My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

5 hours ago, Kael said:

When people say pedal firmness, what exactly is meant? The amount of play given by the algorithm before the wheel starts moving? Or how attached it is to the mount?

The former. The Tesla pedals, in hard mode, feel like you are standing on a granite rock attached to bedrock. The V10F has an ever slight amount of give. This is in the mode that the wheel was given to me. I had no working app so I have no idea if it can be adjusted or whether I was riding it in the hardest mode.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

The V10F never died on the hill, and it even turned on the next morning. It was after lunch the next day that it wouldn't turn on, probably due to the by-hand soldering of the pre-production wheel.

"Did I say I wanted the truth?  I can't handle the truth!  Son, we live in a world that has wheels, and those wheels need to be ridden by men with balls.  Backe balls.  Who's gonna do it?  You?  We need people like Marty on that mountain reviewing wheels for us."  - From "A Few Good Wheels"

:popcorn:  Whhhhhat?  It's made-up movie quote Monday, isn't it?  :whistling:

27 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

"Did I say I wanted the truth?  I can't handle the truth!  Son, we live in a world that has wheels, and those wheels need to be ridden by men with balls.  Backe balls.  Who's gonna do it?  You?  We need people like Marty on that mountain reviewing wheels for us."  - From "A Few Good Wheels"

:popcorn:  Whhhhhat?  It's made-up movie quote Monday, isn't it?  :whistling:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The former. The Tesla pedals, in hard mode, feel like you are standing on a granite rock attached to bedrock. The V10F has an ever slight amount of give. This is in the mode that the wheel was given to me. I had no working app so I have no idea with it can be adjusted or whether I was riding it in the hardest mode.

Thanks. Good to know. 

On 4/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Didn't the 18S and ACM2 make it? Or was that another hill? Getting confused:confused1: are we talking about the hill where you 14D stopped going? Hill of death that the 18S did (overheating right at the top)?

The KS made it to the top but it overheated when it got there

the v10F never did

the acm2 did get there without problems

48 minutes ago, claudioagmfilho said:

The KS made it to the top but it overheated when it got there

the v10F never did

the acm2 did get there without problems

The V10F did get to the top after resting for a couple of minutes ~25-meters from the top.

The ACM2 made it to the top after resting for a few minutes at the halfway point. I may change my mind in the future, but right now, I will not attempt this hill with any of my Gotway wheels because of the possibility of burning up a control board :(

About Overheat Hill

For those who are more curious about the hill that I climb to overheat wheels, I thought some additional information would be appreciated.

The trail section that I ride is ~1300-feet (396-meters) long with an elevation gain of ~260-feet (79-meters). The average slope is ~20%.

Here is the Google Earth view of the trail section (I drew the path in Google Earth - this isn't a direct track of my climb)

Thanks for making these, Marty. 

I'm quite happy I've already paid for mine. Looks like this wheel suit my needs perfectly. I value agility and acceleration way more than top speed. Seems like a well behaved wheel. 

11 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

Did you ever get a chance to write it up to kickback or close to 25mph?  How did it feel at speed?

@Marty Backe, what was your cruising speed with this wheels ? and did you get close the tiltback ?
Thank you for all your tests. What a wonderfull landscape where you are living :) 

a jealous guy from Paris in France  :d 

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

Did you ever get a chance to write it up to kickback or close to 25mph?  How did it feel at speed?

1 hour ago, Dany Slx said:

@Marty Backe, what was your cruising speed with this wheels ? and did you get close the tiltback ?
Thank you for all your tests. What a wonderfull landscape where you are living :) 

a jealous guy from Paris in France  :d 

It broke before I got to do my long road test. But I did ride it along the beach for awhile and got it up to ~22-mph. I experienced the slight kick-back that starts at that speed, just enough to let you know that it's warning you, but very easy to continue riding.

The wheel felt very stable at the higher speeds.

In my opinion it takes more effort to go faster on this wheel than the Tesla, as one example. It's very easy to go 22-mph on the Tesla without even realizing it. I suspect that the V10F motor was designed for more torque than speed. That's a good compromise and works for people who don't need to ride very fast. If you enjoy higher speed riding and can only have one wheel, you don't want to buy the V10F. 

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It broke before I got to do my long road test. But I did ride it along the beach for awhile and got it up to ~22-mph. I experienced the slight kick-back that starts at that speed, just enough to let you know that it's warning you, but very easy to continue riding.

The wheel felt very stable at the higher speeds.

In my opinion it takes more effort to go faster on this wheel than the Tesla, as one example. It's very easy to go 22-mph on the Tesla without even realizing it. I suspect that the V10F motor was designed for more torque than speed. That's a good compromise and works for people who don't need to ride very fast. If you enjoy higher speed riding and can only have one wheel, you don't want to buy the V10F. 

I often ride at ~24mph, so while the v10f seems fab, it would probably annoy me.

