THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:
  • Drone has limited flight time
  • Drone works great if you're doing circles on a basketball court. Not so much if you're riding trails in the mountains or city
  • Drones take a lot more effort to use. You have to hold a controller and you're always looking at the drone to see if it's following you. The video you referenced is a classic example - he's always looking over his shoulder at the drone to see how it's working.
  • A drone would never be able to follow me in all the places I ride.

I'm new to this drone stuff and went under light pressure (humorous) from anxious hoopsters who ultimately walked on to the court and started to play.

1- This drone can stay up for 10-15 minutes per battery. The average cut and polished video runs 1 to 4 minutes. 

2-I was doing circles and looking back to 'see' if the tracking would follow quickly while turning and to check that it's enabled forward obstacle avoidance was working on the simplest level of avoifing a fence surrounding the court.

Air space regulations are clear to follow. Looking up at a big jet doing an approach turn to the Boston airport is sobering while in even class B restricted airspace. Check this app out for a look at controlled airspace (AirMap app) or

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

Riding trails (this guy on a bike with a Yuneec Breeze is really good)

3-It's cumbersome to transport the controller/drone (fits in a backpack) and add the propeller guards onsite to take off from ground with the controller-drone-android-device all synced in wifi...but..this drone can also liftoff and land from one's palm (look out fingers) with just the app running on my Android phone.

The Spark controller has a good tactile feel within wifi range and the app display provides useful information while taking pano's aloft

DJI display

4-a drones ability to go aloft where the pilot cannot is part if the fun/responsibility. This drone has a sport mode switch which changes the max forward speed from about 6.5 mph to 25 mph. I lined up the drone and was headed for the trees before stopping and reversing. FPV is a possibility but LOD (line of sight) flying is my interest.

Spark speed in Sport mode

The drone has a super slow speed which retains obstacle avoidance. This reviewer makes some interesting points while walking the Spark through the woods

Most of all the drone is about flying and not EUC riding. Other than a niche interest in following electric unicycles the Insta360 shines in constant, close, controlled by hand footage plus post ride software tracking with gobs of editable video. 

My Monster has some wicked big shell cracks where the plastic case bolts to the aluminum pedal posts. The steering is affected by increased flex around the shell cracks. New shells from Jason arrive by FedEx on Friday so once reassembled a return to longer distance EUC rides will be possible again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Thanks for the kind words!

The below, shot by @Citi Wheel, is the best I can find of the micro-pendulum-ing I employ for regular, non-backwards, riding (doesn't help I have a penchant for wearing black trousers! *smh). While it may look like I'm just pumping the brakes here, it's this general idea that I utilize for quick changes in direction / speed; feet+wheel keeps moving in the original direction, while my body shifts back, then quickly to the new directional plane, all in the same instant. 

Doing this, my body vs wheel can do a see-saw / tug-of-war type deal, but the motion does not usually look very dramatic on camera, or else this would just be hard brake pumping.

In general, stealing from my skiing background, your body should always lead the action, with your legs+wheel following in delay. (I swear I'll get to making the technique videos I promised awhile back! to better explain)

This makes sense, i thought you must of meant a true pendulum motion as opposed to carving side to side - but i couldn't be sure as it is much less pronounced than i suppose i was imagining.  Its funny, i ride the Mini Pro in a similar manner when not just riding smooth or easy terrain.  It sort of made sense to me when i was learning to ride and do a quick stop, and its like digging in on a snowboard to come to a quick stop.  You let your body determine the position of your legs and device rather than the other way around just as you describe. Since that revelation, i have employed the technique in how i ride generally with a much more nimble and confident result (also feels more dynamic and therefore fun i think). 

As i am waiting for my EUC and am trying to glean as much info as i can, i often wonder what the similarities will be in these regards (i have read a lot, but will be interesting to see myself you know).

Thanks 2x!

To each his own!

Couldn't agree more.  I have watched so many videos now, its great seeing all the styles and what works for people, i have learned a lot simply by watching!

I don't like carving for the sake of carving; it's always to dodge obstacles or, of late, to pump the wheel side-to-side in achieving faster and aggressive acceleration.

I tend to carve simply for the fact it feels like im going faster, which is important on the impotent Mini Pro..  It is kind of fun, but i imagine with more speed my reasoning of needing to carve will diminish anyway :D

@Tishawn Fahie still amazes me how well he rides with so little non-EUC, sport background... his arm swings made me re-discover the same for my riding, as this is also tried-and-true ski technique, seeing as your arms are attached to your hips and accentuate hip movement, which is a cornerstone of full & complete turns.

Tishawns video prowess (need more EUC videos though!), and the size of his balls, amazes me! I am sure some of it is NYC drivers being more accustomed to sharing their roads with others, but i often find myself thinking daaaaamn son! :o In Auckland the bus drivers are murderous bastards (ive been taken out by a bus while walking thou so might be a little bitter towards them..), and the car drivers are like me, impatient wankers :lol: so some of his moves give me the shits! (yours too honestly :lol:) Its the traffic!!

Edited by Alex_from_NZ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

In Auckland the bus drivers are murderous bastards (ive been taken out by a bus while walking thou so might be a little bitter towards them..), and the car drivers are like me, impatient wankers :lol: so some of his moves give me the shits! (yours too honestly :lol:) Its the traffic!!

Edited 2 hours ago by Alex_from_NZ

Yeah, you gotta watch out for them Aucks Dorks! :D

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The video you referenced is a classic example - he's always looking over his shoulder at the drone to see how it's working.

