King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

2 hours ago, NErider said:

Has there been a pressing issue of the original motors overheating on hills? 

I'm a heavy rider and went up a long steep ski slope, motor reached 1c below max motor temp alarm and managed just fine, I'm happy being able to do something like that and not worried about more normal scenarios.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 1:43 AM, Rawnei said:

Could you clarify a few things here?

You write recall, but the wheels are really recalled you are just replacing motors, right?

Also you write you will be sending out motors to customers experiencing issues, aren't all customers getting a new motor to prevent the issue from happening in the first place? If it happens it can lead to an accident.

We will be shipping out new motors to customers who have experienced issues with their motors. Due to the number of motors we will be receiving in a matter of 2-3 weeks, we’ll be sending out motors to customers who placed their order with Freemotion. 

2 hours ago, FreeMotionShop said:

We will be shipping out new motors to customers who have experienced issues with their motors. Due to the number of motors we will be receiving in a matter of 2-3 weeks, we’ll be sending out motors to customers who placed their order with Freemotion. 

Ok so that means that there is no recall, shouldn't all your customers get a replacement motor to prevent accidents from happening though?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, supercurio said:

@daniel1234 the Kv rating is supposed to be the same.

But yeah it might not be exactly, so connecting to a VESC would tell.
The main difference with this motor is that it is supposed to heat up less, reducing the risk of overheating during steep long climbs - hence the bump in power rating.
Efficiency, therefore range and torque should increase compared to the original ZX one - although it might not be in perceivable amounts.

Hmm ... is motor heavier ? Or are wires thicker than ZX ones? 

If overheating is the main issue you can always add ferrofluid to hub motor. 

i ordered a s22 from freemotion last night and the text i received from someone there said the latest batch of s22's did not have bad motors.

other than the beating of traversing my pastures, i'm so gentle on my euc's i doubt i'd have problems anyway. not saying humans shouldn't play and have fun jumping and stuff, i'd just prefer nothing fancy and just staying upright. u get that way pushing 69.

so super excited to get back into the saddle and see how much muscle memory i've retained. i ride like duf. i stand on the pedals and don't touch the euc with my legs.

i need to learn to mount better and i think taller euc's are easier for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i ordered a s22 from freemotion last night and the text i received from someone there said the latest batch of s22's did not have bad motors.

other than the beating of traversing my pastures, i'm so gentle on my euc's i doubt i'd have problems anyway. not saying humans shouldn't play and have fun jumping and stuff, i'd just prefer nothing fancy and just staying upright. u get that way pushing 69.

so super excited to get back into the saddle and see how much muscle memory i've retained. i ride like duf. i stand on the pedals and don't touch the euc with my legs.

Latest motors are pinned from factory so that is correct if this is indeed the latest batch.

You don't have to be extreme rider to get stator slip it can happen to anyone at anytime regardless of how you ride, but since you are most likely getting a pinned motor you should be good.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

Hmm ... is motor heavier ? Or are wires thicker than ZX ones? 
If overheating is the main issue you can always add ferrofluid to hub motor. 

Good question. Agree that the increase in power capability would likely require an increase in weight as well.

I relayed the question to PET! Maybe they already assembled the wheel without weighing the motor and we'll have to wait for the next one 😁

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

What’s the current situation with early unpinned motors? I still have one. Has KS provided new motors or do we still need to break them first?

Depends on your reseller more or less. 🫤

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Depends on your reseller more or less. 🫤

I just asked my reseller (MyEwheel) about their policy. At least I haven't been contacted about riding a potentially dangerous motor. If they want money for a new motor, then I'll have to figure out how to stress test the motor reliably. Either know for sure or exchange under warranty. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

I just asked my reseller (MyEwheel) about their policy. At least I haven't been contacted about riding a potentially dangerous motor. If they want money for a new motor, then I'll have to figure out how to stress test the motor reliably. Either know for sure or exchange under warranty. 

MyEwheel are good they should replace or pin your motor it should be covered by warranty.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:13 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Thread unpinned. I believe this issue is over. Very many thanks to everyone who contributed their information!

Unfortunately yesterday I was asked for help from someone who received a unit with June 24 motor, and a group of friends are considering buying units with motors from June 16.

It looks like there's still a bunch of unsold inventory that's still affected and dealers which are trying to sell them as-is.
Maybe the issue is not quite over yet 😞
But at least it is known by now: your call.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:48 AM, novazeus said:

Damn, the motor might be fixed but you still have the sliders to deal with!!! Why would do a stupid thing and buy a ks22, is the seller supplying the roller slides, too?!? 

15 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Damn, the motor might be fixed but you still have the sliders to deal with!!! Why would do a stupid thing and buy a ks22, is the seller supplying the roller slides, too?!? 

yeah, freemotion is getting sliders from king song and shipping them to their customers. 

if u stay on pavement and bathe the rails in lubricant, it isn't terrible, but that only lasts so long. idk if the replacements will last either. once i tear it down i'll see if it's fixable.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 3:33 PM, Rawnei said:

MyEwheel are good they should replace or pin your motor it should be covered by warranty.

I can confirm that a pinned motor is on its way to me. MyEwheel takes care of customers. 

Now I just need to find some good CNC rollers and the wheel is done. I wish it would have come ready for this price. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Btw, I have a motor coming Monday, any way to know if it’s pinned other than taking a cover off? Which side? June 22 production, just need to be double sure. Thx

4526B75D-1CAC-463A-B2C9-35E546F517E6.png

• Upvote 1