THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

Simple.

You ride on street with cars - same paper work. License. Registration. Number plate. Insurance. (Or at least some of it..)

Sidewalk - nothing needed. Just follow the 25km/h speed law. Same thing as E-scooters. (If an 8 year old can go 25km/h non-stop.. Why can't a grown up go same speeds. I mean anyone can rent one and drive as he whishes.) :D 

And if you get caught going 35/40/45++km/h on said sidewalk, you get fine of 1000$ or 2000$. Don't care.

Edited by Funky

11 minutes ago, Funky said:

Simple.

You ride on street with cars - same paper work. License. Registration. Number plate. Insurance. (Or at least some of it..)

yes, a lot of riders couldt benefit from learning the basic rules of traffic... however a motorcycle license in Denmark is costly; $2000 or more.  And insurance for a vehicle with only 1 brake... no

8 minutes ago, Robse said:

yes, a lot of riders couldt benefit from learning the basic rules of traffic... however a motorcycle license in Denmark is costly; $2000 or more.  And insurance for a vehicle with only 1 brake... no

So instead of two brakes it's one. So the license should cost half of it, 1000$ instead of 2000$. :D (If they make it requirement - the insurance companies will need to start doing their job. Because it's requirement of the law.)

That's the thing - EUC's isn't motorcycle. But if they wanna "group" it under it - i don't care. You wanna ride on street - it's your problem.

If they make it a requirement to ride on street - you will have only 3 options.

1. Stop riding EUC on streets.
  2. Pay the pipe piper.
  3. Ride without license till you get caught.
Edited by Funky

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

So instead of two brakes it's one. So the license should cost half of it, 1000$ instead of 2000$. :D

that's s good one, i save that for later, when i talk to my insurance company😁

It doesnt matter for me, i already have a mc license, but i know whats gonna happen to the "sport" It will die.

Modern EUC weighs in more than 40 Kg, and top speed of +65 kmph , that's not a ebike or "pev" nor a scooter.  It's a motorcycle.

Edited by Robse

18 minutes ago, Robse said:

It doesnt matter for me, i already have a mc license, but i know whats gonna happen to the "sport" It will die.

Modern EUC weighs in more than 40 Kg, and top speed of +65 kmph , that's not a ebike or "pev" nor a scooter.  It's a motorcycle.

And whos fault is that.. I don't care about those EUC's. The same way they don't care about my class EUC's.

I'm happy with 20kg wheel, that can go 40km/h. I'm normally riding around 30km/h anyways. 

Manufacturers will simply need to start to make lightweight wheels finally... :thumbup:

Sport won't die, because there always will be some riders. Yes the "step in" will cost higher.. But most people who have already license - nothing much will change. And people still can buy cheaper/smaller wheels to ride on sidewalks. And in time they can go big, if they wanna.

Only the street riders will finally have a reality check.. As you said riding motorcycle level devices without any papers. 

Edited by Funky

Manufactures has to compete on quality instead of ever increasing specs.

Problem: if i had to spend $2000 for a license, id rather buy a motorcycle instead of a euc.  Everyone who has learned to ride a bicycle can ride a motorcycle.  Not everyone can learn to ride a EUC, or has the patience to learn.   A motorcycle wont cut out on you.  Even a small cheap motorcycle can go 100 kmph, no problem. A used small motorcycle doesn't cost $3 - 4000, but only half of that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Robse said:

Manufactures has to compete on quality instead of ever increasing specs.

Problem: if i had to spend $2000 for a license, id rather buy a motorcycle instead of a euc.  Everyone who has learned to ride a bicycle can ride a motorcycle.  Not everyone can learn to ride a EUC, or has the patience to learn.   A motorcycle wont cut out on you.  Even a small cheap motorcycle can go 100 kmph, no problem. A used small motorcycle doesn't cost $3 - 4000, but only half of that.

100% true.

I paid 2000$ for small form factor device that can take me from train to work. EUC was faster/smaller than scooter. Yes it costed 2 times the amount. But again i paid for formfactor.

And i gladly will pay again 2000$ for my next wheel. (When ever manufacturers finally will make a 20kg wheel with updates specs. Haven't seen one yet made.) 

If i needed a license i would sell EUC and buy scooter without even thinking about it. 2x times cheaper and still no need for any documents. For my EUC is a electric bicycle that goes 5-10km/h faster. I rode around 20km/h on regular bicycle. And to me it isn't a motorcycle which needs a license.

