Gotway Monster 2019

On 7/19/2019 at 2:41 AM, Ben Kim said:

Lift sensor, 35W bluetooth speaker, upgraded metal screws/posts (more durable), larger pedals, brighter light, translucent inner shell, SUPPOSEDLY an improved motor (no confirmation yet)

I wouldn't get a Monster if you don't contend with off-road or really poor road conditions.  For my purposes (living in pothole infested NYC) it's exactly what I need.  I will take a seat over a trolley any day.

However, I might buy a 100V Nikola Plus if and when funds allow me to.  That wheel looks TOO fun!  It should in theory be quicker than the MSX 100V, given the smaller wheel, and the width of that tire should handle NYC potholes adequately as well. 

So can can anyone confirm if it has a 2500 W motor or a 2000W motor (same as v2 monster or msx).  I just don't see a reason to get v3 monster if you have msx.  It has a larger wheel sure, but a thinner tire and the reliability will be unknown compared to a rock solid MSX.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, photorph said:

So can can anyone confirm if it has a 2500 W motor or a 2000W motor (same as v2 monster or msx).  I just don't see a reason to get v3 monster if you have msx.  It has a larger wheel sure, but a thinner tire and the reliability will be unknown compared to a rock solid MSX.  

i seriously doubt it, the 100V nikola motor was touted as 3000W nominal lol.. i think theyre pulling it out of their ass and they are all 2000W.. would be cool but i dont think so.. i dont think anyone is comparing the MSX to the monster, its not something you can compare like an MSX vs KS18XL.. monster has always been in a class completely of its own.. getting a monster V3 i think you cant go wrong, but upgrading from a monster V2 to V3 would not be worth it in any way imo

4 hours ago, photorph said:

Shell issues aside, the V2 monster appears to be extremely reliable?

• Upvote 1

I've had just a few spills on the monster v2 84v (the wheel not myself) and the only serious body damage occurred to the battery panel along its edge and to the center translucent pieces. I've seen people pad these areas which now makes sense as it's really the only contact points during a crash (or the most likely points of contact). As for the translucent pieces, they cracked into separate pieces at the screws so even though the new version has metal inserts, I believe the force could be transmitted elsewhere and still damage the plastic. Accidents happen and so long as I'm alive, I dont mind replacing a "quarter panel" or "bumper/grill". The internals failing is another story.

6 minutes ago, OUNCESMUSIC said:

I've had just a few spills on the monster v2 84v (the wheel not myself) and the only serious body damage occurred to the battery panel along its edge and to the center translucent pieces. I've seen people pad these areas which now makes sense as it's really the only contact points during a crash (or the most likely points of contact). As for the translucent pieces, they cracked into separate pieces at the screws so even though the new version has metal inserts, I believe the force could be transmitted elsewhere and still damage the plastic. Accidents happen and so long as I'm alive, I dont mind replacing a "quarter panel" or "bumper/grill". The internals failing is another story.

Sounds about right, a friend dropped his wheel accidentally and it fell on its side. Only the inner cover saw any damage. 

Is 22 inches the ACTUAL diameter of the Monster's wheel? The MSX is an 18" wheel, but measured, it's 19.5". Just wondering if you measure the Monster wheel if it's ... 23.5" or something like that.

Edited by erk1024

I seen in the specs that the 2019 Monster is suppose to have four 35watt speakers.  Does anyone know how they are positions.  Are the speakers just on one side like the 2019 Tesla, or are there two speakers on each side?

1 hour ago, Lemaj said:

I seen in the specs that the 2019 Monster is suppose to have four 35watt speakers.  Does anyone know how they are positions.  Are the speakers just on one side like the 2019 Tesla, or are there two speakers on each side?

FOUR? No way, that must be the total of the four speakers (35watts total). Is it basically the same speaker amplifier as in the Nikola? 

• Like 3

On 7/17/2019 at 6:22 AM, Ben Kim said:

I will be pulling the center covers off to confirm the presence of 4 battery packs though.

@Ben Kim did your 2460Wh V3 from Green arrive as yet? 

If so, how are you finding it and did you open it up to check on the layout of the battery packs?

Another question that still remains unanswered is whether the motor is 2500w or the original 2000w from the V2?

I look forward (and I'm sure others will also) to hearing all of your feedback if you have the wheel already and if not in the very near future!!!

Edited by fbhb

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

@Ben Kim did your 2460Wh V3 from Green arrive as yet? 

If so, how are you finding it and did you open it up to check on the layout of the battery packs?

Another question that still remains unanswered is whether the motor is 2500w or the original 2000w from the V2?

I look forward (and I'm sure others will also) to hearing all of your feedback if you have the wheel already and if not in the very near future!!!

nope. still stuck in purgatory. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

I talked to Jason at ewheels  and he said the motor on the V2 and V3 Monster are identical.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Sketch said:

I talked to Jason at ewheels  and he said the motor on the V2 and V3 Monster are identical.

called it.. i knew when they were bullshitting about the different specs flying around for the nikola that the monster was probably the same too

22 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Gotway posted photos of all their control boards. Problem is, none of them are labeled... So one of those is the V3 board.board

Yup. 

Their new boards don't have that yellow transformer any more, they have an aluminum looking DC coil bundle in its place. Plus there's a small board plugged into that area on the main board that is I believe for all the step down peripheral electronics power(?)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yup. 

Their new boards don't have that yellow transformer any more, they have an aluminum looking DC coil bundle in its place. Plus there's a small board plugged into that area on the main board that is I believe for all the step down peripheral electronics power(?)

bluetooth speaker interface i believe 

3 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

bluetooth speaker interface i believe 

It's a different one sticking off the main board, not the blue-back BT module, and not just affixed by Kafuter.

Edited by houseofjob

32 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

So they posted old, out-of-date photos of the control boards?!  :facepalm:

I've seen them do this when models get EOL'd, like the whole MSV3 shell file getting upped to thingiverse.

• Like 1

So what's the deal with Gotway speed alarms? 

It seems like the thing everyone does is to disable the 1st and 2nd alarms AND tiltback. Then they listen for the 80% beeps. 

Are the 80% beeps really at 80% power? There was some discussion that this is another speed alarm that's based on battery percentage?

Why disable titlback? Isn't that kind of the "last resort" message from the wheel that you're exceeding it's limits? Is it because the app / firmware hasn't been updated so the tiltback can't be set higher than 50kph? Obviously the 100V Monster is capable of going faster than 31mph...

Update: OK I found this thread

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, erk1024 said:

So what's the deal with Gotway speed alarms? 

It seems like the thing everyone does is to disable the 1st and 2nd alarms AND tiltback. Then they listen for the 80% beeps. 

Are the 80% beeps really at 80% power? There was some discussion that this is another speed alarm that's based on battery percentage?

Why disable titlback? Isn't that kind of the "last resort" message from the wheel that you're exceeding it's limits? Is it because the app / firmware hasn't been updated so the tiltback can't be set higher than 50kph? Obviously the 100V Monster is capable of going faster than 31mph...

Update: OK I found this thread

Did you get your monster V3 yet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Did you get your monster V3 yet?

No. Jason said that the V3's had arrived but that mine had to be re-shelled by a tech. I'm assuming that means that one of the V3's had a defect in the shell and so they are going to replace it. They won't even ship it out until next week.  :unsure:

@Ben Kim Did you get yours?

Edited by erk1024