THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

9 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Regarding the KingSong battery life..  I had switched from the standard KingSong charger to the quick charger and started limiting my charges to 90%. I too was suddenly disappointed by my mileage and was wondering what had happened.  It finally dawned on me to try changing back to the original KingSong charger. I got my mileage back. I’m sure it’s all in their algorithms and process.. but I now get about 15 miles before it ever comes off of 100%.  Not going back to the quick charger..  going to charge it as intended and enjoy the extra miles!

That's still not going to magically turn a 1000wh wheel install the 1600wh MSuper, which is what I was referring to here.

Of course I have no idea what the 18L range will be until I get mine.

21 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

My Student got a little more wheel time. 

He has 10 to 15 miles under his belt now. 

Better than I was after 3-miles

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Wow!

Must be pretty tiring to ride in there too, as the surface is never really flat.

The slipperiness is the hard part, because there are patches that look like normal dirt, but are super slippery. The round tunnels were a bit hard, but a lot of fun, if you go too high the sides scrape though, so it's a bit tricky.

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's still not going to magically turn a 1000wh wheel install the 1600wh MSuper, which is what I was referring to here.

Of course I have no idea what the 18L range will be until I get mine.

Wasn’t expecting magic Marty. Was simply relaying my experience for you and others that have mentioned the KingSong range was oddly low. I think this is one main reason why. Therefore I suggest using the KingSong charger.  

21 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

My Student got a little more wheel time. 

He has 10 to 15 miles under his belt now. 

Your student appears very comfortable riding. How many hours before he can solo? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Regarding the KingSong battery life..  I had switched from the standard KingSong charger to the quick charger and started limiting my charges to 90%. I too was suddenly disappointed by my mileage and was wondering what had happened.  

Yet you blame the quick charger for the shorter range. Why is that?

A few key points on how all our li-ion chargers work:

1. First they charge at the charger’s maximum current (1.5 - 8A), and when the charge gets closer to maximum, the current gets lower and slower.
  2. Fast chargers slow down as well, and became slow chargers roughly at around 95%.

That’s why there is very little to no difference wether you use a standard or a fast charger for the last 10%.

Also, if you stop a fast charge at 90%, the charge will be perhaps 85% once the battery stabilizes.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I don't think this was posted here yet, from Ride the Glide Canada.  The charger had the wrong (Chinese) wall plug, but on Ninebot chargers you can use any computer cord from the wall the the charger.  Good side view of the tire showing how little sidewall there is, the tread wraps almost all the way to the rim.

yaay, i’m glad it comes without the trolley handle installed.

i like the looks of it nekkid.

15 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Your student appears very comfortable riding. How many hours before he can solo? 

There is no way to come up with that number.. I had him train in my hallway. Since we live so far apart, he is usually at my house 2 or 3 times a year for a few days. It took him a year to learn. ? 

I would guess that he probably did 10 hours in my hallway over 3 visits..

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yet you blame the quick charger for the shorter range. Why is that?

A few key points on how all our li-ion chargers work:

1. First they charge at the charger’s maximum current (1.5 - 8A), and when the charge gets closer to maximum, the current gets lower and slower.
  2. Fast chargers slow down as well, and became slow chargers roughly at around 95%.

That’s why there is very little to no difference wether you use a standard or a fast charger for the last 10%.

Also, if you stop a fast charge at 90%, the charge will be perhaps 85% once the battery stabilizes.

No. You don’t understand my premise. I am not “blaming” the quick charger. I am saying that it seems like KingSongs charging algorithms may be different.  An analogy would be circa 1990’s Chevy pickups, where you fill the gas tank, and for about 50% of your usable mileage the needle never moves off of full, then when it finally does, the needle falls quickly.  There is nothing “wrong” with the quick charger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoinPostal said:

No. You don’t understand my premise. I am not “blaming” the quick charger. I am saying that it seems like KingSongs charging algorithms may be different.  An analogy would be circa 1990’s Chevy pickups, where you fill the gas tank, and for about 50% of your usable mileage the needle never moves off of full, then when it finally does, the needle falls quickly.  There is nothing “wrong” with the quick charger. 

Thanks for explaining, I did seem to misunderstand. The voltage drop available for riding is about 17-19 volts, and it is true that it doesn’t consume linearly. So it’s up to the manufacturer to decide which voltage is which percent in the app. KingSong has even changed their battery percent calibration twice during the last year.

One more question then, why not use the quick charger? I know I could never go back to charging slowly with a regular 2A charger.

3 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

charging algorithms may be different.

yeah it’s like my problems with my 18s and 16s. finally got the 16s to read 100% after reflashing the wheel but the 18s still only reads 94% on a full charge up from 90%. 

it doesn’t matter to me except it would make it harder to sell the wheel with what might be just a false reading of the charge by the wheel.

kingsong has no idea why it’s doing that, btw.

3 hours ago, maltocs said:

Was on a weekend Father's Day camping trip to Lake Silverwood in Hesperia CA. I decided to sacrifice the fairly clean MTen3 for the cause and taught a 10 year old and my 5 year old how to ride. The ten year old has hooverboard experience. After about 20 minutes of me spotting her, she was riding on her own. She was mounting, dismounting, turning, and then going faster than I'd let her with no protection. My 5 year old still can't get on and off, but is well on his way to being my riding partner. I need to get the Gotway app to sync up so i can speed limit the MTen3. @Sketch, thanks!

Very nice. Maybe you should get the Luffy for Brandon? Much less powerful (and maybe safer) than the Mten3, yet for his size, still plenty powerful and safe.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice. Maybe you should get the Luffy for Brandon? Must less powerful (and maybe safer) than the Mten3, yet for his size, still plenty powerful and safe.

I was thinking about the Luffy also, but figured I can speed limit the mten3 it would be the same thing with way better battery life, no? I never could get the gotway app connected probably because I'm using an old play store version. There IS a speed limiter with the app, correct? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I was thinking about the Luffy also, but figured I can speed limit the mten3 it would be the same thing with way better battery life, no? I never could get the gotway app connected probably because I'm using an old play store version. There IS a speed limiter with the app, correct? 

Yes, you can enable tilt-back at 3-kmph if you want, and it's very effective. When I get a new wheel I always set the tilt-back really low so I can feel how that particular wheel implements the tilt-back. Then I turn it off :D

At his size/weight, a 130wh battery would probably take him 50-miles :lol: You on the Mten3 and him on the Luffy - great father and son imagery right there :thumbup:

P.S. I think the Luffy is a smaller wheel too, which also might be more comfy for him?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, you can enable tilt-back at 3-kmph if you want, and it's very effective. When I get a new wheel I always set the tilt-back really low so I can feel how that particular wheel implements the tilt-back. Then I turn it off :D

At his size/weight, a 130wh battery would probably take him 50-miles :lol: You on the Mten3 and him on the Luffy - great father and son imagery right there :thumbup:

P.S. I think the Luffy is a smaller wheel too, which also might be more comfy for him?

I think you're missing the whole point of me having the son in the first place, so he can have my hand me downs giving me an excuse to buy new toys! But yes, safety first. Now if I can only get Gotway to sponsor the father son combination with an MCM5, now THAT's imagery!

• Like 1