Gotway Monster 2019

1 hour ago, erk1024 said:

That's the idea. 35 psi seems like a more forgiving ride. 

As far as the acceleration goes, I think the consensus is that larger wheels are like being in a higher gear, so peak acceleration happens at a higher speed and is sustained for a longer period. Smaller wheels have a lot of low end torque but acceleration decreases as the speed increases. Marty made a good point that if you don't do really aggressive starts, then the Monster will feel pretty normal. People who've ridden the V2 said acceleration was better than the V1. Maybe the V3 will be better still? We'll see I guess. 

I ordered the 100V Monster V3 with 1845wh batteries. It will be around 60ish pounds, so lighter than the super heavy 2400wh or 2460wh versions. I'd be happy if I got similar range to the 18XL.

Super heavy? a 24s2p battery is about 4.7 lbs, about 7% more weight. 4.7 lbs extra and an extra $200 to get 25% more battery capacity is a no brainer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peter Q said:

May I ask how much and where you ordered the 100v Monster V3- 1845wh? I'm still waiting to order a V3 84v 2400wh from Ewheels.

PQ

Not the guy who ordered one, but green fashion shop, whom I bought my msuper from, has this listing for 2.6k, for the 100v 1845wh wheel.

It would be fun to own but I think any wheel over 30lbs or so should have an integrated walking handle by default; it's just a reality of using one as a daily commuter that you will need to treat it like a suitcase sometimes and carrying a monster isn't an option, (thanks for the wheel-pickup cutoff switch though, probably necessary to keep it from maiming someone accidentally with a 3KW motor)

Edited by tudordewolf
better link
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Peter Q said:

May I ask how much and where you ordered the 100v Monster V3- 1845wh?

I pre-ordered it through eWheels at the same price as the old version. Probably won't arrive until the first week of August. 

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I pre-ordered it through eWheels at the same price as the old version. Probably won't arrive until the first week of August. 

Where? EWheels doesn’t have this preorder anywhere on its page 

Just now, Darrell Wesh said:

Where? EWheels doesn’t have this preorder anywhere on its page 

On their Nikola product page there is an option to place a deposit on the 100V for $500.

16 minutes ago, who_the said:

On their Nikola product page there is an option to place a deposit on the 100V for $500.

But that is pre order for Nikola plus,  I want to pre order the Monster V3?

Can you tell me how I can pre order Monster V3 from Ewheels?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

@Jason McNeil hasn’t put up the preorder page yet 

29 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

Can you tell me how I can pre order Monster V3 from Ewheels?

Thanks

Jason is often just a little behind on new updates to the website. E-mail him directly.

I know of two people who have just ordered the 100-volt V3 Monster.

35 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Also, dumb, possibly general Gotway question:

Short of physically disabling it, can the lift sensor be disabled through software? 

You cannot disable the lift sensor on Gotway wheels.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You cannot disable the lift sensor on Gotway wheels.

I just had a really dumb premonition; that the seat would depress the lift sensor given how it is attached to the wheel (I recently got a chance to look at a Monster V2 in person and just realized how that might be an issue.  

7 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I just had a really dumb premonition; that the seat would depress the lift sensor given how it is attached to the wheel (I recently got a chance to look at a Monster V2 in person and just realized how that might be an issue.  

the lift sensor will only function if the wheel is motionless.. and the chances in the seat hitting it are about a million to one

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Super heavy? a 24s2p battery is about 4.7 lbs, about 7% more weight. 4.7 lbs extra and an extra $200 to get 25% more battery capacity is a no brainer. 

I don't think it's a "no brainer" at all. Maybe just looking at the numbers it's a no brainer, but if you think about what's really going on here you might see it in a different light. If you want the 100V version of the Monster then the 1845wh version is the largest capacity that comes from the factory. Some sellers modify that model to add in more batteries. Of course, there is no way for THAT to go sideways...

• We've seen with the Nikola hot glue issue, that things can go wrong during assembly at the factory. Now you have the possibility of assembly issues from the seller?
  • This is a Chinese seller who is not subject to any US regulations, and the shipping time round trip is a couple months?
  • The batteries are different from the ones used in the wheel? 
  • What's the quality of the hand built battery pack?
  • What BMS did they use and how good is it?
  • How good is the connection from this bolted on battery to the system?
  • Will the charging wiring handle fast charging, and has it been tested with a fast charger?
  • How well is the battery secured into the wheel, what if it comes loose after a hundred miles?
  • Is this battery in the same physical space as the control board, and would heat from the board to compromise it?

etc. etc. etc. 

Now if you're a tinkerer and you know what you're doing, then you can try out a modification and if things go wrong, you can keep tinkering with it until you're happy with it. But the non-tinkerers want a product that's tested and works, and if it doesn't work they can return it.

