My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Just now, Cannings said:

It's in the top picture intelligent walking store

ok i dont think i can find it

i think maybe it was the one listing with red and yellow as colour choice i have no idea why red and yellow they only come in black

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shad0z said:

litterally nothing goos has happended in my life the last 4 years i decided to get money and try to buy something that i can be happy with and enjoy and have some kind of hobby at least.. but now it looks like i cant even do that..

I think the members should pool their money together and offer to buy you a Tesla! 

7 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I think the members should pool their money together and offer to buy you a Tesla! 

it could be awesome but i think it will be too much to ask -_-

i mean posting "give me money" is a very fast way to get ban

34 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i think i ended up typing a little more of my "everyday not good life"

instead of typing about eucs^_^

Everyday without an EUC is a terrible life. I suppose you feel a lot like Kevin Spacey living next door to a Little League ball park. 

20 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Everyday without an EUC is a terrible life. I suppose you feel a lot like Kevin Spacey living next door to a Little League ball park. 

I dont understand the reference but yes it is terrible life 

On 11/16/2017 at 6:44 PM, Marty Backe said:

Smooth As A Baby's Butt

I just returned from about 15 miles of riding around town. I have to agree with what everyone else has been saying about the Tesla ride quality. It's hard to describe in quantifiable terms (better than the heading of this post ;)). It is an extremely smooth and controlled experience. I like to carve a lot, and it's funner on this wheel than any other wheel I have. You can cruise at 15-mph and carve to your hearts delight, and you feel totally in control, and it's buttery smooth.

I don't know why this is so, but it is. Maybe it's how Gotway tuned the acceleration and deceleration characteristics of the the wheel combined with a powerful and responsive motor?

If the Tesla had the range of the 84-volt ACM's, I think I would give my ACM to the Salvation Army and be done with it :D Only somewhat kidding. The ACM is still a great wheel and I suspect it's tougher that the pretty plastic shell of the Tesla. But the Tesla is better ride than the ACM. There are other differences of course, but I won't get into those here.

This is one hell of wheel :thumbup:

Ok Marty, once again, im sold. Im tired of constantly fixing and breaking my ACM. Time for a tesla!

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully the failure rate for a working wheel is substantially less. If my wheel is going to fail I would rather it happen when I first turn it on then after I've been riding it for 100-miles.

Absolutely, for the moment, this phenomenon does appear isolated to Teslas taken out-of-the-box. 

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, have you seen the same failure rate with the other Gotway wheels?

With Gotways, I'm reminded of the opening lines of Anna Karennia "Happy Wheels are all alike; every unhappy Wheel is unhappy in its own way.":lol:
ACMs are the most problematic Gotway Wheels, axles failures, body shell bolts getting loose over time, axle nuts , occasional board blow-outs, frequent innertube failures, screws holds getting stripped. Plus the melting wiring problems on the earlier vintages.

I can't commend Linnea highly enough in trying to work on our behalf on getting improvements pushed through; the poor girl is caught in the proverbial rock [of eWheels frequent demands] and-a-hard-place [Gotway Engineering intransigence]    

7 hours ago, Shad0z said:

yeah... im battling myself if i need a tesla

i just feel i want a powerfull wheel that can hold up at high speed. and just work even if i have to do some working on it for that price 

do you have any other choices? i need a 40 kph wheel preferably that is about 16 inches

but i keep wanting the tesla :o i think it is the right wheel for me 

The alternatives would be Rockwheel GT16 (currently 84V but a 96V may be coming soon, I think), KingSong KS-18S and KS-18L (2018).

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Absolutely, for the moment, this phenomenon does appear isolated to Teslas taken out-of-the-box. 

On the Gotway FB group there was a report of an asian group of 5 friends which all have the Tesla....2 of them left their wheels for a period of about a week unused(holiday, buisness)......these both Tesla‘s blew their Mosfets directly shortly after powering on after this week.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GotWay/permalink/1630461160345533/

Down in the comments the poster reports about this exactly same happening to his friend after some unused time.....

:blink:  I've only ridden my Tesla once so far, but I power it on and off every now and then.  Seems to be okay so far, knock on wood.  If these are blowing that easily I wonder if there could be some defective MOSFETs in the batch or maybe some sort of assembly issue with the motor harness leading to exposed wiring shorting out.  It would be interesting to take apart the defective wheels to try to find a commonality between the wheels to see why they failed.  Is something shaking loose or maybe there are some exposed wiring endings that are too close to a metal component shorting things out?

Without some post-mortem or disassembly studies we'll just continue to hear about random failures without seeing any improvements over time.  I'm tempted to take a look at my control board once I get some Kafuter RTV silicone to bond it back up.  It would be interesting to see if Joey Serrin or Jason can figure out the root cause of their defective units.

5 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

The alternatives would be Rockwheel GT16 (currently 84V but a 96V may be coming soon, I think), KingSong KS-18S and KS-18L (2018).

The rockwheel just looks weird and for that price i would rather buy a tesla

10 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

if anyone has some spare cash :huh: no just kidding

but i only have 400 dollar

Didn't you have 500 dollars earlier in the day ;)

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Didn't you have 500 dollars earlier in the day ;)

Im just guessing conversion i will just check right now. 

450 dollar but a rockwhewl costs the same as tesla...

if i could buy another good looking and most importantly fast wheel at this price of 600 dollar i probably eould but i cant find any...

13 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Ok Marty, once again, im sold. Im tired of constantly fixing and breaking my ACM. Time for a tesla!

Whoa... can you elaborate on that? What's breaking, and how are you breaking it?

12 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

ACMs are the most problematic Gotway Wheels, axles failures, body shell bolts getting loose over time, axle nuts , occasional board blow-outs, frequent innertube failures, screws holds getting stripped. Plus the melting wiring problems on the earlier vintages.

Do you mean the old motor bullet connectors? Or the ACMs before they switched to slightly thicker motor wires on your request? (It's probably that) Do you know if the thicker motor wiring actually is enough so meltdowns can't happen, or will they just reduce the risk? Do you have enough incident numbers to compare?

Archived