My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

Thanks for this info. Good to know the production models don't have this problem. 

BTW, any info on shipping dates? Please take your time to perfect the design before shipping. But some info would be nice. We are quite eagerly waiting to ride our new wheels! ?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is one of the big reasons I'm buying the v10f instead of waiting to see how the z10 turns out.   The communication has been great, past quality has been great.   I feel like ninebot has not been very good in the US/English speaking markets with the issues and changes they've had.

4 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

I think this is one of the big reasons I'm buying the v10f instead of waiting to see how the z10 turns out.   The communication has been great, past quality has been great.   I feel like ninebot has not been very good in the US/English speaking markets with the issues and changes they've had.

I agree and cannot overstate how refreshing this open communication direct with the manufacturer has been. Kingsong are about on here but responses are not exactly guaranteed. I encouraged Uniwheel to continue engaging us after their brief posting spree a few months ago...now nothing. The whole InMotion/Solowheel deal really pissed off the NA consumer and I believe the recent efforts of @Bobwheel , @Jeffrey Scott Will, and @RoseInMotion have contributed greatly to the turnaround of opinion of the brand on this forum. Bravo!

In relation to the failure. I'm glad this won't be a production issue but I am interested in how so much water entered the battery compartment, especially now the internal trolley handle has been abandoned so there is no longer a hole in the top of the casing. Were you using it in a deluge? On a recent internal inspection of my V8 apart from a small amount of dried up dirt from water getting behind the outer panels below the pedal mounts I had no evidence of water ingress. It looks like the V10 got quite a soaking.

@Bobwheel  thanks so much for being transparent on why the V10f gave way..  I understand that the wheel will be water resistant IP55, so can we ride this wheel in the rain ?

IP55 would mean yes?  correct?

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Rain in LA? There is a God! :efef77eaf5:

The water was from a Seattle event where it was then shipped to me.

Nice try :P

I hope the V10 does well in sales, because the team have been excellent communicators on here the last few months. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s for me. I really want an 18 incher for my next wheel, and the glossy black, semi-transparent body panels this wheel seems to share with the V8 don’t hold up too well to much abuse over time. Putting grip tape on the pedals seems like you’d need to make a piece of metal or plastic to fit where the rubber is situated too, as the underneath is a honeycomb. 

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll see many more designs from them in the future. 

Right back at you, Marty. I'm grasping for straws here, give me something.

5 hours ago, Bobwheel said:

It had been used for the V10 official video shooting in LA and the demo ride in Seattle, and it's raining during 3/19-3/22 when we shot in LA.

:efeebb3acc:

On 4/25/2018 at 12:55 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:efef585a74:  Mu must resist... gah oh what the heck...

I hope you have many long, enjoyable rides on Victor, and may all of them have a happy ending that doesn't end prematurely.  Take pleasure in Victor's girthy wheel thickness as you gently embrace every inch of his slim form factor between your legs.  

I hear that the ride feel is firm yet somewhat supple.  Feel confident as you grasp Victor's rigid shaft as you deploy it into the upward trolley position.  Just use caution if you plan on having too long of a rigorous ride as Victor may collapse from heat exhaustion.  Also remember to use protection during rough riding as I hear the rubber can be slippery. <insert innocent whistling emoji here>

Edit:  You do realize Victor is traditionally a male name, right? ?

You are posting in the wrong forum again. :efeff54d4a:

20 minutes ago, andrewnyer said:

@Marty Backe that beach ride was with the wheel that broke or is that a new wheel that they sent you?

That was the same wheel. The mountain ride was in the morning and the beach ride was late in the afternoon.

@Bobwheel I really appreciate you finding out what went wrong and disclosing it here on the forum.  Inmotion/Solowheel has been showing lately that they care about their customers opinions.  Bringing your prices back down from an inflated state and now having open communication about the V10F is what I want from a euc company.  Not to mention a priority on quality control and safety.  Bob, I encourage you to please continue to stay active on this forum to answer questions about your product.  I own many wheels from different manufactures as well as electric skateboards and Onewheels. (Not as many as @Marty Backe) This is a fun hobby and I enjoy riding and seeing the new inovations that come out each year.  Although I wish the V10F was a little less scratch prone, (I prefer a matte finish) I want to put my money where my mouth is.  I just put an order in with ewheels for a V10F.  I’ll have to wait for the second batch in June, but it’s worth it.  I hope other companies will follow suit and become more accessible to their customers.  Keep up the good work Inmotion/Solowheel.