I'm a drone newbie. It's amazing looking at drone pictures from the tiny onboard Spark camera. The whole drone weighs just 300 grams.

I wrote a text message to Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (skiing, Tetons, Wyoming) about droning atop their resort.

http://www.jacksonhole.com

They responded! Experience and a UAV license has it's privilege.

"Hi Robert,

Thank you for your message. We have a staff member with their drone licence who is able to fly within our special use permit."

With all due respect to your consistent and impressive choices for video clarity from small low weight cameras (GoPro Hero Session, Insta360, Sony FDRX3000) the quality of the airborne commercial drone camera (onboard Hasselblad , maybe a gimbal mounted 35 mm dslr) affects the appeal of the end result so...fly big (drones) if your licensed to do so?

Getting back to your EUC choices, my last tumble following a pedal break reminds me that my 'Triple Threat' elbow pads were just big enough. 2-3x larger plastic impact elbow guards would have been better since falling on the elbow is not a pre-planned , land just here on the pad event. Bigger  (pads) would be better.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

5 minutes ago, Alien Rides said:

The AlienRides & William Jordan collaboration is here! Check out this insane footage of William Jordan getting insane air on the monster. Let me know what you think, more to come if you all like it.

excellent ???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alien Rides said:

The AlienRides & William Jordan collaboration is here! Check out this insane footage of William Jordan getting insane air on the monster. Let me know what you think, more to come if you all like it.

Nice skillz! Also nice red-white paint job on the first Monster.

Is wheel #2 a MAX?

Anyone considering getting the Insta360 Pro 2 ?

It is about $5,000 but the vdeo quality is pretty good.  Not sure how long you can hold it out while riding the EUC since it is heavier than the One X  It also would not be wise to drop that camera.

The good thing about it is you can use it for other type of video recordings.

I am not sure if my wife would be in agreement for me to get the Insta360 Pro 2.  Maybe for vacation shooting but not so much for EUC riding shooting.

protwo1b.jpg

16 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Anyone considering getting the Insta360 Pro 2 ?

It is about $5,000 but the vdeo quality is pretty good.  Not sure how long you can hold it out while riding the EUC since it is heavier than the One X  It also would not be wise to drop that camera.

The good thing about it is you can use it for other type of video recordings.

I am not sure if my wife would be in agreement for me to get the Insta360 Pro 2.  Maybe for vacation shooting but not so much for EUC riding shooting.

protwo1b.jpg

The Pro 2 is not a portable solution (weighs over 3-pounds). It's professional equipment requiring professional level gear to move it around.

Love the video quality though.

25 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Wow, no safety gears at the end when he rides fast.  Scary.....

Might change once first big drop occur, did for me at least and keep re evaluating my view on protection, ok never dropped from 50km/h yet but if that happen I want to be like the Michelin man to at least try to minimize the damages as much as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

I believe it's just a crazy MSuper, but will find out. Not my wheel, and not sure if William is on these forums.

Wil is on the forum, as @Williepimpin

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 12:38 PM, Edddeus said:

Speedyfeet- Jon chooses a new wheel, Part 2

V10 vs MSX 

With respect to the trolley handle on the V10/V10F...flip the vehicle around so that the handle is arcing away from you rather than towards you. It is then very easy to move about.

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I regularly ride my 18L at 40-50 km/h... But with all the right gear on! I tried it once wearing "normal" shoes instead of boots, and even that gave me the shits!

Fast is fine, but only if both you and your wheel are prepared for it!!!

Well said, could not agree more and put some wight on exactly that, fast is fine if wheel and me both prepared for it.

It is indeed different than cruising slowly along, everything in slow mo giving you lots of time to see and react, senses need to be in a different mode moving along fast and of course no one sane will go 50km/h on bike/pedestrian lanes when occupied with lots of people. I am not perfect and I do go too fast at times, even at the lanes that is trafficked but only with good visibility far ahead + to the sides of course, periphery and soon as I see people ahead I respect them and know full well how angry I would be if unexpected someone blew past me close at 40-50 or 30km/h.

1 hour ago, Simon Feenan Vans-Colina said:

Another Fusion 360 video.. This thing is freaking great.. 

The location is the newly opened southern Thames path from Cutty Sark to the Thames barrier. It's EUC heaven. No one there, miles and miles of intersting shore side riding.

Very cool, it's amazing how cameras moved forward technologically last few years and the software handling them, still some way to go but I bet it will happen fast and prices high in the beginning will come down or so I hope. :D

19 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

That was awesome! :thumbup:

I don't think anything would get my blood pumping quite like trying some of those jumps! It looks like you really pushed your machines a few times. At least once in the video I saw the wheel tilt forward hard when you landed, like it was going to cave and drop you xD

Also, I know that can't have been the only time you ate it... How many times did the poor wheels hit the ground on something other than their tires? ;)

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Arbolest said:

That was awesome! :thumbup:

I don't think anything would get my blood pumping quite like trying some of those jumps! It looks like you really pushed your machines a few times. At least once in the video I saw the wheel tilt forward hard when you landed, like it was going to cave and drop you xD 

Also, I know that can't have been the only time you ate it... How many times did the poor wheels hit the ground on something other than their tires? ;)

I think in this case William is too good to have fallen more than once! Why is it that everyone always wants to see the crashes more than the actual successes ????

• Like 2