@Darrell Wesh @Peter Q  For a pre-order, probably send an email to sales@ewheels.com. You've got time, as the V3's probably not going to ship out from eWheels until early August.

Edited by erk1024

1 hour ago, erk1024 said:

I don't think it's a "no brainer" at all. Maybe just looking at the numbers it's a no brainer, but if you think about what's really going on here you might see it in a different light. If you want the 100V version of the Monster then the 1845wh version is the largest capacity that comes from the factory. Some sellers modify that model to add in more batteries. Of course, there is no way for THAT to go sideways...

• We've seen with the Nikola hot glue issue, that things can go wrong during assembly at the factory. Now you have the possibility of assembly issues from the seller?
  • This is a Chinese seller who is not subject to any US regulations, and the shipping time round trip is a couple months?
  • Will the charging wiring handle fast charging, and has it been tested with a fast charger?
  • How well is the battery secured into the wheel, what if it comes loose after a hundred miles?
  • Is this battery in the same physical space as the control board, and would heat from the board to compromise it?

etc. etc. etc. 

Now if you're a tinkerer and you know what you're doing, then you can try out a modification and if things go wrong, you can keep tinkering with it until you're happy with it. But the non-tinkerers want a product that's tested and works, and if it doesn't work they can return it.

@Darrell Wesh @Peter Q  For a pre-order, probably send an email to sales@ewheels.com. You've got time, as the V3's probably not going to ship out from eWheels until early August.

Just got email back from ewheels Sales, they told me the V3 motor will not be 2500w, but the same as before only 2000w.

Screenshot_20190716-081517.png

etc. etc. etc. 

You’re overthinking it. They’re using a fourth 615Wh Sanyo pack and wiring it in parallel. The standard 1845 is simply 3x Sanyo packs wired in parallel. They’re simply modifying the case to fit the pack (which is identical to the 3 inside the 1845Wh). 

I am curious as to where they are putting that 4th pack, but there is plenty of space in there to accommodate, just need to modify the shell. 

Everything is exactly the same as the 1845Wh, just 25% more range and ~5 lbs heavier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

You’re overthinking it. They’re using a fourth 615Wh Sanyo pack and wiring it in parallel. The standard 1845 is simply 3x Sanyo packs wired in parallel. They’re simply modifying the case to fit the pack (which is identical to the 3 inside the 1845Wh). 

I am curious as to where they are putting that 4th pack, but there is plenty of space in there to accommodate, just need to modify the shell. 

Everything is exactly the same as the 1845Wh, just 25% more range and ~5 lbs heavier.

Well we will see when you get yours, you know that you're the Guinea pig for the monster v3:laughbounce2:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Peter Q said:

Just got email back from ewheels Sales, they told me the V3 motor will not be 2500w, but the same as before only 2000w.

Thanks for the info! (Misleading numbers from an AliExpress seller? that's never happened before...)

43 minutes ago, KAY GEE said:

Well we will see when you get yours, you know that you're the Guinea pig for the monster v3:laughbounce2:

Yes, I know! It was a risk to order a wheel that nobody has seen, ridden, reviewed yet! At the same time, I sold my OneWheel and wanted an EUC with a bigger tire, and decided to get the Monster. At that point, there is a dilemma, get the current version or get the new (hopefully better) one? I guess I could have waited a couple months. Maybe the 16X will turn out to be the "wheel of the year" or the V3 will have issues. LOL. So it's an experiment...  ;)  

Edited by erk1024

43 minutes ago, KAY GEE said:

Of course :) I know there's always an inherent risk associated with a new wheel.  However, it is a calculated risk, due to the fact the actual board, batteries and internal shell design are essentially identical.  I've heard the motor is 2500W on the V3 monster, but now eWheels is stating otherwise.  I will be pulling the center covers off to confirm the presence of 4 battery packs though.

35 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I will be pulling the center covers off to confirm the presence of 4 battery packs though.

Ben Kim and I will be co-Guinea pigs I guess.  :) 

I think I read somewhere the shell is semi-translucent in places? It would be good to get a look at the control board and see what Mosfets we ended up with and if they are festooned (is this the word @Marty Backe used? LOL) with hot glue...

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Ben Kim and I will be co-Guinea pigs I guess.  :) 

I think I read somewhere the shell is semi-translucent in places? It would be good to get a look at the control board and see what Mosfets we ended up with and if they are festooned (is this the word @Marty Backe used? LOL) with hot glue...

I'd just remove the center panels and peek in directly.  They're standard Philips head screws.

• Like 1

Green Fashion has increased the price of this custom 2460Wh 100V Monster by $200! :(  The value proposition of going with the larger capacity has shrunk a little now.  

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 1