King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

On 10/27/2022 at 10:53 PM, supercurio said:

On the other front, here's a super cool video from REV Rides showing how they're drilling S22 motors to address the issue!

Many plastics are prone to stress cracking in contact with Loctite or similar threadlocker. I hope they have tested it adequately.

• Like 2

My replacement motor from ewheels was shipped out today.   Should be here next week...

So far I haven't had any issues with my S22.  Although I've been babying it ever since getting it.  I did a light test when I got it (heard a clunk and immediately stopped) and ever since then I've been riding it lightly while being careful not to use too much torque (especially sudden shifts in torque).   Did some light off-roading, nothing too rough and being extra careful not to bonk over any obstacles.   I had a tiny bit of knocking one day that went away quickly, but other than that it's been fine.  Looking forward to FINALLY being able to send it fully.

Although it'll probably take me some time to break out of my "light riding" habits and completely trust it. 😅

On 10/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, supercurio said:

QS motors are for the T4. The S22 "V2" motor are made by another factory but it's still unspecified which. Unlikely that these will be the replacement motors for Alien Rides.

Below is a quote from EEVEES's webpage.

S22 at EEVEES

Description

**Our current batch of S22s have the original ZX motors. The new QS motors are on their way to us and all of our S22 customers will be eligible for a free motor swap once they arrive at our repair facility. Our customer support team will reach out to you to arrange your motor swap.**

In a single instant the future of personal electric transport has changed forever. The King Song S22 Eagle (previously known as the King Song S20) is the wheel that pushes all its chips to the centre of the table and says either come catch

Edited by techyiam
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, supercurio said:

@techyiam I talked with Albert at eevee's (from the Sherman S teardown) the last 2 days, and I believe it was a mix-up between the new motor manufacturer for Begode T4 and King Song. The new factory for S22 V2 motors is still unconfirmed.

Eevee's was about to dump their S22 stock with the motor defect, unfixed while all other North American (and many worldwide) have a strategy to not do that. I suppose they don't really know what to do with these units as they are depreciating due to the poor handling of the crisis by King Song, so eevee's promised replacements at a later unknown date, which was frankly not great: it would mean a bunch of riders on potentially dangerous S22s.

So last night I highlighted to eevees's leadership the risks to riders, responsibility and liability if anybody would get hurt. Then the solution suggested: taking up REV Ride's generous offer to pin stators for $50 was discussed and connections made.

Hopefully that'll work out!

Both eevee's and REV Rides were very responsive.

For clarification, are you saying that those who purchase an S22 from eevee's can send their defective motor to REV Rides to get the stator pins installed for $50?

On 11/5/2022 at 5:15 AM, toe said:

For clarification, are you saying that those who purchase an S22 from eevee's can send their defective motor to REV Rides to get the stator pins installed for $50?

I just placed an order. The options they gave me:

1. They'll send the motor to RevRides to get it pinned (for free)

2. Wait for the new batch from Kingsong to arrive (may be Dec, Jan) and replace the motor.

Two options are mutually exclusive, if I choose to get it pinned they won't offer the new motor for free. So I chose No.2 (I guess it's placing a lot of hope on the next batch of motor to fully solve the issue)

1 hour ago, sunstrong said:

I just placed an order. The options they gave me:

1. They'll send the motor to RevRides to get it pinned (for free)

2. Wait for the new batch from Kingsong to arrive (may be Dec, Jan) and replace the motor.

Two options are mutually exclusive, if I choose to get it pinned they won't offer the new motor for free. So I chose No.2 (I guess it's placing a lot of hope on the next batch of motor to fully solve the issue)

Pinning the motor is a perfectly valid fix so I think it's the best option compared to waiting that long, basically that is what the ZX factory is doing themselves nowadays so in practice it's the same thing, if it's not too late I advise you to change to option no 1.

Edited by Rawnei

7 minutes ago, chanman said:

I've seen some assumptions that the plan is to swap to the QS supplier for new motors like Begode did going forward, but yeah no real guarantee that is what is happening, or that those motors will be better.

