru protecția încheiaturii mâinii cu două fețe D3O

Poate cineva recomanda o alternativă mai ieftină? Vreau ceva premium - o actualizare a eWheels-urilor pentru încheierea mâinilor incluse când mi-am cumpărat roata.

https://myewheel.com/gyroriderz-gloves/

• 1 month later...

After rollerblading for the last four years, I've gone through a lot of wrist guards.  Triple8 makes great pads, but their wrist guards are just plain awful.  Their higher-end wrist guards, the Hired Hands, which feature fingerless gloves, will fall apart under normal use.  The stitching around the fingers and thumbs will fail, the pull loops will get pulled off, they'll do nothing but disappoint.

I can only recommend the Ennui City Brace.  It's the very best I've come across, and they've already saved me a trip to the ER when I crashed at 28mph.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:13 PM, GPW said:

Have tried a ton if wrist guards (a lot of order return trial and error), so happy to weigh in and save trial and error for others. 

• No gloves, built in gloves, or separate gloves and wrist guard combo?: I agree with comment about fingers being exposed with just wrist guards. I found I preferred light mtb gloves (like these link) used with wristguards like flexmeter as opposed to the combo wristguard gloves (or half finger gloves). But total personal preference. 
  • What I ended up using:
    • Flexmeters: Best protection in my view. Have had some minor durability issues, but less than most other wristguards. Length can be a problem with armored hoodie or some elbow guards. Prefer these when I can wear. 
    • TSG Professional Wristguard: For when I can't wear the flexmeters, found these to be the next best alternative. Built well. Easy to take on and off. Feel protective, though not as long as the flexmeters, so don't have the same issue wearing with armored hoodie etc.. 
    • Separate light mtb gloves (like these link): Use with wristguards above. Not a ton of protection for fingers, but a lot better than no glove. Fit well and very breathable. 
  • Others I tried:

Hey @GPW, when you Say : "But total personal preference. ", what are your arguments ? :) I research a good solution for Wristguard. Thanks you very much 😀 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 1:13 PM, GPW said:

Have tried a ton if wrist guards (a lot of order return trial and error), so happy to weigh in and save trial and error for others. 

• No gloves, built in gloves, or separate gloves and wrist guard combo?: I agree with comment about fingers being exposed with just wrist guards. I found I preferred light mtb gloves (like these link) used with wristguards like flexmeter as opposed to the combo wristguard gloves (or half finger gloves). But total personal preference. 
  • What I ended up using:
    • Flexmeters: Best protection in my view. Have had some minor durability issues, but less than most other wristguards. Length can be a problem with armored hoodie or some elbow guards. Prefer these when I can wear. 
    • TSG Professional Wristguard: For when I can't wear the flexmeters, found these to be the next best alternative. Built well. Easy to take on and off. Feel protective, though not as long as the flexmeters, so don't have the same issue wearing with armored hoodie etc.. 
    • Separate light mtb gloves (like these link): Use with wristguards above. Not a ton of protection for fingers, but a lot better than no glove. Fit well and very breathable. 
  • Others I tried:

The TSG Professional Wristguards are not dual sided, which is really important imo - I'd never wear a single sided wrist guard if I can avoid it.

The Triple 8 Wrist Saver II are the best alternative to the Flexmeter's that I've found - they have splints on front and back. The Flexmeter's are ridiculously priced at $150 when I can get the Triple 8s for $26.  The only problem with the Triple 8's is they wear out after a year or so but at that price it's a fair deal.

Edited by Tryptych

1 hour ago, Tryptych said:

The TSG Professional Wristguards are not dual sided, which is really important imo - I'd never wear a single sided wrist guard if I can avoid it.

The TSG professional wristguards have plastic splints on both the top and the bottom. So definitely dual sided.

30 minutes ago, kelec_947 said:

Hello @GPW have you tried Hillbilly half finger ? I search a good gloves with WristGuard :) thanks a lot

I haven't tried them. I know a lot of people like them. I believe that one key difference between the hillbilly gloves and the triple eight hired hands is that the hillbilly gloves don't have a back plate while the triple eight hired hands do. Might be something to consider if I have that right, though not jumping to any conclusions since I haven't tried them.