Gotway Monster 2019

8 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

The value proposition of going with the larger capacity has shrunk a little now.

One downside of having three battery packs is that the EUC is not balanced side to side or front to back. I didn't realize that was going to be the configuration. 
As far as the mosfet roulette, guessing the V3 is a very minor upgrade with a few new minor features. Hopefully they are using the same TO-247's and didn't change the board much.

Here are some random Monster questions: 

• How do you fill the tire? The valve comes straight up. Do you use a 90 degree adapter?
  • What pressure do you run the tire at, and at what weight (I think I can extrapolate to my 265 lbs)
  • How annoying is this thing to trolley? Does the seat help? It IS taller than a "normal" EUC.
  • Do we know what tire it's going to have? The photos from earlier in this thread looked like the same tire as before, but the renderings show a different tire.
  • It looks like we can get to the control board by pulling off the inner panel (instead of the whole case)? Want to check the Mosfets for assembly glue.
  • Does anybody sell a cover for it? I rarely dump my wheel these days, but would be cool to protect it anyway. Maybe it's time for the Kuji Rolls neoprene treatment.

What's the conclusion on the different between a V2 and a V3. I don't think we have a definitive answer, but it seems that ...

1. There is a new logo on the case.
  2. There is a cut-off switch under the handle
  3. It has "metal screws" (LOL) 
  4. It has bigger pedals that are either the Nikola ones, or they are similar size.
  5. There are some new speakers, or the current speakers are better, or ...
  6. It's black
  7. The Facebook Group listed the specs as a 2500W motor, but eWheels says it's the current 2000W motor.
  8. The case is a little stronger
Edited by erk1024
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What's the final specs of the monster v3 vs the v2?  There is a lot in this thread, can anyone just summarize the changes/improvements?

Also, if you have an msx 100v already (I do), what would your next wheel be?  The nikola plus or the monster v3 or the kingsong 16x?

-My reason for kingsong 16x is that I'll have something with great speakers and the best trolley, which my msx doesn't have

-my reason for nikola 100v would be better torque than msx due to slightly smaller wheel, similar performance and slightly better trolley handle

-,my reason for monster v3 would be bigger wheel, but that's all I can think of?  It doesn't even have a trolley.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, photorph said:

What's the final specs of the monster v3 vs the v2?  There is a lot in this thread, can anyone just summarize the changes/improvements?

Also, if you have an msx 100v already (I do), what would your next wheel be?  The nikola plus or the monster v3 or the kingsong 16x?

-My reason for kingsong 16x is that I'll have something with great speakers and the best trolley, which my msx doesn't have

-my reason for nikola 100v would be better torque than msx due to slightly smaller wheel, similar performance and slightly better trolley handle

-,my reason for monster v3 would be bigger wheel, but that's all I can think of?  It doesn't even have a trolley.  

And of course, you can sit-ride comfortably on Monster 😎😊

10 minutes ago, photorph said:

Lift sensor, 35W bluetooth speaker, upgraded metal screws/posts (more durable), larger pedals, brighter light, translucent inner shell, SUPPOSEDLY an improved motor (no confirmation yet)

I wouldn't get a Monster if you don't contend with off-road or really poor road conditions.  For my purposes (living in pothole infested NYC) it's exactly what I need.  I will take a seat over a trolley any day.

However, I might buy a 100V Nikola Plus if and when funds allow me to.  That wheel looks TOO fun!  It should in theory be quicker than the MSX 100V, given the smaller wheel, and the width of that tire should handle NYC potholes adequately as well. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, who_the said:

Love the Monster and its capabilities. Its speed and rock-solid ride are just what I need for my commute and long group rides. But: Without significant improvements to 1) its inadequate shell and 2) persistent problems with pedal hangers and shims, it's hard for me to consider. Looseness and free play develops in the pedals, I've seen it in wheels with right around 1,000 miles. And it's a significant job to replace with special tools required. I put too many miles on my wheels to have to face significant repairs after just 1,000 or 2,000 miles. I've also seen brand-new Monsters destroy their shells in relatively low-speed crashes. Their overall weight means serious forces in any crash that can split the shell. Again, a serious risk for such an expensive wheel. Would really love to have one, hopefully these issues have been sufficiently addressed in this iteration.

From what I hear, even the recent V2 Monsters have not had the shim issue.  It looks like they have enlarged the shims themselves to prevent them from shifting, and thus, creating the looseness.  I think the V3 shell should be somewhat more resilient in terms of durability, simply because they are using metal posts and screws, which was the biggest issue with the V2.  They also got rid of that rubberized texture which flaked off almost immediately on the inner shell.  I will be padding my wheel the best I can though, simply because I am pretty certain I will be dropping this wheel at some point, and want to mitigate it if at all possible.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

@EUC GUY posted this video after just receiving a full set of the New shells, in which he shows all the ares that strengthening improvements have been made! 

