Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

29 minutes ago, PourUC said:

Mine is going to be a full-fledged off-road Lynx for fun, and commute on cycle paths for work. Knobby all the way.

absolutely and if i buy a house in the mountains for Bob in the summer, i wouldn't even look at a street tire for the lynx. but literally my pastures are pavement hard. that's why this land is only good for development. only reasons cows are here is because all 325 acres real estate tax is only $1500, without cows and zoned, millions. 

but still less dangerous than falling on pavement. an old golf course, and they have closed two within 5 miles of me recently, would be perfect euc training facilities.

anyway, i wouldn't have any problem with that michelin in the pasture, i've done it on the v13, nbd. but on pavement, it should be a rocket ship or i want my money back.

11 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Huh I wonder what the riding mode does, it switches between percent values instead of soft medium strong.

It's a pedal softness/hardness system like you can find on Inmotion wheels. 

More footage of the Lynx :

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

see, there's no trails like this within a hundred miles of me. this is what a knobby is made for, the rest of the time, just annoying road noise. and i can tell by the way the tire is compressing, he's running it at 75% of max pressure, which is fine for his weight and he's not on pavement. mountain roads.

Edited by novazeus

14 hours ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, when you open it up from rest, did you experience your brain wasn't able to keep up with the visual data coming into your eyes, so that your perception was like you were coming out of warp drive in Star Trek?

I was used to power, the rocket was pure torque. I became a torque junkie after this. It really does launch like a rocket. Of course it was limited in corners - a 240 wide tire on the rear adds to that. The first corner I came to, the bike wouldn't lean at all. I was expecting it to tip in like all other bikes I'd ridden. I ended up hanging off the side for most corners to maximise clearance. On straights, I could see cars about 1km ahead with nothing in between; I opened it up and it reminded me of hyperspace on those old arcade games. We (my partner was on the back) were up the first car's backside in a nano second.

I even enjoyed just pootling around the burbs. Incredibly conscious of slow manouvering and parking - no reverse gear and that thing weighs a ton. 

We both loved it, but my logic kicked in. I would have lost my licence quickly. The twist grip was just so addictive. This is a bike that really needs good roads, good roads = police presence and lots of other drivers.

I ended up getting a ktm supermotard 990 - I could ride as fast as I like on back roads; minimal traffic and no police.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

a good view of the tire tread. i could live with that knobby whatever it is.

It should be the same as Sherman S, Kenda 262 which LK has put on their wheels since the OG Sherman.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

It should be the same as Sherman S, Kenda 262 which LK has put on their wheels since the OG Sherman.

That would be what we'd All expect historically, for it to be a Kenda 262, as you stated in your post above. However, Marty was really surprised to see that Leaperkim had gone with, IMHO, the downgrade option of the CST 186 on his demo at least, which many people actually loathe with a passion:

He mentions the fact they changed in his unboxing at 10.30

Edited by fbhb

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

do u like that tire?

i'd rather have the street kenda, i think. humans are real stingy with their data and i have no idea what the tread looks like mounted.

i've been drooling over jason's pictures. architectually, it's a very attractive design. if it works as good as it looks, it sb awesome.

but mine is gonna be more corvette sports car like with a rock hard street tire and 70 pound shock. dual purpose but sb a rocket on my pavement. i like playing with that instantaneous power delivery.

kinda like electric dreams teaser, but silent. 

Edited by novazeus

54 minutes ago, novazeus said:

do u like that tire?

i'd rather have the street kenda, i think. humans are real stingy with their data and i have no idea what the tread looks like mounted.

i've been drooling over jason's pictures. architectually, it's a very attractive design. if it works as good as it looks, it sb awesome.

but mine is gonna be more corvette sports car like with a rock hard street tire and 70 pound shock. dual purpose but sb a rocket on my pavement. i like playing with that instantaneous power delivery.

kinda like electric dreams teaser, but silent. 

I'm a knobby fan, I use knobby tires on all my wheels, the K262 on the Sherman S which has a pretty wide rim feels good IMO.

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

That would be what we'd All expect historically, for it to be a Kenda 262, as you stated in your post above. However, Marty was really surprised to see that Leaperkim had gone with, IMHO, the downgrade option of the CST 186 on his demo at least, which many people actually loathe with a passion:

He mentions the fact they changed in his unboxing at 10.30

Ah I see, wonder why the downgrade, they are very similar but CST-186 is more square and falls earlier, not sure how it behaves on a wider rim, it will also wear faster as it has softer rubber.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rawnei said:

the K262 on the Sherman S which has a pretty wide rim feels good IMO.

