My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe

That really, really was a impressive ride!!!

Wasnt that the hill/road where your ACM burned the wire? Whatever: The Tesla rocks!

No, that was a different hill. I'm still afraid to ride that hill again :cry2:

The Telsa really handles the trails great. And the pedals are higher than the ACM which gives a little more safety margin when climbing or descending steep hills.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No, that was a different hill. I'm still afraid to ride that hill again :cry2:

The Telsa really handles the trails great. And the pedals are higher than the ACM which gives a little more safety margin when climbing or descending steep hills.

Was the downhill with the steep drop off the same trail that Jeff's MSuper V2 went over the side when @YoshiSkySun filmed it?

It always amazes me how many people you pass walking those trails so far up in the hills.  Looks like a long walk to get to the top.

35 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Was the downhill with the steep drop off the same trail that Jeff's MSuper V2 went over the side when @YoshiSkySun filmed it?

It always amazes me how many people you pass walking those trails so far up in the hills.  Looks like a long walk to get to the top.

Yes, that's the same trail - you have a good eye.

These are popular all-day hiking trails for the committed hikers.

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, that's the same trail - you have a good eye.

These are popular all-day hiking trails for the committed hikers.

Thanks, it looks like a rush to ride that trail.

The view up there is amazing.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe

That really, really was a impressive ride!!!

Wasnt that the hill/road where your ACM burned the wire? Whatever: The Tesla rocks!

If I took a Tesla up there in the Whittier hills,I would definately do a motor wire inspection just to be on the safe side.Gotway kicks ass in the power/speed dept.But there QC dept. is :o

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Here is my mountain stress test of the Tesla (it survived)

Great and Impressive videos!

Just a few questions: which of the ACMs would not have passed this stress test? Could you compare your experience to other wheels you took to this trail. I suppose you would have felt more relaxed on the MSuper V3 or the Monster. Or am I wrong? It looked to me, as if it took you a lot of concentration to ride this trail on the Tesla. In other words: "Riding the MSuper on this trail would be relaxing, riding the Tesla is challenging and exciting." Whould that be a correct statement? Or am I mistaken?

I still haven't taken my Tesla to such terrain. It's still without a single scratch... ? But I am tempted to do so, watching your videos. 

2 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Great and Impressive videos!

Just a few questions: which of the ACMs would not have passed this stress test? Could you compare your experience to other wheels you took to this trail. I suppose you would have felt more relaxed on the MSuper V3 or the Monster. Or am I wrong? It looked to me, as if it took you a lot of concentration to ride this trail on the Tesla. In other words: "Riding the MSuper on this trail would be relaxing, riding the Tesla is challenging and exciting." Whould that be a correct statement? Or am I mistaken?

I still haven't taken my Tesla to such terrain. It's still without a single scratch... ? But I am tempted to do so, watching your videos. 

The 67-volt ACM could not climb that hill. The Tesla feels like it has more pulling power than my 84-volt ACM. Although I could climb it with my ACM, the Tesla went up the hill a lot faster.

The MSuper and Monster would probably be more comfortable, but on trails like this I prefer the small wheels because they are more responsive for driving fast and avoiding rocks, ruts, etc.

The Tesla pedals are slightly higher too which makes it slightly better for trail riding.

When I ride trails like this I prefer challenging and exciting. I don't like riding trails slowly.

You should start trail riding your Tesla if you have access to some nice trails. It's a great trail machine :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The MSuper and Monster would probably be more comfortable, but on trails like this I prefer the small wheels because they are more responsive for driving fast and avoiding rocks, ruts, etc.

Yeah. Remember watching the video of a guy reviewing his 18S, saying for dusty/rocky hill climbs & descends, he prefers the 16 incher for better feel of the ground and more responsive action from the wheel.

:thumbup: You know you bought a good wheel when it survives a Marty Backe stress test ride.  Whew!  :efefc8626c:  Nice stress testing video!  Makes riding regular paths more confidence inspiring if the wheel can handle a mountain climb like that!

Do you have any Wheelog or Gyrometrics data of how hot the control board got and what current peaks the wheel reached?

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:thumbup: You know you bought a good wheel when it survives a Marty Backe stress test ride.  Whew!  :efefc8626c:  Nice stress testing video!  Makes riding regular paths more confidence inspiring if the wheel can handle a mountain climb like that!

Do you have any Wheelog or Gyrometrics data of how hot the control board got and what current peaks the wheel reached?

No WheelLog data. I usually don't record that stuff because it generally doesn't interest me :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The 67-volt ACM could not climb that hill. The Tesla feels like it has more pulling power than my 84-volt ACM. Although I could climb it with my ACM, the Tesla went up the hill a lot faster.

The Tesla pedals are slightly higher too which makes it slightly better for trail riding.

When I ride trails like this I prefer challenging and exciting. I don't like riding trails slowly.

You should start trail riding your Tesla if you have access to some nice trails. It's a great trail machine :thumbup:

Thank you! ❤️ 

That is exactly what I needed to know. I think, I'll give it a try. 

31 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  I thought engineers were all about the empirical technical data and analyses!  :ph34r:  EE heresy!

That's what I thought too! And I would have loved to see such data. But may be, we can all talk Marty into doing this test ride again to collect those crucial data for the lot of us ... (whistle) .... After all it was an exciting ride, worth repeating, was it nod! 

15 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  I thought engineers were all about the empirical technical data and analyses!  :ph34r:  EE heresy!

After 35-years in the engineering field I'm kind of over it. I used to nerd out a lot more but as I've gotten older and time is moving quickly now, I just want to enjoy life more and spend less time in the proverbial weeds. Maybe it's an age thing. I don't know :confused1:

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

After 35-years in the engineering field I'm kind of over it. I used to nerd out a lot more but as I've gotten older and time is moving quickly now, I just want to enjoy life more and speed less time in the proverbial weeds. Maybe it's an age thing. I don't know :confused1:

Definitely "age thing"! Yes! ?

Nice Vids MB.  In vid one I noticed some sideways slipping in loose sand, I think it was around 7:20 to 7:35 mark.  If you haven't experienced your wheel scrabbling for grip and darting left or right as it does so, check it out.  MB handles it with ease.  The first 10 times it happens to you its a bit freaky, then you just vow not to let it beat you, and look forward to the challenge. right MB?

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Nice Vids MB.  In vid one I noticed some sideways slipping in loose sand, I think it was around 7:20 to 7:35 mark.  If you haven't experienced your wheel scrabbling for grip and darting left or right as it does so, check it out.  MB handles it with ease.  The first 10 times it happens to you its a bit freaky, then you just vow not to let it beat you, and look forward to the challenge. right MB?

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. When you hit deep pockets of sandy dirt the wheel can get all wonky on you. Not my favorite time on the wheel because if feels like you're about to loose control :cry2:

2 hours ago, Cannings said:

Managed to convince the GF to video me a little on day 2:

Amazing skills for 2-days. I'm a little disappointed that you can't ride backwards yet ;)

22 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Amazing skills for 2-days. I'm a little disappointed that you can't ride backwards yet ;)

Ahaa, i'm still mastering slow turns and starting off but shitty weather is hampering it

On 5.12.2017 at 4:43 PM, Cannings said:

Managed to convince the GF to video me a little on day 2:

Not bad!

Also:

Wrist guards! The most important piece of safety gear. If you're feeling you need a helmet, you should feel you need wrist guards even more.

Archived