If you had a 100v MSX, what would your next wheel be between the Nikola 100v, Monster V3 100v, or KS 16X?

photorph

I have an inmotion v8 and a gotway MSX.  I just sold my v8, but there is a problem...I have two EUC stands and one of them is empty currently.  Plus I have some extra cash from the v8 sale.  So...I'm looking to get a new wheel.  I know most of the pros/cons of the new V3 monster, new Nikola plus and the new 16X.

My question to you all is, if you had the MSX...and you could have two wheels only, which of those 3 wheels (v3 monster, nikola plus, or 16x) would you pick and why?

Edited by photorph
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, RoCan said:

I have the 84V MSX. Just sold a V8 and have also been looking for another wheel.

What do you use the MSX for? What would you use the new one for?

I would love the V3 Monster but I can’t ride on roads. I can’t see the point in getting the Nikola as so similar to the MSX with the 17” but won’t handle off road quite as well I imagine. That leaves the 16X I guess but personally I wouldn’t use it over the 19” MSX.

So I’m going small as to be different from the MSX and therefore get more use. MCM5/Mten3.

All depends what you use them for. If starting a collection for the love of wheels... it doesn’t matter as you’ll get them all at some point :thumbup: (but Monster would be my vote)

I use the MSX for everything, trails, group rides with electric skateboarders and onewheels, and just riding for fun.  It's a great all around wheel.  The one thing I don't like about the MSX is the trolley handle, if I have to walk with it for long distances it's not the greatest.  I'll be using the new wheel in a similar way too, perhaps the one thing I'll be using it for more is where the MSX lacks is in situations where I have to trolley it more.  Additionally since I have the 100v my msx isn't long range really, so I would use the other wheel for long range riding as well along with the trolley benefit.

Nikola vs MSX: it has more torque and responsiveness, it has a better trolley but not perfect, and it has other cool features like speakers.  It's also not that much different than the MSX, just has a smaller wheel.  It also has annoying sounds on start up that you can't get rid of.  It won't be as stable at higher speeds.

16X vs MSX: Unique, and has the best trolley handle.  Looks the coolest in my opinion.  However it has lowest performance, and a lot of speed restrictions like the 200 km to unlock the max speed.  

Monster v3 vs MSX: Faster than msx, more comfortable over bumps, and more stable at higher speeds. But it is sluggish in acceleration and braking, has a cheap shell, has no trolley handle, and has the same motor so really not much different than MSX again but just a bigger wheel.

That's what I have come up with.  But i'm undecided on what to get of those 3 still, I'm just wondering what most others would get out of those 3 if they had an MSX already.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RoCan said:

Your heart is with the 16X... get the 16X 😊 

My heart is unsure, I just said the 16x looks the coolest plus has the best trolley, the gotway nikola seems to be the best overall package though, while the monster is just unique.  

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Similar performance, but way better package overall IMHO, better ergonomics.

Smart. :lol:

#fakenews

I just went above 31mph on my new Nikola Plus, felt pretty damn stable to me.

The setup makes it that way I think: high pedal height, compensated by even higher wheel body height (which many are complaining it's too big/high, but high for a reason I think, now having ridden it), all on a very stable 3" wide base, the same base the MSX and 16X sits on.

IMHO, they're pretty equally stable at high speed, a very slight edge to the Monster simply due to the bigger diameter and body base.

If you don't know how to accelerate and brake with it, yes, you might say this.

I don't find it at all sluggish in acceleration nor braking, you just need to know how to press harder, one very good key being setting to a softer Gotway riding mode.

Completely disagree.

The MSX is tuned super hard across modes, while the Monster has real variety in soft, medium, hard modes, which is all the key in unlocking the Monster power. Also, if you're not into seated riding (the real way to feel the true Monster power), than make sure to try the Monster with Nikola style pedals, as the longer pedal base will give you better leverage to push harder, without having to learn the technique to truly push hard.

so...you'd get the monster?  or the Nikola Plus?

2 hours ago, photorph said:

16X vs MSX: Unique, and has the best trolley handle.  Looks the coolest in my opinion.  However it has lowest performance, and a lot of speed restrictions like the 200 km to unlock the max speed.  