Agreed, and the CST186 is bloody awful, at least on the EX30. Never known a tyre tramline so badly bar the Z10. Fitted a 262 and all was good in the world again. Night and day difference despite how incredibly close they are in terms of appearance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Agreed, and the CST186 is bloody awful, at least on the EX30.

I disagree.  I have the CST186 on both my Ex30 and Ex20s and love the ride.  I run 38psi.  170lbs geared up. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paradox said:

I disagree.  I have the CST186 on both my Ex30 and Ex20s and love the ride.  I run 38psi.  170lbs geared up. 

Fair enough, I do find it strange how something can be so polarizing. I've certainly heard more people moan about the CST than the Kenda though, irrespective of EUC. One mans poison I guess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Agreed, and the CST186 is bloody awful, at least on the EX30. Never known a tyre tramline so badly bar the Z10. Fitted a 262 and all was good in the world again. Night and day difference despite how incredibly close they are in terms of appearance.

The CST186 is actually not as bad on the wider C40 rim, but the kenda still has a better profile due to the spacing between the last row of knobs. k262 on the C40 rim I would imagine makes it way too stable and you lose a ton of nimbleness though.

As for the Lynx, they should throw on whatever tire. Almost all stock tires should just be rideable as most enthusiasts change out the tire to something they prefer anyways. A decent knobby or hybrid tire would suit most riders that arent picky about tires

8 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

The CST186 is actually not as bad on the wider C40 rim

Nope, I hated it. As did the guy I bought the wheel from. He couldn't be bothered to change it and had simply had enough of the handling (he came from a Sherman OG btw).

8 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

k262 on the C40 rim I would imagine makes it way too stable and you lose a ton of nimbleness though.

Nope, not IMO. Not way too stable, just stable, as it should be. And no less nimble than a Sherman, taking into account the extra pedal height and weight of the EX. And it now goes where you point it, unlike like the CST which tramlined so bad it just wanted to go wherever it felt, requiring constant rider inputs and several times scared the life out of me when it caught on certain ridges in the asphalt. Incredibly tiring and frustrating to ride as a result. I lasted 100 miles with it. Went to K262, perfect handling. This is only my experience of course.

Btw my riding buddy also ditched the CST186 on his Commander Pro for the K262 and he is also much happier with the handling.

• Upvote 2

speaking of tires, haven't got an answer yet, but if the lynx is coming to the buyer disassembled, i guess changing the tire might not be too bad.

hate to have to work on a brand new wheel, but evidently this is one situation where he who has the gold rules, this time it's the seller of their wares dictating. as long as we buy their shit the way they like it, it will never change. jason said they can't import michelin tires into china. maybe diguise it as fetanyl. 

i'm gonna see if inmotion tells me the same thing tn. what tires do they put on chinese automobiles and trucks?

this must be a different china than the one jason is referring to.

1A85A13E-A98F-4007-9116-1388CA7155FB.thumb.jpeg.cd337a843c318fc7ff7e7824f3bfeafd.jpeg

Edited by novazeus

10 minutes ago, Planemo said:

unlike like the CST which tramlined so bad it just wanted to go wherever it felt

You dont know tramlining until you've tried a CST186 on a c38 rim like a master. THAT tramlined like no tomorrow. When I say its not as bad on the EX30, its nowhere near as bad. Its like 5/10 on the EX30, but on the master its a 2/10 lol

If the lynx has a 5/10 ride quality tire, I think most can live with it. They should just throw a hybrid on there to mostly satisfy everyone

Edited by Cobaltsaber
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

I do find it strange how something can be so polarizing

I think that's where good reviewers come in. For example, I find many amazon reviews for products that I know are based on ignorance. Many folk just repeat marketing spiel because they actually believe it. Or just jump on board with what they see as popular - we called this the reebok syndrome in the 90's when everyone was wearing those shoes. With tires it's a hard call; I believe it mostly comes down to actual skill level and experience. Also, not many of us can try different tires in a reasonable time frame. Most of us are probably 6mths or a year between tires; by your 3rd different tire you probably can't accurately compare it to the first tire any more. Dudes like wrongway have the skills and the riding time and clock up huge amount of kms quickly (2.5 thousand k per month). This is what I found re mtb and motorcycle tires. I can find the limits of most motorcycle tires with on road cornering so I feel I can comment on my feedback re those. With mtb and euc I'm mediocre - my skill is the thing that could make the most improvement. With mtb and euc I tend to rely on feedback / reviews from others; preferably from those with experience and skill

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1