THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

34 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

A few things. It's Rylo. I haven't found a way to stitch in app.

My protective lens is scratched for my Rylo. It is the reason why it looks like that.

I don't think I've ever felt as unwelcome in a community before. I appreciate that a lot thanks. I'm out.

I would offer some encouraging words here, but unfortunately you'll never see them :(

13 hours ago, pico said:

Too bad I am getting old. Now I have to get good with the jumps, re ouch...

Oh, yeah, age definitely doesn't help... learning takes a lot more time and injuries heal a lot slower :) I actually decided to skip jumping tricks for now - too much risk for old bones, and there are still plenty of other tricks to learn and to perfect :)

4 minutes ago, trya said:

The final video from Moscow's EUC competition, September 2018. Thanks to @EcoDrift

I love these competitions, and the fact that there is so much social EUC activity that they can have these EUC Games. For some reason this doesn't seem possible in the United States. I think in general, we're an unsocial bunch :unsure:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trya said:

The final video from Moscow's EUC competition, September 2018. Thanks to @EcoDrift

BTW  non-Russian speakers, be sure to turn on YouTube's auto-translate and select your language. It does a pretty good job of letting you know what people are saying.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I love these competitions, and the fact that there is so much social EUC activity that they can have these EUC Games. For some reason this doesn't seem possible in the United States. I think in general, we're an unsocial bunch :unsure:

I don't think we are less social - group rides in US are as popular as everywhere :) it's a matter of several factors: there are lots of EUC riders in Moscow, there are enthusiasts willing to put their time and energy into organizing the event, there is a company ( @EcoDrift ) willing to become a sponsor. BTW, as far as I know, people from other cities also took part in this event, specifically from St.-Petersburg (400 miles away).  Maybe @Jason McNeil have to think about it :)

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 11:13 AM, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

Have you tried "spinning" with the long selfie stick? It's a really weird feeling as once you get going you have to really fight the air resistance.

Very nice handling of the wheel! I am light-years away from that kind of skill level.

What's that glowing your wearing? I need something like that as well.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW  non-Russian speakers, be sure to turn on YouTube's auto-translate and select your language

Translating closed captioned subtitles on an Android device doesn't work in the desktop display sense of setting it up for translations.

However the following workaround for Android works (for me) for portrait mode video playback with translated cc subtitles in the space below.

Steps:

1-install the YouTube app from the Google Play Store

2-install the 'app ccTube' from the Google Play Store.

ccTube

3-Open to video to translate with the YouTube app

4-Share the YouTube video link to the 'ccTube' app (shown farther down on my display)

Share the link with the 'ccTube' app (shown farther down on my display

Say no to any suggested additional app download in the screen that may follow.

5-for a few moments 'ccTube' pre-translates the cc subtitles for display in the space below the video when viewed in portrait mode.

6-Start the video (the lower highlighted text is current translation text relative to the video playback)

Translated 'cc subtitles' video display

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, who_the said:

360 cameras, Rylo in particular, are prone to lens scratches which unfortunately do impair quality. Rylo does offer a protection program that replaces scratched lenses, but it ain't free.

I like to recommend the Garmin Virb 360, not just because of its awesome on-board telemetry, stabilization, and stitching, but because the Virb 360 uses easily replaceable lens covers that cost just $35.

A big chopped hand (or "lobster claw") is usually a symptom of holding the camera directly in your hand, or without an appropriate extender. 360 cameras really demand some degree of extension from the capture source. In other words, a pole, or, pejoratively, a "selfie stick." Yes they look silly, and yes they are banned in many places, but the degrees to which they make 360 video (or, 360 capture mastered into "flat" video) watchable and interesting is impossible to overstate.

I never got to see the video or @outcast00096's other posts since it seems they have deleted them. I did see the commentary from other users, which was critical, but hardly hateful or vitriolic. Evidently a bit harsh to the OP's ears, which is too bad, especially since the OP seems to acknowledge they are still figuring out how to use the camera.

Criticism, actually, is a valuable gift. Be thankful for the person who tells you your fly is open, your breath is bad, or your work could use improvement. You might not know otherwise and, no matter how badly it might make you feel, criticism is something you can act upon and improve yourself. And we should all want to do that in some way. If you think you are perfect, with no room for improvement, and can't accept criticism (even when it is harshly delivered) or use it to your advantage, then you're stuck where you are, mired in your own ego and stubbornness.

Mostly electric skateboards depicted here, but camera operator (me) is on an EUC. :) 

Yeah, today I was going to look at his video, but it's been removed. Some people are way to sensitive. Hopefully he's young guy and will grow to become more tolerant.

Nice video even though your choreography skills kind of suck ;)

:lol:

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, who_the said:

360 cameras, Rylo in particular, are prone to lens scratches which unfortunately do impair quality. Rylo does offer a protection program that replaces scratched lenses, but it ain't free.

