2.0 firmware for KS-18L/XL is available

Seba

7 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Tried to update 3 times. Wheel just sat there, no fwd update LEDs.

I couldn't get this done by android, so I had to use an iPad at work. 

I had to use my old Samsung phone, then it worked on both my XL and 16S. Worth the hassle though, so much smoother on tarmac and no wobble in 90-degree medium speed turns on the XL. I’ve gotten used to ride at about 42 psi, but with the new stiffness that feels a bit hard, so I might go down to between 38 – 40 psi. A bit unsure if I like the stiff pedal off-road. So easy to be too hard in my movements and get a slide on slippery surfaces, but on the other side it is much easier to correct the slide, so I guess some rider adjustments is needed. Weird with an almost silent 16S and much more confident going uphill.

Edited by Espen R

I just noticed a couple of things since the update:

- Fan seems to be on pretty much all the time, straight from when I turn the wheel on (room temp. ~18º C)

- Strobe light (flashing front/rear lights) now causes an odd, flickering, pulsating noise

35 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Fan seems to be on pretty much all the time, straight from when I turn the wheel on (room temp. ~18º C)

@Seba Checking EUC World wheel health stats, CPU load is at 45% with wheel idle. Is that normal?

1 minute ago, travsformation said:

@Seba Checking EUC World wheel health stats, CPU load is at 45% with wheel idle. Is that normal?

Yes. This value has no meaning for us, I think that King Song added this "just because".

• Like 2

Just now, Seba said:

Yes. This value has no meaning for us, I think that King Song added this "just because".

Good to know, thanks!

So...same as the new double-headlight mode, then... :efee612b4b:

40 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Strobe light (flashing front/rear lights) now causes an odd, flickering, pulsating noise

Have you noticed this too? Not that I use the option...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, travsformation said:

- Strobe light (flashing front/rear lights) now causes an odd, flickering, pulsating noise

I remember when i was in my garage back a few FW updates ago, it was night, late, and my light was doing that flashing thing when it was leaned against the wall. The hum of the motor was quiet and i could hear the lights pulsating. Im wondering if its always made this noise, and it just wasnt very noticeable until we lost the kingsong whine? To be real, that whine drowned out a lot of sounds, haha. Im hearing all sorts of things now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seage said:

Im wondering if its always made this noise, and it just wasnt very noticeable until we lost the kingsong whine? To be real, that whine drowned out a lot of sounds, haha.

Good point! :efee612b4b:

5 minutes ago, seage said:

Im hearing all sorts of things now.

Birds singing? Small animals about to be run over? :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Birds singing? Small animals about to be run over? :efee612b4b:

My reflexes are like magic. I can forcefully hit a small animal at will now. Ive mastered the front flip, to face slide as well. You'd be impressed. 

• Like 3

I’ve gotten used to ride at about 42 psi, but with the new stiffness that feels a bit hard, so I might go down to between 38 – 40 psi.

The new medium mode might be closer to what you have used to.

A bit unsure if I like the stiff pedal off-road.

We rode up to a hill on deep, soaking and mushy dirt/gravel, and our 18XL fw 2.0 rider had trouble keeping up. I tried it as well, and it was indeed hard. It was on medium mode. We switched to hard mode and the wheel was a lot easier to push through.

2.5 years ago I used to switch to hard mode on the 16S every time I went off-roading, and used medium on road. It was that much more stable when going over obstacles.

I recommend you give it a proper chance, as the performance and stability are a good deal better on the hard mode.

I prefer soft on MSX, and hard on KS.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, nevimjakou said:

After upgrade of my KS18L to firmware version 2.0, I have the following problems with tilt back about 20 degrees. This happens when I turn, when I'm going downhill or when I'm braking. I have done a lot of calibration settings.

You might have to change something in your calibration routine, since that is what will happen if the calibration is not perfect.

The wheel has to be perfectly level left to right, as well as front to back. It also has to be perfectly still during the calibration.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

You might have to change something in your calibration routine, since that is what will happen if the calibration is not perfect.

The wheel has to be perfectly level left to right, as well as front to back. It also has to be perfectly still during the calibration.

Still have tears in my eyes due to this, but I'm able to cruise a lot faster on this firmware over garbage road conditions that felt like they were gonna throw me before. So I suppose it's not all bad. Also I'm stubborn. 0.8° forward tilt. Get that sexy tilt backwards on turns and downhills. Yum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The new medium mode might be closer to what you have used to.

We rode up to a hill on deep, soaking and mushy dirt/gravel, and our 18XL fw 2.0 rider had trouble keeping up. I tried it as well, and it was indeed hard. It was on medium mode. We switched to hard mode and the wheel was a lot easier to push through.

2.5 years ago I used to switch to hard mode on the 16S every time I went off-roading, and used medium on road. It was that much more stable when going over obstacles.

I recommend you give it a proper chance, as the performance and stability are a good deal better on the hard mode.

I prefer soft on MSX, and hard on KS.

