How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

John Eucist

3 minutes ago, Mono said:

Optimal in what sense and what exactly is the optimal weight distribution then?

If you want to learn about optimal (race level) technique please check this book. But we are getting slightly off-topic

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Skiing-Master-Techniques-Great/dp/0736079599

However, I can say that a lot of skills from ski carving should be applicable inn EUC.

5 minutes ago, LucasD said:

If you want to learn about optimal (race level) technique please check this book.

Thanks, for the time being I don't want to learn race level ski technique. I just wanted to know what you meant by optimal and what the optimal weight distribution is :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucasD said:

However, I can say that a lot of skills from ski carving should be applicable inn EUC.

With all respect, they are not. Eucs are more akin to motorcycling than skiing hence my previous post. Unless MotoGP riders have been doing it wrong for all these years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

With all respect, they are not. Eucs are more akin to motorcycling than skiing hence my previous post. Unless MotoGP riders have been doing it wrong for all these years.

I don't ride motorcycle, but bike has similar control to it including counterstering. Scooters  are more close to motorbikes though ;)

And I can tell that EUC is very close to skiing and as one blog point out to mono-ski (which I don't use). It includes feet movement front/ back (body stays, etc travels), carving, leg-bent position, jumping etc...

Check out here https://eucriding.blogspot.com

Edited by LucasD

The reason why a skier uses their outside leg in turns is because its far easier to manage the mass below the CoG than above it. Loading up the inside leg instead would require some rather interesting contortions to achieve the same effect. Of course, those unfortunates with one leg can still make things work out of necessity.

If you placed all your weight on the outside leg on an EUC you would soon fall off as the CoG would be the wrong side of the tyre.

This is why skiers and eucers load different legs, and why I disagreed with you on your comment that ski technique can be applied to eucs.

Ideally, an EUC at speed will corner with the same weight on both legs. This happens when the rider is leaning at the same angle as the wheel (like a bicycle). This approach doesnt work though for example on the ninebot Z as the physics of the wheel/tyre want to keep it upright which is why we have to load up the inside footplate by shifting our weight to the inside and hang off (or more accurately, hang to one side).

The ski technique applies properly to EUC, one just need to adjust to the different shift of weight (mirrored). Simply unweighting feet one can get very fast wheel response, but compared to ski you lean in other direction, rest of the leg/hip moves are the same just a MIRROR copy. 

In general there are two type of turns body carving (straight body) and race (hip flexion). Straight body is slower as you shift whole body, but allows a higher pedal angle compared to faster/ sharper turns race technique. 

For one legged skiing you can see this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatVt6F8whQ You see that by losing ski he is slower, yet still much faster and a better technique than most skiers. 

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

If you placed all your weight on the outside leg on an EUC you would soon fall off as the CoG would be the wrong side of the tyre.

You are aware that some people can ride one-legged, right?

It is also worth noting that, funnily enough, the weight distribution over the feet does not change the CoG of anything. It's similar to having a one shaft fork on a bike https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15904326/ (here with the other shaft/leg still around but with no connection to the axle/pedle) which doesn't make any difference for the technique of riding a bike.

The only thing that really changes by changing the weight distribution between the feet is that now a tilting force is applied to the wheel. If the leg is tight with the wheel and the foot doesn't slip, everything stays where it is. To prevent the tilting force of the wheel being applied against the leg one could be tempted to tilt the wheel in the opposition direction, up to the point where it is again in left-right tilt balance.

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

Ideally, an EUC at speed will corner with the same weight on both legs.

What is your definition of "ideal"? I don't see any definition of "ideal" where a uniform distribution would always lead to the ideal scenario, unless ones defines ideal as synonymous with uniform.

Edited by Mono

2 hours ago, LucasD said:

In MSX thread a nice video that confirms my carving EUC conjectures ;)

Thank you. I made it today with this topic in mind. As well as the other topic regarding pedal dip.

As you can see I can hold the wheel straight even though one of my heels is up. That is just me counter balancing. I can ride with one leg as well. Same story.
I can do the same on my Ninebot One E+. I do this now and then to stretch my feet. :)

What I can't do is put weight on my outside leg and turn on the inside.

I ride at 20PSI and weigh 63kg. The tire is squishy enough to be super comfortable over bumps and turning at high speed requires me to lean a bit more to the side because of the wider contact patch. Carving at 30km/h is more of a full body exercise with bent legs as the wheel just wants to go straight. :clap3: And I am totally fine with that. I didn't buy an MSX with a 3" tire to pump it to hell and beyond and ride a 2mm contact patch lmao.

2700km on the MSX, 1000 on my Ninebot One E+. 1000 on my Onewheel and 1000 on my Ownboard and 1000 on my Koowheel.
That's like... a million miles. I still have much to learn though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mono said:

You are aware that some people can ride one-legged, right?

What is your definition of "ideal"?

Yes I am aware that some people can ride one legged. Not easy is it?

My definition of 'ideal' would be the most neutral, comfortable, balanced and strongest (for the rider) position to be in. for EUC's, this is with both footplates loaded with the same weight.

5 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Which kind of proves my point.

