KS 16S or KS 18l for my first wheel? Help please

7 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Yeah, I didn't feel them for long... Filed the angle down to 11 degrees quite instantly.

Yet many people swear by the advanced angle of the factory MSX pedals and those pedals have saved their bacon. It would be almost impossible for your feet to get kicked off those pedals vs the "standard" angle.

But clearly many people don't like them. I think it's a given that you can't objectively say they are bad or good. Everyone has to reach their own conclusion.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think it's a given that you can't objectively say they are bad or good. Everyone has to reach their own conclusion.

I really wish there was a place to personally try out all these different wheels! Lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet many people swear by the advanced angle of the factory MSX pedals and those pedals have saved their bacon. It would be almost impossible for your feet to get kicked off those pedals vs the "standard" angle.

But clearly many people don't like them. I think it's a given that you can't objectively say they are bad or good. Everyone has to reach their own conclusion.

My MSX had pedal angles of 13 degrees on the right and 15 on the left. It is possible that many or even most MSXs have identical angle on the left and right, which would explain why my experience was so harsh. 13 degrees on both sides I would understand, and would've given a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

I really wish there was a place to personally try out all these different wheels! Lol

the amount of money i would have saved if that were the case....

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thatmustache said:

@Benphysics Wow that sounds really really frustrating. I really don't want that to happen to me. Would that not happen with a Gotway wheel? Do you need Gotways app to unlock their wheels, or can you just ride them out of box?

KS allows the customer to upgrade firmware from their mobile phones. GW does not. KS sends updates and you your wheel via the app; super convenient. I have not had any issues updating the firmware via app to either V1.12, or V1.13. With my XL or my L; smooth sailing. @Benphysics issue sounds like the fringe, and very rare nightmare scenario to me. These kinds of rare nightmare situations can, and have happened with every wheel model sold. To be sure he frustrated, and it's understandable, but it would be a mistake for you to panic and reverse your decision based solely on his frustration.

I have heard of people bricking wheels upgrading, but I personally haven't heard of a KS app crashing a phone. Even still, he should be able to get his wheel working just fine with a little assistance from the dealer. Once he does, he will be a very happy customer. 

I do recommend that before upgrading firmware you should ensure that you have downloaded the latest version of the app. Keep the wheel in one place, and don't ever leave the interface while it's upgrading.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

One advantage to riding in Southern California. We have group rides where just about every wheel is represented. If you ever have the opportunity to participate in a group ride, do it.

Yes I've already looked into group rides up here and plan on getting out to one when I can! After i get my wheel of course.

I'm thinking about getting the MSX, I have a gravel/ dirt driveway, and have all kinds of uneven country roads around me. Some of them are nice and smooth though. My reasoning is that every experienced rider I see on YouTube seems to prefer the MSX over the KS18xl, or at least can't say that the ks18xl is any better than the MSX. Such as @Marty Backe, also Ian from Speedy Feet I think feels the same, so does Chooch Tech, and also Kuji Rolls. (Yes i know im not experienced yet, but hopefully I will be in time) I guess Eddie Moy would be an example of someone who doesn't agree and who dislikes the MSX.

I want to be able to ride on streets, grass, trails, gravel and dirt roads, and I am unsure about the ks18xl's off road capabilities, in comparison to the MSX. All video evidence tends to show that the MSX is superior off roading. As well as not over heating?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

Yes I've already looked into group rides up here and plan on getting out to one when I can! After i get my wheel of course.

I'm thinking about getting the MSX, I have a gravel/ dirt driveway, and have all kinds of uneven country roads around me. Some of them are nice and smooth though. My reasoning is that every experienced rider I see on YouTube seems to prefer the MSX over the KS18xl, or at least can't say that the ks18xl is any better than the MSX. Such as @Marty Backe, also Ian from Speedy Feet I think feels the same, so does Chooch Tech, and also Kuji Rolls. (Yes i know im not experienced yet, but hopefully I will be in time) I guess Eddie Moy would be an example of someone who doesn't agree and who dislikes the MSX.

I want to be able to ride on streets, grass, trails, gravel and dirt roads, and I am unsure about the ks18xl's off road capabilities, in comparison to the MSX. All video evidence tends to show that the MSX is superior off roading. As well as not over heating?

