King Song S22 motor stator slippage issue: more severe than expected

supercurio

@Planemo I'm sure a non-negligible % of owners will hesitate to run any stress test because

• they think their wheel is working fine and are concerned about shortening the time before motor failure
  • repair delays might be significant. more with some distributors than others especially
  • might depend on their wheel for a commute to a school/job, choosing short term convenience vs long term risk - circumstances pushing them to make a bad bet.

Agree a stress test will not always be conclusive because it needs to be executed properly then interpreted.
I don't know if test means checking the motor code & serial number or a stress test tho. Let's see.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

Even so, if stress test passed, does it really mean motor is 100% ok? How can we be 100% sure? It's like home tests for covid that later turned out to be unreliable, oh great I don't have covid lets go out and party! Possible that passed stress test could also mean that the motor didn't break too easily, unless they tested it on a big sample of motors already and it was 100% reliable.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/5/2022 at 7:14 PM, supercurio said:

@Elliott Reitz the knocking typically comes from a loose fit of the bearings which end up moving, measurably misaligned due to poor manufacturing tolerances of the motor side covers, instead of being held securely in place by friction. 

It doesn't act like loose fit or even interference.  More like its loading up a spring and then the spring "pops" to knock.  

On 9/6/2022 at 1:39 PM, supercurio said:

@NErider I think you might be confusing the knocking and scraping sound as diagnostics.

@Elliott Reitz video shows a textbook example of knocking sound (bearings alignment, cause: poor side cover tolerances), and no scraping.

It makes the same knocking sound when hand-rotated slowly.  Same wheel position each turn. 

On 9/6/2022 at 1:07 PM, NErider said:

Yes. You should open the motor and look at what may be loose. You should probably stop riding unless you are willing to risk a cutout at any time. And factory installed glue is 100% ok and is the industry standard as long as it is...actually applied. 

The glue, or epoxy, whatever it is goes all over the aluminum hub on the exterior of the stator, and the plastic insulator that the coils are mounted to is the other surface. There is so much surface area there, that it will hold any and all forces that the motor torque could output. 

You mentioned screws to lock it in. I dismissed that at first, but looking at a spare S18 motor I have, it looks possible if done expertly. You would need to drill and tap thru the center of the coil, into the stator hub. Then be lock tite'd in place and make sure none protrudes out the top. 

But a new motor would be way easier. 

Nothing shakes or does anything strange except the 1x / some revolutions "pop" like knock sound.  And this morning on my commute it went away quickly as I exceed 25mph on 1st block.  Slowing down at intersections and in work-parking-lot I don't here it knocking now.  

So back to guessing - something sort of spring tension builds and releases inside the bearings (???).  

3 minutes ago, Dubardo said:

I've heard the EU batch was different then the NA one. Do we have cases in north america? I saw a knocking sound on my Facebook group. 

The motors come from a 3rd party motor manufacturer so educated guess is that it's the same problem in all wheels for specific time period regardless of region.

The stator has slipped in the braking direction in all the failure cases at our hands. Probably
the forces at play in braking are much stronger than in acceleration. But it can also happen in
other circumstances, riding stairs, curbs, or acceleration.

Yikes. @U-Stride 's updated theory may be right about the actual fire's root cause...

A cutout on braking (as opposed to acceleration) is also even more concerning IMO.

48 minutes ago, level9 said:

Yikes. @U-Stride 's updated theory may be right about the actual fire's root cause...

A cutout on braking (as opposed to acceleration) is also even more concerning IMO.

It is not impossible that @U-Stride S22 NYC fire was caused by this issue but unlikely since no scraping sound was noticed back then.

The mainboard has its own issues without being shorted by defective motors, unfortunately.
I'll check the footage that was recorded again tho!

28 minutes ago, level9 said:

If I'm understanding the issue correctly, it seems to me hearing sounds ahead of time is not required. 

There has been scraping sounds in all documented cases so far.

The tricky parts are confusing the light initial scraping for something else, then that the cutout can occur quickly after scraping: in one case, the rider reported that the cutout occurred subjectively "2 seconds" after the sound.

That's why I described it as unlikely. Believe me when you ride and hear that second bad sound, it's not discreet and clearly doesn't sound right.

@level9 you can listen for scraping sound on the raw footage here 🙏

Edit 2: I hear no scraping, only a bad sound when the wheel is already overleaned on the last hard braking. I don't know what that is. A component popping maybe?

Edited by supercurio

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

@level9 you can listen for scraping sound on the raw footage here 🙏

Edit 2: I hear no scraping, only a bad sound when the wheel is already overleaned on the last hard braking. I don't know what that is. A component popping maybe?

Agreed. I only hear some kind of pop. It's hard to say if it's mechanical.

I do have to note that @U-Stride did say he felt motor slippage on the first hard brake ("something in there (motor) lost its ability to grip"). I don't want to put words in his mouth but that's not the same thing as pedal dipping from over powering - at least not how I would describe it from experience.

I understand from the information we have atm that all known reports have a sound proceeding them but to be fair, most users don't ride their wheels very hard at least from the EUC World comparison data I've seen and consequently are more likely to experience a slow failure condition (with related noise) as opposed to a sudden condition that a hard(er) rider might experience IMO.

