18l presale specs

outcast00096

42 minutes ago, novazeus said:

thought i’d post pictures of matte black 18L since that’s the one i ordered. 

hate the looks of the mudflap. may have to do away with that. the matte black looks better than the white.

here’s the brain teaser, is this tire mounted backwards?

courtesy of ecodrift on fb. more pictures there.

Mate black looks the best! It beats every new wheel (MSX, V10F, Z10) in the looks department IMHO :clap3:

Even the floppy mud guard become more forgivable.. Still a sin though..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

It is. That is surprisingly common in EUCs. Though I don't remember wether or not that Kenda actually has the direction of rotation arrow. But as the directionality mostly affects water planing at motorway speeds, it will probably make no difference here.

Great photos! The matte black indeed looks great.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It is. That is surprisingly common in EUCs. Though I don't remember wether or not that Kenda actually has the direction of rotation arrow. But as the directionality mostly affects water planing at motorway speeds, it will probably make no difference here.

Great photos! The matte black indeed looks great.

those are very nice photos eco drift did. 

with all the V10F’s as far as i know, including mine, mounted backwards, now the 18L also, the euc builders must be doing it on purpose, whether they are doing it for a reason or maybe they think the arrow should point to the front. who knows? on my  polaris, if u mount them backwards, it is actually smoother on pavement but would not grip as well in dirt.

but yeah, i guess kingsong doesn’t budget much in the way of marketing and rely on their dealers. eco drift does a pretty good job of marketing them.

51 minutes ago, Kens said:

Mate black looks the best! It beats every new wheel (MSX, V10F, Z10) in the looks department IMHO :clap3:

Even the floppy mud guard become more forgivable.. Still a sin though..

ya, the aesthetics are great until u get to that mudflap. kinda like a pretty girl with a killer body but she’s got “summer” teeth. 

well, not that bad.

Edited by novazeus
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adumb said:

@novazeus matte black looks amazing, much better than the white. Agreed on the mud flap...it's just a godawful design but no doubt someone will make an aftermarket one that looks good. If my wife doesn't want to learn EUCs than I might skip buying an mcm5 for now and buy an 18l instead, will see. Who am I kidding though I'll buy an mcm5 too at some point haha. 

When you find a good therapist or the right prescription... Let Me Know... ?

• Like 2

It is backwards. Based on the direction of the chevron pointing up, water would be directed towards the wheel when riding through a puddle. Since the power button is on the front (which would indicate the front of the wheel)  and  the chevron is pointing up, the wheel is mounted backwards. This would not really matter if the road is dry though. This would not affect performance on dry road at all. Wet road would be another matter. Since water would be directed towards the wheel, traction would be less. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ethereal said:

It is backwards. Based on the direction of the chevron pointing up, water would be directed towards the wheel when riding through a puddle. Since the power button is on the front (which would indicate the front of the wheel)  and  the chevron is pointing up, the wheel is mounted backwards. This would not really matter if the road is dry though. This would not affect performance on dry road at all. Wet road would be another matter. Since water would be directed towards the wheel, traction would be less. 

Yeah, I'm bummed about that... Trying to decide whether I should change mine as soon as it arrives, or wait to see if it is an issue.   :o

16 hours ago, Ethereal said:

EUC's do not go fast enough for this to matter. It is a non-issue.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Xoltri said:

I think it's more the shape and narrow width of the tire that makes hydroplaning a non issue on bicycle tires.  Which these are.

Little thin bicycle tires will very easily hydroplane if you go fast enough, I did a little calculation for 40 psi and the hydroplane speed would be around 66mph.........so when Gotway comes out with a 66 mph wheel, watch out!!  ??

If you watch the Tour de France on a rainy day you’ll see lots of those riders go down in the rain due to loss of traction because they really don’t have much in the way of tread to evacuate the water from under those skinny-ass tires/tires  ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Little thin bicycle tires will very easily hydroplane if you go fast enough, I did a little calculation for 40 psi and the hydroplane speed would be around 66mph.........so when Gotway comes out with a 66 mph wheel, watch out!!  ??

If you watch the Tour de France on a rainy day you’ll see lots of those riders go down in the rain due to loss of traction because they really don’t have much in the way of tread to evacuate the water from under those skinny-ass tires/tires  ?

Based on this chart it looks like you're right (although, this is for airplanes).  I can't imagine going 66mph on a bike though.  Even on long downhill stretches while pedalling I only hit 35 or so.

yuS85.png

23 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I understood the speed to be more like over 100mph but could be wrong.

As for Tour de France riders going down, I very much doubt they hydroplane their bikes. It is more likely the fact that on a macroscopic level all the tiny nooks and crevices on the road surface that a tire normally leverages for grip are filled with water. This reduces the useful surface contact area between the tire and road substantially. This macroscopic level of water would remain present regardless of the tire tread which has the sole purpose of the evacuation of excessive amounts of water above and beyond what is discussed here.

Directional tires are largely considered useless on bicycles with tread only having a benefit on grip in environments where the ground surface will deform to the shape of the tire surface allowing the tread to bury into the ground and grip it. Mud, sand and dirt would be examples. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

As for Tour de France riders going down, I very much doubt they hydroplane their bikes. It is more likely the fact that on a macroscopic level all the tiny nooks and crevices on the road surface that a tire normally leverages for grip are filled with water. This reduces the useful surface contact area between the tire and road substantially. 

Semantics — you basically just defined hydroplaning — water between the tire and the road surface leading to a lack of traction and control.

Reguardless of all this, like you said before, for our purposes with an EUC it’s just not an issue because we don’t attain speeds that would cause a problem with water. I’d be far more worried about my pants getting all wet from the tire spray up my backside, unless of course it was an 18L with a rubber scrotum attached to the back to keep me dry ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Semantics — you basically just defined hydroplaning — water between the tire and the road surface leading to a lack of traction and control.

