Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If only these dumb Begode side pads wouldn't make it look like an ugly, cheap transformer toy. (Same for the EX30 - great wheel but ugh.)

i wonder what would have happened if (it will never happen though...) the high fashion designer labels were given the task of designing just the riding pads for an euc... what kind of visual fuckery would come out of that ?

29 minutes ago, bpong said:

i wonder what would have happened if (it will never happen though...) the high fashion designer labels were given the task of designing just the riding pads for an euc... what kind of visual fuckery would come out of that ?

Intriguing idea! It would probably look 50% great, 50% weird, and would be 99% unusable/unergonomic:D

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

This wheel looks really awesome.

Can't wait for the reviews and real world riding tests!

When I first saw the new photos of the Extreme, I thought somebody probably photoshopped it to make the Extreme look better. But no, it really seem to look this good out of the box when viewing it in Electric Dreams Unboxing Video. Damn.

Sitting next to the Adventure, which one would you choose based on looks alone, right?

one question that keeps popping up in my mind: Why is it necessary to wear safety goggles when unboxing a new wheel? is he afraid of the thing blowing up in his face, or some spring assisted screw doing a sudden and unexpected attack? ... just wondering 😁

Screenshot_20230806-095554-539.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robse said:

one question that keeps popping up in my mind: Why is it necessary to wear safety goggles when unboxing a new wheel? is he afraid of the thing blowing up in his face

Well, it is a Begode.

I know, a cheap one. I just can’t get myself to watch that unboxing. Besides not being at all interested in the wheel itself, Jack has seemed as a total shill in his earlier videos. So I don’t trust anything what he says, how he presents things, and what he leaves out.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Well, it is a Begode.

I know, a cheap one. I just can’t get myself to watch that unboxing.

easy, relax, the knife is not sharp, he does not cut himself, and there is no blood 😉

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Well, it is a Begode.

I know, a cheap one. I just can’t get myself to watch that unboxing. Besides not being at all interested in the wheel itself, Jack has seemed as a total shill in his earlier videos. So I don’t trust anything what he says, how he presents things, and what he leaves out.

He actually addresses his past video sponsorships before jumping into his unboxing.

I will still watch his content because even if it is a bit positive, he usually gives alot of good info. The s19 review was an exception for me.

Looking forward to finally getting some info about the extreme that isn't a shameless promotion of the wheel.

All of that being said, I feel like I may be the only one who is not drooling over thr way these wheels implement smart bms. It seems more like viewable bms info vs smart bms.

It's nice to pull the curtain back on the bms to show more info on what's going on, but if that is all it's doing vs anything actually new I wouldn't call it smart bms.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

All of that being said, I feel like I may be the only one who is not drooling over thr way these wheels implement smart bms. It seems more like viewable bms info vs smart bms.

Even so, for me it is a big deal once the electric wheel is a couple of years old. But aside from that, it will be easier to know when to do more cell balancing.

For example, my V12 is about 1 1/2 years old. And it uses the LG M50LT cells. So does my T3. But with age and more mileage, the aging battery is going to show symptoms. I would have to be more watchful soon. I rather monitor the condition of the battery based on cell group voltage readings than just a couple of pack voltages, and range deterioration. I suppose I could remove the battery pack and take out the cells and measure the voltages. But on the V12, that would be a big deal. Not really feasible to do.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

Even so, for me it is a big deal once your electric wheel is a couple of years old. But aside from that, it will be easier to know when to do more cell balancing.

For example, my V12 is about 1 1/2 years old. And it uses the LG M50LT cells. So does my T3. But with age and more mileage, the aging battery is going to show symptoms. I would have to be more watchful soon. I rather monitor the condition of the battery based on cell group voltage readings than just a couple of pack voltages, and range deterioration. I suppose I could remove the battery pack and take out the cells and measure the voltages. But on the V12, that would be a big deal. Not really feasible to do.

I am not dismissing the value of the info. It should have been available long ago on all wheels. I just halfway object to labeling it smart vs what we had before this.

It is a very welcome feature.

