THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 4/17/2020 at 8:46 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Here's 2 minutes of your life wasted, as I try on my new Bell DH 

Your new Bell DH will save your life someday if ever called into action. It was my guardian angel.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, travsformation said:

I finally got round to putting together a video from the footage of my last ride! (recorded March 8th).The video was getting long so I decided to split it up into several shorter videos (more to come soon!)

Very nice, that has to be a LOOONG selfie stick.  You asked for advice, I'm assuming opinions count? The ride looks great, but it seems the colors are muted. I much prefer it over being overly saturated. If it was in fact an overcast day, then you captured it perfectly.  Lack of so many camera angle changes, play nicely with the music. It seems like a surreal vibe and very mellow. Again, good choice. It would have been nice to see a 'little' bit of shot from close to the ground. You know, the 'wheel' view. Personally, I find the wheel view to give credibility to what's really going on. Those of us that don't know, would 'float' so softy that the actual riding is forgotten. Not much wheel view, but a few moments of it perhaps?   Maybe a good closer view with you center frame and the background running away. You are distant in this, not impersonal, but you know.. Of course, with such a LONG stick (pun intended), getting close ups can be a pita. Telemetry.. I think too much would ruin the vibe, but along the same lines as the wheel view, having a few moments of speed and distance, may bring the viewer into the ride more? Again, all opinions and thats what you asked for. My internet can't handle 50fps, so I had to watch the 720p version. Even at just 720p, your quality makes me second guess how capable my gopro max is. I've a feeling an insta360 may be incoming soon.  All in all, its a great video, much better than mine. To improve it by much more, i think you're going to have to focus on content and form a serious 'gameplan', as your video quality is already on point.  Maybe you could write a custom soundtrack for the videos? I've been asked that and I think its a laughable amount of effort for noone to notice. But hey, just tossing ideas. Again, looks good, and aside from having to chase down exciting content, I think you'd have to add more cameras and add many more layers to get much better. Well done!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your new Bell DH will save your life someday if ever called into action. It was my guardian angel.

Looking into mounting a camera with mic on it. If it contains my bluetooth and mic and video, Im more likely to wear it. It only took about an hour to pick off that stupid sticker on the front, and paint the damn rear fin black. Not extremely comfy, but what helmet really is? Sadly, 30mph comes VERY fast and seems VERY slow, when i don the bucket. More likely to get in a crash for a variety of reasons, but also more likely to not crack my skull when I do...  choices choices.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Excellent job buddy! I have zero criticism. 

Thanks! ☺️

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Be easy on yourself. Your beginning to sound like my wife...”Is my hair ok?” .... “Do I look fat in this dress?”.....”How are my shoes”? ......”Am I over dressed for the occasion?” ;)

😂😂😂

I guess we all have our priorities... I needed a haircut at least 3 months ago, am unconcerned about my beer belly, choose shoes that are comfortable for EUC riding and have never over-dressed in my life... 😅

But God forbid if there's a camera movement that's too jerky, a transition that doesn't look right or an overexposed sky in my videos... I go into full-on "What are the online EUC-neighbors going to think of me?" 😂😂😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You asked for advice, I'm assuming opinions count?

Indeed, thanks for your input! :thumbup:

Very nice, that has to be a LOOONG selfie stick

It's the extended selfie stick, just under 9 ft (same one Marty uses). I have to say I'm very impressed with the camera's stabilization, you can imagine how something as long as this (that gets narrower and narrower towards the end) bounces around on a bumpy dirt track:

2020-04-19-13-25-55-Insta360-Extended-Ed

The ride looks great, but it seems the colors are muted. I much prefer it over being overly saturated. If it was in fact an overcast day, then you captured it perfectly. 

It was overcast, yeah (notice the complete lack of camera/selfie stick shadow)

Lack of so many camera angle changes, play nicely with the music. It seems like a surreal vibe and very mellow. Again, good choice. 

Thanks! I find that chillstep to make for good riding videos...mellow vibe but with enough backbone to keep things moving...

