King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

@FlyboyEUC shared 2 cases he found:

Raymond Brock - Developped into a hall sensor issue, has cut out while riding :(
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1876404869187267/permalink/2166941156800302/

Mika Lanery - brand new wheel, scraping sound coming from the motor. To investigate..
https://www.facebook.com/578553330/videos/618465533140052/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BIGboiFASTboi said:

I mentioned this earlier but nobody replied.... Anyone willing to try a pendulum test?  Rock back and forth while standing along a wall, and torque the wheel 200 times in quick succession to stress test the motor and control board.

It's certainly a test and feasible, but over-powering the wheel 200 times will be both a very technical and physical endeavor.
Note that the stalled motor safety might limit the torque and make the test moot.

You can certainly try and report your findings!

4 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Perhaps but..........

I performed the stress test three times and pass (although not as aggressive as others) and a few drop tests by jumping, spinning up the wheel and landing on tabletop jumps at the bike park and passed. HOWEVER..........this past weekend I hit a root with my pedal while taking a berm, lost control and stepped off the wheel. The wheel came to an abrupt, immediate stop as I was tethered to the suspension arm, and burned the mother board.

Oh damn. Thanks for the detailed description, you seem to have handled that well (no injury)

I heard the "loud snap/squeak" of the stator slipping after reviewing the video and determined it was the cause the burned out MB. 
Video of the whole ordeal and the rescue from the forest with my S18 will be out soon. Currently working on it. 😎

If there was a suspicious sound, you think it could not only the board but the motor as root cause?
It could be wise to open and check the motor before installing a new board then, indeed.

52 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

is this the new motor? post July? 

Brand new wheel, just received but motor built in on April 03 😔

@Tawpie I was thinking along the same lines as you were regarding the Tilt Cutoff Angle, mine is set to 70° however I don't think to comes to a "Hard" stop when activated. It just cuts the power. 

In that case, the early failures of simply tipping over and killing the motherboard don't have a good explanation (I'll always blame firmware first though). Several of those wheels have been fixed with just a motherboard replacement, no motor change (ie: the motor didn't slip enough to short things out).

Your case being stator slip, it's different than what I'm thinking about re the early failures in Toronto and here.

Edited by Tawpie

I like my S22, but I will be damned if I buy another KS product if they don't step up and get root cause analysis completed on these issues. It is absolute BS that they have been silent (other than to say that there is no issue) and more so, it is not the consumer's responsibility to find manufacturing defects.

Sorry for my complaining, but KS established their own channel on this forum to advertise the S20/22 and now we get nothing from them... oh sorry, a few FW upgrade that do not address anything. 

The lack of transparency really pushes my buttons LOL.

Once again, I like my S22, but King Song is clearly in last place amongst EUC companies right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

King Song is clearly in last place amongst EUC companies right now.

They've sunk to the levels we've come to accept... there was hope after the fire (and we promptly called BS and wanted fuses or some arbitrary hardware change), but sadly that seems to have disappeared. IM said "we might have a problem" then went silent. BG never says anything except "look at the new shiny!". LK has always been pretty much crickets (ok, they said Abrams would be fixed in firmware). EB?

I guess, why be open when nobody else is? Being open just gives us in the peanut gallery more fodder for Monday morning quarterbacking.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, supercurio said:
  • new bearings size:  6812 on original vs 9612 on the new one. Source: Jason / eWheels

The bearing size 9612 is not relevant to EUC's. Could it actually be 6912? This change is not for the stator slippage problem. 30% wider bearing would help for bearing alignment problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eucner said:

The bearing size 9612 is not relevant to EUC's. Could it actually be 6912? This change is not for the stator slippage problem. 30% wider bearing would help for bearing alignment problem.

Probably a typo indeed, I simply copy-pasted. Good catch!
Yes hopefully larger bearings will help, provided the tolerances of the side covers are improved as well.

4 hours ago, CyberV0LT said:

Was looking on alienrides and saw that they had this wheel. Would you say "wait" on this one? 

Absolutely wait! Unless you want a DIY project as a hobby. It’s not just the motors that are faulty. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CyberV0LT said:

Was looking on alienrides and saw that they had this wheel. Would you say "wait" on this one? 

If you can get 3D printed or CNC sliders and install those this wheel rides like a dream, otherwise could be better to wait for KingSong official solution (which they are slowly working on).

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

Unfortunately yes, the T4 motor is affected by exactly the same stator slippage issue as the S22.

Which other wheels now being sold are manufactured with motors by the ZX company?  Is this a heads up to avoid wheels with  ZX motors?

Edited by Paradox

7 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Absolutely wait! Unless you want a DIY project as a hobby. It’s not just the motors that are faulty. 

Really, hasn't that always been the case? Even the highly-praised Ninebot Z10 had a high failure rate initially according to eWheels (the highest at that time, exceeding even Gotway).

On 9/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, Elliott Reitz said:

Agreed. However, something with a friction-fit and glue may NEVER loosen too.  A 1x stress that doesn't break it doesn't prove that to be the case, but the way static vs sliding friction works that's likely to be the case for the press-fit-friction element.  As for glue it can "break" in a similar manor.  So passing a stress test of any form is a good indicator, but not a proof.

I do lots of jumps and curb drops, etc.  That's why I needed suspension to start with. 

The hard-breaking that I did is only another form of a 1x stress test.  IDK if its as stressful to the motor as jumps or free-spin-reversal.  But it is much more real-world to me where I don't normally put that much torque on the wheel.   That particular time I had an emergency stop situation with a new seat to grab.  It worked better than I had imagined it could have. 

Again not proof.  

Agreed.  Stress test only indicates it hasn't failed yet while risking immediate failure.  Immediate failure may be better than unexpected failure, especially at speed.  However, stator slip is torque induced not speed induced.  Sure at highest speeds the motor is consuming the most power - but that doesn't translate directly into the stator interface force.  Thus I'm more concerned about slippage on steep climb or emergency breaking situations.  And hay note that the S20 fire of U-Stride/Saing was preceded by a breaking induced slippage sensation.  

Totally agree with your sensible perspective. I'm certainly grateful that we have discovered the stress test but suspect that if we start testing our older wheels many of them would fail also.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:42 AM, supercurio said:

Russian S22 motor fix 3

This is appropriate place to drill and tap the set screw.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:42 AM, supercurio said:

Russian S22 motor fix 4

This drawings shows wrong place to drill. It wouldn't mechanically lock parts together.

Edited by Eucner

1 hour ago, Eucner said:

This is appropriate place to drill and tap the set screw.

This drawings shows wrong place to drill. It wouldn't mechanically lock parts together.

I know what you mean, there's a picture I forgot to add here which makes the drawing cleared.

In green, where the hole would be drilled. As the view under the microscope shows, it goes throu the lip on the motor base and into the stator itself. It's not exactly how the pictures are showing. I think that this is what the Russians are doing now.

IMG_20220924_014024_182

I made without confirmation from the inventor of this method so please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Thanks 1