Two groups.. Fast and furious & Slow and steady.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Two groups.. Fast and furious & Slow and steady.

Yep, forgetting this leads quite often to quite understandable miscommunications.

My average A to B speed on the EUC is identical to the speed I got when I was casually riding a nonelectric bicycle in the old times.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

My average A to B speed on the EUC is identical to the speed I got when I was casually riding a nonelectric bicycle in the old times.

Same for me. I just now go 5-10km/h faster. If i was riding normally 20km/h. Or when i was chasing train that will leave after 2 minutes, going 30km/h on regular bicycle..

My daily A to B speed are around 25km/h, topping at 30km/h sometimes. Even then - i could be going slower, as i normally leave house/job way to fast. :D And still need to wait for the train.

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

This is while there is an error condition indicated on the display panel

The indication was for him approaching max set speed. If you watch it goes away as soon as he slows down. An actual error would stay.

• Like 1

For the use-cases of @Mono and @Funky, I can easily see you two don't have to have a suspension wheel.

The ride experience can be different on a suspension wheel. It's a subjective thing.

I don't find that I have to do much maintenance on my S22 anymore.

The S22 is a easy to ride workhorse. When in doubt, it is always safe to just ride the S22.

So why don't I always ride the S22.

Simply because I enjoy riding the V12 and Abrams too for the type of riding that I do.

I don't find that my S22 rides better. It is just that the S22 doesn't require constant monitoring of road imperfections, allows me to go higher speeds without worries, there's no pain, and much higher comfort.

All three give me a different positive ride experience.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

The indication was for him approaching max set speed. If you watch it goes away as soon as he slows down. An actual error would stay.

I went back and rewatched at quarter speed. 

It appears the red exclamation mark came on at 85 km/h, and went away when the speed drop below.

Not sure as to the purpose.

First of all, it would unlikely someone would see it while riding at 85 km/h, nevermind clicking on it to see what the error alert actually say.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Not sure as to the purpose.

well, like i said. It indicates you are approaching max speed, it's accompanied by beeps and followed by tiltback @ around 88 km/hr and if you push back against it you can hit 93km/hr before full tiltback takes over. The marker really has no value since you don't really want to be looking down at that point and i'm sure its not meant to "click" on :D

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

doesn't require constant monitoring of road imperfections

Vigilance begins to fade. This is a consequence of the suspension wheels, a false confidence arises. You remain a good wheeler, because this effect is not irreversible.

Edited by varamontelo
  • Upvote 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:36 AM, varamontelo said:

Vigilance begins to fade. This is a consequence of the suspension wheels, a false confidence arises.

I don't ride a suspension wheel but noticed that I stopped, after many years, constantly monitoring the road too. My road monitoring activity has dropped back not so far from those I do when cycling. I see this as a consequence of the acquired skill to ride over hardly visible bumps or potholes without being aware of them in advance.

Edited by Mono

18 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

Vigilance begins to fade. This is a consequence of the suspension wheels, a false confidence arises. You remain a good wheeler, because this effect is not irreversible.

I have a patton and a og sherman but even when riding the patton i still prepare for bumps just like i would on a non suspension wheel , then again i learnt to ride on a non suspension wheel so it's probably engraved into me to use my knees when riding ,so maybe the bigger issue is when riders learn on a suspension wheel and know no other way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, varamontelo said:

I could say the same for non-suspension wheels too.

In short I will argue that a suspension wheel do not get as big a spike in power need when it hits an obstacle. The suspension will help carrying you over with less momentum loss.

But thinking a rated speed is safe regardless of what you do is going to get the rider in trouble. And this goes for suspension or none the like. I would also say riding at top speed comes at a higher risk always Vs giving a little more headroom for your wheel. The key point here is surplus in torque and traction is what is needed to maintain balance.

It's a nice thing to only have to be scanning for large scale terrain disruption, and I don't think suspension wheels lead to complacency in that department so much as it just  becomes a vestigial skill that used to be important but isn't (so much) anymore (unless you regularly go back to non-suspension wheels I guess), and which frees up our attention for other things in our surroundings and makes for a more generally relaxed kind of ride. 

• Like 2

Suspension, or no suspension. You still need to watch where you ride!

To think that you got suspension - you can ride more "care free" are simply wrong. (Yes it can save one's ass..) You still need to watch the road!

• Like 2