THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

2 hours ago, who_the said:

Dialing in some new 360 video hardware (Xiaomi Mijia Sphere 360) and thought I'd share yesterday's ride from Mission Dolores down Market Street in San Francisco.

These 360 video do look cool. Interesting mounting point - guess you didn't want anybody looking at your mug huh :D

Funny how you kept leaving your wife if the dust, having to do double-duty to catch up with you :) Do you guys use a two-way radio to communicate?

I've been having a hard time getting a good mounting point for my mirror on my new helmet. I think the problem is that the helmet is much bigger than a bicycle helmet, so the mirror is further from the eyes. So far I've been orientating the mirror vertically like your work. When I orient it like you do, I can't really see anything behind me. You can though? Or do you have to turn your head to use the mirror to see behind?

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been having a hard time getting a good mounting point for my mirror on my new helmet. I think the problem is that the helmet is much bigger than a bicycle helmet, so the mirror is further from the eyes. So far I've been orientating the mirror vertically like your work. When I orient it like you do, I can't really see anything behind me. You can though? Or do you have to turn your head to use the mirror to see behind?

Hey Marty, I use this 2" mirror from Harbor freight. Its $2 and you can glue or velcroe it in place. Its adjustable and has the best wide angle to magnification in any I have tried so far.

image.jpg

35 minutes ago, who_the said:

we are not allowed on sidewalks in San Francisco

We're not allowed to ride ANYWHERE here in good ol' Blighty.  So we're always breaking the law. We're all outlaws here.:ph34r: But honestly, if I had to ride on the street, ONLY, I wouldn't ride here at all. Seriously!  I'm really not comfortable putting my life in the hands of every idiot out there sitting behind a steering wheel.  And I don't like the idea of riding fast enough to keep up with the traffic, especially as my wheel can't do 30 mph, and the roads are just rough enough to make a face plant a daily occurrence at those speeds. Yes there are bike lanes here and there, but they start and stop sporadically, so you get dumped into the traffic sooner or later (hopefully not literally)

Maybe I'd feel better once I attach my mirror to my helmet (both bought weeks ago).  One does feel like a bit of a pratt getting all togged up in motorcycle gear to run up to the shops for some milk and a loaf of bread.  I actually walked it earlier today (collective gasp), as rigging up was just too much trouble.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Smoother said:

One does feel like a bit of a pratt getting all togged up in motorcycle gear to run up to the shops for some milk and a loaf of bread.

Totally agree. For short trips around the neighborhood I'll use my V8 or IPS Zero with just gloves, either no helmet or a smaller one. I'll forego a helmet but never, ever, will I ride without gloves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

We're not allowed to ride ANYWHERE here in good ol' Blighty.  So we're always breaking the law. We're all outlaws here.:ph34r: But honestly, if I had to ride on the street, ONLY, I wouldn't ride here at all. Seriously!  I'm really not comfortable putting my life in the hands of every idiot out there sitting behind a steering wheel.  And I don't like the idea of riding fast enough to keep up with the traffic, especially as my wheel can't do 30 mph, and the roads are just rough enough to make a face plant a daily occurrence at those speeds. Yes there are bike lanes here and there, but they start and stop sporadically, so you get dumped into the traffic sooner or later (hopefully not literally)

Maybe I'd feel better once I attach my mirror to my helmet (both bought weeks ago).  One does feel like a bit of a pratt getting all togged up in motorcycle gear to run up to the shops for some milk and a loaf of bread.  I actually walked it earlier today (collective gasp), as rigging up was just too much trouble.

That's interesting... Here the law doesn't yet "recognise" EUC (as the law is older than the technology). And at the moment we have to ride on the sidewalk (where rules are more vague).

But given the choice, I would rather ride on the road than the sidewalk - what with the shiitty quality, constant ups and downs of driveways, and cars reversing across my path without looking... Being where the cyclists are (on the road) would be much better.

Currently I don't legally need to wear any protection (as I am on the sidewalk), But I would trade that for a mandated helmet if it meant I was allowed to ride on the hallowed and beautiful tar-seal next to me!!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I just watched this wearing a VR headset... Being able to look around as you rode was fantastic - it really took me back to my last SF visit.

Thank you! Headset viewing really optimizes the experience. The headsets are so inexpensive (less than $20), it's a shame it hasn't caught on more than it has. I've been shooting 360-degree photos and video for 20 years, and what we can do today was an impossible dream even 5 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

There was a funny diamond thing following me though - And then I looked down, only to find out I was sitting on a Golden Egg! Too trippy...

Yes, so for the first few minutes, my mount had actually "slipped" down so the mount ("egg") was behind the camera. Should be underneath for minimal intrusion. Still getting the rig to my liking.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, who_the said:

Thank you! Headset viewing really optimizes the experience. The headsets are so inexpensive (less than $20), it's a shame it hasn't caught on more than it has. I've been shooting 360-degree photos and video for 20 years, and what we can do today was an impossible dream even 5 years ago.

I'll be viewing this with my Vive when I get chance. Quality video on my phone. Will be very cool in VR.

I discovered that twisting your phone rotates the video view in 360 degree videos. I had no idea it did that! Very cool.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:57 AM, Stan Onymous said:

Hey Marty, I use this 2" mirror from Harbor freight. Its $2 and you can glue or velcroe it in place. Its adjustable and has the best wide angle to magnification in any I have tried so far.

image.jpg

Thanks Bill. I think I'm going to grab one of those in addition to my helmet mirror. You can never have too much situational awareness.:thumbup:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

While I was at CES, I came across a full face helmet with a built in wide-angle back camera that projects the video feed directly in front of you slightly above your eyes. It's something I've been looking for for a while and surprised it hasn't been done sooner. It is pretty expensive though (>$1500)

This is a very cool helmet, and I really like how it looks. But $1500! Sadly it will never make it into my riding kit :(

20 hours ago, who_the said:

Thanks! The camera isn't that expensive, but I still don't want to risk shattering the lens by pointing it at my face. :) 

I'm experimenting with different mount points, I have another video coming from our Santa Cruz ride that I shoulder mounted, here's a sneak peek:

LOL we've made this ride dozens if not hundreds of times. More if you count bikes back in the day. She's keeping up pretty good, going to be passing me soon on her Tesla!

Yes we do have a radio. Pair of Hawk X1's. Available on AX for much less as a generic. Happy with the performance, range is about 1/2 to 1 block at best, gets pretty blotchy at that distance. But within 30-50 feet or so is awesome. Can only pair with two riders though. We just call each other when we need more range. Our group is also starting to use separate Baofeng BF-888's for our larger rides.

I hear you, my mirror is oblong and I rotate it inward toward my face from the bottom so it is angled slightly outward, sort of back over my shoulder, as you can see in the above video. I have kind of a "scanning" technique, where I move my head slightly as I'm looking at the mirror to capture a wider field of view with one glance. We ride a lot in street traffic up here (like bicycles and Segways, we are not allowed on sidewalks in San Francisco), so being able to see if there are any cars behind me so I can, say, make a left turn, is pretty crucial.

Thanks. I think I'm getting close to a final position for the mirror. Like you, just have to turn the head to scan behind you. Effective enough.

Your mirror is very similar to mine, but looks maybe bigger. If you happen to have a model number, please post it here if you get a chance. Thanks.

• Upvote 1