THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Anyway, I thought this was kind of funny and some of you might get a kick out seeing me in my early days :D

Very Funny! Yes sir...We’ve all been there.

39509389481_ba2c4ccfd4_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/2/2018 at 10:21 AM, LanghamP said:

While I do think the twist works better than the side to side, a halfway competent rider can make it work especially if he knows going backwards. Knowing how to idle makes it a bit irrelevant as to which method is better.

I think as to why the twist works better is because the S-curve covers more distance and hence the speed is higher.

But really, why bother whining how other people ride if they can idle? @Marty Backe can idle and he got rid of those ghastly white shoes.

I gotta brag, with my MSuper I can stick it so slow it looks like my wheel is stuck in concrete with none of this wobbly corrections, 18 inch wheels rule when it comes to ultra slow speeds. If it was lighter I bet I could bunny hop it like a pogo stick.

You better watch it - I may bring back the white shoes :D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Very Funny! Yes sir...We’ve all been there.

39509389481_ba2c4ccfd4_b.jpg

You can't get much better form then this. Maybe Gotway could use it for a training video :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/3/2018 at 5:01 PM, trya said:

It is way too cold in NJ now to go for long rides, but... it is a good weather to learn and perfect the new tricks, at least until we'll be hit with a snow storm (which is going to happen tonight). Inspired by @Hirsute - thanks, guru! I have a list of quite a few other moves I'm going to learn from you :)

I like how controlled and smooth you are in your actions. That's what I'm working on now with my backward techniques. Time, time, and more time ...

• Like 1

Another of the 'lost' videos. Here I'm un-boxing my first wheel, the Gotway ACM. Some of my comments (like getting a smaller wheel) are funny in hindsight, considering how deep I fell down this rabbit hole :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

A trip down memory lane.

I just found this 'lost' footage that my wife took of me on the second day of my learning to ride an EUC. Two days earlier I had practiced for 2-hours and achieving the ability to wobbly go in a straight line. My body was beat-up, so I took a day off, and that's where this video picks up. The 680wh version of the ACM was my first wheel.

I'm glad that I had the foresight to get some of this on video because it's interesting to see how far I've come in 16-months. And I wasn't too bad for only 2-1/2 hours of practice.

Anyway, I thought this was kind of funny and Bitsome of you might get a kick out seeing me in my early days :D

That is just AWESOME! My top three things about this are (in no particular order); 

1. Your posture...As highlighted by @Rehab1 - though he didn't mention your (very cool) Popeye-like arm action (esp. 01:50). 
  2. The cat (00:57)... Amused but uninterested (typical feline).
  3. Just missing your wife's (?) Lexus RX330 (02:12)... I just bought myself a 2007 RX 350 - is yours a 2005 or 2006? It looks very tidy, and I'm liking the running boards.

But seriously, thanks for sharing! I don't have a video of my (much longer) learning period, but I'm sure we all remember that awkward learning stage .

One question... What actually triggered that first wheel purchase?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That is just AWESOME! My top three things about this are (in no particular order); 

1. Your posture...As highlighted by @Rehab1 - though he didn't mention your (very cool) Popeye-like arm action (esp. 01:50). 
  2. The cat (00:57)... Amused but uninterested (typical feline).
  3. Just missing your wife's (?) Lexus RX330 (02:12)... I just bought myself a 2007 RX 350 - is yours a 2005 or 2006? It looks very tidy, and I'm liking the running boards.

But seriously, thanks for sharing! I don't have a video of my (much longer) learning period, but I'm sure we all remember that awkward learning stage .

One question... What actually triggered that first wheel purchase?

Glad you enjoyed it:)

Yeah, that posture was awful, but funny in hindsight. We've all been there though, huh?

That's my wife's 2004 Rx330 (same year as my truck). We keep our vehicles in good condition, and like to get our money's worth out of them :D

I was thinking of getting an electric skateboard and while researching those I happened to see an EUC in the background of a totally unrelated video, and the hook was sunk.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I was thinking of getting an electric skateboard and while researching those I happened to see an EUC in the background of a totally unrelated video, and the hook was sunk.

Damn that YouTube!

Though I'm glad to see where it ended up for you (not that it has anywhere near ended yet). 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

A trip down memory lane.

Pretty good for only a few hours.  Love the arms, reminds me of a Tv or film character I can't quite place.  It will come to me.

was that the day your wife became an EUC widow?

is it just me or is that thing loud? I could still hear it all the way at the street.

EDIT. Ah yes, Popeye. Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist . Yes, lovely looking cat.  Just call me when you need the timing belt changed on the Lexus, I'm a pro now.;)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

Pretty good for only a few hours.  Love the arms, reminds me of a Tv or film character I can't quite place.  It will come to me.

was that the day your wife became an EUC widow?

is it just me or is that thing loud? I could still hear it all the way at the street.

EDIT. Ah yes, Popeye. Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist . Yes, lovely looking cat.  Just call me when you need the timing belt changed on the Lexus, I'm a pro now.;)

We had the timing belt replaced last year so hopefully we're good until we get new cars (the plan is to keep these for 20-years).

EUC widow - funny :)  I think she would agree with you :(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trya said:

Ah, sweet memories! I also have some footage from the very first steps on the wheel :)

Fantastic! And you had a couple of good places to practice too.

So interesting to see the humble beginnings compared to how good you are.

Did your friends/family also continue to learn to ride?

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Did your friends/family also continue to learn to ride?

This is captured in my friend's house in White Salmon, WA. One friend of those on the video - rides with me when we are in Columbia Gorge during the summer (we keep two KS18 for dirt road/off-road fun there).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Ok I’m ready to get ridiculed. 1st practice session on April 16, 2016. My apologizes for the butt shots.;)

No ridicule here... As Marty said, "We've all been there." 

It is amusing though, looking back from a position of experience; 

• It looks / sounds like you were running about 40psi - that is 20 in each tyre. :D
  • And speaking of "each tyre," you do know what the U in EUC stands for, don't you? :P

What would be awesome to see is you doing the same video again now (most likely without you touching the bars at all). :popcorn: Do you still have the Q6? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:And speaking of "each tyre," you do know what the U in EUC stands for, don't you? :P

It stands for ‘Unique’ . Take a close look....only one wheel.:o

24661830477_76c27522a5_b.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ok I’m ready to get ridiculed. 1st practice session on April 16, 2016. My apologizes for the butt shots.;)

"I don't know why I'm doing this"   -  very funny :lol:

So, your first EUC was a two wheeler. How long was it before you bought a single-wheel unit.

• Like 1