Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ronin Ryder

1 hour ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Even the reviews

Absolutely agree to that point especially because all the sponsored youtubers rave about their wheels , only one who mentions negatives too and therefore in my opinion best quality reviewer is mr wrongway and hsiang.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

We already have the capabilities hardware wise

Sorry I should have said comparing the continuous and peak currents against other wheels not looking. But I hear what you are saying, from your experience its firmware that really makes the difference nowadays anyway. Good to know.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:20 PM, onkeldanuel said:

Absolutely agree to that point especially because all the sponsored youtubers rave about their wheels , only one who mentions negatives too and therefore in my opinion best quality reviewer is mr wrongway and hsiang.

Agreed about WW and Hsiang.  Ronin seems to tell it like it is too.  I like to take his perspectives into consideration as a data point for comparisons with other reviewers.

I feel like Hsiang and Ronin have a urban center perspective.  WW skews more to rides in a park/bike trails.  Marty's group for longer rides.  But lets me honest with ourselves, we really watch for the hype.  And no one has better youtube hype videos than Begode when continuously fling wheels up a hill or chuck them into rivers.

• Like 3

there should be a separate topic in general discussion on our opinions about the various electric wheel videographers.  its a good and bad topic,  IMO, regarding the videographers,  what they try to portray,  their true intentions (make some money), their support for their sponsors (also to make money) and the general bullshit.  the best information i ever got on wheels was at the local store, gabbing with the techs and other riders of different wheels.  for free, and they arent trying to pry a dollar from my wallet either... 

Roger EUC isn't impressed with the torque of the Extreme. Is able to overtorque at a standstill. Compares it similar to the mini. The Patton appears to have the most torque.

Boils it down to perhaps Begode firmware. Also his wheel blew out the shocks. Extreme may be mostly hype at this point.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mango said:

Roger EUC isn't impressed with the torque of the Extreme. Is able to overtorque at a standstill. Compares it similar to the mini. The Patton appears to have the most torque.

Boils it down to perhaps Begode firmware. Also his wheel blew out the shocks. Extreme may be mostly hype at this point.

I have a feeling this wheel is going to suffer from overhype for sure. I think it will still be a great wheel. Just not the new sliced bread it was being hyped as.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/20/2023 at 4:44 PM, Mango said:

Unfortunate, I wanted an extreme as my next wheel.  Hopefully all these issues can be resolved easily.  

Regarding Rogers Extreme:

Shock. ..when it is changed to a coil shock that is no longer a problem. (Begode airshocks was never the best quality)
Torque....   already increased by firmware.

I would be more concerned about him feeling as one with the Patton from the first second, and not on the Extreme. 
So... you want longer suspension or not... That is the main difference between them. 

I don't think the current design they have can produce a good feeling shock, I reserve my opinion until I try the extreme but I am skeptical it will feel near as good as S22 or LK Suspension, for you jumpers maybe you don't care about that.

• Upvote 1

Kingsong and Begode should do a technology swap.

Kingsong designs a rising rate suspension linkage for Begode.

In return, Begode should design a 134.4 V motor controller system for Kingsong.

Or, Begode should just put in a hydraulic suspension in their wheels. However, they should probably source a high quality suspension strut than what Extreme Bull did. For the most part, people seemed to think FastAce quality is class leading already. So, Begode doesn't have to go above that.

If I am not mistaken, the stanchions used in the Extreme Bull suspension are made from steel, whereas, FastAce uses aluminum alloy stanchions. It would be nice if Begode can also use aluminum alloy stanchions.

Thinking about preordering extreme - but I am scared from all media promotion bullshit. Seems like nobody really tested wheel yet, even through there is a lot wheels out there. And all of them are so clean and without scratches :(

Voltage drop on incline seems significant on few videos i saw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCgcODm1Ag&t=1020s  

80 -> 60 on incline. That was my t4 behavior ... with c30. Thinking even about master v4 or commander GT. Still seems like c38 with 2400wh seems like best combo i ever riden on. 

I hope somebody will make real review ! 

Edited by daniel1234

On 8/22/2023 at 12:28 PM, Rawnei said:

I don't think the current design they have can produce a good feeling shock, I reserve my opinion until I try the extreme 

Having just scored an EX30 I will be poking around the suspension quite a bit. However, first impressions are that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be given the leverage ratio which I think seems to be about 2:1 (100m travel on a 50mm shock). It certainly feels OK throughout the travel given the lack of bearings, a very sorry looking stock air shock which has blown it's guts all over the linkages (but still holds air!) and basic dry-lubricated steel stanchions. But I need to do far more measuring/testing. First thing going on is a coil shock which is a gamble as I'm not sure it will be progressive enough given the preliminary air shock testing but we'll see.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I'm guessing it's the leverage ratio of the link that is shit.

Both my hero and T4 have the hollow bolts. I assume that the master, EX30 and master pros have the same design as well. 

It's not the hollow bolt that's a problem. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eyss said:

It's not the hollow bolt that's a problem. 

I don't think it's the bolt either per se, the system was simply subjected to a force beyond it's design capabilities. The consideration is whether the force was 'acceptable to the use intended' or not.

All MTB's solely rely on the shock to deal with any bottom-outs. The linkages/frame/swingarm have no 'hard stop' built into them to deal with bottom out. If I take the shock out of my bike the swing arm with move up to the point where it starts scraping paint against paint. Therefore, if I reach bottom out, the system as a whole has to be designed to deal with 'an amount' of extra resilience for those times when the shock has reached bottom out yet theres still more force to come.

It's this 'amount' of extra resilience designed into the system that may be lacking on EUC's. Obviously, even with an MTB, something could break if a 250lb rider tries to land a 30ft drop but at that point the rider will have their own problems anyway. But it would also be fair to say that the MTB was being used outside of it's design capabilities.

So the fundamental question is, was the EUC in question being used out of it's design capabilities? I'm not convinced. Which means there is a weakness in the system, whether the shock bottomed out or not.

It's very, very rare to hear of any damage to frames/linkages etc on MTB's due to bottom out even with totally crazy senders. I've certainly never seen a bent shock pin bolt whether the shock uses a trunnion mount or regular mount (like our EUC's).

I certainly think that the length of unsupported bolt on the Begode wheels isn't ideal though. MTB's have solid support right up to the shock eyes.

Edited by Planemo
edited for grammar

Heres a (very poor) zoomed in pic of my MTB. You can just make out that the bottom of the shock has two thick bosses welded to the frame which provide support to the pin bolt all the way up to the sides of the bottom shock eye.

The top of the shock is trunnion mounted so the two mounting bolts either side are very short and need no separate support at all.

This system is bullet proof. To bend/break something on this would require a monumental amount of force. Way more than would ever be seen even during 'spirited' riding.

430897015_AllMtn3.0linkage.jpg.91841e176dfcfbb171b4d1219653ebcd.jpg

• Like 1

It is neither the linkage leverage nor the bolt that is too weak.

It is the coil they put on the shock. It is to short, and the coil reach fully compression BEFORE full travel on the shock and the sliders.
So the bolt takes the full power hit every time the suspension moves deep. The coil bottoms out BEFORE the full travel of the sliders. The bolt had to give.

So if Begode did not put the wrong short coil on the shock it would never had happen. How do I know? Chooch is not the only one. And one of the others have shared the info.

• Like 1