"Veteran" New brand of high performance EUC's

ugoaps

Must admit I don't like the name "Sherman". Apart from it making it impossible to find on google (for some reason I just get tanks showing when I look up "veteran sherman"). Do you really want a fun item like a unicycle associated with a military weapon? I like the names that people have come up with for the new Gotway monster (godzilla etc) and I think they'd be better used here. It would also be nice to know the weights and prices for the smaller battery variants.

• Like 2

@EcoDrift has a nice overview article about the Sherman. Some history of how the company has been founded, some nice pics, including a picture showing the battery packs (looking as you expect):

Russian original: https://ecodrift.ru/2020/06/02/novyj-zavod-monokoles-veteran-i-ego-pervaya-model-sherman/

Translator: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=ru&to=en&dl=de&ref=trb&a=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2020%2F06%2F02%2Fnovyj-zavod-monokoles-veteran-i-ego-pervaya-model-sherman%2F

All pictures courtesy of EcoDrift

Monokoleso-Veteran-Sherman-7.jpg

Monokoleso-Veteran-Sherman-3.jpg

Monokoleso-Veteran-Sherman-8.jpg

More in the article.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@EcoDrift has a nice overview article about the Sherman. Some history of how the company has been founded, some nice pics, including a picture showing the battery packs (looking as you expect):

Russian original: https://ecodrift.ru/2020/06/02/novyj-zavod-monokoles-veteran-i-ego-pervaya-model-sherman/

Translator: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=ru&to=en&dl=de&ref=trb&a=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2020%2F06%2F02%2Fnovyj-zavod-monokoles-veteran-i-ego-pervaya-model-sherman%2F

Monokoleso-Veteran-Sherman-3.jpg

Monokoleso-Veteran-Sherman-8.jpg

More in the article.

The more I read about this wheel, the more I want it.  Plus, I realized those guard rails can be used for a lot of creative accessory placement (additional lights, blinkers, a phone holder, speaker mount, etc).  100kmh freespin SHOULD equate to 50 mph before cutout, but say for arguments sake, 45 mph "safe" top speed, and the 18x3 tire should mean we have a ton of options should their factory default choice isn't to our liking.  There's always the worry of having some obvious manufacturing defect on a first-run device from a new company, but I'm willing to take the plunge.  

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

The more I read about this wheel, the more I want it.  Plus, I realized those guard rails can be used for a lot of creative accessory placement (additional lights, blinkers, a phone holder, speaker mount, etc).  100kmh freespin SHOULD equate to 50 mph before cutout, but say for arguments sake, 45 mph "safe" top speed, and the 18x3 tire should mean we have a ton of options should their factory default choice isn't to our liking.  

Can't lie, I had zero interest in Senior Sherman, but after reading the ecodrift article, my interest has been perked.

You could perhaps devise something to attach to the base guard rail to protect the headlight and taillight impact points ecodrift pointed out.

And the more I look at that tire, I think it'll probably be fine on city straights, a little gapp-ier than the stock Monster CST, but fine. The more interesting thing is that ecodrift alludes to the fact that this might be the standard 14" rim we find on all 18" EUC's I believe, but the sidewall has been increased to bring the overall outer diameter to 20", which means the sidewall height will be taller than most EUC tires we've seen at ~3" or more, which is great for more cushion on impact (read: rim dentage), and gives one more tire model swap/mod options, what with the shell clearance.

Really wanna know now what that axle-securing mechanism is, since I don't see a clear hex nut there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Can't lie, I had zero interest in Senior Sherman, but after reading the ecodrift article, my interest has been perked.

You could perhaps devise something to attach to the base guard rail to protect the headlight and taillight impact points ecodrift pointed out.

And the more I look at that tire, I think it'll probably be fine on city straights, a little gapp-ier than the stock Monster CST, but fine. The more interesting thing is that ecodrift alludes to the fact that this might be the standard 14" rim we find on all 18" EUC's I believe, but the sidewall has been increased to bring the overall outer diameter to 20", which means the sidewall height will be taller than most EUC tires we've seen at ~3" or more, which is great for more cushion on impact (read: rim dentage), and gives one more tire model swap/mod options, what with the shell clearance.

Really wanna know now what that axle-securing mechanism is, since I don't see a clear hex nut there.

I heard from eWheels you'll be able to get a CYT H666 as an option if the knobby doesn't suit you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I heard from eWheels you'll be able to get a CYT H666 as an option if the knobby doesn't suit you.

Bleh, that CYT center tread doesn't have enough grip lines down the center.

I would probably try to source a Kenda 18x3, or just stick to this tire.

16 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Isn't the new Monster Pro supposed to also have a totally new axle-pedal mounting mechanism? Maybe they're the same.

I can't wait to start riding this wheel :w00t2:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

More in the article.

I got a kick out of that second video. I believe the guy standing on the side was a spotter, there to grab the wheel if it failed the climb. I wish I had a spotter on some of my tests :)

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Isn't the new Monster Pro supposed to also have a totally new axle-pedal mounting mechanism? Maybe they're the same.

