KS 16S or KS 18l for my first wheel? Help please

Hey guys, I'm completely new to Electric unicycles. I've never ridden one, but am itching to get on one. I don't make a lot of money currently to spend on things I want, so I've been saving for a while now to buy my first EUC. Ive finally just saved up enough. My thoughts are this - I understand most people buy a beginner wheel to learn on and beat up until they become proficient, and then upgrade to a better faster wheel. My thing is that I probably will only be able to afford one wheel for now, and won't be able to buy another one in the foreseeable future. If I want I have just enough for a Kingsong ks 18l, or I can go with the ks 16s. I think both are sweet. Will it be too hard to learn on an 18l? My use will be riding for fun, more in the country, longer rides and exploring. Not really any commuting and not much city riding for me. Thoughts please? Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

glad you provided more details on your planned usage.. 18L hands down if those are the two you have decided on.. I can't tell you from experience as I learned on a 16" but actually many people say an 18" is easier to learn on.. just be sure you pad it up very well, it will be dropped a lot in the learning phase.

• Upvote 1

Get the 18L or even better save a little more and get the XL straight away.

Iam talking from experience, i first bought the KS16C half a year later got the XL.

The Xl is easy to ride, on or off-road plenty of power, speed and range.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

@Rywokast thank you for your response! What's your opinion on the best way to pad it up?

i have seen many hilarious ways that people have padded their wheels, if you ask me, the best way is to make a cover from a yoga mat or similar material any dense foam really just wrap it around and duct tape.. what works good also is this bumper strip foam but thats for more of an aesthetically pleasing, selective padding.. of course i cant recommend enough the beautiful custom made euc covers by @The Fat Unicyclist.. a bit more pricey but well worth it, i would definitely not recommend for the training phase anything more expensive than a yoga mat from walmart lol, and then after training the euc bodyguard... i also like to use some hard rubber edge trim for the corners and places that are most vulnerable, including the pedals as they will probably be scraped up during learning as well

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

You should also not restrict yourself to kingsongs - the Gotway wheels, especially mcm5, msx and also tesla v?2? have very good reports here.

@Chriull Out of these wheels what would be closest to the range and speed and power of the KS18l? Oh and also the price!

If I could I would buy a Kingsong KS 18xl, but right now I only have enough for an 18l.

I hope the 18l is not outdated or underpowered like you said with some wheels. I want something reliable, safe and fun!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

@Chriull Out of these wheels what would be closest to the range and speed and power of the KS18l? Oh and also the price!

I have absolutely no experience with gotway wheels - wait for the recommendations of the orher more experienced members here!

If I could I would buy a Kingsong KS 18xl, but right now I only have enough for an 18l.

But you want to invest just once! Buying twice will be much.more expensive... :(

I hope the 18l is not outdated or underpowered like you said with some wheels. I want something reliable, safe and fun!

No - the L should be great, too. But it has "just" 4 cells in parallel. That's enough for a "low" powered wheel like the Ks16s - don't know if this is sufficient too for a high power wheel as this new KS18.

... But depends also much on your "temper" - how "aggressiv" you will/could enjoy your rides... Or how save you want to stay once you hit a pothole you did not see before at low battery charge ..

Ps.: One could stay forever satisfied and happy with the ks16s, too - as said before i own it and like it - just had a ks18xl ride today :thumbup:

So the final decission is yours - i(we) don' t know anything about you...

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It also depends on the concrete prices. E.g. you could save some money by buying a Gotway on AliExpress. What actual numbers are we talking about for the 18L vs 18XL?

@meepmeepmayer Whoa i never knew this site existed! Thanks lol!

18l coming to $2250 (Canadian) the 18xl coming to $3160 (Canadian)

Edited by Thatmustache

4 minutes ago, Chriull said:

No - the L should be great, too. But it has "just" 4 cells in parallel. That's enough for a "low" powered wheel like the Ks16s - don't know if this is sufficient too for a high power wheel as this new KS18.

... But depends also much on your "temper" - how "aggressiv" you will/could enjoy your rides... Or how save you want to stay once you hit a pothole you did not see before at low battery charge ..

I really don't believe there is a safety difference between 4p and 6p. Never heard any reports for 3p or more. I don't think you can drive that crazy so a 4p wheel will be overleaned but a 6p wheel will not. Would have to be a very very fringe case, wouldn't it?

