Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

On 11/3/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jason McNeil said:

This morning's update: LK is testing tubeless stems on the street CST C6501 & K262. The main concern is that it rides/feels the same & that the tire wall is stiff enough to support tubeless, tubeless tires are typically 6ply vs 2-4ply for tubed tires. 

Great to see them experimenting with a proper street tire! We have enough of off roading wheels already. But I don’t think tubeless is very important. Just more difficult to fix a flat without proper gear.

17 minutes ago, stizl said:

I can see how someone might think that with the Lynx/Patton blocky, industrial design style and plastic handles, but they’re more function over fashion. 

I have both a Patton and V12HT. Next to the Patton, the V12 looks like a piece of art, with its curvy lines, high quality injection molded panels, and fit and finish. The Patton though, by comparison, is virtually indestructible.

I’ve dropped the V12 in grass and had panels and rubber bumpers pop out of place. The Patton, on the other hand, has been down on asphalt, been bailed off of in rock gardens many times, and bounced off of trees, but it only has some scapes on the plastic handles and guards to show for it. If the V12 had gone through some of those impacts, it would be in pieces  

The Patton’s handles, edge/corner guards and trim, and kickstand are made of a much thicker and sturdier plastic that appears to be glass filled Nylon. They’re also well placed so that none of the metal parts, lights, or the display panel will hit the ground. They might be ugly, but the Leaperkim wheels live up to being named after tanks. 

that's great to hear. hard to discern that from reviewers videos. 

my favorite pistol isn't my beautiful sigs, which i never shoot, my go to gun here on the ranch is my gaston glock model 27. i wish they would build a wheel with his molded plastic and tennifer finish. indestructible. guts will still rust though. 

still, performance wise, and yeah, i was just emailing my atty about buying ptoperty around asheville, up there on trails, i could definitely fall in love with this lynx concept over the v13(haha, although i do compensate with yoga mats)with it's glock like construction. i'm not smart enough to ascertain whether a wheel's electronics are better than another's, i just look at the neatness of the wiring, like i would any electronics or electrician. i did work at diebold from 74-78 on banking equipment and very advanced electronics and electronic engineers. so i know what the best work looks like. 

still though, performance wise, and i love it's looks, compared to the v13 which eevees is selling for $3299, same as the v14 btw, i can't see $4200 for the lynx. if i had my land near asheville, yeah, the lynx looks much better for those trails. i'm just puttering back and forth with deliveries. and a occasional trip to the pastures. point to point thing. 

i mean marty was choking over the price of the v13, and i kinda wonder how well the v13 sold at $4k.

i mean, who am i kidding. unless it burns down jason's warehouse, i'll probably buy one. curiosity drained the bank acct. i want to compare that suspension to this marvelous latest v13.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Is it just me, or might Begode just be somehow regretting their ‘letting go’ of their more able techies and engineers who set up the Leaperkim marque, so that they might ‘blaze their own trail’ (- see what he did there😄) so to speak? Their ‘experience’ with the Abrams seems to have been a salutary lesson for them,  but one from which they’ve seemingly learned a valuable lesson, and grown and flourished from ever since.  Of course one may be in danger of jumping the ‘batch one’ gun, but I wouldn’t want to be betting on this wheel being a flop/dud, not just yet…

on paper, for my pastures, it seems perfect, although 22" would be better but u get the weight. i just want the safety of my v13's or my illusion of it.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, novazeus said:

i can't see $4200 for the lynx. if i had my land near asheville, yeah, the lynx looks much better for those trails. i'm just puttering back and forth with deliveries. and a occasional trip to the pastures. point to point thing. 

Agreed, $4,200 is up there in price for mellow point to point rides on mostly flat ground. 

16 hours ago, novazeus said:

on paper, for my pastures, it seems perfect, although 22" would be better but u get the weight. i just want the safety of my v13's or my illusion of it.

I do still enjoy taking the lightweight but large diameter tire S18 out for those same mellow and flat rides.  The smaller diameter of the Patton definitely is noticeable by comparison when rolling over smaller sticks and rocks, but the Patton has soooo much more power and responsiveness that I'd rather be on it vs the S18 when encountering most obstacles or holes, especially with its wider tire. 

Now, imagine having the large tire OD and higher pedals but with all of the power...yes, the Lynx!  Also, the blocky shape of the Patton (and I'm assuming the Lynx) has the added benefit of keeping the mass closer to the yaw-axis.  This makes it feel lighter than it is at lower speeds and much easier to pivot about (than the SS at least and certainly the V13) when navigating obstacles.   The width of the wheel does a bit of getting used to though, especially if you have shorter legs. 

Edited by stizl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, techyiam said:

The most expensive euc listed on Eevees website right now is the Veteran Lynx for $5899 CAD.

1st batch ETA is end of December. 

what a way to f'up plans to purchase a new euc for the past couple of months...sigh....now there is even more stuff to clutter the mind with...it is compelling indeed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bpong said:

what a way to f'up plans to purchase a new euc for the past couple of months...sigh....now there is even more stuff to clutter the mind with...it is compelling indeed...