Unless it is doing something different. I don't count active cell balancing as a smart bms feature. Not even sure the extreme has active cell balancing, but just saying active vs passive is not a smart feature in my opinion.

As far as degrading the battery. A simple waring that thr battery is degraded is enough for me to have it removed, checked and possibly replaced all together. I don't need to know how or why it's degraded. Any issue with battery is an immediate issue as I don't want mess with my family safety, or even having a potential fire in my apt.

That is just me though. Others may feel less paranoid about this stuff.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

how he presents things, and what he leaves out.

This

His words," because I'm sponsored, i find it hard to present the negatives." "very easily skimming over the negatives , or not even saying them at all"

and, No Jack. Your "pit viper glasses" do not give you the "extra cool look." The term "cool" does not come to mind wearing safety glasses to unbox something.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I am not dismissing the value of the info. It should have been available long ago on all wheels. I just halfway object to labeling it smart vs what we had before this.

I fully agree.

Unless it is doing something different. I don't count active cell balancing as a smart bms feature.

Active balancing would be a big deal. But none of the wheels have active balancing, not even S22 or V13. They do have a much smarter balancing though, that balances the cells already above 3.7 (V13). Traditionally the EUC BMSs balance only when above 4.2V. That already is a big deal. I hope the Extreme also balances earlier.

A simple waring that thr battery is degraded is enough for me to have it removed, checked and possibly replaced all together.

An unbalanced battery pack is not a degraded one though. The cells are usually in good working condition. But if the unbalance remains, it can degrade and destroy the whole pack.

I don't need to know how or why it's degraded.

Not even if you could safely fix the issue by changing your charging habits?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

I fully agree.

Active balancing would be a big deal. But none of the wheels have active balancing, not even S22 or V13. They do have a much smarter balancing though, that balances the cells already above 3.7 (V13). Traditionally the EUC BMSs balance only when above 4.2V. That already is a big deal. I hope the Extreme also balances earlier.

An unbalanced battery pack is not a degraded one though. The cells are usually in good working condition. But if the unbalance remains, it can degrade and destroy the whole pack.

Not even if you could safely fix the issue by changing your charging habits?

Thank you for pointing out what the bms in v13 is doing. I honestly thought it had active cell balancing!

Hopefully all manufacturers will start implementing better battery management as a whole.

I wouldn't replace a pack that needs balancing vs a degraded battery.

Which is why I think it's important for the BMS to report things to the user properly. I do think these new wheels are a big step in the right direction.

I just never had any of my packs go out of balance on any of my wheels. So it would probably be a huge red flag to me when it does happen.

I do keep decent charging practices, it seems to help as I never had an issue. Knock on wood 😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I wouldn't replace a pack that needs balancing vs a degraded battery.

Which is why I think it's important for the BMS to report things to the user properly. I do think these new wheels are a big step in the right direction.

I just never had any of my packs go out of balance on any of my wheels. So it would probably be a huge red flag to me when it does happen.

I do keep decent charging practices, it seems to help as I never had an issue. Knock on wood 😆

I am not sure how you are defining a degraded battery. 

For example, for iPhones, or Macbooks, Apple has a battery health indicator. When the battery health drops down to a value like 80%, it will recommend you to replace the battery.

For electric wheels, range will start go drop after some time.

I too worry about battery fires too. But I won't replace a battery pack just because it lost a little range.

6 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I am not sure how you are defining a degraded battery. 

For example, for iPhones, or Macbooks, Apple has a battery health indicator. When the battery health drops down to a value like 80%, it will recommend you to replace the battery.

For electric wheels, range will start go drop after some time.

I too worry about battery fires too. But I won't replace a battery pack just because it lost a little range.

I dont want to get too off topic here.. but i am sure there is a way to create a BMS that can tell the difference between needing balancing vs dangerous degradation.

we know the specs of the cells, how many charge cycles they can handle, what temps they operate at, etc..  I am not knowledgable on this so open to being wrong.. But knowing all of this info on the cells in the wheel should lead to engineers being able to program a BMS that can give a clearer idea of what is going on. Especially in the case of an imminent emergency

• Upvote 1