THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 1/1/2018 at 12:16 PM, CaptainKBLS said:

A short video when I was at Atlantic City last week.  It was cold!!!  My face was numb and could barely talk after the ride.

This is no match to Sana Monica beach! SIGH!!!!

I was shivering just watching your video.:cry2:

Edited by Rehab1

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel competent enough riding slowly. Keep in mind that I'm holding a camera and filming while riding which may affect the end result that you see here.

If you decide to twist while filming please place a disclaimer at the beginning of your video so I have time ingest a Dramamine. :blink1:

38740306794_2bc82bc921_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, dmethvin said:

I actually like to use the side-to-side wiggle when I'm going slow because it helps to work out some of the tension and cramps  in my legs and feet.

While I do think the twist works better than the side to side, a halfway competent rider can make it work especially if he knows going backwards. Knowing how to idle makes it a bit irrelevant as to which method is better.

I think as to why the twist works better is because the S-curve covers more distance and hence the speed is higher.

But really, why bother whining how other people ride if they can idle? @Marty Backe can idle and he got rid of those ghastly white shoes.

I gotta brag, with my MSuper I can stick it so slow it looks like my wheel is stuck in concrete with none of this wobbly corrections, 18 inch wheels rule when it comes to ultra slow speeds. If it was lighter I bet I could bunny hop it like a pogo stick.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

While I do think the twist works better than the side to side, a halfway competent rider can make it work especially if he knows going backwards. Knowing how to idle makes it a bit irrelevant as to which method is better.

I think as to why the twist works better is because the S-curve covers more distance and hence the speed is higher.

But really, why bother whining how other people ride if they can idle? @Marty Backe can idle and he got rid of those ghastly white shoes.

I gotta admit, with my MSuper I can stick it so slow it looks like my wheel is stuck in concrete with none of this wobbly corrections, 18 inch wheels rule when it comes to ultra slow speeds. If it was lighter I bet I could bunny hop it like a pogo stick.

If idling would have worked, he would have done it in the video.  Idling is a good thought, not so much useful in real life with all these people around.  

I would like to see how stable you are doing the side to side compensation and going really slow.  

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

If you decide to twist while filming please place a disclaimer at the beginning of your video so I have time ingest a Dramamine. :blink1:

38740306794_2bc82bc921_b.jpg

If you do the twisting correctly, the upper body is really still, only the lower body is twisting to compensate.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:12 PM, Marty Backe said:

Some sights & sounds of the Venice Beach boardwalk on New Years Eve

Lot of people seeing a wheel for the first time.  Just noticed you switched to different knee protectors.  One of the many interesting things was the guy playing Led Zeppelin on a bass fiddle..:popcorn:  Not to mention the painting in the thumbnail photo.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

If you do the twisting correctly, the upper body is really still, only the lower body is twisting to compensate.

Yes I guess there is some twisting action when I’m crawling at a snail’s pace but it so subtle that I’m no longer aware of the kinetic activity taking place in my lower extremities.

48 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I would like to see how stable you are doing the side to side compensation and going really slow.  

This might be the first post where someone called me out for agreeing with them, and then demanding I post a video proving so.

Let me repeat myself to remove any and all doubt as to what I say:

I agree with you that twisting works better than side by side. Again, I'm agreeing with you. Not disagreeing. Agreeing. The opposite of disagreeing.

I've seen Marty do the idling thingies several times on various videos so presumably he knows how to handle himself in a crowd. He's just a really good rider who practices a lot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2018 at 2:35 PM, eddiemoy said:

@Marty Backe, you need to learn to go slow, you are still doing the side to side for slow movement compensation.  It isn't fast enough for walking speeds.  you need to learn to twist with your upper body.  I was thinking of doing a video to teach what I've learned but haven't gotten around to it since it is soooo cold here.  try going slower than walking, the tilting the EUC side to side will not work and takes too much work on the lets.  If you just stand up straight, even with legs locked, you can just do simple twist with the body to compensate and you will be able to go slower than walking. 

I think it would be a fun game to challenge everyone to go as slow as you can for 15ft.  Simple enough to mark out a strip 15ft long and try to time yourself going from beginning to the end.  see how slow you can go.  the highest time wins without going backwards.  only forward.

i never did it but this biker bar i use to go to had “slow races”. i’d love to see a video of you group riders do a “slow race”. obviously no touching but u would have to add going in reverse as a disqualification.

37 minutes ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

A little video from Saturday:

Great video!  First time sighting of a Solowheel branded V8 at about 1:27, then right after , a Pedego bike.  Those Pedego's seem expensive, but they are stealth technology.  If someone had never heard of Pedego, they would never guess it was electric.

Also just noticed the Solowheel branded cover on that wheel in the thumbnail photo.

San Diego is a great place.  I lived there for a couple of years.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

i never did it but this biker bar i use to go to had “slow races”. i’d love to see a video of you group riders do a “slow race”. obviously no touching but u would have to add going in reverse as a disqualification.

too bad we are not in the same area.

27 minutes ago, trya said:

It is way too cold in NJ now to go for long rides, but... it is a good weather to learn and perfect the new tricks, at least until we'll be hit with a snow storm (which is going to happen tonight). Inspired by @Hirsute - thanks, guru! I have a list of quite a few other moves I'm go

Very smooth.  I know you were practicing, but it looked very smooth and controlled.  I've seen some other trick riding on YouTube and sometimes it just looks rough and jerky.  If a trick is worth doing it has to look good.  That looked good.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Very smooth.  I know you wer practicing, but it looked very smooth and controlled.  I've seen some other trick riding on YouTube and sometimes it just looks rough and jerky.  If a trick is worth doing it has to look good.  That looked good.

Thanks! I'm still perfecting it and working on making it stable and effortless - it was only a few days ago when I managed to do it for the first time on my own without some extra support (walls, railing and the like).

29 minutes ago, trya said:

It is way too cold in NJ now to go for long rides, but... it is a good weather to learn and perfect the new tricks, at least until we'll be hit with a snow storm (which is going to happen tonight).

Strong stuff Trya! Is your lovely wife learning any tricks on her EUC?

8 hours ago, trya said:

It is way too cold in NJ now to go for long rides, but... it is a good weather to learn and perfect the new tricks, at least until we'll be hit with a snow storm (which is going to happen tonight). Inspired by @Hirsute - thanks, guru! I have a list of quite a few other moves I'm going to learn from you :)

Great job! Congrats!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, trya said:

Thanks, @Rehab1! Olga is not that much into freestyle - but she learned one-leg riding, backward and pendulums :) 

That is awesome. You’re a luck man that your better half enjoys and participates in your EUC hobby!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trya said:

@CaptainKBLS - next time - check out one more lovely and very long boardwalk in the Ocean City, and there is a great bridge ride leading to it.

I was there at the end of summer with the family.  They were riding the bikes and I was on my unicycle.  Unfortunately I'm the only one who knows how to ride it.  But I did bump into a fellow on a Eboard on the broadwalk and a person on EUC on the main road as I was going south towards the broadwalk.  I was charging my car at the convention center and was riding back and forth between that and the hotel.  It was jeep week and this guy stopped me asking what I was riding.  LOL

• Like 1