Alternatives to Demon Flexmeter D3O?

I really want a pair of these Demon Flexmeters but with shipping they will be $150 CAD

Flexmeter Wrist Guard Double Sided D3O

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? I do want something premium - an upgrade to the wrist guards eWheels included when I bought my wheel.

• Like 1

The Triple 8 wrist guards seem to be liked by everybody. Here's @Marty Backe's gear list, includes a link: https://www.electricunicycleworld.com/p/my-equipment.html

Not sure how they compare to the elusive, hard-to-buy Demons (he has a link to those, too, maybe this gives a better price for you).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I really want a pair of these Demon Flexmeters but with shipping they will be $150 CAD

If you really want the Demon then buy them.  Otherwise you will never be satisfied.  It took me a while before I bit the bullet and purchased Flexmeter.

Here's a listing on eBay.ca for a size small on sale for $103.11 CAD including shipping.

Bruce.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Flexmeter Wrist Guard Double Sided D3O

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? I do want something premium - an upgrade to the wrist guards eWheels included when I bought my wheel.

Unfortunately, the Flexmeter's do fit your description of premium. But I have zero regrets continuing to recommend them. They are now probably the most common guards that I see on my local rides. They exude quality and my hands/wrists have survived multiple very hard hits while wearing them. There are never guarantees that you still can't get hurt even with these, but I'm sticking with them.

But if you're OK with less of a premium, the Triple-8's are certainly nice. For some of my more casual riding I wear the Triple-8's that I have listed in the link that @meepmeepmayer provided above.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

i'm disappointed there is nothing good in between the Triple 8's (C$25) and the Flexmeters (C$150). Apparently I am the only one in the market that wants to spend about C$75 :(

An update: I've ordered a Triple8 wristguard/glove combo for C$65. I will try them out, but they are not exactly what I am looking for and will probably get returned.

More suggestions welcomed!

image.png.d719afc6e58c75b035d3a0a841518e8a.png        image.png.ea816bcd559db1b8dfb904fff2b2e064.png

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003BAJKVQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

• Like 1

Sorry, I can only suggest you enjoy what you've ordered or wear flexmeters. If Flexmeters are too expensive, I'd keep what you have on the way, as I'd imagine you wont do much better until you take the expensive leap.  Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who wears little gear most times. I WILL NOT wear something that isnt comfy and not worth the bother. Kind of safer and kind of comfortable is bullshit and the gear will NEVER be worn. Saving $50 but having to compromise, is wasted effort on me. You may REALLY like the triple 8's, we are all different shapes. I tried a few on before ordering the FM's. I didnt want to spend the $$, but hated everything. I sent my first pair of FM back as they were too big. I honestly would have said to hell with it, had the second try with the fm, not work out. Luckily, they meet my criteria and have/will be used at times.  Fwiw, I was also on my LAST TRY for comfy kneepads and got lucky too. Just my $.02...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Sorry, I can only suggest you enjoy what you've ordered or wear flexmeters. If Flexmeters are too expensive, I'd keep what you have on the way, as I'd imagine you wont do much better until you take the expensive leap.  Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who wears little gear most times. I WILL NOT wear something that isnt comfy and not worth the bother. Kind of safer and kind of comfortable is bullshit and the gear will NEVER be worn. Saving $50 but having to compromise, is wasted effort on me. You may REALLY like the triple 8's, we are all different shapes. I tried a few on before ordering the FM's. I didnt want to spend the $$, but hated everything. I sent my first pair of FM back as they were too big. I honestly would have said to hell with it, had the second try with the fm, not work out. Luckily, they meet my criteria and have/will be used at times.  Fwiw, I was also on my LAST TRY for comfy kneepads and got lucky too. Just my $.02...

You make a point that I don't emphasize enough with the Flexmeter's. They are extremely comfortable wrist guards compared to every other pair I've used.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You make a point that I don't emphasize enough with the Flexmeter's. They are extremely comfortable wrist guards compared to every other pair I've used.

My ONLY complaint (aside from price), is that they are a little warm. Of course, ANY gear that protects for shit, pretty much has to be.  I'll have to dust mine off and wear them again soon. Sucks tho, the more I wear them, the more chance that they might get scratched up. Flexmeters are proof that when you are at the pinnacle, your mark-up can be retarded and youll still sell them. On a side note... D30 is my fav foam. Idk if it matters in the flexmeters, but it sure does in ALL my other armor.:)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Flexmeters are proof that when you are at the pinnacle, your mark-up can be retarded and youll still sell them.

On first look, I read that as "you mark-up for the retarded and you'll still sell to them" and was nonetheless going to strongly agree with that;)

Downside with flexmeters for me is that you cant remove the padding for when you wash em. That sucks a bit, but not the worst, a cold wash and airdry still works. But the other thing is, they're super hard to put on with my MC jacket. I've started wearing gyroriderz more often than not instead. 

