Jump to content
John Eucist

How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KeithM said:

Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for the replies on my shopping cart question. I have a shopping cart in my shop and an area to use it. If the idea works well, I'll probably head for the supermarket and "borrow" one of their carts to ride around their huge parking lot. Given Marty Backe's advise I'll forgo the strap and not try the trash can. The rubber tipped canes idea from Rehab1 sounds interesting. Seems like once the weight of them might help with balance issues.

Waiting for my Glide 3 to arrive so I can join the group.

Maybe try a baby stroller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yunicycle said:

Maybe try a baby stroller?

Maybe leave the baby at home! Just sayin' ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StevenF said:

Hey everyone, I read this thread and watched some video's about how to learn to ride an electric unicycle before I tried riding mine. I ended up taking it outside and just tried it. I managed to do it quite fast but the first day I had to stop after 15minutes because I really hurt the inside of my ankle, I kept slamming my ankle into the pedal when I tried to hop on :-)

So the second day I wore some hiking boots and after 3 minutes I was riding up and down the street. I guess my experience is that good boots are more important than a helmet when learning to ride! I never saw or read about this so decided to share.

Always protect your bonce .sore ankles wont kill you but a sore head might.get both helmet first

Edited by stephen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StevenF said:

Hey everyone, I read this thread and watched some video's about how to learn to ride an electric unicycle before I tried riding mine. I ended up taking it outside and just tried it. I managed to do it quite fast but the first day I had to stop after 15minutes because I really hurt the inside of my ankle, I kept slamming my ankle into the pedal when I tried to hop on :-)

So the second day I wore some hiking boots and after 3 minutes I was riding up and down the street. I guess my experience is that good boots are more important than a helmet when learning to ride! I never saw or read about this so decided to share.

Well a sore ankle will heal. Yes most experience this duting learning.

Next up is wrists, it might seem unnecessary at first, but it is humanly natural response to embrace a fall with hands.

Head injuries, MIGHT be a different story.

One do not rule out the other. If you choose this mission, and keep on reading the forum, you find many that ignored protection and learn their lesson.

I can only suggest you take that onboard. And yes I had my accidents too. I eas geared up, at the time, but I found a few holes in my almost shining armor. The body, all of it is a fragile thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not planning to ride it at speed without a helmet, it is just that when you start learning it you don't race it but are happy to stay upright at a low speed. The boots just ensured that I could try it for a longer period of time without hurting myself. Tonight I'll go for a longer "ride" and I'll wear everything I wear when I go inline skating, that should do it. 

Now just figuring out how to get rid of the "please decelerate" voice (KS 14S) and I'm good to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StevenF said:

Now just figuring out how to get rid of the "please decelerate" voice (KS 14S) and I'm good to go.

Turn off voice commands in the app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Turn off voice commands in the app

Thanks, I also had the feeling it auto-decelerated? Probably something I can change in the app too :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StevenF said:

Thanks, I also had the feeling it auto-decelerated? Probably something I can change in the app too :-)

I'm not sure I'd ride a wheel that "auto-decelerated (not again anyway :facepalm:) Is that the newest euphemism for a face plant.

"so I was out riding today and the wheel auto-decelerated me right onto my face" :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, StevenF said:

Thanks, I also had the feeling it auto-decelerated? Probably something I can change in the app too :-)

I guess you mean the Tiltback Lifting your feets?

You can set the Speed Alarms in the app….but third Alarm and tiltback can NOT be turned off. (When Voice = OFF then Alarm 1, 2 and 3 are Beeps...Alarm 1 and 2 you can turn the beeps off! When voice = ON, then the 3rd Alarm is "Please decelerate"...Alarm 1 and 2 are Always off, as they have no voice file )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, US69 said:

I guess you mean the Tiltback Lifting your feets?

You can set the Speed Alarms in the app….but third Alarm and tiltback can NOT be turned off. (When Voice = OFF then Alarm 1, 2 and 3 are Beeps...Alarm 1 and 2 you can turn the beeps off! When voice = ON, then the 3rd Alarm is "Please decelerate"...Alarm 1 and 2 are Always off, as they have no voice file )

Ok, but I think I set the machin in "learning" mode, maybe in a different mode the 3rd alarm will only kick in at a higher speed? I wasn't going fast at all, maybe 10mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, StevenF said:

Ok, but I think I set the machin in "learning" mode, maybe in a different mode the 3rd alarm will only kick in at a higher speed? I wasn't going fast at all, maybe 10mph.

Whatever the mode is…..the Alarms only have one Setting. So it is the same over all ride modes. But who knows how your Alarms are set up?

Standard Settings on a new Wheel are 18 or 19kmh (11-12mph) for 3rd Alarm....so it is possible...

So i would advise to check and eventually Change thes Speed Settings to your likings. For example 0,0, 27, 30 (KmH)

When changing: The app must confirm the changes without saying "error"...and the Wheel has actually to make a "Beep" when the Speed Settings are changed.

When the Wheel does not Beep...the Speed Settings have not been changed!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevenF said:

Ok, but I think I set the machin in "learning" mode, maybe in a different mode the 3rd alarm will only kick in at a higher speed? I wasn't going fast at all, maybe 10mph.

Is it possible this wheel is new and therefor has a locked top speed until the appropriate kms are ridden, or unlocked with a special code?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wheel was indeed locked. It is a KS 14S and it took me a long time to get it sorted  (how bad is the app? :blink1:). But now I can do 30 instead of the 20 which is just too slow. And now I want a faster one, after one week of riding. But in general a top speed of 30 is good enough, for some stretches it would be nice to go faster. 

Still learning how to tackle hopping on sidewalks, practice makes perfect I guess :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StevenF said:

The wheel was indeed locked. It is a KS 14S and it took me a long time to get it sorted  (how bad is the app? :blink1:). But now I can do 30 instead of the 20 which is just too slow. And now I want a faster one, after one week of riding. But in general a top speed of 30 is good enough, for some stretches it would be nice to go faster. 

I am quite concerned about your health, as staying on an EUC in difficult riding situations is a skill you are not likely to have after a week or even a month or two. Going down at 30km/h is not a gimmick at all and can lead to severe injuries much more likely than at 20km/h. Apart from being illegal, I can only strongly recommend not going that fast before to have ridden a few thousand of kilometers. Of course I can't make life choices for others.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're ready to go a certain speed when you feel comfortable doing so. So if 30 doesn't feel too fast, it isn't :) Just don't overdo it. Your first "real" fall should be at a lower speed ideally, so you get grounded by reality without serious consequences.

You do need protection, though. Abrasion and more powerful impacts get really bad with rising speed. Your hands and face are very delicate body parts that are easy to fuck up for forever. Good sliding wrist guards, knee pads, a helmet should be a minimum at higher speeds.

And be aware, 30 is too slow for "good enough for me" for most people. 35 at least for a 16+ inch wheel (probably more like 40 on an 18 incher, but they do that anyways.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, KeithM said:

Thanks very much for the replies on my shopping cart question.

We use a walker modified to have four wheels for getting people started, as seen here:

It works very well but we have to tell people to slow down, they quite often want to go faster and faster before they have learned to do anything at all on the wheel. The only drawback is, well, it's a walker, and associated with old and decrepit. For this reason we will paint some racing stripes on it (or do some other aesthetic mods) for sessions this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×