45 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I often ride at ~24mph, so while the v10f seems fab, it would probably annoy me.

It would definitely annoy you :D

This concludes my mountain testing of the Inmotion V10F. Unless Inmotion provides me another working wheel, this is all I have for now.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, Bobwheel said:

Great review @Marty Backe, thanks for that!

We are working on diagnosing the problem now, and hopefully we can find the problem soon, and I'll update here for sure.  BTW, the wheel is actually the very first prototype we sent to US and lots of the board soldering were hand made instead of machine, and the V10 video was shot by this wheel as well. The out shell and the pedals were all torn-up before we replaced with new ones and then shipped to Seattle Demo Ride and then shipped to you. 

Have any conclusions been reached on the diagnosis?  I'm curious to see what your findings are on what caused the wheel to stop working.

I couldn't stand the trolly handle either. (as we discussed)  I don't understand why it has to be so long?, it makes you walk with your hand quite high, it could be a third its length.. quite awkward. Maybe it should click in at different heights?

@Marty Backe Big thanks for taking the time to produce these fantastic videos featuring your thorough test rides; they are awefully helpful when it comes to forming an opinion on a new wheel! Too bad it came to a premature end, isn't it (@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I know what you're thinking here ?)?

I'm definitely leaning towards the V10F as my upgrade from the V5F+, but we'll have to see how the KS18L and the Z10 measure up. Come early autum I will be doing laps of honour on the victor in all her marvellous glory! Hmm, perhaps that's the name I shall give her: Victor. ?

By the way, did you know that "backe" means slope or hill in Swedish? Quite an apt name, wouldn't you say? It's like you were meant for this! ?

6 minutes ago, thefork said:

@Marty Backe Big thanks for taking the time to produce these fantastic videos featuring your thorough test rides; they are awefully helpful when it comes to forming an opinion on a new wheel! Too bad it came to a premature end, isn't it (@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I know what you're thinking here ?)?

I'm definitely leaning towards the V10F as my upgrade from the V5F+, but we'll have to see how the KS18L and the Z10 measure up. Come early autum I will be doing laps of honour on the victor in all her marvellous glory! Hmm, perhaps that's the name I shall give her: Victor. ?

By the way, did you know that "backe" means slope or hill in Swedish? Quite an apt name, wouldn't you say? It's like you were meant for this! ?

Thanks, and thanks for the bit about my name. I didn't know that.

I'm 1/4 Swedish, from my Grandmothers side :)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'm 1/4 Swedish, from my Grandmothers side :)

Wow, that means I can legally pronounce you Honorary Swede of Stoicism and Hillclimbing. (Not really, though. But just try and stop me!)

If you come by Stockholm sometime I will buy you a kanelbulle (or a semla if the time of year is right, which it won't be, since the weather is usually quite aweful in february).

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This concludes my mountain testing of the Inmotion V10F. Unless Inmotion provides me another working wheel, this is all I have for now.

Why did you push it at the beginning? Too steep? Too loose gravel? Looked like a fun segment to ride to me:efeebb3acc:

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The V10F has an ever slight amount of give. This is in the mode that the wheel was given to me. I had no working app so I have no idea if it can be adjusted or whether I was riding it in the hardest mode.

InMotions have not traditionally had adjustable pedal hardness setting.

The V10F, in my week of testing, felt very true to the V8 feel, and reminiscent of the GT16 feel as well: very rubber-y, for lack of better word, some resistance to the gyro where leaning forward requires some mustard (but not in a bad way IMHO), unlike the typical Gotway float-y feel.

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

The V10F at the top end of the battery does 24mph, but it quickly settles down to ~22mph like @Marty Backe is saying, with progressively steeper and steeper tiltback (the transition curve into full tiltback angling is smooth though, unlike past tiltbacks like early V5/V8, NB1 14 & 16 series).

IMHO, the whole speed reduction curve is way too conservative for a 2kW nominal motor. The 24mph max should hold at least to 50% battery, if not 40%, then gradually ramp down.

(per @Bobwheel's posted V10 Speed Reduction chart)

R2p2lwr.png

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why did you push it at the beginning? Too steep? Too loose gravel? Looked like a fun segment to ride to me:efeebb3acc:

I was coming down a very steep section of hill that was also littered with loose gravel and big rocks.

1 hour ago, thefork said:

Wow, that means I can legally pronounce you Honorary Swede of Stoicism and Hillclimbing. (Not really, though. But just try and stop me!)

If you come by Stockholm sometime I will buy you a kanelbulle (or a semla if the time of year is right, which it won't be, since the weather is usually quite aweful in february).

:cheers:

I'm a noob at this so pardon my beginner question, but can you ride a max speed? or is that a no-no (ie, high risk of face pancakes)

I thought tilt back was at 80% of max.   Does it tilt back at max speed or at 80% max speed safely? 

Archived