Jump to content
dpong

THE VIDEO THREAD!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

It will, you just need to remove big foam thing at the end.  It will show up in the blindspot since the new camera is so thin.  That is why the new stick looks different.  see picture?  top stick is for new X, bottom stick is for old One.  tip is much bigger.  can't use the old stick with the new camera.

IMG_0094.jpg

Thanks. That's too bad. I hope this new stick you reference is also 9+ feet long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

How's the 9-foot selfie-stick work with my regular action cam ...

 

The main problem with the stabilization on the Sony X3000 is it lacks roll correction. This is quite apparent in this video.

The other issue is the mechanical stabilization doesn't respond to high frequency vibrations well. That's not an issue though with a long selfie sick as it dampens the high frequencies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Here is a new video shooting both in Insta360 ONE (old, 4k) and ONE X (new, 5.7k).  The ONE X look a lot better.  There is also now gone the different coating effect from the different halves.  There is also a noticeable improvement in speed when dealing with post process steps as the file is now transferred to the phone first. 

If you are looking to get this camera, please use this referral link to get a FREE selfie stick.  The old selfie stick will not work with the new thinner body of the new camera.   Shipping was FREE and quick, 2 days from China.  Amazing!

http://bit.ly/2Oe0xAi

Here is a new video I put together this morning:

 

The One X does look like a big improvement in image quality. There's a bit too much flaring around the sun, but at least it's neutral (white), so not too objectionable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. That's too bad. I hope this new stick you reference is also 9+ feet long.

no, the one you get for free is only 4' long.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

The main problem with the stabilization on the Sony X3000 is it lacks roll correction. This is quite apparent in this video.

The other issue is the mechanical stabilization doesn't respond to high frequency vibrations well. That's not an issue though with a long selfie sick as it dampens the high frequencies.

There is a certain disadvantage to too much stabilization, IMHO. For instance, I like to roll the camera into my turns sometimes to better give a sense of action. And when the video is to 'floaty', it detracts from the "action cam video" look. I think the X3000 strikes a great balance. My opinion, not necessarily right or wrong.

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

no, the one you get for free is only 4' long.  

Eh, who wants a 4' stick? I would literally throw it in the garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

There is a certain disadvantage to too much stabilization, IMHO. For instance, I like to roll the camera into my turns sometimes to better give a sense of action. And when the video is to 'floaty', it detracts from the "action cam video" look. I think the X3000 strikes a great balance. My opinion, not necessarily right or wrong.

Eh, who wants a 4' stick? I would literally throw it in the garbage.

Lol, I filmed my new video with the 4' stick.  looks fine to me.  It isn't the extreme drone like footage with the longer stick, but it is still good.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Lol, I filmed my new video with the 4' stick.  looks fine to meIt isn't the extreme drone like footage with the longer stick, but it is still good.  

So say you.

You spoiled me with the drone footage and there's no going back :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

From what I can tell she was not upset at all. 

45366649661_d960cba08b_b.jpg

 

Lol! Yeah, she was scared and perhaps upset at first...until she caught a glimpse of Marty's rear end in those jeans! Then she was in 7th Heaven ?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Lol, I filmed my new video with the 4' stick.  looks fine to me.  It isn't the extreme drone like footage with the longer stick, but it is still good.  

Looks good,... better IMHO. 

The drone-like footage is good for b-roll, effect, or for groups, but in the end, the subject in our videos is ourselves riding an EUC, so better to capture this subject as big as possible in the frame (while still showing off the backdrop).

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Lol! Yeah, she was scared and perhaps upset at first...until she caught a glimpse of Marty's rear end in those jeans! Then she was in 7th Heaven ?

You guys (thanks @Rehab1) are killing me :laughbounce2:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Looks good,... better IMHO. 

The drone-like footage is good for effect, or for groups, but in the end, the subject in our videos is ourselves riding an EUC, so better to capture this subject as big as possible in the frame (while still showing the backdrop).

OK, I'm going back to my 2-foot stick :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

OK, I'm going back to my 2-foot stick :D

LOL.

The great thing I've found about shooting 360 flattened into 2D has been the ability to capture the whole subject (wheel + entire body), which is really hard using a traditional action camera, even with a really long pole.