First I’m hearing that, I really really hope so! Something like 3 or more multiple axle securing, like a proper vehicle

It does make sense that perhaps the Veteran engineers splintered mid-20” new wheel design and other upgrading, and then took some of those same ideas with them to implement on General Sherman :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

First I’m hearing that, I really really hope so! Something like 3 or more multiple axle securing, like a proper vehicle

It does make sense that perhaps the Veteran engineers splintered mid-20” new wheel design and other upgrading, and then took some of those same ideas with them to implement on General Sherman :lol:

I heard/read the axle tidbit via Telegram. Let me see if I can find it ...

Here you go - some back-and-forth communication with Gotway regarding the weak shells (where they connect to the pillars). This communication happened about a week before the Monster Pro was announced (which was hinted at with the last statement).

5316ee91-baf0-4bf3-8d14-59919622a14b

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I heard/read the axle tidbit via Telegram. Let me see if I can find it ...

Here you go - some back-and-forth communication with Gotway regarding the weak shells (where they connect to the pillars). This communication happened about a week before the Monster Pro was announced (which was hinted at with the last statement).

5316ee91-baf0-4bf3-8d14-59919622a14b

Always something lost in translation, they always speak very vaguely ugh.

Really hope this means structurally a brand new mold design and not trying to just “reinforce” band-aid the old root design problem in the long, thin, and unsupported screw hold columns by only employing fake carbon fiber and metal screw anchor insets. Something along the lines of the Nikola, which has been structurally bulletproof IMHO. Seems by the Veteran article that the engineers have been very aware of this issue persisting despite past “upgrades”.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Welp.  I went ahead and ordered the Veteran Sherman blind.  $2749 USD with air shipping, estimated arrival early-mid July.

FREAKING AWESOME! You have to tell us your first impressions, then ride the hell out of it and tell us again! Im silently waiting for a great long range wheel solution. This one looks like you could ride to the construction site and hide it among the tool boxes.

• Like 3

Maybe I missed it, and if so, please send me the link where I can find it ... but aside from the "roll bars" on the Sherman that are metal, my understanding is that the cover over the batteries is plastic that is just stamped to look like metal.  Is the entire battery housing plastic, to include the area where the shell connects to the pedal hangers?  I was really hoping for an entire shell and cover that was metal in order to eliminate all the stress cracks around the pedal hangers.  Also, in the event of a crash and subsequent tumble, the cover cracks and the batteries go flying a lot of the time with the plastic covers.  So, if you're going to build a "Sherman" tank ... shouldn't the whole thing be metal?  Or is it, and I just missed it?

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Maybe I missed it, and if so, please send me the link where I can find it ... but aside from the "roll bars" on the Sherman that are metal, my understanding is that the cover over the batteries is plastic that is just stamped to look like metal.  Is the entire battery housing plastic, to include the area where the shell connects to the pedal hangers?  I was really hoping for an entire shell and cover that was metal in order to eliminate all the stress cracks around the pedal hangers.  Also, in the event of a crash and subsequent tumble, the cover cracks and the batteries go flying a lot of the time with the plastic covers.  So, if you're going to build a "Sherman" tank ... shouldn't the whole thing be metal?  Or is it, and I just missed it?

Thanks!

Its got a lot of plastic. Im assuming to cut costs and weight. I could only imagine how heavy it would be, if they made it to actual commercial specs and do as you had hoped. Hopefully that headlight is tucked back enough. As the wheels weigh more, so does the impact forces on them in a tumble. Like a fat kid at a playground, they seem to hit pretty hard. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Thanks!

I owned 5 wheels in total, and I've yet to encounter any stress fracture by the pedal hangers (4x Gotway, 1x Kingsong)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Its got a lot of plastic. Im assuming to cut costs and weight. I could only imagine how heavy it would be, if they made it to actual commercial specs and do as you had hoped.

I can see from the image above that the cover is ABS+PC and it says, "shell" so unfortunately I'm assuming the whole shell where it connects to the pedal hangers is also plastic.  In my Gotway MSuper V3s+ I've had to replace the entire shell because of stress cracks from off road riding and the weight of 1600 Whr worth of batteries.  Now, double the weight and put it in the same ABS plastic shell and there is NO WAY that shell is going to have any structural integrity around the pedal hangers unless they are reinforcing it with wire mesh or some other metal plate to distribute the weight and stress at that location.  :-(

Just now, Ben Kim said:

I owned 5 wheels in total, and I've yet to encounter any stress fracture by the pedal hangers (4x Gotway, 1x Kingsong)

I had to replace the shell on my MSuper V3s+ and my 1st generation Tesla for stress cracks right along the pedal hanger that was causing the shell casing to rub against the wheel.  I tried to repair it using a plastic welder to reinforce the pedal hanger areas with wire mesh to reinforce the plastic and help distribute the stress forces.  But, that didn't do much to hold it in the long run and I had to replace the entire shell anyway.