Thank you for letting others know about the video 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EUC GUY said:

Thank you for letting others know about the video

No No, thank you for making the video, I have also been following your Monster upgrade series of videos (which have been great viewing) as I am hoping to add a Monster V3 to my small collection.  As you have good communication with GotWay, are you able to find out the true power of the V3 motor for us?  The official GotWay spec sheet states 2500W, but @Jason McNeil has conflicting evidence that the New Monster's are using the same 2000W motor.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, fbhb said:

As you have good communication with GotWay, are you able to find out the true power of the V3 motor for us?  The official GotWay spec sheet states 2500W, but @Jason McNeil has conflicting evidence that the New Monster's are using the same 2000W motor.

I would also like to know 👍

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, fbhb said:

No No, thank you for making the video, I have also been following your Monster upgrade series of videos (which have been great viewing) as I am hoping to add a Monster V3 to my small collection.  As you have good communication with GotWay, are you able to find out the true power of the V3 motor for us?  The official GotWay spec sheet states 2500W, but @Jason McNeil has conflicting evidence that the New Monster's are using the same 2000W motor.

I don't know. The monster I have is the upgraded one before new shell was introduced. It's 2000w motor. Same as msx 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, who_the said:

Love the Monster and its capabilities. Its speed and rock-solid ride are just what I need for my commute and long group rides. But: Without significant improvements to 1) its inadequate shell and 2) persistent problems with pedal hangers and shims, it's hard for me to consider. Looseness and free play develops in the pedals, I've seen it in wheels with right around 1,000 miles. And it's a significant job to replace with special tools required. I put too many miles on my wheels to have to face significant repairs after just 1,000 or 2,000 miles. I've also seen brand-new Monsters destroy their shells in relatively low-speed crashes. Their overall weight means serious forces in any crash that can split the shell. Again, a serious risk for such an expensive wheel. Would really love to have one, hopefully these issues have been sufficiently addressed in this iteration.

Agree with everything you say. I still love my Monster even with the loose pedals. But yeah, I kind of place it in the Z10 category. Don't buy one if $3K is a lot of money for you to spend on a wheel.

Wishful thinking for V3 :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

What do you mean by that?

I love the Z10 but it has reliability issues and other quirks. I can't recommend it to people who consider spending $2K on a wheel to be a burden because there's a possibility they'll ultimately have a brick with no easy way to fix it. For those people, best to stick with a more mainstream wheel.

The Monster is also a fantastic wheel and is actually very reliable. But until Gotway moves to a KingSong type pedal hanger design, the Gotway pedals will forever loosen up over time. And if you do happen to have a higher speed crash on the Monster, it's not going to be pretty. So again, people who need to save to get a Monster, and it's going to be their primary wheel, I don't think I would condone that decision. It's a great wheel for people with lots of cash. IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I love the Z10 but it has reliability issues and other quirks. I can't recommend it to people who consider spending $2K on a wheel to be a burden because there's a possibility they'll ultimately have a brick with no easy way to fix it. For those people, best to stick with a more mainstream wheel.

Ah ok.

Except for the dead battery after the winter mine is still running fine. Zero issues so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Ah ok.

Except for the dead battery after the winter mine is still running fine. Zero issues so far.

My Z10 is still running too. The major annoyance for me is the need to calibrate it 90-percent of the time when I turn it on. Otherwise the pedals will be tilted up or down, depending on the phase of the moon. It's really quite bad.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That's weird indeed. Never had that happen. 

I'm not the only one though. I've heard from multiple other owners that their Z10 also has trouble keeping calibration. It's a roll of the dice with the Z10.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Zero issues so far.

My Z10, courtesy of @The Fat Unicyclist, also has never missed a beat!  It is a known fact, as stated by @houseofjob, that a number of the previous firmware's that Ninebot put out actually caused issues, with some being retracted.  My Z10 was unable to upgrade past the mainboard 1.0.2 that it shipped with, up until the very recent 1.0.7 release, which says to me that Ninebot recognised that they needed to fix at least some of the issues that they themselves caused!!!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

How do you fill the tire in the Monster with the valve coming straight out like that? 90 degree valve adapter? Or is the wheel big enough you can get a pump nozzle on there?

Depends on the pump but I've found this helpful.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPSVSHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OUNCESMUSIC said:

Depends on the pump but I've found this helpful

Cool! Thanks! I'll order one of those just in case!

I was having buyer's remorse after buying this inflator for my 18XL because it was fairly expensive AND I had to buy a battery and charger. But the pressure gauge is accurate, and I've used it like crazy since I got it. I just didn't realize how often I have to inflate something (daughter's scooter tires, EUC tire, car tires ...) Looks like it will probably work... The valve part is screw on and narrow.

InflatorBackSide.jpg