King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

1 minute ago, 5Cauac said:

up263-parallel-bars-1_jpg.webp

Now imagine he has an s22 between his legs. You better squeeze them legs really hard on touch down or you and/or the wheel will take off.

The burnouts will be glorious though!

1 hour ago, Eucner said:

Did I understand it correctly? Every S22 will be now destructively tested, when they could have been fixed cheaply with a drill bit and 4 pins.

Would you not want your new wheels really hard tress tested before you buy it? I for one would like that. -That way you would know that wheel is somewhat robust. It won't fail you after 1-2 weeks.. Every wheel should be tested like that in my mind.

Edited by Funky

Well as I reported here this morning, my wheel bricked itself today.  Showed Er 17 (hall effect sensor).  So I opened the motor expecting the worst. 

The good news was that the wiring is fine and the stator has not slipped.

One of the bearings is not smooth and should be replaced when I re-assemble (after adding the pins).  The seal for that same bearing wasn't fitted properly either - maybe that had something to do with its intermittent knocking/pop sound.  

The bad news is I think I need a new controller (again).

Edited by Elliott Reitz

2 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Well as I reported here this morning, my wheel bricked itself today.  Showed Er 17 (hall effect sensor).  So I opened the motor expecting the worst. 

The good news was that the wiring is fine and the stator has not slipped.

One of the bearings is not smooth and should be replaced when I re-assemble (after adding the pins).  The seal for that same bearing wasn't fitted properly either - maybe that had something to do with its intermittent knocking/pop sound.  

The bad news is I think I need a new controller (again).

Bricked:

GTFO!

Looks like there's a real risk of KS going bust because of this. They cannot afford to recall and replace thousands of motors. And if the failure rate becomes too big and we start seeing too many face plants because of a known fault, their reputation will take a devastating hit. It will be interesting to see how this affects dealers. Is this kind of known risk a warranty case or not? Do we have to wait for the motor to break before we get a new one under warranty? 

If you release a car that has a known <1 % failure rate in brakes there's no question all units will be recalled and fixed. The potential for a serious injury is too high. We have now a failure rate for the motor in the 15 % range so far. And we know that stress test doesn't always reveal the fault. And the test suggested by KS is extremely difficult for an average consumer to perform. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Looks like there's a real risk of KS going bust because of this. They cannot afford to recall and replace thousands of motors. And if the failure rate becomes too big and we start seeing too many face plants because of a known fault, their reputation will take a devastating hit. It will be interesting to see how this affects dealers. Is this kind of known risk a warranty case or not? Do we have to wait for the motor to break before we get a new one under warranty? 

If you release a car that has a known <1 % failure rate in brakes there's no question all units will be recalled and fixed. The potential for a serious injury is too high. We have now a failure rate for the motor in the 15 % range so far. And we know that stress test doesn't always reveal the fault. And the test suggested by KS is extremely difficult for an average consumer to perform. 

How about qualified dealers doing the pinning retrofit?

17 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

How about qualified dealers doing the pinning retrofit?

Why not. If KS pays for them to do it. 

I've now had my wheel out of my use for five weeks already because of a battery failure. I would hate to send the motor also to service for many weeks. I'd accept this option during the winter when I cannot ride. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Does Kingsong manufacture their engines themselves? As far as I can see, most engines on the market are made in approx. 
the same way, with the same pieces and even serial number marking, and even if it is China, there are probably rules
there that make it possible for Kingsong to pass on the responsibility to those who produced the crap, someone will have
to pay for the party...

On 9/22/2022 at 12:47 AM, supercurio said:

Brand nouvelle roue, juste reçue mais moteur construit le 03 avril 😔

Bonjour, c'est mon S22, n'est-ce pas April Supercurio 😊.

La date sur le moteur est : 220306.

03 Jun ?

Ou le 6 mars ?

Sur le moteur, il y a un second autocollant sous un premier. Mais même date .. 220306.

4 minutes ago, Robse said:
Does Kingsong manufacture their engines themselves? As far as I can see, most engines on the market are made in approx. 
the same way, with the same pieces and even serial number marking, and even if it is China, there are probably rules
there that make it possible for Kingsong to pass on the responsibility to those who produced the crap, someone will have
to pay for the party...

I don't think any of the EUC companies manufacture the motors themselves, S22 motors are manufactured by a company called ZX I believe, same motor manufacturer also supplied motors for the Begode T4 (which seems to have the same problem).

Regarding supplier or subcontractor, responsibilities or fines or whatnot from what I understand it doesn't really work like that in China, there is no liability, this is what I heard could be wrong.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:47 AM, supercurio said:

Brand new wheel, just received but motor built in on April 03 😔

Hello, this is my S22, isn't Avril Supercurio 😊.

The date on te motor is : 220306.

03 Jun ?

Or 06 March ?

On motor, there is a second sticker on a first. But same date .. 220306.

1 hour ago, Mika47 said:

Hello, this is my S22, isn't Avril Supercurio 😊.

The date on te motor is : 220306.

03 Jun ?

Or 06 March ?

On motor, there is a second sticker on a first. But same date .. 220306.

Perhaps sticker with the same date just indicate that the motor is updated by Kingsong

220306 is very likely going to be March 6th. Nobody uses year-day-month, not even the usual suspects that use month-day-year. Chinese use year-month-day anyways.

So in my opinion it's a very early motor. Whether that is good (before the slippage issue) or bad (affected by the slippage issue) I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

word on the street is that Feb motors have fewer failures, but that's totally fifth hand and probably fake news

I have 21122100483.  I bought it last February via AlienRides auction.  Guessing it decodes to 2021, December 21st.  My S20 passed all stress tests and is now open because it bricked and reported a hall sense error (17).  There is no visible slippage - so I think it got lucky (while needing another controller).  I will install the pins while its open assuming I can get a working controller.  Some pics are on the public FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/134599833910471/permalink/1086023462101432/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Look at what came in the mail today!! :clap3:
A shiny new "S22" stamped motor manufactured on the 2nd day of July, 2022.  :thumbup: 

PXL-20220929-014010231.jpg

I still need to confirm I did in fact experience a stator slip by opening up the motor so stay tuned for that.

Does anyone know if they started stamping S22 starting in July or are there any motors stamped prior to July with S22 but known to have the stator issue?

OMG you got a motherboard too?  Want to sell it?  I want a few of them since they fail so often. Anyone got a $ource for motherboards (besides my "warrentee" via dealer, they can't get parts very well either).

19 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Does anyone know if they started stamping S22 starting in July or are there any motors stamped prior to July with S22 but known to have the stator issue?

From what I've heard, the "fix" didn't go in until sometime in July, and yes, motors that have slipped were made before July

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1