24 minutes ago, Sketch said:

@Bobwheel I really appreciate you finding out what went wrong and disclosing it here on the forum.  Inmotion/Solowheel has been showing lately that they care about their customers opinions.  Bringing your prices back down from an inflated state and now having open communication about the V10F is what I want from a euc company.  Not to mention a priority on quality control and safety.  Bob, I encourage you to please continue to stay active on this forum to answer questions about your product.  I own many wheels from different manufactures as well as electric skateboards and Onewheels. (Not as many as @Marty Backe) This is a fun hobby and I enjoy riding and seeing the new inovations that come out each year.  Although I wish the V10F was a little less scratch prone, (I prefer a matte finish) I want to put my money where my mouth is.  I just put an order in with ewheels for a V10F.  I’ll have to wait for the second batch in June, but it’s worth it.  I hope other companies will follow suit and become more accessible to their customers.  Keep up the good work Inmotion/Solowheel.

Congrats Sketch! You're living my dream, or will be in June

Hello @Bobwheel,

My apologies if this has been answered I haven't read the entire thread;

1. Is the 25 mph / 40 kph top speed final? Will there be an unlock to 50 kph/is the wheel capable of higher speeds (safely!)?

2. Will you offer grip tape pedal replacements for the rubber? Will you ever offer different color / finish (matte) shells?

3. Will there be a larger battery shell version ever, or is that a pipedream?

4. I heard the production models will have a better trolley?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, King Llama said:

Wait, so Marty was riding on a water damaged wheel this whole time? That doesn’t sound safe... ?

No, it was a pre production wheel and indeed not safe.  At least they came on here and disclosed the problem and plan to take care of it in the production models.  I would love to see a reference of any of the other manufacturers that have done that.  

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Although I wish the V10F was a little less scratch prone, (I prefer a matte finish) I want to put my money where my mouth is.  I just put an order in with ewheels for a V10F.

Thanks Sketch! Protective Covers are on the way, replacement shells will also be available to swap out for $75 in a month or two. Is there a plastic material that is both semi-transparent, malleable (better a scratch then shattering on impact), & resistant to scratches? Pretty certain your Wheel will go out in the late May batch. 

?ui=2&ik=cbccf69ed0&view=fimg&th=162e4be1602b8c87&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_jg8elnf70_162e4bb29b28b375&attbid=ANGjdJ86bP6ySrEmDhGyfyqKsPBF72zF3UnkkVsTABlJwKjgX-yIzJCTs5zmaMKRlYHpBSUT33VLkJQyTCuo0BIuS0ctn3OocBs0prCEw5oEdIjKH9oCIN2AwMOnd8Q&sz=w904-h1530&ats=1524793463443&rm=162e4be1602b8c87&zw&atsh=1

11 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

I think this is one of the big reasons I'm buying the v10f instead of waiting to see how the z10 turns out

Agreed, Inmotion did such an awesome job on realizing the opportunity of being first to get their new Wheel out of the gate in time for summer.  

1 hour ago, Hatchet said:

Is the 25 mph / 40 kph top speed final? Will there be an unlock to 50 kph/is the wheel capable of higher speeds (safely!)?

What I'd really like to see changed first is for the throttling behaviour to get adjusted to permit the 25mph/40kph cruising until the 25% battery level. My sense is that the firmware is still using the V8 logic, yet there's now twice as many cells to play with, why not unbridle the stallion?     

Will there be a larger battery shell version ever, or is that a pipedream?

Without sacrificing the physique, it's really impossible to pack any more cells in the body—Ecodrift's internals photo show there's not a single free sq/cm. That the Engineers managed to squeeze 80 cell in there was the greatest surprise for me, I thought 60 cell was the most that could be hoped for in the V8+ 

Will you offer grip tape pedal replacements for the rubber

Has anyone reported/complained of pedal slipperiness yet? I've done 300km on the V10F, a good chunk in the wet, tested different type of footwear, dress-shoes, gym trainers, casual, moved feet around on the mat to see if there was a loss of traction, pads have held up really well. Trouble with the grip-tape pedal surface is that it wears out pretty quickly. Any long-time V8 rider will have worn the sandpaper down within the first 1000 clicks. 