In the future I plan on creating more of a soundscape by recording audio with an external mic (the Insta360's audio is completely unusable, point for the GoPro there!). The lack of road sound (which I love, especially on dirt trails) takes away from the video, but I'm taking things step by step and upping the production complexity gradually so I don't overwhelm myself :whistling:

It would have been nice to see a 'little' bit of shot from close to the ground. You know, the 'wheel' view. Personally, I find the wheel view to give credibility to what's really going on. Those of us that don't know, would 'float' so softy that the actual riding is forgotten. Not much wheel view, but a few moments of it perhaps?  Maybe a good closer view with you center frame and the background running away. You are distant in this, not impersonal, but you know.. Of course, with such a LONG stick (pun intended), getting close ups can be a pita. Telemetry.. I think too much would ruin the vibe, but along the same lines as the wheel view, having a few moments of speed and distance, may bring the viewer into the ride more? 

Those are excellent ideas, just the kind of suggestions I was looking for, THANKS! :cheers:

I'll start taking the normal selfie stick with me so I can intersperse some wheel shots (those should appeal to riders and non-connoisseurs alike) and some closer shots of myself (without my super-long stick) :D

I've been on the fence about telemetry for some time: it's great for long takes, but doesn't look too great IMO when you have shorter shots. But I reckon it's worth playing around with to see if I can fit it in somehow, that added data (just like all your other suggestions) should contribute to making videos more immersive overall 

My internet can't handle 50fps, so I had to watch the 720p version. Even at just 720p, your quality makes me second guess how capable my gopro max is. I've a feeling an insta360 may be incoming soon.

I actually recorded this one in 4K @ 50fps (as opposed to 5.7 @ 30fps) for in case I wanted to slow anything down, which I didn't. When editing, I was afraid the quality drop might be noticeable, but it actually looks better than my last video. Maybe Youtube upped the bitrate because of the increased framerate? (or maybe I accidentally uploaded the last one in h265, which I prefer for the local copies I keep)

The GoPro takes good footage, where do you find it lacking? Could it have to do with PD's default export settings? What bitrate do you export at?

All in all, its a great video, much better than mine. To improve it by much more, i think you're going to have to focus on content and form a serious 'gameplan', as your video quality is already on point.  Maybe you could write a custom soundtrack for the videos? I've been asked that and I think its a laughable amount of effort for noone to notice. But hey, just tossing ideas. Again, looks good, and aside from having to chase down exciting content, I think you'd have to add more cameras and add many more layers to get much better. Well done!

Thanks! 

I think the only difference between your videos and mine has to do with the time devoted to editing them. Editing 4' of video (color correcting, etc.) took me at least 5h...and that's not counting overcapture, which took me 3 days for about 40' of raw footage...
Also, you should have seen my first videos...yours blow them out of the water!

Custom soundtrack....that's probably more work that I'm willing to put into them. Unless...do you know anyone who produces music and loves EUCs? ;)
But I agree, it's a lot of work, and there are plenty of good tunes out there, it's much easier to make the images match the music that custom-make an OST from scratch...(especially if you have zero sound production knowledge) :whistling:

The gameplan is on the table, for now I'm acquainting myself with the tools and developing the skillsets involved (as soon as the hard lockdown is over, I need to learn how to fly my drone!). All depends on how much time I'm willing to devote to this (and how much free time I have). It's been over a month since I recorded the footage in the video above, if that's any indication...

Anyway, thanks a ton for your very helpful feedback! Am looking forward to more videos of your corner of the world (dangling cigarette included)!

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2020 at 6:28 AM, RoadRunner said:

Look at minute 25.42

EUC winglets, looks interesting. :)

https://www.electric-games.org/product/winglet-bixo-1/

Does anyone know a 3D printer in the US that would be willing to make and sell these?  They are sold as a fundraiser for an EUC event, and they are willing to allow someone over here to print them if they give a portion back to them for their event.

28 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Don’t know if you’ve seen it @Marty Backe, wrong way gave a shout out to you in his video for your extra loooong selfiestick. 

It‘s called Marty Bake Style these days. :D

@Marty Backe, soon enough you're going to be world-renowned for your 9-foot pole :efee612b4b:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Don’t know if you’ve seen it @Marty Backe, wrong way gave a shout out to you in his video for your extra loooong selfiestick. 

It‘s called „Marty Bake Style“ these days. :D

I had not seen this. Thanks for the link :thumbup: Good stuff.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, travsformation said:

I finally got round to putting together a video from the footage of my last ride! (recorded March 8th).The video was getting long so I decided to split it up into several shorter videos (more to come soon!)