• "However it has lowest performance,", really ? go take a ride and come back to state that again honestly.
  • "a lot of speed restrictions" so how fast is fast enough for you on a 16", give me am honest figure, 
  • "the 200 km to unlock the max speed.", a temporary think, with you need for speed you should be able to do this in 7-8 hours maybe less.

Now to answer the question, you are either looking for a back up unit or something that are totally different. That should be you point of research. Another thing  is what other people tell you to buy, but really matters is why  and why not something else. If you have other fellow riders I suggest to test their wheels if possible. That is the great part of meet-ups.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Unventor said:
  • "However it has lowest performance,", really ? go take a ride and come back to state that again honestly.
  • "a lot of speed restrictions" so how fast is fast enough for you on a 16", give me am honest figure, 
  • "the 200 km to unlock the max speed.", a temporary think, with you need for speed you should be able to do this in 7-8 hours maybe less.

Now to answer the question, you are either looking for a back up unit or something that are totally different. That should be you point of research. Another thing  is what other people tell you to buy, but really matters is why  and why not something else. If you have other fellow riders I suggest to test their wheels if possible. That is the great part of meet-ups.

• Lowest performance relative to gotway nikola plus and monster V3, since those are 100v with bigger 1845 wh batteries.  Of course the performance is enough, but I always try to get the biggest battery pack I can.  
  • I usually ride around 20-26 mph, but my max speed is 35 mph on an msx.  On the 16" wheels I want to be able to consistently hit low 30s w/o the fear of a cut out.  Thus a higher speed gives you more of a buffer.  I always stay far away from the max speed.  But if the 16X has a max of 30 mph, that means I'd avoid low 30s at all times.
  • Agreed on the speed lock, just a minor annoyance but temporary.  

Not a back up unit, just something a bit different than the MSX.  Mainly looking to make up the weaknesses of the MSX, which are the terrible trolley handle first and foremost and then the cheap-ish shell.  Slow speed drops and mine is scratched up badly already.  

1 hour ago, photorph said:

Lowest performance relative to gotway nikola plus and monster V3, since those are 100v with bigger 1845 wh batteries. 

Performance can be many things. Speed, range are normally what first comes to mind. 

Acceleration, breaking, maneuverability, turning, control, comfort... all thing that can fit into this category too. Not all are as easy to compare as numbers on paper. On paper some of these might look to be not as good, but there is always a balance what you get on what expense. 

But from what I gather speed is what you prefer. In that case I doubt you will find KS16X 1st on you list. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The mten3 vs MCM5 is my big debate. I’m gonna sell my MSX or Ks18s for a Monster. I need a small wheel now though but @houseofjob which do you prefer? My roads are smooth as glass here btw. 

The MCM5 is a practical wheel for doing things, etc. The Mten3 is much more of a fun wheel. I'm sure you've seen some of my Mten3 videos.

You really can't compare the wheels so I think the decision comes down to your use case.

If I could only have one wheel and those were my choices I'd keep the MCM5 without thinking twice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you already have an 18 incher, then like what everyone else here says, get the MCM5, because it is so different from your 18 incher.

Say you buy the MCM5, and now you're standing there trying to decide which one to take for x task. With these two wheels there will be no doubt whatsoever which wheel is better suited for x task.

In opinion and in fact, every car should have a 14 incher in it, for random unforeseen tasks.

Get the damned mcm5.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The MCM5 is a practical wheel for doing things, etc. The Mten3 is much more of a fun wheel. I'm sure you've seen some of my Mten3 videos.

You really can't compare the wheels so I think the decision comes down to your use case.

If I could only have one wheel and those were my choices I'd keep the MCM5 without thinking twice.

I can’t see myself doing much with a smaller wheel since I have the Z10 for all my errands. 

I’d use a small wheel for fun, hopping curbs, tricks etc. i also would love the idea of putting a wheel in a backpack while I take my long range ebike somewhere, lock it up and use the wheel to explore. I guess with that said the mten3 ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I can’t see myself doing much with a smaller wheel since I have the Z10 for all my errands. 

I’d use a small wheel for fun, hopping curbs, tricks etc. i also would love the idea of putting a wheel in a backpack while I take my long range ebike somewhere, lock it up and use the wheel to explore. I guess with that said the mten3 ?

