My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice video Marty!  Looks like a strong wheel.  I have two inmotions and I’m pretty happy with the quality.  Looking forward tot the next video.

The two wheels I’m considering purchasing is this one or the 100v Monster.  Big difference...I know.  Just wondering if the v10 will be too much like my 16s.  Thanks for the video.

Just now, Sketch said:

Nice video Marty!  Looks like a strong wheel.  I have two inmotions and I’m pretty happy with the quality.  Looking forward tot the next video.

The two wheels I’m considering purchasing is this one or the 100v Monster.  Big difference...I know.  Just wondering if the v10 will be too much like my 16s.  Thanks for the video.

I think it's too much like the Tesla too. The huge pedals and height from the ground are really nice. More to come ...

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice riding Marty ! Dirt is my favorite terrain ! So it handled well ? I’m so torn right now as far as what wheel to buy . Everything just looks so good ! But since I just got a 2000w 18” and already own a 14 it would be logical to go with a 16. 

Do you notice a big improvement off road with the higher pedals ?

3 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Nice riding Marty ! Dirt is my favorite terrain ! So it handled well ? I’m so torn right now as far as what wheel to buy . Everything just looks so good ! But since I just got a 2000w 18” and already own a 14 it would be logical to go with a 16. 

Do you notice a big improvement off road with the higher pedals ?

The high pedals are huge for off-roading. One of my favorite things about this wheel. The rubber absolutely has to go though, as you'll see in, I think Part III.

The rubber may be good for urban riding, but it's awful for trail riding like I'm doing here.

4 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I think @Marty Backe’s "Overheat Hill" must be haunted by a million invisible infernal imps, that blow their hellfire into the elctronics... :roflmao:

Let's wait until he pushes his upcoming msuper X up there. That's what I'm waiting for. Gotway wheel power + greatly improved electronics (see 100V Monster board) = potential for unprecedented mountain greatness!

2 hours ago, US69 said:

Beside some questions to "active cooling".....

i have seen 2 videos now for looking inside the wheel, i did not see a fan at all?

@Bobwheel because of prototype version? or what is active cooling???

You do not necessarily have to have a fan in order to achieve cooling for electronics. There are basically two types of cooling, passive and active. Passive is typically a heat sink with fins mechanically attached to the electronics. Lower power electronics may not need a fan and solely rely on air convection from a finned attachment.

Active cooling is passive cooling with extra methods to extricate the heat, typically to move the heat from one spot to another within the container. Higher powered electronics require more than just static convection (passive cooling.) If you look inside most desktop computers, you will see a big fan spring clipped on top of a tall, finned aluminum heat sink, which is itself thermally bonded using thermal grease to the top of the processor. The heat sink fins serve to increase the surface area of the aluminum heat sink, and the fan pulls air from the air surrounding the heat sink into the gaps in the fins and out away from the fins to evacuate the heat.

Inmotion's promotional flyer that discusses "active cooling" shows a car radiator type of heat exchanger with piping carrying the heat into the radiator from the source (MOSFETS and processors) and a fan blowing air through the radiator. However, this graphic may only be showing the "concept" of moving the heat actively and may not actually be showing how they really do it in the V10. In very fancy (and expensive) military electronics, a different fluid other than air is sometimes employed to carry the heat. Some circuit cards actually have an inner chamber that the fluid flows through to extract the heat out of the card. However this kind of system requires a pump and a fluid reservoir and a circulation path, which itself can be a source of unreliability. 

Moving and dissipating heat is a very complex problem, and is attacked in many different ways. See the following:

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2003/08/cooling-technology-options/#

Maybe my stress test was too much for the V10F ;)

Saturday it died :crying:  An hour after my last usage, right before the Los Angeles Inmotion Ride event, it would not turn on. Side panel LEDs all red. Obviously a big disappointment for the people who wanted to see it (there even was a guy there from France). This wheel had been through a lot before I got it, and other items had apparently been replaced. Pre-production, etc. Will be interesting to see what they discover broke.

So I will not be producing the review video that I had hoped to make. This stress test and my inline commentary is it :(

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Saturday it died :crying:  An hour after my last usage, right before the Los Angeles Inmotion Ride event, it would not turn on. Side panel LEDs all red. Obviously a big disappointment for the people who wanted to see it (there even was a guy there from France). This wheel had been through a lot before I got it, and other items had apparently been replaced. Pre-production, etc. Will be interesting to see what they discover broke.

So I will not be producing the review video that I had hoped to make. This stress test and my inline commentary is it :(

That sucks!  As @US69 pointed out, the tear-down videos don't show the "active cooling".  Maybe it is missing in this too!  When you find out what broke, would love to know.  Maybe it is the 30amp fuse.

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

That sucks!  As @US69 pointed out, the tear-down videos don't show the "active cooling".  Maybe it is missing in this too!  When you find out what broke, would love to know.  Maybe it is the 30amp fuse.

