How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

John Eucist

21 hours ago, Julian Lo said:

It is about how to control the center of gravity, said Hsiang in one of his videos.

Question:  To push or not to push (to start the free mount)?

WrongWay did a push 

Push or not? BOTH! It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to mount and then go off in any other direction than forwards(immediately), you wont want to push off. If you want to mount and ride backwards, you don't want to push off. The 'hop' mount and 'push' mount style are both viable and have their own reasons for use. Kinda like how 'wrong tool' thinks a crescent adjustable wrench is... :lol:

Fwiw, you dont need pad extensions on an mten. Overbending the leg and twisting the knee to mount is not a big deal, and you don't really use the pads much once moving. At least I tend to keep the little bastard very loose.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 2/15/2022 at 11:16 AM, rcgldr said:

Although JCF didn't push, he leans forwards just before he lifts his foot off the ground, so he has some forwards momentum going when he steps on.

Whether he had a forward momentum before stepping on is still unclear to me from his video.  I posted a question for him to clarify.  Regardless,  I find what you described is the most stable and balanced free mount method.  I lean my upper body forward (not push with the ground foot like in a skateboard) nice and slow, and step on almost simultaneously.    I can get 10 out of 10 successful free mounts this way.

• Like 1