QS is not confirmed, they will probably switch motor supplier but which one is not known, even so if they already have a shipment en-route it's 100% ZX motors.

Nothing wrong with that as long as they are pinned.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Pinning the motor is a perfectly valid fix so I think it's the best option compared to waiting that long, basically that is what the ZX factory is doing themselves nowadays so in practice it's the same thing, if it's not too late I advise you to change to option no 1.

Too late 😅

Well They said sending the motor to Revrides and back will take weeks as well, so I'd prefer to get it now that it hasn't snowed yet and try it out (very slowly) for a bit. And sending it back in Jan will be good timing since I won't be riding that much if at all anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NErider said:

I just received my replacement motor from Ewheels the other day. So they apparently got the bulk shipment of pinned motors from China and are forwarding them to who asked for one. 

Do you mind sharing the date on yours? Just curious if it's a later batch, mine was replaced by them before they sent it out around a month ago and it has a late June date.

6 hours ago, chanman said:

Do you mind sharing the date on yours? Just curious if it's a later batch, mine was replaced by them before they sent it out around a month ago and it has a late June date.

22/06/28 I will probably pop the cover off and check it out before install. 

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

ooooo. I'm very curious. Mine is 0630, but didn't have a second sticker.

I have just received a replacement directly from Kingsong, and it's 220624. I haven't pop the cover, but the sealing between the rim and the motor is white, it's black on the original motor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

December 4, 2022 - From Freemotion

Most of you are aware of the Kingsong S22 motor and stator issues that impacted riders across the globe. To assist riders during this recall, Freemotion will be sending out newer batch S22 motors to our customers experiencing issues with their first batch motor or stator. We are expecting new S22 motors to arrive within 2-3 weeks.

If you have bought the first batch of Kingsong S22 from Freemotion, please email us at service@freemotion.com with your order number, name, phone number, and address so that we can ship the motor to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FreeMotionShop said:

December 4, 2022 - From Freemotion

Most of you are aware of the Kingsong S22 motor and stator issues that impacted riders across the globe. To assist riders during this recall, Freemotion will be sending out newer batch S22 motors to our customers experiencing issues with their first batch motor or stator. We are expecting new S22 motors to arrive within 2-3 weeks.

If you have bought the first batch of Kingsong S22 from Freemotion, please email us at service@freemotion.com with your order number, name, phone number, and address so that we can ship the motor to you.

Could you clarify a few things here?

You write recall, but the wheels are really recalled you are just replacing motors, right?

Also you write you will be sending out motors to customers experiencing issues, aren't all customers getting a new motor to prevent the issue from happening in the first place? If it happens it can lead to an accident.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

PET UK Received their first new S22 4000W motor, they're real now!

The manufacturer code is HH.
As expected and despite some shops got mixed up with who makes the new Begode T4 motors, it is not QS.

Credits: Rob at PET
https://personalelectrictransport.co.uk/

new-s22-motor-PET

I am curious if they changed KV rating to increase torque. (you can connect it to some VESC and try guys) The wattage itself is kind of misleading value dependent on more factors.

I can imagine myself getting v2 or v3 of s22 now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@daniel1234 the Kv rating is supposed to be the same.

But yeah it might not be exactly, so connecting to a VESC would tell.
The main difference with this motor is that it is supposed to heat up less, reducing the risk of overheating during steep long climbs - hence the bump in power rating.
Efficiency, therefore range and torque should increase compared to the original ZX one - although it might not be in perceivable amounts.

1 hour ago, NErider said:

Has there been a pressing issue of the original motors overheating on hills? 

The first I heard/saw was during an eevee's stress test of -S, gingeronwheels was riding an S22 up cardiac hill and overheated the motor. The S22 had previously been up that hill many times without overheating, Gingeronwheels has a special ability to make S20/22 act strangely...

The original ZX motor does get warmer than we're used to seeing in general... it might be because of the location of the temperature sensor (in a sensible place on S22), I don't know if all wheels put their temperature sensor at the coils on the stator or not.

But gingeronwheel's experience is the only overheat-to-stop-riding I've come across.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2