THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 10/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, houseofjob said:

Thanks for the kind words!

The below, shot by @Citi Wheel, is the best I can find of the micro-pendulum-ing I employ for regular, non-backwards, riding (doesn't help I have a penchant for wearing black trousers! *smh). While it may look like I'm just pumping the brakes here, it's this general idea that I utilize for quick changes in direction / speed; feet+wheel keeps moving in the original direction, while my body shifts back, then quickly to the new directional plane, all in the same instant. 

Doing this, my body vs wheel can do a see-saw / tug-of-war type deal, but the motion does not usually look very dramatic on camera, or else this would just be hard brake pumping.

In general, stealing from my skiing background, your body should always lead the action, with your legs+wheel following in delay. (I swear I'll get to making the technique videos I promised awhile back! to better explain)

Thanks 2x!

To each his own!

I don't like carving for the sake of carving; it's always to dodge obstacles or, of late, to pump the wheel side-to-side in achieving faster and aggressive acceleration.

@Tishawn Fahie still amazes me how well he rides with so little non-EUC, sport background... his arm swings made me re-discover the same for my riding, as this is also tried-and-true ski technique, seeing as your arms are attached to your hips and accentuate hip movement, which is a cornerstone of full & complete turns.

I completly agree with others, your ride style is excellent, but every time I watch your video I get so uncomfortable to watch you ride without helmet/ upper body protection. Is there a reason why you will not put a helmet on? have you fallen at all? but over all A+++

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Thanks!

You mean my wrist guards and elbow guard I wear every time out don't count? :ph34r:

Show me a helmet that is concussion-proof (look up NFL & CTE) where I can hear oncoming traffic and see my blind spots, and I'll give it a try!

Until then.... I use my guards + active limbs (ie. constant hands up, esp. the faster I go), instead of keeping them at my sides like a dead fish.... no one ever seems to mention this... 

That said, I'm not against helmets, but I am puzzled by:

• the lack of stressing importance on defensive-riding tactics that should go alongside helmets (like my arms point above, hand signals, line of sight... defensive street "driving" in general)
  • the inflated sense of confidence that the "all-magical helmet" gives to some riders... if you think I look unsafe, you should see the eboarders here in full gear plus helmet, that do 40mph+ in the middle lane of busy car traffic at night, something I refuse to do.

I know I'll probably get flamed for these comments, but I challenge people to think differently, not just based on the paradigms that have been ingrained in us by public education, which is not infallible (again, not a knock on helmets or the wearing of them).

I was not trying to come out at you or I hope you didn't feel that way, I took a fall at about 48km/h and walkway away almost perfect, but my bike jacket took a scraping. Again, you ride very safe and well. Maybe after seeing many falls and taking one myself I look at this little different. 

Again, not judging you at all, but I have always advocated for more protection.

Edited by yourtoys7
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Thanks!

You mean my wrist guards and elbow guard I wear every time out don't count? :ph34r:

Show me a helmet that is concussion-proof (look up NFL & CTE) where I can hear oncoming traffic and see my blind spots, and I'll give it a try!

Until then.... I use my guards + active limbs (ie. constant hands up, esp. the faster I go), instead of keeping them at my sides like a dead fish.... no one ever seems to mention this... 

That said, I'm not against helmets, but I am puzzled by:

• the lack of stressing importance on defensive-riding tactics that should go alongside helmets (like my arms point above, hand signals, line of sight... defensive street "driving" in general)
  • the inflated sense of confidence that the "all-magical helmet" gives to some riders... if you think I look unsafe, you should see the eboarders here in full gear plus helmet, that do 40mph+ in the middle lane of busy car traffic at night, something I refuse to do.

I know I'll probably get flamed for these comments, but I challenge people to think differently, not just based on the paradigms that have been ingrained in us by public education, which is not infallible (again, not a knock on helmets or the wearing of them).

I think additional safety gear becomes more important as you get older (your perspective on life changes). Enjoy your free-spirited youth while you can (I'm not saying this sarcastically).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

I was not trying to come out at you or I hope you didn't feel that way, I took a fall at about 48km/h and walkway away almost perfect, but my bike jacket took a scraping. Again, you ride very safe and well. Maybe after seeing many falls and taking one myself I look at this little different. 

Again, not judging you at all, but I have always advocated for more protection.

No worries (and sorry!)

I just took your post as a chance to get out something that's been irking me for awhile about this "wear a helmet" culture that always seemed to me half-baked.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I think additional safety gear becomes more important as you get older (your perspective on life changes). Enjoy your free-spirited youth while you can (I'm not saying this sarcastically).

Yes, very aware of this!, I am always observant of those around me, and don't pretend to be any exception to life & aging.

Hopefully I'll still be wheeling or flying when I get there Marty!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I disagree.  I don't have any perspective on life.  I just don't want to get hurt, and realize I'm more vulnerable by leaps and bounds than I used to be.

But I'm still entirely the same idiotic jerk.  Just, and it pains me to say it, notably less cute and adorably forgivable while I'm doing it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Show me a helmet that is concussion-proof (look up NFL & CTE) 

The NFL is currently working on advanced concussion proof helmets. 

31467531348_8e8c5f849d_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, MaiKi said:

Please dont rate it so hard, its my first time.

Never a hard rating for those that take the time to post a video. Very nice footage! So glad you switched hands with the selfie stick as you approached the lady. 

20 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

where do you post info., don't remember seeing anything around here... would love to join you guys next time if I can.

I was visiting from London to NYC, met up with Tishawn and the group. We then drove to Toronto to meet another EUC guy called Jack. It was an impromptu meet up for me. Flew to LA then San Francisco, where no EUC riders reached out to me ?.  Fun as hell trip over all though ??

Edited by Afeez Kay
Additional information for clearity
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Afeez Kay said:

Flew to LA then San Francisco, where no EUC riders reached out to me ?.  Fun as hell trip over all though ??

You could have posted in the Bay Area Facebook group before flying to SF.

Edited by Jon Stern

9 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

Some footage from the last Bay Area EUC ride during Fleet Week. You can see Neil's Z10 in action and it looks fantastic in person, maybe better than the stock version!

Very nice video. May I ask what are the "PEVRA safety signals" that are mentioned in there. I've looked around a bit and I can't seem to find anything about them.