I like to recommend the Garmin Virb 360, not just because of its awesome on-board telemetry, stabilization, and stitching, but because the Virb 360 uses easily replaceable lens covers that cost just $35.

A big chopped hand (or "lobster claw") is usually a symptom of holding the camera directly in your hand, or without an appropriate extender. 360 cameras really demand some degree of extension from the capture source. In other words, a pole, or, pejoratively, a "selfie stick." Yes they look silly, and yes they are banned in many places, but the degrees to which they make 360 video (or, 360 capture mastered into "flat" video) watchable and interesting is impossible to overstate.

I never got to see the video or @outcast00096's other posts since it seems they have deleted them. I did see the commentary from other users, which was critical, but hardly hateful or vitriolic. Evidently a bit harsh to the OP's ears, which is too bad, especially since the OP seems to acknowledge they are still figuring out how to use the camera.

Criticism, actually, is a valuable gift. Be thankful for the person who tells you your fly is open, your breath is bad, or your work could use improvement. You might not know otherwise and, no matter how badly it might make you feel, criticism is something you can act upon and improve yourself. And we should all want to do that in some way. If you think you are perfect, with no room for improvement, and can't accept criticism (even when it is harshly delivered) or use it to your advantage, then you're stuck where you are, mired in your own ego and stubbornness.

Mostly electric skateboards depicted here, but camera operator (me) is on an EUC. :) 

Wow, nicely put.  Wise words.  Though looking back, my criticism wasn't too constructive I've got to admit.  Should have offered some solution instead of just bitching. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, who_the said:

That's interesting. I presume they used a soft glass material for the first element. That's a mistake.

41 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Should have offered some solution instead of just bitching. 

Having been on the other end of criticism from time to time :( it can be disheartening to have the awesome product of your labor (seemingly) ridiculed. My suggestion would be not to provide criticism of peoples efforts unless they ask for it. If I thought someone was producing rotten but well-intentioned content, I would just refrain from commenting at all.

That said, quitting is almost always the wrong way to go, and deleting all of one's videos seems like an over-reaction.

(In case @outcast00096 returns to and reads this, I appear to have liked your videos... I wish I could see them to remind me what they were.)

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, trya said:

I don't think we are less social - group rides in US are as popular as everywhere :) it's a matter of several factors: there are lots of EUC riders in Moscow, there are enthusiasts willing to put their time and energy into organizing the event, there is a company ( @EcoDrift ) willing to become a sponsor. BTW, as far as I know, people from other cities also took part in this event, specifically from St.-Petersburg (400 miles away).  Maybe @Jason McNeil have to think about it :)

The EUC Forum had a great video competition in 2016 where both I and Jason organized and funded it. Organizing another event could  be accomplished but for those that remember the 2016 event politics became a huge burden throughout the entire contest. It’s a shame a few members spoiled it for others. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I try to compliment everyone that takes the time to post a video on the forum. Why not just PM a member if you want to share some editing knowledge. Why be critical of a member's work in public?

I am willing to bet that there are dozens of members that would love to share their work but are concerned what others may think. Some seasoned members may forget that they were neophytes on this forum at one time.

Sorry but I had to get this off my chest.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, you seemed to quote me, but that was @who_the which you were quoting.

You are always a gentleman. And yes I agree with your proverb. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 5:26 PM, outcast00096 said:

Somewhere hidden in this box lies a great video! I’ll just wait for it’s return. :popcorn: rehab1

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, who_the said:

In the video, I noticed that you stopped at the Stop sign, which was great.  At the same time, I also saw an e-skater just zoom across the Stop sign without even stopping.  There was a car that was about to go straight but had to wait for that skater to go across.  That was dangerous.

Edited by SanDiegoGuy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

In the video, I noticed that you stopped at the Stop sign, which was great.  At the same time, I also saw an e-skater just zoom across the Stop sign without even stopping.  There was a car that was about to go straight but had to wait for that skater to go across.  That was dangerous.

Yeah, that skater was being a bit too risky - assuming that the driver of the car would see him. I always assume that they don't see me, so I would have done what Jesse  did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Yes it was, and I wouldn't choose to ride like that, as you see. I included a "trigger warning" ;) in the YouTube description that there was indeed a traffic violation in the video.

10 hours ago, who_the said:

A big chopped hand (or "lobster claw") .

Does your board crew live in an area where they are allowed to take up and impede two lanes of traffic or is everyone’s board rigged to go the posted speed limit?

If we did that in Chicago the cops would be all over us, if the drivers didn’t run us off the road first.  I’m always in a bike lane or far enough to the side where motorists can pass comfortably. Riding in the middle of the road is scary, drivers rage too easily.