THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

51 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Overlean, not a cut-out. 

I watched that video 20 times.  I think you are correct.  He had plenty of time to put his arms out.  He even got his foot out front.

52 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Overlean, not a cut-out. 

Is "cut-out" frowned upon? Basically the wheel was asked to do something it couldn't so it shuts down for one reason or another (blown mosfet, burned connector, melted wire etc). In theory a wheel with infinite power would never cutout (it would be impossible to overlean).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Evel_Knievel said:

Is "cut-out" frowned upon? Basically the wheel was asked to do something it couldn't so it shuts down for one reason or another (blown mosfet, burned connector, melted wire etc). In theory a wheel with infinite power would never cutout (it would be impossible to overlean).

I can't speak for anyone else, but I frown upon them :D

• Like 2

i was just posting this as a psa. i have no animus towards gotway, i’ll probably never ride one because i doubt i’ll buy one. i repeat, my euc knowledge is limited to the only ones i’ve ever seen, and those are the ones i’ve bought. 

plus i’m sure something like this could happpen or has happened with any wheel. like i’ve said before, liter bikes aren’t dangerous, the mindset of people buying liter bikes is what causes deaths. i think this is partly gotway’s dilemma. people choose gotway for it’s performance because the thrill is worth the risk in their minds. 

i would like to have seen what the aftermath of this persons fall was like. looked like he rolled pretty well.

if it makes people slow down a little, probably a good thing. 

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

old 67-volt MSuper

has this video been around awhile? i’m just curious how u know what model it is? my cursory research revealed nothing.

hell, i just learned last night in the bizarro world of bicycles and euc’s, they measure the outside diameter of the tire and not the rim size.

That sucked. I only like the ones where you can see the guy in full view and speculate on what happened. 

Eta - That curb totally looks like a telephone pole shadow or something. How tricky. 

Edited by kasenutty
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Evel_Knievel said:

It's leaning at 45 degrees. It has stopped balancing.

I too frown upon cutouts (I thought that was funny!)

That is not an indicator of a cutoff. If the motor has reached max speed (zero remaining torque) and it has a human leaning forward on the pedals then it will tilt forward despite still driving forward as hard as it can. It is likely it didn't cut out it just reached max speed and was therefore unable to continue to balance the rider who's CoG is ahead of the wheel as it could no longer accelerate back under him (as it is at max speed). This is suggested by the fact the rider was able to step forward off the wheel. Even though the pedals are tilted they still provided somewhat of a platform from which to jump. In a cutout the pedals become utterly useless as a medium from which to aid your escape and usually results in a true faceplant where you rotate around your ankles and eat it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

That is not an indicator of a cutoff. If the motor has reached max speed (zero remaining torque) and it has a human leaning forward on the pedals then it will tilt forward despite still driving forward as hard as it can. It is likely it didn't cut out it just reached max speed and was therefore unable to continue to balance the rider who's CoG is ahead of the wheel as it could no longer accelerate back under him (as it is at max speed). This is suggested by the fact the rider was able to step forward off the wheel. Even though the pedals are tilted they still provided somewhat of a platform from which to jump. In a cutout the pedals become utterly useless as a medium from which to aid your escape and usually results in a true faceplant where you rotate around your ankles and eat it.

I could be wrong. Regardless of whether you call it a cutout, overlean, faceplant or max speed...he asked the wheel to do something it couldn't do and the result is the same. There is no audio on the video but I would hope that it was alarming like hyperactive smoke detector and he just ignored the warnings...??? Anyone know.

Edited by Evel_Knievel
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

has this video been around awhile? i’m just curious how u know what model it is? my cursory research revealed nothing.

hell, i just learned last night in the bizarro world of bicycles and euc’s, they measure the outside diameter of the tire and not the rim size.

Because the guy that crashed in the video said that he was riding an old MSuper. He's currently riding Tesla.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

That is not an indicator of a cutoff. If the motor has reached max speed (zero remaining torque) and it has a human leaning forward on the pedals then it will tilt forward despite still driving forward as hard as it can. It is likely it didn't cut out it just reached max speed and was therefore unable to continue to balance the rider who's CoG is ahead of the wheel as it could no longer accelerate back under him (as it is at max speed). 

Does a wheel that you overlean just fall over? Doesn't the wheel detect that you actually require too much power to balance and thereby cut out? I don't think there is a difference between an overlean and a cut out, well, I think that an overlean causes a cutout, the same way riding over a too big bump at too high of a speed also causes cutout because it's basically the same principle. You need X power to do it, X is bigger than max torque and boom, cut out.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Because the guy that crashed in the video said that he was riding an old MSuper. He's currently riding Tesla.

do u know this guy? 

how bad was his injuries?

did he blame the wheel or himself?

was it overlean or a cutoff?

inquiring minds wanna know.