King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

27 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Oh, I see. There is a whole circuit board under that silicon.

That explains the green line on the lower part, it's just the circuit board beneath showing through.

Exactly. So if there was any significant relative movement (slip), you should be able see the five wires being pulled toward one direction, and possibly stretched out.

7 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

thanks, i know :) But I would like to know why its no longer "official" on KS.

It would seem like they got some backlash on Facebook commentary section and subsequently removed it.

14 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Help me understand...
As I see it there are 3 hall sensors and 5 wires comprising a +ive, -ive as well 3 signal wires. These 5 wires seem well aligned with the hall sensors themselves:
StatorSlippage.thumb.jpg.bd657f4908aa37202e99baef1f0f2f9f.jpg

OK, now you got me scratching my head.

Based on my observations "I assumed" the stator slipped. There is a black wire that is stretched very taught from the negative wire to the smaller piece of silicone (looks like a black mark). There is evidence of silicone on the wire suggesting it may have been siliconed on the windings. 

I am no expert on these things and could very well be wrong. I will be removing the cover on the other side and will post hi res photos of both sides. Perhaps someone with better knowledge can confirm whether or not it in fact slipped. 😁

15 hours ago, supercurio said:

@5Cauac from what you showed, if the stator slipped then I'm unable to tell from this side.
Look at the other side tho!

Are you able to tell what the black line and second dab of silicon is though?

Although it seems unlikely to be the result of a slipped stator it is still unexplained: 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Slartibartfast

7 hours ago, NErider said:

I was literally about to make a post asking if I am being crazy to be still waiting for an S22 that I pre-ordered the day it was announced,  and made full final payment to Ewheels weeks ago. 

And then...I checked my email and have a tracking number! 

So I will find out first hand what I am in for. I have 100% faith in Ewheels that I will be in good hands. I assume I will have a pinned motor, and have the best chance of getting a solid S22 as possible. So we will see what plays out. 

With any luck, control board issues can be sorted out, and I can have the wheel I always wish existed since I first got an S18. 

I'll fill you all in on how it goes. 

I’m not gonna say not to worry but, this problems does not happen to all wheels..even if your motor is not the one with those pins..

mine was probably second batch, rode it casual sometimes jumps over curbs and pot holes, I checked the motor several days ago..it still good no wires got pull or loose, stator still in its perfect place, no scraping at all..

I love S22, it still the best for me, I tried master several times, the torque going to make you smile, however when riding the wheel, I found S22 very much enjoyable, you ride it fast it won’t wobble easily like the master, seated ride also good, torque not so much different with the master actually but you will need 3rd party pads for it..

I heard KS has been modifying all of their motors since july with pins/dowels, so I guess you can expect better safety with the wheel.

I’m at 1000++ km already btw.

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 1

@NErider unless you opted to get the wheel shipped to you directly instead of going through eWheels first, you'll get a motor with pins to attach the stators.
That's because eWheels is replacing all motors before sending wheels, the only dealer in the world doing that to my knowledge.

Some customers started to receive new units with motors made in July or August, in various countries.

• Like 2

Thanks @Chronic for sharing the info and these excellent pictures of what to look for.

Edit:
This is not expected to have motors from July present the same issue. Two questions:

1. Do these motors have the pins? It doesn't look like it in the pictures.
  2. Did it slipped despite the pins, by combining slippage in rotation and to the side?
Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, supercurio said:

Thanks @Chronic for sharing the info and these excellent pictures of what to look for.

Edit:
This is not expected to have motors from July present the same issue. Two questions:

1. Do these motors have the pins? It doesn't look like it in the pictures.
  2. Did it slipped despite the pins, by combining slippage in rotation and to the side?

1. According to the S/N, the date of assembly (production) of the product is August 15, and there is no punch hole pin.

2. In my opinion, it's the last batch before the motors are improved. After that, it is expected that the fixed pin solution will be introduced.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Interesting to see that second dab of silicon is present in this wheel as well, complete with a mystery black wire heading off to the -ive lead on the circuit board:
image.png.3c887698f43efffa2b775908a3c643f3.png

While it's a fairly low resolution image again (540 x 572 this time) however it is at least clearer what's going on.

BTW has that red +ive hall sensor wire actually pulled out of the circuit board? It sure looks like it.

Edited by Slartibartfast

10 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

BTW has that red +ive hall sensor wire actually pulled out of the circuit board? It sure looks like it.

The hall sensor signal wires are usually yellow, green, blue wires, matching the color of the phase wires. The red and black are the wires for power.

11 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

is the motor temperature sensor (with the black wire) under the second dab?

+1, makes sense to me.

50 minutes ago, techyiam said:

The hall sensor signal wires are usually yellow, green, blue wires, matching the color of the phase wires. The red and black are the wires for power.

Yes, I know. That's why I called it the "Red +ive wire". The question is has that wire actually been pulled out of the hall sensor circuit board, because it sure looks like it has.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 7:00 AM, NSFW said:

The S22 seems to sell pretty quickly, so I think it would be a challenge to find a dealer that still has units in stock that were manufactured before they started adding the pins.

Not really, I know a french reseller who received S22 around a week ago with motors built in May :wacko:

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, supercurio said:

Hi @djkillermemestar, can you be more specific? It is difficult to tell what you intend to show in the video.

Sure @supercurio

If you listen closely to the video you will hear a high pitched scraping sound that reminds me a bit of an old door opening. Or like rollercoaster wheels going on a track.

You have to listen to it a couple of times but once you hear it It's pretty obvious.

The question is if this sound is at all dangerous or anything. As you said before, the test is pretty hard to do so i haven't been able to do it yet.

I'll see if i can take another maybe beter video later!