This was my first proper ride since my shoulder injury, after 2 months of no riding. Exactly one week after I recorded this, hard lockdown was implemented...it's been 35 days since then, I'm going to forget how to ride at this rate! :efee612b4b:

I'm starting to get a feel for the Insta360, picturing shots in my mind so I can position the selfie stick in front, behind, beside or above me while I ride. I'm not too fond of 360 Tiny Planet effects, warping and whatnot (not saying there's anything wrong with them, just a matter of personal preference), and prefer a traditional approach (the 360 as an invisible camera crew following me around), so a lot of work goes into reducing lens distortion and making camera movements as fluid and natural-looking as possible so it isn't (too) obvious it's been recorded with a 360 camera. And I have to say, doing so (and getting it just right---or as much so as possible) makes the overcapture process a ridiculously time-consuming affair. The question being: Is it worth it? I'm actually pretty pleased with the result, but would love your feedback. :)

All constructive criticism is welcome! How about the color-grading? I went for a mostly true-to-life look, mainly just correcting over-exposed and under-exposed shots, making colors a bit punchier (I hope I didn't oversaturate them) and bringing out the greens and oranges, which were a bit washed out in the original footage. How about the pacing? Too many cuts? Not enough? And the camera movements? Too many of them? Still room for improvement? Lacking voice-over commentary (I don't think that's for me...), I tried to keep things changing and dynamic so it would be as engaging as possible, but don't know how good a job I did because it's hard to be objective with a passion project of one's own (and I don't entirely trust my girlfriend's compliments because I know she wanted me to cook dinner) :D

I clearly still have a lot to learn, but I think I'm starting to find my style :)

Thanks for watching/reading! :cheers:

really like it, good job !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Indeed, thanks for your input! :thumbup:

It's the extended selfie stick, just under 9 ft (same one Marty uses). I have to say I'm very impressed with the camera's stabilization, you can imagine how something as long as this (that gets narrower and narrower towards the end) bounces around on a bumpy dirt track:

Those are excellent ideas, just the kind of suggestions I was looking for, THANKS! :cheers:

WOw, thats a big stick. I was hoping my opinions would be seen constructive. I know its nice to get the standard 'looks great', but when Im asking for opinions.. SOMETIMES my pride would rather hear something constructive. I had to order a hero 7 to add to my collection, as I think having multiple camera shots available at one time, COULD give more useable options. Of course its also just an excuse to buy more gadgets. One of these cams will wind up static on my helmet. For good Audio,  I have been contemplating a good standalone audio recorder to put in the helmet, tho Im nearing the point already, where cameras/gadgets may be taking away the pleasure of MY ride. Audio on the gopro is good, IF you plan for it. I seem to have missed a setting, as lately its audio is just wind noise. My first video took days to edit. It seems when you use 'world lock' with gopro, you have to edit TONS of keyframes or the view direction never changes at all, even when i turn around! Hell, theres always an option of mounting it to the wheel too, just havbe to try and see i guess. The gopro selfie with tripod is dandy(1/2 price with insurance, maybe too pricey without). DOnt underestimate how cool it is to have a cam on tripod and ride by it too. I ALMOST ordered the insta360 again, but having 1/ 360 cam already, i figured I'd try a standard cam (30 day return policy anyhow). Helps that my gopros are insured too($100 off atm too), as I"d imagine one or both will eat shit soon.

I usually render in 10mbps bit rate. Uploading in 4k at 40mbps, does end up with MUCH better compression from youtube, but man does it cost you badnwidth. My internet takes about 2-3 hours per gb (or longer) to upload and I'm so limited in bandwidth, that the youtube 40gbps upload takes all my net for the month very easily. My hour long ride took about 10 hrs to upload and used half my net for the month(bonus bytes too). At a mere 10gb during days a month, my hands are somewhat tied. If gopro ever fixes their windows software, MAYBE I'll be able to at least start off with 5.6k (before chopping to shit), instead of the 4k limit the  exporter currently has for 360 windows vid.