??

Sorry, I'm a stickler for details and the myth of directional tread and hydroplaning being an issue on our EUCs comes up so often on here details matter.

Aquaplaning is a different phenomenon from when water on the surface of the roadway merely acts as a lubricant. Traction is diminished on wet pavement even when aquaplaning is not occurring.

From Wikipedia. Not the most robust source. But good enough for here.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Sorry, I'm a stickler for details and the myth of directional tread and hydroplaning being an issue on our EUCs comes up so often on here details matter.

From Wikipedia. Not the most robust source. But good enough for here.

worse vehicle i ever had for aquaplaning was my Z06 and it had giant tires on it. they weren’t even the full race tires that sb only for the racetrack u could order. mine were halfway between that and stock. the vette being so light and the tires being so big, it was like skipping a stone across a lake.

i don’t care which way the tire points but my curiosity would like to ask inmotion and kingsong why they decided to mount them that way. my guess is because they know it’s a tiny bit smoother ride and looking for that edge, they do that.

just like the ford explorers that ford recommended low tire pressures for all the soccer mom’s tushes until they started doing somersaults. because of that, we now have tire pressure monitors because humans are too stupid and lazy to check their tire pressure. 

6 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Reguardless of all this, like you said before, for our purposes with an EUC it’s just not an issue because we don’t attain speeds that would cause a problem with water

But, with the tyre backward, the tread will channel the water inward (increasing the volume / pressure (?) under the wheel)… Would / could that contribute to any instability?

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist

7 hours ago, novazeus said:

worse vehicle i ever had for aquaplaning was my Z06 and it had giant tires on it. they weren’t even the full race tires that sb only for the racetrack u could order. mine were halfway between that and stock. the vette being so light and the tires being so big, it was like skipping a stone across a lake.

i don’t care which way the tire points but my curiosity would like to ask inmotion and kingsong why they decided to mount them that way. my guess is because they know it’s a tiny bit smoother ride and looking for that edge, they do that.

just like the ford explorers that ford recommended low tire pressures for all the soccer mom’s tushes until they started doing somersaults. because of that, we now have tire pressure monitors because humans are too stupid and lazy to check their tire pressure. 

@novazeus — I don’t think it was a conscious decision, there are reports on both the V10 and 18L of people getting the tires mounted both ways, seems split about 50/50 ......about what you’d expect from a random sampling. I think they just mount them any old way without any thought/knowledge, or concern......just get that tire on the Wheel and box it up man ????

Oh, and while you’re at it, throw a little rubber scrotum thingy on the ass end ??

Edited by Master Blaster
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

@novazeus — I don’t think it was a conscious decision, there are reports on both the V10 and 18L of people getting the tires mounted both ways, seems split about 50/50 ......about what you’d expect from a random sampling. I think they just mount them any old way without any thought/knowledge, or concern......just get that tire on the Wheel and box it up man ????

Oh, and while you’re at it, throw a little rubber scrotum thingy on the ass end ??

yeah, they are many more mysteries in the universe that are probably more important, i’ve just kinda become somewhat of a connoisseur of bullshit excuses from lame to the almost believable, in dealing with my subcontractors when i’d find defects in their workmanship. 

i’m very open minded to bullshit, it just has to make some kind of logical sense so i could regurgitate it later.

14 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a few 18L’s pop up in customers hands with the little ball sac on the wrong side too!!  ???

It's the Kingsong version of "Truck nuts" if you remember those, google if not.

• Like 1

I received mine the 18th, and I find it quite soft: whatever I do, I can’t get an instant power bigger than 1.6kW ... Which is a soft behavior.

Compared to previous KS, this one has to wait until 200 km to allow the 50 km/h max speed. Do you know if the power available is also unlocked once this 200 km line crossed? Does that look like previous KS limitations?

I experienced this behavior with both 1.03 and 1.06 KS18L Firmwares.

Thanks for your feedbacks!

On 6/20/2018 at 12:32 AM, novazeus said:

thought i’d post pictures of matte black 18L since that’s the one i ordered. 

hate the looks of the mudflap. may have to do away with that. the matte black looks better than the white.

courtesy of ecodrift on fb. more pictures there.

42864085662_fea0153397_b.jpg42864085652_7f771e7849_b.jpg42864085642_12882d0039_b.jpg42864085622_717ea97f24_b.jpg42194184224_bb5e267f1a_b.jpg42011615275_f142be0960_b.jpg42011615265_9af6d26654_b.jpg

listening to people with their inmotion app issues, and knowing how frustrating it was to sort thru kingsongs app issues, i was having buyers remorse about my 18L arriving.

after watching the tear down videoand re-visiting these black matte photos i put up, made it all better. it really looks like kingsong is trying.

and i wanted at least one black matte wheel!

i wonder if an inmotion v10F protective cover will fit?

the nut sack has to go.

i’m not putting the trolley handle or fender on the Z10 either. less is more for me, plus anything to make it lighter.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, novazeus said:

the nut sack has to go.

im not putting the trolley handle or fender on the Z10 either. less is more for me, plus anything to make it lighter.

Lol! Looks like it doesnt quite fit anyway! Do you want two thin stripes of water up your back or one large one?

Put the trolley handle on the V10!. It weighs nothing and is fantastic to dismount while picking up the handle at stops or stores. Handle Tip- cut a strip of velcroe using the hook side that will fit on the front end of the handle while it is down. When you lift up the handle the velcroe fills the gap underneath and lessens the wobbles that fragile people are harping about. The handle is way better than any other fitted or added handle on the market imho.