I doubt it's the fuse. The side panel LEDs were all on, flashing. I may never know what failed. Depends on if Inmotion wants to let us know.

Wow, Marty, Impressive riding, especially down the long hill. You had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for disaster to strike, but it never did. Especially considering the people you had to avoid as you road the trail.. 

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Buuuuu :( Well that is a shame. I really looked forward to your full review before pulling the trigger on V10F as an upgrade to my V5F+.  Anyway again thank you for the stress test videos and time and effort Marty! 

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

so it worked exactly like it was suppose to and u turned it off and it wouldn’t turn back on? 

could u go into detail on what led up to it’s failure toturn on?

38 minutes ago, kjon12 said:

There are basically two types of cooling, passive and active.

My quick peek into the V10F shell / tire-motor crevice looks like the under-side of the heatsink is exposed to the spinning wheel (active as a fan), which is a common design to many a recent model EUC.

I briefly de-shelled into just the control board layer, but there was no obvious signs of any fans in there (though I didn't do a complete disassemble).

The @EcoDrift V10F disassemble didn't seem to reveal any fans either.

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Saturday it died :crying: 

Wow, wonder how much it was because of the unit being a pre-production stress/abuse test model vs actual V10F capability.

FWIW IMHO, after subbing it in as my daily driver this week, the V10F feels plenty powerful for most conditions, but not to the degree of the recent 84V Gotways to feed your Gotway fanboydom

Even with just as much testing as you did it's clear this wheel is a very good wheel.  It should be great for Urban uses, and very likely it is good for rural as well since the wheel has been put through a lot, and you didn't have the App to monitor the wheel.  Thanks for the great real world test.

19 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

My quick peek into the V10F shell / tire-motor crevice looks like the under-side of the heatsink is exposed to the spinning wheel (active as a fan), which is a common design to many a recent model EUC.

I briefly de-shelled into just the control board layer, but there was no obvious signs of any fans in there (though I didn't do a complete disassemble).

The @EcoDrift V10F disassemble didn't seem to reveal any fans either.

Did you post any pictures or videos of this? Also, I thought I saw the V10F disassemble by EcoDrift not too long ago, but now I can't find it. Can you provide a link(s)?

55 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh man...that’s a bummer.  Bad timing as well.  If inmotion is smart, they will fully investigate and report back the findings on the reason for the failure.  Nice job Marty.  I haven’t had a chance to watch your last video yet, but I appreciate your thorough testing.  I have to say that I’m a little more hesitant on the V10 now.  The one thing that was pushing me to that wheel is the reliability.  If that’s in question, I might as well stick with my Gotways and the benefits of the longer range.  I wonder if the red LEDs are a certain specific code that might indicate to inmotion what the exact problem is.  I still don’t have my LEDs working on my V8 after replacing them.  Other than that the V8 and  v3pro have been kid tested and have held up very well.

35 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Not a good design for high power consumption at low speeds. There won't be enough fan effect to sufficiently cool the electronics. I hope they did a little more than that in their design. On the other hand, I doubt that the wheel designers/manufacturers are striving for continuous high angle uphill climb ability. They are most likely designing for electronics that handle long commutes at moderate power levels. The Z10, though, is being touted as as more of an off-road wheel. I wonder what they're doing to handle heat?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

@Marty Backe  The entire EUC community really appreciates all the stress testing you do on these wheels!  I recommend more companies send you their pre-production wheels so you can put them through the paces and provide feedback early in the design process.  It would be INVALUABLE for their design teams!

51 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so it worked exactly like it was suppose to and u turned it off and it wouldn’t turn back on? 

could u go into detail on what led up to it’s failure toturn on?

I rode it in my driveway (a normal driveway, not a cross-country trail like yours ;)). Turned it off, ate lunch, put in it my truck, drove to Griffith Park, took it out to start showing everyone, and it wouldn't turn on. That's the whole story.

30 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Oh man...that’s a bummer.  Bad timing as well.  If inmotion is smart, they will fully investigate and report back the findings on the reason for the failure.  Nice job Marty.  I haven’t had a chance to watch your last video yet, but I appreciate your thorough testing.  I have to say that I’m a little more hesitant on the V10 now.  The one thing that was pushing me to that wheel is the reliability.  If that’s in question, I might as well stick with my Gotways and the benefits of the longer range.  I wonder if the red LEDs are a certain specific code that might indicate to inmotion what the exact problem is.  I still don’t have my LEDs working on my V8 after replacing them.  Other than that the V8 and  v3pro have been kid tested and have held up very well.

Keep in mind that this was a pre-production unit that has been through God knows what. I really wouldn't hold this failure against them. But I understand what you're saying :)

I'll be curious to hear what went wrong, if they let us know.

Eventually watch the whole video series. It's a solid wheel.

Archived