1 minute ago, Thatmustache said:

Whoa i never knew this site existed! Thanks lol!

It may be nice to buy from a local dealer, especially with a first and expensive wheel. Because if there is any problem, Ali may be time-consuming or even futile. But saving money is also nice. Depends on the details.

1 minute ago, Thatmustache said:

18l coming to $2250 (Canadian) the 18xl coming to $3160 (Canadian)

That seems... overpriced? On freemotionshop.com (seems to be a Canadian business) it's $2000 vs $2800. Also check out what the ewheels.com prices would be, that is the reference for everyone else.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It also depends on the concrete prices. E.g. you could save some money by buying a Gotway on AliExpress. What actual numbers are we talking about for the 18L vs 18XL?

I have heard rumours too that also KS wheels can be bought via aliexpress if one asks for them.

As this establishef wheels normaly are "ok" there should not be too much risk. But if you are not the skilled electrician a save buy from some known and well reputated local reseller could save much trouble, just in case...

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I really don't believe there is a safety difference between 4p and 6p. Never heard any reports for 3p or more. I don't think you can drive that crazy so a 4p wheel will be overleaned but a 6p wheel will not. Would have to be a very very fringe case, wouldn't it?

For my ks16s 4p is sufficient. For "aggressive" riding/safety i personally would go for more with the newer, more powerfull wheels today. But that's just a gut feeling and very personal opinion...

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

So the final decission is yours - i(we) don' t know anything about you...

@Chriull I don't know about me either lol. Because I'm yet to start riding I'm not sure what type of style my riding will be. All I know is that once I become proficient, I would probably be frustrated with only being able to go 25 kmh. Not sure if I would want to ride super fast all the time, but because I'll be going longer distances I will probably want the option to cruise a little faster. That's the reason I'm not looking at getting a King song 14d, or an inmotion v8, (even the Ks16s is a little faster than the v8)

But likewise range and comfort is important too :)

I don't know about me either lol

+1. That gave me a nice smile!

But likewise range and comfort is important too :)

What do you mean with range?

Somehow i get the feeling you need the big battery MSX or KS18XL ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That seems... overpriced? On freemotionshop.com (seems to be a Canadian business) it's $2000 vs $2800. Also check out what the ewheels.com prices would be, that is the reference for everyone else.

@meepmeepmayer That's actually the website I was getting my numbers from. The prices I said are taxes included. (The taxes always add more and mess up my plans lol)

Freemotionshop is the cheapest prices I could find. Ewheels looks like a sweet place, but I compared and it was a bit more expensive from there. Or as stated above if I choose a Gotway like an MSX or something it's cheaper on Aliexpress

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

aliexpress

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

have heard rumours too

that bargaining/?mongering? can work out nicely, too

10 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

Ewheels looks like a sweet place, but I compared and it was a bit more expensive from there

Ewheels is one of the EUC starters - was here before most others. And has a great reputation for hassle free service - if any probs arise they'll (normally) solve it.

... But that beeing "risk free" costs a bit extra...

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

People I know who have bought the "L" have subsequently wish they bought the XL. Particularly as you write that this wheel will be used for country and long rides, I can't stress enough that you should find a way to buy the XL instead.

@Marty Backe Im trying to think of ways that I can get the 18xl now lol. Not sure if I can but I'm thinking.

Thanks for the advice btw, it helps. Yes ill be doing country riding, perhaps dirt trails, maybe gravel? But that will be much later once I feel comfortable. I'm not far off from your 130 lb soaking wet advice lol, I weigh in around 140, so I'm not a heavy rider by any means

Edited by Thatmustache

20 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Somehow i get the feeling you need the big battery MSX or KS18XL ;)

@Chriull yeah that seems to be the general consensus, and I'm feeling like that might be better too. I was considering the Kinsong 18 Because I've heard many good things about it (comfort, maneuverability, ease of riding) I always thought the M Super X to be Super cool (no pun intended) but heard it's harder to learn to ride on? Not sure.

But as of right now I think the MSX is cheaper than the KS18xl, especially on aliexpress it's a lot cheaper. Which is more friendly towards my budget.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

@Rywokast I'm going to thank you now! I didn't know you could get a Kingsong 18xl for that price!

I've never heard of aliexpress.com until today. Do you know or does anyone know of people who have bought euc's from there before. Thanks in advance everyone this is really helping me!

• Like 1