Gotway Monster 2019

3 hours ago, Hsiang said:

I made a whole video to explain it!

I watched it--nice work! You know, your video on "how the Z10 would change the world" is what got me into this whole EUC thing in the first place! It just looked like too much fun not to try. Truth is, it really IS that fun!  ;) 

Edited by erk1024

On 8/10/2019 at 8:13 AM, erk1024 said:
Going from the 18XL to the Monster V3

The first EUC I bought was a Kingsong 18XL. It's a good all around wheel. While it's not the best at any one thing, it's fairly good at everything: speed, maneuverability, comfort, acceleration, range, torque, portability. With an 18.5 inch wheel diameter, this is by no means small. However its tire is 2.5 inches wide while the MSX and all the new wheels coming from both Kingsong and Gotway use 3 inches wide tires. 

I don't really NEED another wheel, but why have just one?

Florida has bike (mixed-use) trails that are safer than being in the bike lane next to the cars, and more fun and scenic in any case. But the problem is that the asphalt surface is not great. Cracks, bumps, divots and snaking tree roots under the surface make it a bumpy ride. With my 265 pound weight, I have to run the 18XL's tire pressure at 50psi, which means there is not much give in the tire. I was riding on bike paths near the beach at twenty mph, all the bumps and jolts meant my feet were bouncing and shifting around on the pedals. I had to slow down and scoot them back into position to continue.

My motivation for trying a Gotway 100V Monster V3 is to see if the bigger and wider tire will do a better job of handling this kind of surface. I should be able to run it at a lower pressure for a more compliant ride. The tradeoff is that generally, larger wheels have less torque, acceleration and maneuverability. I'm actually not too worried about the last one, in videos, the riders make sharp turns and weave around pedestrians with no problem.

Torque is another issue to think about. For a motor with a given amount of power, the increase of radius reduces the effective torque in a linear fashion. So going from the MSX's 19.5" tire to the Monster's 23" tire should reduce the torque by about 15% (assuming the same motor and similar control board). A 15% drop doesn't doesn't sound like a deal breaker. But then the MSX isn't supposed to have amazing torque either (not like the MCM5, for example). The new "16" inch wheels will no doubt be the choice of off-road hill climbers, or just hill climbers in general.

My biggest worry is that if the Monster acceleration is too weak, it won't be fun to ride. I'm assuming that the acceleration will be about 15% less as well (torque gets translated into acceleration). I'm getting a little over my head here, but electric motors can maintain about the same amount of torque as RPM increases, they just need more and more current until you get to the max power output of the system. The larger wheel of the Monster is a little harder to spin up (moment of inertia). But that seems minor compared to the force needed to accelerate the much heavier rider. The MSX has great acceleration--a bit faster than the 18XL--so 15%-ish less acceleration also doesn't seem like the end of the world. @Marty Backe said "It's not going to accelerate like your 18XL, but it's not exactly a snail. If you're not into super hard starts, the Monster will feel just fine to you."

With the 18XL it's not that it doesn't have enough speed or acceleration, it's that the speed is often not usable because I get pounded by the poor quality of the pavement. So... the Monster seems like a good solution?

Hopefully I'll get the answer to this question next week when the Monster arrives, and I can post a review.

Look forward to your observations when you get the wheel. Somehow I suspect that you're going to be pleasantly surprised at it's comfort and capability of moving your robust self :D

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2019 at 10:42 PM, erk1024 said:

I watched it--nice work! You know, your video on "how the Z10 would change the world" is what got me into this whole EUC thing in the first place! It just looked like too much fun not to try. Truth is, it really IS that fun!  ;) 

Thank you! more like I should be sorry for pulling you into such an expensive and sometime dangerous hobby! =)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, Marty Backe said:

Look forward to your observations when you get the wheel.

Looks like they are going to get it put together and ship it by the end of the week. Hopefully receive it next week. Sigh. 

Next time I should just order something that's in stock for once!

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

After riding this Nikola for 300 miles now I’m very happy I didn’t go with the Monster 100v @houseofjob

I thought I wanted the comfort and top speed of the Monster but I now realize acceleration is everything. You don’t need top speed if you can put a huge gap on the cars off the line at a green light. And that’s what the Nikola can do easily. The cars may be coming back on a 45mph road, but I’d have put so much distance on them in the beginning I can make it to the next light before they catch up. 

This.

We were discussing on NYC chats today how scary it is, how fast you can get the Nik+ up to 30mph+ range almost in an instant few pushes. Case in point: I've never even heard of @eddiemoy going 40mph (however unintentional) until his report today (and even I don't dare push 40).

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

This.

We were discussing on NYC chats today how scary it is, how fast you can get the Nik+ up to 30mph+ range almost in an instant few pushes. Case in point: I've never even heard of @eddiemoy going 40mph (however unintentional) until his report today (and even I don't dare push 40).

Whaaat? Where’s his report? 

Yeah it’s amazing how you can create a gap even with cars that aren’t grandma’ing it off the line. And when you think you’ll hear beeping, the wheel’s just eerily silent, with more power to give. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sure would enjoy a video of this block-by-block style of riding :popcorn:

I had an insta360 for a few days but my laptop is too damn slow to do any editing with that resource hogging 360 uploads. Gotta upgrade. I have a phone gimbal but I need people recording me with it, I usually record others.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I had an insta360 for a few days but my laptop is too damn slow to do any editing with that resource hogging 360 uploads. Gotta upgrade. I have a phone gimbal but I need people recording me with it, I usually record others.

You have to use the phone app to edit, editing insta 360 one x apps on desktop is a HUGE pain and requires a custom PC with premier pro.  Their native desktop app is horrible to edit with.  But the iphone app is nice and easy to work with.  You only do one clip at a time, but you can just throw in iMovie and synce a few clips together after editing.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Monster (and Nikola) will both be here Friday! 

Be sure to let us know how the Monster's batteries are configured.  Really keen to hear your feedback on this 2460wh version, as I'm sure will others!!!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, photorph said:

You have to use the phone app to edit, editing insta 360 one x apps on desktop is a HUGE pain and requires a custom PC with premier pro.  Their native desktop app is horrible to edit with.  But the iphone app is nice and easy to work with.  You only do one clip at a time, but you can just throw in iMovie and synce a few clips together after editing.  

I made a few short videos with my phone on my V5+ but that was still a pain in the ass as my phone battery would drain within an hour watching those damn 360 videos. Had to literally be plugged to a wall charger just to do anything. Doesn’t help my phone is only an iPhone 7

4 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

In case if anyone is curious my monster v3 which was from the same Ali vender (green fashion) did arrive in working order. Also this is the extended range version, I still can't see how they found enough room to fit an extra pack but they did . Photo of the config, looks like they split the pack into many smaller packs and stuff them where ever they can. Feels a bit iffy and messy and I probably should spend sometime properly wire tie and pad the wheels

nice!! Range test please!!! 🤙😎

48 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

they split the pack into many smaller packs and stuff them where ever they can

That they put batteries right next to the control board. Hope there is not too much heat buildup.

The control board looks very similar but not identical to the V2. It doesn't have that yellow transformer. In both cases there are six screws that go down the center of the board. Wonder what those are for? There is a row of mosfets running along the right edge.

Edited by erk1024