My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

I have looked the 3 Videos now, and actually the wheel is making those hills very easy and impressive.

what i also found quite good is that the wheel needed about from 100-65% battery for those 15 "hill" miles. That's great in my view!

I would love to hear some more about the trolley, @Marty Backe Seams the General take so far is, works good on the lighter V5, but not on the over 20kg V10? To clumsy and loose?

That the wheel died is a real bummer. My Point of view:

Ok, might be a pre-production wheel, but nonetheless: After Marty brought it in the hills it died the day after??? Not that good...

On the other Hand, with the the button behaviour it is perhaps just a easy button fix.

Having only a 30Amp fuse in front of a 40amp capable battery package is ...hmh.....making big questionmarks in my head?

30Amps is not that much...even KS fuses are at least 40A if not 50A or 60Amp. But ok, perhaps a very efficient Motor not needing that much Watts?

Time will tell if it is enough :-)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, US69 said:

Ok, might be a pre-production wheel, but nonetheless: After Marty brought it in the hills it died the day after??? Not that good...

It does not seem to be a "problematic" issue with the core electronics. More like "button does not work" or some other small part has given up, but nothing representative of a weakness in the wheel. Just bad luck. But we'll see what the reason is.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My intent was to do more controlled tests (hold the wheel and lean it over), but it failed before I got a chance. But I remember doing one early on and it turned off much later than my Tesla.

So it didn't surprise me when it keep spinning in the grass as you see in the video.

Marty, I think under normal circumstance, laying it down it will shut off.  But when the wheel is running, or in motion, pun not intended, the internal gyro doesn’t know it fell down, hence the delayed reaction. 

That is my theory anyway and probably the same for the example given by the other KS18S rider. 

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

But when the wheel is running, or in motion, pun not intended, the internal gyro doesn’t know it fell down, hence the delayed reaction. 

Why would the gyro sensor not know its tilt just because a motor is turning somewhere else? Curious.

Could be that the bumps and twisting of the wheel's position overwhelms the gyro?

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why would the gyro sensor not know its tilt just because a motor is turning somewhere else? Curious.

Could be that the bumps and twisting of the wheel's position overwhelms the gyro?

Not sure, but I know that if you lay wheel down at stand still it behaves as expected.  Then it must have to do with motion that it gets confused.  

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The battery level was ~85% the last I checked. No smoke, just flashing red LEDs.

The wheel had been showing strange power-on behavior. Since this is my first Inmotion wheel I thought it was normal, but apparently not.

I always had to press the power button twice to get the wheel to stay turned on. The first press would cause the wheel to turn on for ~5 seconds, then it would turn off. The second power button press would be the keeper :)

Weirdly enough, I sometimes get that with my V8... I always put it down to me not pushing the button properly.. But maybe there's more to it.

10 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Marty, I think under normal circumstance, laying it down it will shut off.  But when the wheel is running, or in motion, pun not intended, the internal gyro doesn’t know it fell down, hence the delayed reaction. 

I seriously doubt that, since older Inmotion wheels don't behave like that. My V5 tumbled hundreds of times in all possible ways and NEVER had anything remotely similar to that spin @Marty Backe had with V10. When the wheel falls, tumbles or is angled beyond certain degree - it's "dead". Let's hope this is just an issue with this pre-production wheel - whether the cause is in hardware or early firmware.

4 minutes ago, Kael said:

Weirdly enough, I sometimes get that with my V8... I always put it down to me not pushing the button properly.. But maybe there's more to it.

Yeah my V8 did that too. And same as you, I always thought I didn't press the button enough. Strange

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Here's where the wheel overheats

That's an insane climb, I had no idea. And the fact it manages it at a decent speed is amazing, but no wonder no wheel has made it so far.

9 hours ago, trya said:

I am surprised. Both V5 and V8 shut off very gracefully when they are dropped, they don't do "gotway dance". Maybe it was just one-time "abnormal" incident, we have to check out how it behaves in other tests

Mine does the dance. It cuts out within 3-5 seconds though, but there's definitely some spin.

14 minutes ago, Kael said:

Was it uncontrollable spin like that for 1-2 seconds, or just a twitch?

17 minutes ago, Kael said:

That's an insane climb, I had no idea. And the fact it manages it at a decent speed is amazing, but no wonder no wheel has made it so far.

The 18S has made it to the Top, and when arriving there it overheated :-)

27 minutes ago, Kael said:

I'm thinking KingSong personally, haha! The 18L is £200 cheaper. 

That is also an interesting option. Unfortunately it seems that I will wait for new wheels (KS 18L, NB One Z and Inmotion V10) to get properly released and tested / reviewed and then decide. Still far too many unknowns.

One question for Marty, (correct me if this has already been answered) what was the ride comfort like, apart from the pedal slippage? Like for example, I've heard the Tesla almost feels like it has suspension, with how it suppresses bumps somehow.

20 minutes ago, Kael said:

One question for Marty, (correct me if this has already been answered) what was the ride comfort like, apart from the pedal slippage? Like for example, I've heard the Tesla almost feels like it has suspension, with how it suppresses bumps somehow.

My testing was cut short, but from what riding I did there wasn't any wow factor in terms of comfort. I would say typical of a current model wheel. Rode nice and felt stable at speed.

I really wanted to do more Tesla/V10F comparison riding since those two wheels seem closest.

The pedal firmness of the V10F, which I did test based on the mode that it was given me with, is very similar to the KS 'S' series of wheels. The Tesla/ACM2 is more rigid however, like the GT16.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My testing was cut short, but from what riding I did there wasn't any wow factor in terms of comfort. I would say typical of a current model wheel. Rode nice and felt stable at speed.

I really wanted to do more Tesla/V10F comparison riding since those two wheels seem closest.

The pedal firmness of the V10F, which I did test based on the mode that it was given me with, is very similar to the KS 'S' series of wheels. The Tesla/ACM2 is more rigid however, like the GT16.

When people say pedal firmness, what exactly is meant? The amount of play given by the algorithm before the wheel starts moving? Or how attached it is to the mount?

12 hours ago, US69 said:

Well he does have a bit of a rep going now, doesn't he?  If Marty was on "Game of Thrones" the headliners would be:

Daenerys Targaryen - Mother of Dragons

Jon Snow - King of the North

Marty Backe - Killer of Wheels

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

How about stopping power Marty? I mean how fast V10F can stop from certain speed compared to Tesla and other similar wheels?

53 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Well he does have a bit of a rep going now, doesn't he?  If Marty was on "Game of Thrones" the headliners would be:

The V10F never died on the hill, and it even turned on the next morning. It was after lunch the next day that it wouldn't turn on, probably due to the by-hand soldering of the pre-production wheel.

42 minutes ago, xebeche said:

How about stopping power Marty? I mean how fast V10F can stop from certain speed compared to Tesla and other similar wheels?

The wheel died before I could do the comparative Tesla / V10F tests that I had planned :( 

51 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:D

Archived