With your use case explained, run, don't walk, and get yourself the Mten3 :thumbup:

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

BTW, if you're not considering the Nikola Plus as well, you should be, knowing that you love aggressive speed.

If the nikola plus can go 40mph I might consider it lol. 

On 7/30/2019 at 7:51 AM, photorph said:

I use the MSX for everything, trails, group rides with electric skateboarders and onewheels, and just riding for fun.  It's a great all around wheel.  The one thing I don't like about the MSX is the trolley handle, if I have to walk with it for long distances it's not the greatest.  I'll be using the new wheel in a similar way too, perhaps the one thing I'll be using it for more is where the MSX lacks is in situations where I have to trolley it more.  Additionally since I have the 100v my msx isn't long range really, so I would use the other wheel for long range riding as well along with the trolley benefit.

Nikola vs MSX: it has more torque and responsiveness, it has a better trolley but not perfect, and it has other cool features like speakers.  It's also not that much different than the MSX, just has a smaller wheel.  It also has annoying sounds on start up that you can't get rid of.  It won't be as stable at higher speeds.

Monster v3 vs MSX: Faster than msx, more comfortable over bumps, and more stable at higher speeds. But it is sluggish in acceleration and braking, has a cheap shell, has no trolley handle, and has the same motor so really not much different than MSX again but just a bigger wheel.

That's what I have come up with.  But i'm undecided on what to get of those 3 still, I'm just wondering what most others would get out of those 3 if they had an MSX already.  

I'm in the same position except a tiny bit worse. I sold my Onewheel+ XR (don't kill me :efee612b4b:). I originally bought it for my wife but it never clicked and now she prefers my little Ninebot One E+ as well as her electric longboard. I put 1000 miles on it though. So now I am left with my MSX 84v. The MSX doesn't give me the same feeling of floating as the Onewheel nor does it give me the feeling of sliding on ice like the Ninebot One E+. This is mostly because of the cogging and the size/shape of the wheel and tyre. So now I need a new wheel. Or maybe two.

So I need a slide ride. The V10f has a nice glide to it and so does the Tesla. I have tried the Nikola and it rides very similar to the MSX. The 18XL rides quite smoothly but is also a large wheel however more nimble and smooth than the MSX but also more sloppy and floppy.

I'm sure your need for speed is satisfied with the 100v MSX. And your need to float is satisfied with the XR. So do you get something in between (MCM5), something totally different (Z10) or a Monster 100v with the 2400Wh and unleash hell.

The MCM5 does seem to be quite an interesting wheel at the other side of the spectrum. But then we are stuck with the 800Wh. That is still quite a bit more than a Onewheel+ XR and most boards. You can also climb some ridiculous hills with it and it sounds like a smooth ride although I expect some cogging there as well considering the size of the magnets.

The Z10 is also a very interesting wheel in it's own category. You can also do stupid things like unlock the speed unlimiter which makes it more appealing.

The KS16X is still a wild card to me and reports say that it behaves similarly to the Nikola which in turn behaves similar to the MSX including the cogging.

A Monster could be interesting for ridiculously long cruises and stable high speed riding. Still I have only ran the battery out on my MSX once. 65km cruise and then meet up with some friends for a 23km cruise. Total 88km and I had 20% battery left. I could have just as easily changed vehicles in between.

• Like 2

I have a 100v msx and it would be a 100V Nikola Plus all day long.

lights, music, 100v, range, lift cutoff...  its got everything I would ever want and should accelerate faster (easier) than the MSX.  Smaller wheel = worse ride but the Nikola shell should be more comfortable.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2019 at 1:51 AM, photorph said:

Monster v3 vs MSX: Faster than msx, more comfortable over bumps, and more stable at higher speeds. But it is sluggish in acceleration and braking, has a cheap shell,

The V3 is supposed to have a better shell. They used to use wood screws (screws that go into wood/plastic) that would dig into the plastic to keep the two halves together. Now they are using metal screws (screws that go into metal) and there are brass fittings inside the plastic mounts. Thats not only stronger, but if you take the shell apart multiple times, it's not damaging the plastic each time. There is more reinforcement inside the shell to make it stiffer / stronger.

Edited by erk1024
  • Upvote 1