Thanks @Jason McNeil The rubber pedals will likely be fine for my city riding, but I wouldn't mind having grip tape option, plus I'm just interested in what options they'll offer. Grip tape on top of the rubber to get the best of both worlds?:efeed51798:

The battery I thought so, i think you told me the same thing Saturday, but one can dream right?

I asked out the speed unlock because I don't want to ever hit tiltback and 25mph is about my top speed (you might remember looking back to see if I was there, haha). Tltback is always disappointing. So 50kph top speed would be fine for me.

13 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks Sketch! Protective Covers are on the way, replacement shells will also be available to swap out for $75 in a month or two. Is there a plastic material that is both semi-transparent, malleable (better a scratch then shattering on impact), & resistant to scratches? Pretty certain your Wheel will go out in the late May batch. 

?ui=2&ik=cbccf69ed0&view=fimg&th=162e4be1602b8c87&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_jg8elnf70_162e4bb29b28b375&attbid=ANGjdJ86bP6ySrEmDhGyfyqKsPBF72zF3UnkkVsTABlJwKjgX-yIzJCTs5zmaMKRlYHpBSUT33VLkJQyTCuo0BIuS0ctn3OocBs0prCEw5oEdIjKH9oCIN2AwMOnd8Q&sz=w904-h1530&ats=1524793463443&rm=162e4be1602b8c87&zw&atsh=1

Agreed, Inmotion did such an awesome job on realizing the opportunity of being first to get their new Wheel out of the gate in time for summer.  

What I'd really like to see changed first is for the throttling behaviour to get adjusted to permit the 25mph/40kph cruising until the 25% battery level. My sense is that the firmware is still using the V8 logic, yet there's now twice as many cells to play with, why not unbridle the stallion?     

Without sacrificing the physique, it's really impossible to pack any more cells in the body—Ecodrift's internals photo show there's not a single free sq/cm. That the Engineers managed to squeeze 80 cell in there was the greatest surprise for me, I thought 60 cell was the most that could be hoped for in the V8+ 

Has anyone reported/complained of pedal slipperiness yet? I've done 300km on the V10F, a good chunk in the wet, tested different type of footwear, dress-shoes, gym trainers, casual, moved feet around on the mat to see if there was a loss of traction, pads have held up really well. Trouble with the grip-tape pedal surface is that it wears out pretty quickly. Any long-time V8 rider will have worn the sandpaper down within the first 1000 clicks. 

@Marty Backe said he’d rip off the rubber and replace with anti skid material. 

i’m wondering:

when are they gonna start shipping to customers and how is the trolley handle situation gonna be handled?

Good to know protective covers are otw.

15 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Agreed.   No need to go up to 31mph/50kph.  I think most would be happy with the consistent 25mph as advertised.  If it only does 25mph on max battery... That feels like a marketing trick.

Top speed of 25 mph sounds great ..until you realize that is only 100% battery -correct? Also, tilt back will begin earlier, around 22mph I think Marty said.

I am a slower rider, and I still hit 35 kph (22 mph) on my commute. I just don't want any tilt back up to say .. 45 kph (28 mph), that would mean I never feel it I believe.

I love this wheel though, I am gunshy of that top speed limit, because the alarms/tilt are earlier.

34 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

<snip>

I complained :huh: During any rough trail riding your feet will be slipping of these pedals as was happening to me (I caught one fall on video). This does not happen with my grip-tape covered pedals. I've never worn through my Gotway grip-tape covered pedals although I recognize that YMMV.

You would know better than me; if 95% of the owners of the V10 will not be taking the wheel off-road then I guess it's a non-issue. But anybody who plans on using this wheel for off-road riding, be forewarned that you will not like these pedals.

15 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Thanks for this info. Good to know the production models don't have this problem. 

BTW, any info on shipping dates? Please take your time to perfect the design before shipping. But some info would be nice. We are quite eagerly waiting to ride our new wheels! ?

The first air shipment should arrive today or tomorrow in LA. The second batch by sea shipment will be sent out this week from China, but you know there were only limited quantity. 

Archived