O3jXh_DRiddc6GQhtE8NsTrkJbULDTSXC4iLbizFz7DRlfYoVolbCTBx2sqDX63p1LnQGRb37tdDXqkeNq1vK77A_2RzZumSvtAcbbA_qk0B2y3snqHFGqVGcDBXk1RoAZKJ-fkpwwJqxoxAbGJ0PQg-sb59LJdDxPs4grMPzTatvzUyCLmBv-LasWfGpAS7ZX-D0WcthT8yoFM7pPGyZOxeXVS3XRD2MS32TTwZ1ug5TPrkXZjNvxImW4cq-4Wkaw3KUBFfejYi9-zVwUxIARldk1QoEqxE0NYypbD1K2HI-DlKNl609syiRV3Ehzm20mld5if9WOJlTYk2yrKjKIl-rSUTolAc6CjKTnMVAXpdMtf1AyV3SaWQmQ_fA3vSMDBY2QRX-VyBCy_eJ9yGWZObCohC3vPh_efw-1qJIem3Jv90BsYBSteNpvNFKfnHIhNLxmQP5x_94iMdebINmeg8lHLXmjDwdYbryvVef5T0ausRjMdAwO8O8srRelXfvaeXmCcOKnjroDiOvFDy1J-eyotSst-KEfGvDN9VhYdu9NOaEpZVsutAOY4TBJz51mVL7IcIjzzGSqOag0BXtHynUEVQ75L_kJoycchG9i3LjmKBNAkEavl2HrNVtRIfg8bzAcW-vTrfGOvYlgq8y7xBfKyoX4uQuJjzSJp1f5OWMyNOlIbsNPrgaZYSOg=w1648-h1236-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

@Charles McLean Now that was an EXCELLENT repair attempt. Alas, you can only do so much. The real fix would be a redesign it seems. We KNOW GW isnt so hot about that, hopefully the Veteran designers chose to address this stuff, rather than ignore it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

Really? Stress cracks really are common with Gotway. Of course you often don't see it unless you take your wheel apart. Two of my wheels are cracking, that I know of.

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

Welp.  I went ahead and ordered the Veteran Sherman blind.  $2749 USD with air shipping, estimated arrival early-mid July.

Wow. That's a leap of faith, but someone had to do it.

:cheers:

• Like 2

I didn’t yet read the EcoDrift article, but seems we can now call an 18” tire a 20” one? Way to confuse everyone. To be consistent, all wheels should be referred to either with the actual outer tire diameter (iirc: 18XL=18.5”, Z10=17.5”, MSX=19.5”, or something like that), or the size classification that’s stamped on the tire. The CST C-186 on the Veteran is a motorcycle tire, so it reads 2.75-14, but if the rim fits an 18” e-bike tire, it’s an 18” wheel in my books. That’s also how other manufacturers see it. Except for the 16X of course... :facepalm:

I have the same C-186 as a winter tire on my MSX. The grip and authority of that tire is sublime even in mud and snow, and further enables much more carefree riding mentality than the 18x3” CY H-666. Which already is a big upgrade on the original CY H-5102 tire on the MSX. (I wrote a review on the C-186.) The larger outer diameter requires more effort to change speed, but it’s manageable at least for a bit larger guy like me.

The big issue with the C-186 however is carving, or turning in general. As the tire is all knobs and no center ridge, it tilts much more when turning. It also doesn’t recover automatically from the tilt, and one has to force it back upright. I would imagine that this issue will be even greater on a 35kg Godzilla of a wheel.

A bold move to go with that tire. But I think it does make the default configuration even slightly more nichè.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I didn’t yet read the EcoDrift article, but seems we can now call an 18” tire a 20” one? Way to confuse everyone. To be consistent, all wheels should be referred to either with the actual outer tire diameter (iirc: 18XL=18.5”, Z10=17.5”, MSX=19.5”, or something like that), or the size classification that’s stamped on the tire. The CST C-186 on the Veteran is a motorcycle tire, so it reads 2.75-14, but if the rim fits an 18” e-bike tire, it’s an 18” wheel in my books. That’s also how other manufacturers see it. Except for the 16X of course... :facepalm:

I have the same C-186 as a winter tire on my MSX. The grip and authority of that tire is sublime even in mud and snow, and further enables much more carefree riding mentality than the 18x3” CY H-666. Which already is a big upgrade on the original CY H-5102 tire on the MSX. (I wrote a review on the C-186.) The larger outer diameter requires more effort to change speed, but it’s manageable at least for a bit larger guy like me.

The big issue with the C-186 however is carving, or turning in general. As the tire is all knobs and no center ridge, it tilts much more when turning. It also doesn’t recover automatically from the tilt, and one has to force it back upright. I would imagine that this issue will be even greater on a 35kg Godzilla of a wheel.

A bold move to go with that tire. But I think it does make the default configuration even slightly more nichè.

From what eWheels says, we will have the option to go CYT H666 or keep the C186.  I'll probably end up getting the C186 by default since I ordered from China, but an H666 isn't too hard to source.  I'll swap it if I find the stock tire unsuitable for urban riding (Virtually zero chance of me riding off-road).