I believe these statements are incontrovertible. There may be other reasons why an 18XL is superior to the MSX for a particular rider, but it's undeniable that the MSX runs cooler and its huge tire and higher pedals make it superior for off-road riding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey everyone, another total noob here. This thread has been super useful. I’m glad to be joining such a helpful and welcoming community.  

I was initially looking at the V-10F and KS-16s for my first wheel. I’d overlooked the MSX and KS-18 as I was worried the bigger wheels would be too hard to learn on. I was watching every review I could find and kept going back and forth but couldn’t make a decision. There a lot of great content on YouTube, but it seemed like nearly every wheel reviewed was the best thing since sliced bread, so not much help there.

Now, thanks to you guys and the info you’ve shared in this thread (along with a few suggestions from the subreddit) I’ve settled on the 18XL. I’ll be getting a bodyguard cover and all the required safety gear as well.

I also fly a paramotor which uses a super finicky and high strung 2-stroke to propel me through the air, so I know the value of good customer support. It looks like eWheels is the most recommended supplier in the US, so I’ll be ordering from them as soon as I get home from this overseas deployment.

If anyone rides in the Des Moines area, hit me up. Wouldn’t mind a few personal pointers when I start learning. 

Thanks Again!

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Guess I've never experienced any of this with my KS14S and KS18XL.

Neither did I, yes, Kingsong App is far from perfect, but basic things it does, I did unlock my wheel whitout any problems, and without any help from China goverment. And IMHO it's just funny to read about how people are concerned about their privacy, may I ask, what are you people doing what might be of interest to the Chinese or any other government:ph34r:, as for me, this should concern only those who are engaged in something illegal, I personally do not care if they find out that I was at the zoo with the children, or  agreed to drink beer with my friends :cheers:.

20 hours ago, Thatmustache said:

I'm starting to think I'll possibly go with the MSX because I want to be able to ride on trails and off road, as well as paved country roads. Ive heard the MSX is better for off roading.

I would suggest to watch on Youtube some comparisons vs Kingsong and Gotway, mostly people are telling that Kingsong is better in all categories that you listed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gundars Balodis said:

I would suggest to watch on Youtube some comparisons vs Kingsong and Gotway, mostly people are telling that Kingsong is better in all categories that you listed.

@Gundars Balodis I feel like ive watched every video there is on youtube about these 2 unicycles, I've even watched several videos upwards of 5 times over! Lol

Do you have any experience with off roading on the Kingsong 18xl? It is a very compelling choice!

Edited by Thatmustache

15 minutes ago, Gundars Balodis said:

mostly people are telling that Kingsong is better in all categories that you listed.

No, not really. By all reports for uneven terrain/offroading and altogether smooth cushioned riding, the MSX tire (which is not only wider, but also a bit bigger) is superior.

The 18XL is a bit more torque-y and zippy. It's a little smaller of a wheel in the end. And you will get a bit more range out of it.

Both are fantastic, though. Personally I think the MSX is *the* wheel of 2019 2018 (when both wheels released), but that doesn't mean the 18XL isn't nearly a similar success.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
numbers are hard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

Do you have any experience with off roading on the Kingsong 18xl? It is a very compelling choice!

Ooh yea, not only off road, but no road too :w00t2:, don't know about MSX, but Kingsong handles it very well. Plus I think, MSX has a more square shape therefore loses in ride comfort IMHO

Edited by Gundars Balodis
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gundars Balodis said:

Neither did I, yes, Kingsong App is far from perfect, but basic things it does, I did unlock my wheel whitout any problems, and without any help from China goverment. And IMHO it's just funny to read about how people are concerned about their privacy, may I ask, what are you people doing what might be of interest to the Chinese or any other government:ph34r:, as for me, this should concern only those who are engaged in something illegal, I personally do not care if they find out that I was at the zoo with the children, or  agreed to drink beer with my friends :cheers:.

I've seen off-road riding on the KS18XL and I've seen people rave about it. But I may be the only person producing videos that actually owns both wheels and have ridden them extensively.

IMO, the MSX is far superior to the KS18XL for off-road riding.

But if you can point me to a video from someone else that owns and rides both wheels and says the the KS18XL is better, I would LOVE to see it :popcorn:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The 18XL is a bit more torque-y and zippy. It's a little smaller of a wheel in the end. And you will get a bit more range out of it.