But also, shooting with the included GoPro Fusion stick, which, fully extended, places the camera at about 2' from the grab handle, I've found too short a pole creates too much fisheye warping for my liking, to get the subject properly in frame. (albeit, extending your arm while holding the ~2' GoPro Fusion stick greatly improves this)

Insta360 might have the golden length here in 4', as I've been theorizing 3' might be the right minimum distance to get the subject fully in frame without this warping, while also giving you a foot on the other side to counter-balance the weightiness you feel the longer a camera pole gets.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

LOL.

The great thing I've found about shooting 360 flattened into 2D has been the ability to capture the whole subject (wheel + entire body), which is really hard using a traditional action camera, even with a really long pole.

But also, shooting with the included GoPro Fusion stick, which, fully extended, places the camera at about 2' from the grab handle, I've found too short a pole creates too much fisheye warping for my liking, to get the subject properly in frame. (albeit, extending your arm while holding the ~2' GoPro Fusion stick greatly improves this)

Insta360 might have the golden length here in 4', as I've been theorizing 3' might be the right distance to get the subject fully and proportionally in frame, while also giving you a foot on the other side to counter-balance the weightiness you feel the longer a camera pole gets.

Looking forward to your experiments :popcorn:

I've actually found that the 9-foot pole works pretty good when holding it at the mid-point. So you have flexibility to shoot close-in or really wide by grabbing at the end of the pole. Probably not too practical in NYC because of all the eyes that you'd be stabbing behind you :)  But for me in the wide open spaces of California, it's looking good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pico said:

Last week training session.

My GF hates the song I chose for her. And she is not happy about the video.

I think she is doing really well.

 

 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

Strong stuff! Impressive!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the Mavic out of mothballs today hopefully to use on our weekend group ride, and thought I should post this as video evidence that winter has *not* actually started yet up here. :ph34r: 

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

How's the 9-foot selfie-stick work with my regular action cam ...

 

Are you on spotify?  I want to steal your EUC playlists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There is a certain disadvantage to too much stabilization, IMHO. For instance, I like to roll the camera into my turns sometimes to better give a sense of action. And when the video is to 'floaty', it detracts from the "action cam video" look. I think the X3000 strikes a great balance. My opinion, not necessarily right or wrong.

I agree. That's one issue with gimbals. They generally have horizon lock that removes all roll. That's different from tilt stabilization though, which allows roll, but removes the roll shake.

I'd be interested in seeing your reaction to the GoPro HERO7 Black. The HyperSmooth stabilization we have in that retains the roll, but stabilizes it. As exemplified by this (over-compressed) MTB video: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I agree. That's one issue with gimbals. They generally have horizon lock that removes all roll. That's different from tilt stabilization though, which allows roll, but removes the roll shake.

I'd be interested in seeing your reaction to the GoPro HERO7 Black. The HyperSmooth stabilization we have in that retains the roll, but stabilizes it. As exemplified by this (over-compressed) MTB video: 

I love these MTB videos. Yes, that HERO7 quality is impressive. Interesting, I'll have to look more closely at the X3000 footage to see the effects of non-roll stabilization that you say it suffers from. I think I wasn't impressed with the previous GoPro stabilization compared to the optical stabilization of the Sony camera, but this version appears equal (if not better as you say).

Too bad the Hero Black still doesn't match the 100mbps bitrate of the Sony. There are real benefits to the higher bit rate.

It's a great time to be buying action cameras. I hope GoPro comes out with a competitor to the Insta360 X (price and most importantly, video processing workflow). Those are the two reasons I didn't buy the Fusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jfree13 said:

Are you on spotify?  I want to steal your EUC playlists.

No, I've never used that service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Got the Mavic out of mothballs today hopefully to use on our weekend group ride, and thought I should post this as video evidence that winter has *not* actually started yet up here. :ph34r: 

I've been thinking of getting a Mavic Pro. Apparently it has a follow me -function. Have you tried that. Can it keep up with EUC speeds of 20-30 km/h and does it work only in wide open spaces or can you use it on semi wide trails as they have obstacle avoidance sensors. I would actually like the drone to fly low ahead of me and shoot backwards toward me and then maybe have it make an occasional 360 around during riding, if space allows.

Edited by Ziiten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Too bad the Hero Black still doesn't match the 100mbps bitrate of the Sony. There are real benefits to the higher bit rate.

It doesn't need the same bitrate! People are confused about this topic.

The HERO7 uses HEVC compression which is about twice as efficient at H.264.

So a 50Mbps HEVC video is as good as a 100Mbps one using the older standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding?wprov=sfti1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...