THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

coyote rig complete.

i've ordered a new 12" ipad, $3000 with all the bells and whistles. i'd like to get a insta 360x4 i think, and mount it on top of my helmet.

my primary objective is surveillance and looking around and fixating aren't the best on any moving vehicle, but especially dangerous traversing raw land. 

i'd like to be able to transfer to the ipad but i don't have wifi. 

will i be able to view the videos on my ipad using some way to transfer large files.

figured with all u computer nerds, this query is right up ur alley!

36 minutes ago, novazeus said:

coyote rig complete.

i've ordered a new 12" ipad, $3000 with all the bells and whistles. i'd like to get a insta 360x4 i think, and mount it on top of my helmet.

my primary objective is surveillance and looking around and fixating aren't the best on any moving vehicle, but especially dangerous traversing raw land. 

will i be able to view the videos on my ipad using some way to transfer large files.

your iPad has wifi, a instacam can connect directly to a device's wifi and you can transfer, control and watch live video from the instacam, nul problemo. But this really sucks energy out of the insta battery, however in your case i think it won't matter if there's battery for 1,5 or 3 hours 😁.  You can connect a smartphone to a insta the same way 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

coyote rig complete.

New 12" iPad???

The new M4 models are 'advertised' as 11 and 13", same as the new Airs with M2.

As for the Insta360 X4, I have the X3 - it's pretty sweet. But there is NO version of the Insta360 Studio app available for iPadOS or iOS - you need a Mac or Windows computer. Otherwise, it will be a waste of money to get the 360 cameras: to take full advantage of 360 video you need this app. You could record from one camera only, but you might as well get the GoPro with Max lens mod. It has better stabilization and other features.

You can also use Adobe Premier with the Insta360 Reframe - Adobe Premiere Pro Plug-In, but, again, only Windows and Mac, and you need Premier installed. Final Cut Pro also has a plugin, but it requires MacOS and doesn't work with the 360 cameras - just the One R. I am not aware of any other apps that will import and/or reframe 360 video files.

As for transferring files to the iPad or any other device/computer, see page 32-34 of the user manual. You need the Insta360 Studio app running on a computer to transfer and utilize the video effectively.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, litewave said:

New 12" iPad???

The new M4 models are 'advertised' as 11 and 13", same as the new Airs with M2.

As for the Insta360 X4, I have the X3 - it's pretty sweet. But there is NO version of the Insta360 Studio app available for iPadOS or iOS - you need a Mac or Windows computer. Otherwise, it will be a waste of money to get the 360 cameras: to take full advantage of 360 video you need this app. You could record from one camera only, but you might as well get the GoPro with Max lens mod. It has better stabilization and other features.

You can also use Adobe Premier with the Insta360 Reframe - Adobe Premiere Pro Plug-In, but, again, only Windows and Mac, and you need Premier installed. Final Cut Pro also has a plugin, but it requires MacOS and doesn't work with the 360 cameras - just the One R. I am not aware of any other apps that will import and/or reframe 360 video files.

As for transferring files to the iPad or any other device/computer, see page 32-34 of the user manual. You need the Insta360 Studio app running on a computer to transfer and utilize the video effectively.

well, what do i know, i'm not an apple user... did not know.  My insta just connects to any of my cheap android phones and transfer is real easy.  But of course, since its 360 shots you need the insta software to make the initial cut.;)

Edited by Robse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robse said:

well, what do i know, i'm not an apple user... did not know.  My insta just connects to any of my cheap android phones and transfer is real easy.  But of course, since its 360 shots you need the insta software to make the initial cut.;)

What do you do with the 360 videos after transferring to your Android? What app do you use to edit? If you recorded in 360 with both lenses, does only one side play back?

Just now, litewave said:

What do you do with the 360 videos after transferring to your Android? What app do you use to edit? If you recorded in 360 with both lenses, does only one side play back?

I use the insta software, but for most i do the editing at the computer (win 10 (and 11 in all its misery..))  editing on smartphone it's just not doable with no real mouse

Posted (edited)

yeah sorry, 13".

glad i didn't order it. the x4, the ipad is otw. this one, 11" pro is about done.

25 minutes ago, litewave said:

New 12" iPad??

Edited by novazeus

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah sorry, 13".

glad i didn't order it.

They are nice devices but for video, you'll get better value from a PC or maybe a Mac, depending on what OS you prefer.

• Thanks 1

Just now, litewave said:

Will this app reframe 360 video? A quick search of the features page doesn't show any results.

No, has to do this in the insta software first, i know that this is a two step process, but it's fun for free (no bucks), and i like that very much :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, litewave said:

They are nice devices but for video, you'll get better value from a PC or maybe a Mac, depending on what OS you prefer.

i just want the easiest video transfer to my new ipad. using the iphones for video was easy, just airdrop the videos over. i'm not editing squat!

i just want to be able to view my property while i lay on my mattress in the ac.

i might just format one of my phones and use it for videos only. then after transferring to my 2tb ipad, deleting the video from the phone.

i have a gopro hero 4 black that is a pita to upload to the ipad with horrible at&t wireless service.

20 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i just want the easiest video transfer to my new ipad. using the iphones for video was easy, just airdrop the videos over. i'm not editing squat!

i just want to be able to view my property while i lay on my mattress in the ac.

i might just format one of my phones and use it for videos only. then after transferring to my 2tb ipad, deleting the video from the phone.

i have a gopro hero 4 black that is a pita to upload to the ipad with horrible at&t wireless service.

AIrdrop only works on Apple devices, I believe. You can record video on your iPhone.

If you're not going to edit then no reason to buy another camera in my opinion.

If you do, the GoPro with Max lens mod is a great choice. You will probably have to use the app to transfer video to your iPad after pairing over BT.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, litewave said:

If you do, the GoPro with Max lens mod is a great choice. You will probably have to use the app to transfer video to your iPad after pairing over BT.

yeah that looked pretty good and i know it's doable out here offgrid wirelessly.

maybe that and a chin mount for my tsg pass helmet. that with the max lens should give me enough of a view.

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

yeah that looked pretty good and i know it's doable out here offgrid wirelessly.

maybe that and a chin mount for my tsg pass helmet. that with the max lens should give me enough of a view.

I have used this one. The Pass faceshield won't close all the way due to the straps. Not sure why you would use the TSG pass this time of year in hot FL, but suum cuique.

I use Insta cams a few of them, chipped another yesterday…. :/ 

X4 maybe on order soon.

i use the ace pro, x2,x3

i also use iPad Pro, iPhone and Mac mini pro to edit.

IPhone and Mac let you export 4k from the insta360 software 

IPad won’t…  - dumb

My iPhone does ok, I like iPhone because you have a few more options in studio - freeze frame, reframing camera using iPhone movement etc

I do most reframing on Mac, Insta app. I have Final Cut but I’m not using it atm.

I use Lumafusion for fast workflow. 

Not sure if any of this info helps anyone :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Forwardnbak said:

I use Insta cams a few of them, chipped another yesterday…. :/ 

X4 maybe on order soon.

i use the ace pro, x2,x3

i also use iPad Pro, iPhone and Mac mini pro to edit.

IPhone and Mac let you export 4k from the insta360 software 

IPad won’t…  - dumb

My iPhone does ok, I like iPhone because you have a few more options in studio - freeze frame, reframing camera using iPhone movement etc

I do most reframing on Mac, Insta app. I have Final Cut but I’m not using it atm.

I use Lumafusion for fast workflow. 

Not sure if any of this info helps anyone :) 

What Insta360 software will export 4K from 360 video on the iPhone?