I dont know about voice-over. My biased wife says i have a soothing voice, so I may try that sometime soon. Of course, I'm also nutty and say things that could get me hated and in trouble. Some videos I enjoy a voice over and some videos, i turn off the sound. I think that once you add voice over, you are engaging and alienating people, depending on your voice and content. Just have to try and see, Im sure people will let us know if its wretched.

Theres so much free music already out there, making a sound track would have to be a labor of love. I enjoy it, but man is it a lot of work. Perhaps I could be easily persuaded do try if someone had a neat video and asked. Not saying Im any good, but could be fun to try. Telemetry is also another layer of work. SOmetimes I think it helps, other times it probably doesnt. FUn to play with tho. Learining to incorporate 'google earth' into it is yet another layer, but hell it may be more a learning/challenge than enjoyable for the viewer, idk. I find myself wondering WHERE to film now. If nothing else, this filming rides thing will at least provoke me to explore more places. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas AND the video. Looking forwards to seeing more soon. Im also eager to get out in a group of more than 1, as the helmet cam would be much more interesting if it could see someone else of interest.  DOnt forget... everyone likes crash videos :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

:roflmao:

I knew i could count on you.

:cheers: You need to update photo. Marty’s squeezing  something between his legs.:P

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I was hoping my opinions would be seen constructive. I know its nice to get the standard 'looks great', but when Im asking for opinions.. SOMETIMES my pride would rather hear something constructive.

Yeah, thanks for that, I really appreciated your input! Valuable stuff, really!  :cheers:

16 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I had to order a hero 7 to add to my collection, as I think having multiple camera shots available at one time, COULD give more useable options. Of course its also just an excuse to buy more gadgets. One of these cams will wind up static on my helmet.

Hell, theres always an option of mounting it to the wheel too, just havbe to try and see i guess. The gopro selfie with tripod is dandy(1/2 price with insurance, maybe too pricey without). DOnt underestimate how cool it is to have a cam on tripod and ride by it too. I ALMOST ordered the insta360 again, but having 1/ 360 cam already, i figured I'd try a standard cam (30 day return policy anyhow). Helps that my gopros are insured too($100 off atm too), as I"d imagine one or both will eat shit soon.

I bought a Hero7 for the exact same reason. Both for versatility (having several cameras) and because I don't see myself using only the Insta, at times the whole overcapture process can be a bit much, so I fancied a normal action camera too, which will be great to stick on the front of my 4WD, for when travelling in my RV, etc. Also bought a mic adapter, Rodes external mic and corresponding case for good measure:

photo-2020-04-20-14-42-59.jpg

I think you'll be happy with the Hero7, quality is very good (except low-light, which isn't anything to call home about, but to be expected given the size of the sensor on these things). I'm looking forward to trying the hyperlapse mode, which I haven't experimented with yet, and playing around with manual settings. But yeah, more gadgets...(and their respective accessories; sorry if I gave you any ideas with this post. And notice: the above setup is too heavy for on-helmet use) 

I agree about the tripod too; I bought a small portable one, and have the right adaptors so I can use it with the GoPro or the Insta; I haven't taken it on a ride yet, but I can already imagine the awesome shots you can get with a 360 camera on a tripod :D

I wouldn't' advise you to mount the GoPro on the wheel though...I predict a very short lifespan for it if you do (you or anyone)

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

For good Audio,  I have been contemplating a good standalone audio recorder to put in the helmet, tho Im nearing the point already, where cameras/gadgets may be taking away the pleasure of MY ride. Audio on the gopro is good, IF you plan for it. I seem to have missed a setting, as lately its audio is just wind noise.

Yeah, good audio makes a world of difference...with the GoPro you're leagues ahead already. An external lapel mic might be a good idea. I'm going to start off with an old phone, the earbuds that came with it (they have a mic) and a ball of cotton, maybe work my way up from there.