I'm also starting to wonder if this issue is related to KS limiting torque on takeoff - one of their original issues. Could it be that whatever adhesion mechanism(s) they are using is simply insufficient for the amount of power available and the firmware "fixes" or workarounds were to basically cut back performance to keep the motor from breaking free. Just thinking out loud but I'm not so sure if this is a stretch at this point...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, level9 said:

Agreed. I only hear some kind of pop. It's hard to say if it's mechanical.

I do have to note that @U-Stride did say he felt motor slippage on the first hard brake ("something in there (motor) lost its ability to grip"). I don't want to put words in his mouth but that's not the same thing as pedal dipping from over powering - at least not how I would describe it from experience.

I understand from the information we have atm that all known reports have a sound proceeding them but to be fair, most users don't ride their wheels very hard at least from the EUC World comparison data I've seen and consequently are more likely to experience a slow failure condition (with related noise) as opposed to a sudden condition that a hard(er) rider might experience IMO.

I'm also starting to wonder if this issue is related to KS limiting torque on takeoff - one of their original issues. Could it be that whatever adhesion mechanism(s) they are using is simply insufficient for the amount of power available and the firmware "fixes" or workarounds were to basically cut back performance to keep the motor from breaking free. Just thinking out loud but I'm not so sure if this is a stretch at this point...

The key is he felt something slip twice.  Its a ready speculation that the torque exceeded the strength of the magnets and "slipped a magnet".  But its entirely possible that the slipping was the stator and not the magnets.  Especially with a 126V wheel.  

Its also entirely possible that the corporation decided to hide the truth and cover it up while harvesting the company stock for the last bit of $ they can pump, then DUMP.  Its even reasonable to argue that firmware limits are an appropriate solution because they've not warrantied a testable torque spec for the wheel.   Further, this speculation explaines the 10-15% defect rate (latent discovery of torque exceeding product variation in glue applications, environmental conditions, etc).  

FWIW, my wheel ran great on the commute today. The klunk noise subsided within 50 yards while exceeding 20mph.   Thankfully I've never felt it magnet/other slip in this wheel with >500 miles so far.  The over-torque curb/root climb cutout did not exhibit a sense of slip first (instant, firmware cut-out).  So that fits with firmware protecting the slip limits of physics and the underlying stator mounting (without screws).   

What is the point of slippage?  Is it between:

• {+Per Pic from $univehje on P1}: wire-windings and the frame (maybe we could add screws?)
  • {+ NOPE}:  frame and hub/bearing part (have torches could solder/braze it? then replace seals?)
Edited by Elliott Reitz
{+}

Progress update:

King Song started mentioning the issue to repair shops handling wheels with burned mainboard:
Suggesting them to replace the motor as well, after looking inside the motor for torn wires or slippage of the stator.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Progress update:

King Song started mentioning the issue to repair shops handling wheels with burned mainboard:
Suggesting them to replace the motor as well, after looking inside the motor for torn wires or slippage of the stator.

This was my suspicion that burned boards were actually due to the motor issues as it wasn't evident what would cause the board to burn.

26 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

This was my suspicion that burned boards were actually due to the motor issues as it wasn't evident what would cause the board to burn.

Besides the 4 Boards from Shibby, but thats different story, or perhaps he should open his motor and have a look......

Edited by onkeldanuel

26 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Besides the 4 Boards from Shibby, but thats different story, or perhaps he should open his motor and have a look......

Exactly.

@Rawnei @onkeldanuel I relayed the question to Rev Rides.

My assumption is that a motor capable of burning a board would keep making loud scraping sound afterwards and burn nearly instantly replacement boards. But it's true that might be worth checking anyway.

Progress update:

King Song announcement will not be completed until next week, as King Song is still working on details to make sure that everything can be clearly understood by riders.

IMO: I wish it was faster, but at least it's coming. The existence of multiple odd sounds from the motors (vibrations, knocks, 3x scraping types) probably doesn't help.

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

The key is he felt something slip twice.  Its a ready speculation that the torque exceeded the strength of the magnets and "slipped a magnet".  But its entirely possible that the slipping was the stator and not the magnets.  Especially with a 126V wheel.  

Its also entirely possible that the corporation decided to hide the truth and cover it up while harvesting the company stock for the last bit of $ they can pump, then DUMP.  Its even reasonable to argue that firmware limits are an appropriate solution because they've not warrantied a testable torque spec for the wheel.   Further, this speculation explaines the 10-15% defect rate (latent discovery of torque exceeding product variation in glue applications, environmental conditions, etc).  

FWIW, my wheel ran great on the commute today. The klunk noise subsided within 50 yards while exceeding 20mph.   Thankfully I've never felt it magnet/other slip in this wheel with >500 miles so far.  The over-torque curb/root climb cutout did not exhibit a sense of slip first (instant, firmware cut-out).  So that fits with firmware protecting the slip limits of physics and the underlying stator mounting (without screws).   

What is the point of slippage?  Is it between:

• {+Per Pic from $univehje on P1}: wire-windings and the frame (maybe we could add screws?)
  • {+ NOPE}:  frame and hub/bearing part (have torches could solder/braze it? then replace seals?)

I think it's also worth mentioning that the NYC S20 incident was after a fairly substantial collision with an ebike. Regardless, shouldn't have happened, but for the purposes of using it as data in the current circulation issues it might be completely unrelated. 

• Like 2