Over roots and stones, I think fw 2.0 is definitively better. The reason I slid more in the mud has to do with me having to learn how to handle my movements a bit different, I have to be even softer and more balanced in slippery conditions than what I am used to, but as I wrote: correcting a slide has never been easier. The new stiffness and responsiveness is very different, and I already prefer the new fw on more dry surfaces, so I'll stick to it and learn, it's just when I have to react on instinct and the wheel is so different and my instinct reaction doesn't apply the same way, I become a bit wary. It's like if my girlfriend suddenly changed into someone else and got new abilities:)

• Like 3

@Espen R I really like you post above. It speaks of embracing new potential and adapting to make the most of it.

It also brings me back to when I tested the Z10 though I didn't buy it and my first few hundreds km on my KS16X. 

Now I stated I need to recalibrate my KS18L (1st batch) and ride it again. But weather at my place isn't playing along right now. And I do hope KS get the light things and other bugs people have shared get sorted out. 

I like to hear more about you getting on with this. I am very sure it can help me adapting too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seage said:

My reflexes are like magic. I can forcefully hit a small animal at will now. Ive mastered the front flip, to face slide as well. You'd be impressed. 

So you are changing you tag to roadkill(er) ? Ehh this didn't sound like that in my head or🙄🤔😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Espen R said:

Over roots and stones, I think fw 2.0 is definitively better. The reason I slid more in the mud has to do with me having to learn how to handle my movements a bit different, I have to be even softer and more balanced in slippery conditions than what I am used to, but as I wrote: correcting a slide has never been easier. The new stiffness and responsiveness is very different, and I already prefer the new fw on more dry surfaces, so I'll stick to it and learn, it's just when I have to react on instinct and the wheel is so different and my instinct reaction doesn't apply the same way, I become a bit wary. It's like if my girlfriend suddenly changed into someone else and got new abilities:)

The new responsiveness caught me a bit off guard too...all that extra torque requires a more gentle touch, especially in scenarios that require precision. A tad too much forward pressure on a tight turn or slippery surface and the wheel would initially tend to "take over the steering". But it's amazing how fast one can adapt: Put in a few decent rides and you're used to it in no time! :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Unventor said:

@Espen R I really like you post above. It speaks of embracing new potential and adapting to make the most of it.

It also brings me back to when I tested the Z10 though I didn't buy it and my first few hundreds km on my KS16X. 

Now I stated I need to recalibrate my KS18L (1st batch) and ride it again. But weather at my place isn't playing along right now. And I do hope KS get the light things and other bugs people have shared get sorted out. 

I like to hear more about you getting on with this. I am very sure it can help me adapting too. 

Adapting to new things always comes with some resistance for me. One part of me is excited for the new thing, but I also have a grumpy old man side that doesn't want changes, so then it becomes not just an external battle with the "new" wheel, it is also a batle in my head:)

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

The new responsiveness caught me a bit off guard too...all that extra torque requires a more gentle touch, especially in scenarios that require precision. A tad too much forward pressure on a tight turn or slippery surface and the wheel would initially tend to "take over the steering". But it's amazing how fast one can adapt: Put in a few decent rides and you're used to it in no time! :)

I've had four major slides in my latest rides. Two jump off's, one decent recovery and one beautiful correction where I had to stop and admire the skid marks, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do that kind of correction on the old fw. I'm not build for ballet, more like a "run through brick walls" type of body, so the new gentleness I have to adapt to doesn't come easy:) Changing instincts takes time for an old fart like me. Still, I have more likes than dislikes with the new fw.

I had similar issues with shoes. The new fw is more different than what a soft vs hard shoe sole gives you, but still somewhat similar in the way it changes your riding style. I haven’t been able to find one pair that are great for all surfaces. It was much easier when I had the Onewheel, hard flat soles for every surface. EUC's are so much more shoe sensitive. Before I started riding EUC's I had 5-6 pairs of shoes, not counting slippers or special purpose shoes. Now I probably have over 15 (haven't dared to count):) Some shoes are good for tarmac and off-road trails, others for gravel, some are for warm summer days, rainy days, cold winter days, hard riding days or long leisure cruises. I usually ride a mix of tarmac, gravel and trails on my rides, and the tarmac and trail part are somewhat shoe compatible, but the perfect gravel shoe is not a very good tarmac/trail shoe. And now my shoe preferences have changed with the new fw. Soft shoes feel sluggish in a new way and hard soles feels to aggressive. I’m too late with soft shoes and too early with the hard, but this will probably change once I get used to the new fw. Has any of you found one pair of shoes that are good on all surfaces?

• Like 1

If you get around Gothenburg at some point please feel free to reach out to me @Espen R I have spare wheel avaliable most of the time now.

It could be fun to sit and discuss wheels and I can properly pick up a few tricks too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

If you get around Gothenburg at some point please feel free to reach out to me @Espen R I have spare wheel avaliable most of the time now.

It could be fun to sit and discuss wheels and I can properly pick up a few tricks too. 

We'll probably take some trips down there with the campervan in the summer, so I'll reach out. Do you know any scenic rides or challenging trails we could take around where you live? An impressive stupidity combined with bravery and brute force is all the tricks I have, so if you possess any finesse, we could exchange tricks:) Would be great to do a proper wheel talk, my girlfriend have started to get an expression of pain in her face when I start to talk about a new wheel.

Edited by Espen R
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Espen R said:

my girlfriends have started to get an expression of pain in her face when I start to talk about a new wheel.

This made me burst out laughing. Its 7am and i woke the house. Thanks for that, LOL. 

• Like 3