2024 is going to be a year with a lot of good choices, and for different budgets. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

Just now, techyiam said:

2024 is going to be a year with a lot of good choices, and budgets. 

its just mind boggling how many eucs there are right now....and as you point out, coming in at various price points...shaking my head....and the 6K$ doesnt surprise me...its definitely a purchase that is truly an enthusiasts decision,  not a practical one for sure...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bpong said:

its just mind boggling how many eucs there are right now....and as you point out, coming in at various price points...shaking my head....and the 6K$ doesnt surprise me...its definitely a purchase that is truly an enthusiasts decision,  not a practical one for sure...

That is exactly it. For my use case, I don't have to have the highest spec'd wheel. But I do want something that is better than what I have already.

Since you are upgrading from a T2, it would seem you have even more latitude. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stizl said:

Agreed, $4,200 is up there in price for mellow point to point rides on mostly flat ground. 

I do still enjoy taking the lightweight but large diameter tire S18 out for those same mellow and flat rides.  The smaller diameter of the Patton definitely is noticeable by comparison when rolling over smaller sticks and rocks, but the Patton has soooo much more power and responsiveness that I'd rather be on it vs the S18 when encountering most obstacles or holes, especially with its wider tire. 

Now, imagine having the large tire OD and higher pedals but with all of the power...yes, the Lynx!  Also, the blocky shape of the Patton (and I'm assuming the Lynx) has the added benefit of keeping the mass closer to the yaw-axis.  This makes it feel lighter than it is at lower speeds and much easier to pivot about (than the SS at least and certainly the V13) when navigating obstacles.   The width of the wheel does a bit of getting used to though, especially if you have shorter legs. 

After 1700 miles on the Patton I started trying other wheels, nothing feels as playful as the patton even with it weighing so much. I feel more confident practicing going backwards on the Patton than my v10f

• Like 2

If the SS and Patton are anything to go off of, this wheel should be a winner. That said, it's got a lot to live up to at 4k+. Even the aliexpress sellers are listing it for 4k. That's a lot of dough to cough up for a sub 3000wh wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My experience with the Patton and how the Lynx is basically everything the Patton is with more speed and stability, makes it much more appealing than the Sherman S. Time will tell if I can flick the Lynx around half as good as the patton, but the weight staying the same says a lot about what they were trying to do.

1 hour ago, stizl said:

haha, ur exactly right! i'm such a stoner it took me until last night laying in bed to figure out that the only thing the v13 struggled with, was the steepest hill on my property. haha, i could go out today with ten bucks worth of diesel and make a perfect easy little path for it and me.

lots cheaper than a $4200 wheel. granted, the v13 will have me looking like the rock, but strenuous exercise is good. with the yoga mat, she falls nicely in my crunchy pastures now. nbd.

so buying the lynx can definitely wait, but i might buy another v13. i do kinda want to play around/modify the street one a little.

54 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so buying the lynx can definitely wait, but i might buy another v13. i do kinda want to play around/modify the street one a little.

thats a wise decision,  seeing that you already have 2 x V13s.... you have parts interchangeability if needed, and of course you are thoroughly familiar with this one model.  it doesnt make sense from a practical POV to add a different euc unless you really really want it...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bpong said:

thats a wise decision,  seeing that you already have 2 x V13s.... you have parts interchangeability if needed, and of course you are thoroughly familiar with this one model.  it doesnt make sense from a practical POV to add a different euc unless you really really want it...

I think it is rather a difficult situation to navigate for @novazeus. The crux of the problem is that he can't test ride wheels first before buying. And therefore, it is a big risk to buy a new wheel not knowing whether it will actually be better than the wheels he already owns. And he owns V13's which are very good riding wheels. Also, he really enjoy riding them.

In my case, when I first bought my V12 and couldn't ride it well yet, I could tell that the V12 was definitely an upgrade to my T3. Ditto from V12 to Abrams, despite the Abrams being even a bigger jump. However, I am not certain whether the S22 is going to be an upgrade overall to my Abrams. On hindsight. I think the Patton or the V13 would have been better bets for my use case, and the way I like to ride. But it would have costed more.

So for my next wheel, I think I will take even more time and use a better strategy to improve my chances of buying a next wheel that will be a real upgrade. Fortunately, there appears to be a good number of new wheels coming out that have the potential to fit the bill.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I am not certain whether the S22 is going to be an upgrade overall to my Abrams. On hindsight. I think the Patton or the V13 would have been better bets for my use case,

For what it’s worth, my friend with a fairly extensive wheel collection just put his S22 up for sale. It’s got new sliders and motor. From what I can tell the S22 is a great wheel for jumping, but he much prefers the Patton for regular urban riding. It’s got more guts and better overall construction. They seem to fit a similar slot as far as size and range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1