And very good point about the gadgets taking away from the pleasure of riding. I put all my camera gear away for the 2nd half of my last ride because I realized most of my focus was on recording, not on enjoying the actual riding. I've decided make a clear distinction between when I'm recording and when I'm riding. I enjoy both enormously---observing your environment, envisioning shots, swivelling around the selfie to capture what you want to capture, editing in your mind as you go and recording accordingly is a very enjoyable creative process---, but I don't want that to drown the enjoyment of just riding, so I don't plan on recording all my rides, or the entirety of them...gotta stay in the moment, not wait to experience the present later on 'cause it ain't the same thing :efee612b4b:

I usually render in 10mbps bit rate. Uploading in 4k at 40mbps, does end up with MUCH better compression from youtube, but man does it cost you badnwidth. My internet takes about 2-3 hours per gb (or longer) to upload and I'm so limited in bandwidth, that the youtube 40gbps upload takes all my net for the month very easily. My hour long ride took about 10 hrs to upload and used half my net for the month(bonus bytes too). At a mere 10gb during days a month, my hands are somewhat tied. If gopro ever fixes their windows software, MAYBE I'll be able to at least start off with 5.6k (before chopping to shit), instead of the 4k limit the  exporter currently has for 360 windows vid.

For 1080p @ 30 fps that's fine according to Youtube (they recommend 8 Mbps for 1080p), but you will lose a lot of info. I personally render at the camera's native bitrate (I use Mediainfo to check; ask if you have any questions), which on the Insta is 22 Mbps (the bitrate I export overcapture footage in; more than that is pointless), then just upload that to Youtube (fast connection and no monthly cap). If I were in your situation, I'd probably export the video twice: one high-quality, high-bitrate copy for my records (using native resolution and bitrate is less stress on your machine and actually, better render times), and one lower-bitrate copy to upload to Youtube and save bandwidth. I don't know what the equivalent settings are in PowerDirector, but when lowering the bitrate, in Premiere I make sure I check "Render at maximum depth" and "Maximum render quality", then select 2-pass encoding. If I aim for 8 Mbps, I set 8 for target bitrate and around 10-12 for maximum bitrate

I dont know about voice-over. My biased wife says i have a soothing voice, so I may try that sometime soon. Of course, I'm also nutty and say things that could get me hated and in trouble. Some videos I enjoy a voice over and some videos, i turn off the sound. I think that once you add voice over, you are engaging and alienating people, depending on your voice and content. Just have to try and see, Im sure people will let us know if its wretched.

Theres so much free music already out there, making a sound track would have to be a labor of love. I enjoy it, but man is it a lot of work. Perhaps I could be easily persuaded do try if someone had a neat video and asked. Not saying Im any good, but could be fun to try. Telemetry is also another layer of work. SOmetimes I think it helps, other times it probably doesnt. FUn to play with tho. Learining to incorporate 'google earth' into it is yet another layer, but hell it may be more a learning/challenge than enjoyable for the viewer, idk. I find myself wondering WHERE to film now. If nothing else, this filming rides thing will at least provoke me to explore more places. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas AND the video. Looking forwards to seeing more soon. Im also eager to get out in a group of more than 1, as the helmet cam would be much more interesting if it could see someone else of interest.  DOnt forget... everyone likes crash videos :)

Good point about voice-over either engaging or alienating! Same here, there are videos that gain a lot with the added commentary (or wouldn't be worth watching without it), and others where it just doesn't work. I personally enjoy hearing you speak in your videos and see nutty comments are a bonus, but I'm going to refrain from (explicitly) encouraging for in case you get yourself into trouble :P

Sound tracks...yeah, definitely a labour of love. You've got the skills and the tools though, it could be fun to experiment with! If you have the time, patience and enjoy it, go for it!

Google Earth and Relive...yeah....mixed bag there. I almost added an intro to my video, zooming in to the tour with Google Earth, but since it was an afterthought, it messed up my audio sync and I couldn't be bothered to touch a nearly-finished video. But it's definitely something I'd like to experiment with in the future. ZenRyder (not tagging so he doesn't have to put up with my jabbering) has put Relive to good use, I really like the way he's done it, but have yet to finds the energy to try and fit it into a video. But whether it's Relive footage, a snapshot of the tour on euc.world, a few shots of a paper map, or audio commentary, I find giving it "context" makes the video much more engaging.But...learning curve, will, payoff, time...the usual dilemma hehe

Group rides...looking forward to that too! Opens a whole new world of filming possibilities (not to mention interaction with other people while riding hehe). There was finally a group ride in my area that suited me (date, time), but then...coronavirus, lockdown, and here we are, 36 days later.... :crying:

Again, thanks for your feedback! Am happy to help as well with anything I can! When can we expect your next video?

And good point on crash videos... :efee612b4b:

• Like 2