King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

20 hours ago, NErider said:

Drill and tap it, then lock tite set screws in position. There is a post illustrating how to do it. It would hold forever then. 

Edit: While you are in there apply green lock tite bearing retaining compound to the OD of the wheel bearings also. I would NOT do the ID also, because you are essentially gluing it shut for good. 

Ok, so use 3 set screws of 3mm (m3) diameter? How long should it be? 10mm length? 

Edit: dumb additional question: on both sides or just on one side ? (I.e. 6 screws or 3 total?)

Edited by onkeldanuel

8 hours ago, supercurio said:

Good news regarding the motor S22 motor improvements, I described the concerns raised and discussed by @dycus @Eucner @RolluS @techyiam, and the engineer's reply was too wholesome to not share 😌

S22 motor improvements eddy currents confirmation

This is awesome, thanks for tagging me 😉

Anyway if I do the mod myself (I bought directly from a Chinese reseller, there is no distributor to cover me), I'll probably use non-magnetic pin, like titanium or stainless steel.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NErider said:

Is it known if Ewheel's "100 air freighted motors" that were set to be delivered the 2nd week of September have the 4 steel set pins? 

Most likely not from the factory. I would reach out to Jason and ask if his techs are going to perform this job. 

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, especially @supercurio for clear, calm and as factual information as seems possible given the crowdsourced nature, and lack of official manufacturer communication.

I'm an S22 owner of 1 week, who has been watching this thread after also experiencing some issues with previous models of wheels purchased in early(ish) product cycles (16X and V11).

The latest updates (Sep 26) seem to infer/confirm a couple of things which I think for a general consumer like me are most important.

A fix in manufacturing seems to be confirmed?

A pin has been added to the motor to fix things in place?

This pin has been in place for some time? Possibly since late June/early July?

If the above is correct, is anyone aware if there is any chance of obtaining a definitive date from Kingsong, considering all motors have that information stamped on them? That seems to be what is missing and would be ideal. My motor is late June but late June/early July isn't very definitive for owners like me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mishkin said:

A fix in manufacturing seems to be confirmed?

A pin has been added to the motor to fix things in place?

This pin has been in place for some time? Possibly since late June/early July?

Yes/Yes/Yes 

1 hour ago, Mishkin said:

If the above is correct, is anyone aware if there is any chance of obtaining a definitive date from Kingsong, considering all motors have that information stamped on them? That seems to be what is missing and would be ideal. My motor is late June but late June/early July isn't very definitive for owners like me.

Thanks for your message and very good point!

It means that any announcement should also indicate clearly the date when manufacturing switched to the new motor revision, or in case it's not a black and white matter, the date where we know it's 100% sure.

I've seen some motors having an extra sticker with a new serial, newer than its stamping. Thinking of it now, it's possible they the were drilled later on to add the pins.

What's your motor manufacturing date?

Edited by supercurio

Yes I do have 2 stickers was well as the serial on the motor rim itself. I'd removed the stickers during setup so had only paid attention to what was printed on the rim until now.

Printed on the rim is ZX3300W22062400693. Assuming 220624 is 24th June 2022 and 00693 is the volume for the day (or similar). The same serial was also printed on a paper sticker.

There was also a silver sticker that I think was marginally overlapping the paper sticker (implying it was possibly applied after the paper one) that reads ZX-220718213. Assuming 220718 is 18th July 2022 and 213 is the volume for the day (or similar).

So possibly this means a change was made? The dates seem a likely interpretation but that could be related to any number of supplier or production processes. Happy if this provides any insights. Ideally Kingsong could or should confirm this if the problem is officially recognised. I'm loving the S22, it's met all my expectations, but as with all wheels there's a trust you have to build up with your own wheel and clarifying this potential issue would help a lot even though there are always risks of failure.

Edited by Mishkin

So, just to confirm: according to the sticker on my s22 motor, the date of production is 06/16/2022, and I didn't notice there's another sticker on top of my white sticker. Should I be worried, and contact my dealer to have a replacement unit?

BTW, appreciate all the information from @supercurio, you are a true legend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AKA_TY37 said:

So, just to confirm: according to the sticker on my s22 motor, the date of production is 06/16/2022, and I didn't notice there's another sticker on top of my white sticker. Should I be worried, and contact my dealer to have a replacement unit?

BTW, appreciate all the information from @supercurio, you are a true legend.

They said they fixed in in July so your motor is at risk, consult your reseller about course of action which should be either replace motor or run stress test (with potential to also replace the board if motor fails).

So couple of observations, this is a physical demanding test, it also require a pretty precise surrounding, you need to find a playground or similar that has this kind of frame you can use, then you have to also consider how far away from home it is so you can get your wheel home unless you have a car, many many factors here that makes the test difficult to perform for average customer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, litewave said:

Let's just replace all motors without the pins and move on. Kingsong has done the right thing.

Once they announce that they’re replacing all motors without pins THEN KingSong will have done the right thing.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Once they announce that they’re replacing all motors without pins THEN KingSong will have done the right thing.

As KS noted, this should/will be done by the dealers/resellers.

If not available (read: Aliexpress), directly from KS.

The official announcement didn't mention dates which is disappointing. All owners may assume they need to run this test, which then generates even wider concern in the community than if Kingsong provided specifics. Unless Kingsong did intend to imply all wheels (regardless of date) need to be tested?!

If there is anyone in direct contact with Kingsong, are they able to clarify this?

6 minutes ago, litewave said:

As KS noted, this should/will be done by the dealers/resellers.

If not available (read: Aliexpress), directly from KS.

The way I’m reading it is, if you get an error 17 after doing the test then they will replace the motor.