Both are fantastic, though. Personally I think the MSX is *the* wheel of 2019 2018 (when both wheels released), but that doesn't mean the 18XL isn't nearly a similar success.

@meepmeepmayer So is this a fair statement? 

- The MSX can do all that the KS18xl can do, maybe with the exception of zippiness, and a bit of range. It also does more than the ks18xl in terms of off road capabilities.

By the way I'm going to be ordering my wheel today, so I'm making a last minute decision between the MSX and the KS18XL. Any and all inputs are welcome :)

8 minutes ago, Gundars Balodis said:

Ooh yea, not only off road, but no road too :w00t2:, don't know about MSX, but Kingsong handles it very well. Plus I think, MSX has a more square shape therefore loses in ride comfort IMHO

I'm sorry, but unless you have extensively ridden a wheel (MSX), you can't offer any authoritative opinion on said wheel. It's like looking at a picture of a product and then writing a review about that product. What value to other people would that be???

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But if you can point me to a video from someone else that owns and rides both wheels and says the the KS18XL is better, I would LOVE to see it :popcorn:

Do you speak russian, I just think there is much more off-road in Russia than in America or Australia, even the majority of roads there are like off-road:wacko:, but I'll agree with you, if you have both wheels then off course you should know that better.

But, does it mean I made a mistake buying Kingsong;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Marty Backe From what I've seen so far, it looks like a lot of the people who don't like the angled pedals on the MSX perhaps are coming from only having ridden Kingsongs, and then when they try the Gotway MSX it feels foreign to them and they take an immediate disliking to it? At least maybe in most cases? So far I've also heard that people who rode the MSX as their first wheel had no issues with the pedals. So perhaps it is just becoming accustomed to one or the other. Thoughts?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gundars Balodis said:

Do you speak russian, I just think there is much more off-road in Russia than in America or Australia, even the majority of roads there are like off-road:wacko:, but I'll agree with you, if you have both wheels then off course you should know that better.

But, does it mean I made a mistake buying Kingsong;)

No. The 18XL is a great wheel. I bought one. But for off-road riding IMO the MSX is better.

2 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

@Marty Backe From what I've seen so far, it looks like a lot of the people who don't like the angled pedals on the MSX perhaps are coming from only having ridden Kingsongs, and then when they try the Gotway MSX it feels foreign to them and they take an immediate disliking to it? At least maybe in most cases? So far I've also heard that people who rode the MSX as their first wheel had no issues with the pedals. So perhaps it is just becoming accustomed to one or the other. Thoughts?

What's funny is the the KS14C had angled pedals just like the MSX, and that was 3-years before the MSX. So KingSong did this long before Gotway did.

I really can't say why people like or dislike the MSX pedals. Personally, I can easily adjust to every wheel. But clearly some people are unwilling to adjust.

31 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

@meepmeepmayer So is this a fair statement? 

- The MSX can do all that the KS18xl can do, maybe with the exception of zippiness, and a bit of range. It also does more than the ks18xl in terms of off road capabilities.

By the way I'm going to be ordering my wheel today, so I'm making a last minute decision between the MSX and the KS18XL. Any and all inputs are welcome :)

I guess that's mostly fair.

All wheels can do pretty much everything, the question is how well it works and how comfortable it is. The MSX seems to be better for offroading and rough terrain.

Also go by looks and what wheel your intuition tells you to get. It's not only about specs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

What's funny is the the KS14C had angled pedals just like the MSX, and that was 3-years before the MSX. So KingSong did this long before Gotway did.

I really can't say why people like or dislike the MSX pedals. Personally, I can easily adjust to every wheel. But clearly some people are unwilling to adjust.

Hmmm very interesting!

I really like what you said though, "some people are unwilling to adjust." I guess it's more of an unwilling, rather than an unable to adjust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

I can tell you the KS18XL is a complete dream to ride. Very easy and comfortable. Solid wheel too. 

LOL @Thatmustache confused yet? Truth is, you can only make one of two right choices. Both wheels are great. Trust your gut and go with the one you secretly want more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

LOL @Thatmustache confused yet? Truth is, you can only make one of two right choices. Both wheels are great. Trust your gut and go with the one you secretly want more.

I didn’t mean to confuse anyone . I’m going to get the MSX also.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1