A friend of me recommended me the wrist guards from Pro Designed next to the Flexmeters. I don't have any personal experience with them but they seem to fill the gap between the Tripple 8's and the Flexmeters. Texas based and has options for custom sizing. http://www.prodesigned.com/details/accessories_wristguards.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bionic24 said:

A friend of me recommended me the wrist guards from Pro Designed next to the Flexmeters. I don't have any personal experience with them but they seem to fill the gap between the Tripple 8's and the Flexmeters. Texas based and has options for custom sizing. http://www.prodesigned.com/details/accessories_wristguards.html

They look nice but are more expensive than the Flexmeter's.

Hey, I'm in Canada too. Ended up getting the Hillbilly Wristguards from Amazon after seeing it recommended many times. My wrists already survived around 4 crashes with it.

I originally wanted Flexmeters as well, but shipping to Canada is indeed too much.

• Like 3

The problem with the gloves that have the bent plastic on the inner palm,rather than the flat skid plate in the flexmeters, as when u hit the ground in them,they do not disperse the force over a large area like the plate.They do not bend and absorb but shoot all the force into the inside of the hand along the width of the plastic insert.I know this because the bastards broke my hand and now i use flexmeters!I took the cheap option when starting out  and paid the price!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Albatross said:

I got my flexmeters via Amazon a few days ago. So comfortable!!! Loving them. 

Most suggested items around here are

1) Flexmeters...

2)Gotway mten...

Predictable results everytime someone buys either one. Glad you like em Alba! The price hurts, but you quickly get over it, once you put them on...

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, Antec said:

A decent price.

Bruce

BTW, there's a few more options here if you're in Canada. The store is Toronto based.

I know I've suggested the cheaper wrist guards a few comments up, but I'm only around 130lbs. and felt that they were sufficient for me on my falls. I imagine a heavier rider will indeed have the need for more expensive wristguards since the impact will be stronger.

Edited by Chaindrop
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chaindrop said:

BTW, there's a few more options here if you're in Canada. The store is Toronto based.

I know I've suggested the cheaper wrist guards a few comments up, but I'm only around 130lbs. and felt that they were sufficient for me on my falls. I imagine a heavier rider will indeed have the need for more expensive wristguards since the impact will be stronger.

I'll play devil's advocate as usual here. I'm a mere 125lbs or so and have been for decades. Near all my wrist injuries were while not moving and my meager weight was more than enough to break bones. I like to think that heavier people fall down and go boom harder, but in reality, even a toddler weighs enough to break their own bones. Skinny people have less meat to protect the bones, or maybe even less dense bone structure. On a moving mass (euc), our weight can be multiplied on impact. Im glad you have guards that work for you, but I dont think we can imply that a lighter person needs lighter gear. I do think that your guards work better than mine in most instances, as no matter how 'great' my gear is, it doesnt help when it sits on the shelf. I got lucky and the FM's were most comfy for me. Comfort trumps price and safety a lot around here. If it didnt , I'd gear up more often.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I'll be the outlier and recommend my setup, especially because you're in Canada. I wear welding gloves like these with these wrist guards over them. I have the Fingerless Hillbillies and I'm still reaching for my welding gloves in the summer time because they're that much more comfortable. I've fallen at a little less than 20mph a couple of times and they totally saved my hands. In the winter time I wear a pair of cotton gloves under the welding gloves. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up sticking with the Triple 8 Wrist Saver 2. It is double sided - a significant upgrade from the single sided ones eWheels sent with my first wheel. Recommended, they are probably the best bang for your buck.

Eventually I will get the Flexmeters though :)

Edited by Tryptych

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2020 at 5:02 AM, Tryptych said:

I ended up sticking with the Triple 8 Wrist Saver 2. It is double sided - a significant upgrade from the single sided ones eWheels sent with my first wheel. Recommended, they are probably the best bang for your buck.

Eventually I will get the Flexmeters though :)

Got the Flexmeters tonight..... and I am really disappointed!

They are comfortable and seem to be high quality... But: they go much further up your arm then any other wrist guard, which unfortunately means they do not pair very well with my new Armored Hoodie. They are too tight to go over the Armored Hoodie's sleeve, and the hoodie is too tight to have the Flexmeter's under the sleeve.  Quite the dilemma. 

It might be better if I had a large instead of a medium, but I doubt it - they look kind of silly (huge) when they are worn over the sleeve. I'll give them another try tomorrow but so far it looks like I will be returning them and sticking with my double sided Triple 8s (which I recently had a really bad crash while wearing, this has increased my confidence in them and that they are sufficient for the job).

• Like 2