If Mike - an experienced and talented rider - finds it difficult then clearly, loading up the outside plate isn't the most 'ideal'. Of course it can be done (your one legged rider for example) but the only way to manage it is to have a massive side loading on the calf from the EUC otherwise it will simply tip over.

I will bow out of this one now, it seems to be getting a little angsty for my liking.

• Like 1

I'm glad you like it 😊with more confidence and the more you ride you will just love getting out and about,take in some scenery and euc adventures 😊

not a bad bunch of people in this forum , always here to help, positive or negative comments but always here to help others , we've all started somewhere and its nice to get advice from somewhere when needed , glad you like the forum keep in touch with your progress 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

Which kind of proves my point.

It proves your point only if a technique which is difficult to acquire cannot possibly be the "right" technique. Hard to believe that this is so.

Edited by Mono

4 hours ago, Eliran said:

Guys, just passing by here to thank you all for the great advices you gave me on those wonderfull lines. Yesterday I´ve just clicked up my head onto the EUC riding. For a 48 year old guy that never do skating, slack line, etc. I took me a month to click but the bruises , falls and pain worthed!

I´m a complete addicted to this machine and you all make it so straighforward! 

My deepest honest thanks for U all! Ahhh, by the way, sorry for the poor english ;-)

Salutes from Curitiba - Brazil

Salutes! Glad you found some information of value. Happy riding!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

To clarify. I can ride on my right leg and turn left or right. I can ride on my left leg the same. But I am using leverage, balancing, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of  different turning techniques as there are many ways to do a push up. What is ideal is the common understanding amongst people who are good at push ups of what is best. My best sentence ever. 

Elbows to shoulders angle at 45 degrees. Fingers pointing forward. Then we have exceptions, specific variations for specific goals and outliers. 🤓 And to make matters worse we have different opinions, place too much burden on the person making the statement, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 5:38 AM, LucasD said:

I don't ride motorcycle, but bike has similar control to it including counterstering. Scooters  are more close to motorbikes though ;)

And I can tell that EUC is very close to skiing and as one blog point out to mono-ski (which I don't use). It includes feet movement front/ back (body stays, etc travels), carving, leg-bent position, jumping etc...

Check out here https://eucriding.blogspot.com

That's a pretty intense chart! I'm learning to turn and accidentally turned properly this past weekend without lessons, but I will definitely look at that more. Good stuff. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2015 at 10:23 PM, ThatCharlieDude said:

Boy, it's a workout riding a euc. I didn't realize how much of an active sport it would be lol. My legs felt like jelly after practicing today for about 30 minutes. I hope to build up my endurance for long rides. 

I just debated with some colleagues about this. Of course they have never ridden an EUC but are experts :efefb6a84e:, telling me a bike requires exercise, not an EUC.

Each time I ride my EUC I have to take Body Wipes with me, shower and/or toss my clothes into the washer :efefc8626c:. I wear a FitBit and burn 500 calories on the EUC vs. about 100 calories on the elliptical. So I dare anyone to tell us that riding an EUC isn't exercise. Not that it needs to be anyway. It's transportation and fun. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The amount of exercise achieved when riding fully depends on the type of riding.

Absolutely! Last sunday a smaller group of us hard core riders extended the group ride by extremely challenging mountain bike trails through the woods. It was constant twisting through and between roots, rocks and cliffs, and re-mountings and picking up the wheel from the bushes due to failed attempts at near impossible short and steep inclines, for perhaps an hour and a half in total.

Despite being no hotter than room temperature outside, the outer layer of my summer riding jacket was dripping from sweat at many places, the lower half of the sleeves being one of the curious ones. My protections are in the jacket so I kept it on anyway.

Calories burned? Yes, all of them!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The amount of exercise achieved when riding fully depends on the type of riding. I can tell you can when I'm trail riding I'm exhausted at the end. It's like I'm in a continuous half squat for a couple of hours. 

truly.. i guarantee when im coming home from a friends at 2 AM and nearly falling asleep on a long straight on the road i am not burning any calories.. but i havent ever found any type of riding to be akin to exercise of any sort, perhaps i need to find some more exciting/dangerous trails O.o then again i used to walk an average of 20 km a day and some days up to 60 km at about 10 km/h for years before i started riding euc... now i get winded walking to the mailbox lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

truly.. i guarantee when im coming home from a friends at 2 AM and nearly falling asleep on a long straight on the road i am not burning any calories.. but i havent ever found any type of riding to be akin to exercise of any sort, perhaps i need to find some more exciting/dangerous trails O.o then again i used to walk an average of 20 km a day and some days up to 60 km at about 10 km/h for years before i started riding euc... now i get winded walking to the mailbox lol

You definitely need to up your game and find some more challenging riding spots :D You don't want to make the rest of us look bad :ph34r: 

Just now, Marty Backe said:

You definitely need to up your game and find some more challenging riding spots :D You don't want to make the rest of us look bad :ph34r: 

i know!! the trails here are all so tame, even the most "extreme" ones i can find are mostly pebble covered (the name eludes me for some reason) or paved.. perhaps i should garnish myself with a machete and make my own lol.. but 99% of my riding is on the wide open pavement so very lax.. think i would burn more calories lifting the wheel up the stairs to my apartment, but certainly the iced cappuccino or slurpee i have with me would negate those xD

• Like 2