Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

11 minutes ago, Kamber said:

Anyone have recommendations on what materials to use on which areas to protect the wheel from hard scrapes/scuffs/dings that would be commonly incurred? New rider here and I’m going be learning on the SS; I’d imagine it will take a few spills in the process and want to protect it to whatever reasonable extent possible.

jeez learning on a Sherman-s 😕 think you'd be better buying an old second hand wheel and bashing that up instead, if you've bought one wrap it in carpet underlay.

Sherman-s is heavy so that might not even protect it much for the bashes it's going to take ,, good luck 🤞

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stephen said:

jeez learning on a Sherman-s 😕 think you'd be better buying an old second hand wheel and bashing that up instead, if you've bought one wrap it in carpet underlay.

Sherman-s is heavy so that might not even protect it much for the bashes it's going to take ,, good luck 🤞

Not really interested in going that route as I’m unfamiliar with how to expertly navigate buying a used wheel that isn’t someone else’s mess being passed along; i’m not spun up enough on what to look for to make sure what I’m buying isn’t problematic or degraded in some way if I were to go used.

Completely understand that the flip side to that is that whatever I do choose to buy will new be subject to the spills incurred as I go through the learning curve; that’s one reason why I chose a Sherman (for the durability), but still want to do what I can to mitigate damage to any reasonable extent. I also don’t see myself as the type to push too hard too soon and plan to learn at a comfortable pace, so I don’t see myself getting overzealous and subjecting the wheel to any kind of crazy abuse or asking it to perform in situations that my riding skill is not yet equipped for piloting.

May try some of the things listed in this thread here:

Edited by Kamber

51 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

Clark Pads do some bumpers (includes a seat) specifically for the Sherman S which protect the vulnerable bits. Bit pricy though

Thanks, saw that but wasn’t sure how comprehensive the protection was, and agree that it’s pricey. I don’t mind paying for quality comprehensive protection, but I’m not sure how robust and how comprehensive the Clark set is, so 8 think I’m going to go the route of double sided adhesive tape + some kind of robust closed cell foam or thick rubber.

Has anyone here macgyvered their own DIY solution for crash protection on their SS that has pictures or can comment on the effectiveness?

Edited by Kamber

25 minutes ago, Kamber said:

Thanks, saw that but wasn’t sure how comprehensive the protection was, and agree that it’s pricey. I don’t mind paying for quality comprehensive protection, but I’m not sure how robust and how comprehensive the Clark set is, so 8 think I’m going to go the route of double sided adhesive tape + some kind of robust closed cell foam or thick rubber.

Has anyone here mcguiver’d their own DIY solution for crash protection on their SS that has pictures or can comment on the effectiveness?

when I suggested used wheel you could get a crap second hand one for 300 dollars maybe , just to use to learn them sell it again after , or you could wrap it in carpet underlay like in this video to stop it getting bashed but it's going to be many times more difficult to learn on a big Sherman, it's your muscle memory and your brain that has to adjust not just your fitness and 4000 is a lot to bash up for the sake of buying a cheap wheel especially if your willing to buy expensive bumpers just to protect,,,,, only trying to help it's your choice

Edited by stephen
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, stephen said:

when I suggested used wheel you could get a crap second hand one for 300 dollars maybe , just to use to learn them sell it again after , or you could wrap it in carpet underlay like in this video to stop it getting bashed but it's going to be many times more difficult to learn on a big Sherman, it's your muscle memory and your brain that has to adjust not just your fitness and 4000 is a lot to bash up for the sake of buying a cheap wheel especially if your willing to buy expensive bumpers just to protect,,,,, only trying to help it's your choice

I’d definitely be open to that and appreciate the suggestion - didn’t really know that there were such cheap wheels. Are there any brands/models you would suggest for around that price point of $300 or so, or ones that have bottomed out in second hand value that are commonly used for that purpose, similar to 200cc learner-motorcycles?

Edited by Kamber

What about a Ninebot S2 or an Airwheel X3? You can get those new for like $400. I bought a used King Song 14D to learn on and it was $400 used. I always wished I had just bought a new wheel. But I like my King Song.

@KamberCongratulations on getting a Sherman S! I always thought it was a good idea to learn on the model one plans to ride :-)

Edited by earthtwin
off topic

5 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

What about a ... an Airwheel X3?

That's a good one - about the oldest, weekest wheel with a 130 Wh battery.... shiver...

Btw: this is the sherman s topic! We have many other sub forums and topics to discuss all this other stuff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I didn’t notice any improvement in the ease of acceleration, but I only took it to about 40 km/h. I wish I would’ve asked for a medium or even a soft mode.

Torque wasn’t the issue. I’m sure it has magnificent torque. But accessing the torque requires a much steeper lean than I’m accustomed to.

1. Try other modes.

2. As well as leaning on the power pads, don't just put your weight on your toes, actually lift your heels off the back of the pedals so that your full body weight is between the front of the pedals and the power pads.

I learned No.2 from watching videos of a fast rider (Dawn Champion).

Braking - go down into a squat and at the same time lift the front of your feet up into the jump pads. I need to play with the settings on my V12HT because it currently brakes poorly, as in much worse than my Sherman S. I find I can brake pretty well on my Sherman S and I have absolutely no complaints about the braking performance.

Anyone know if the stock pedal's angle can be tilted down just a tad? Out of the box the pedal angle does not feel flat enough as Id like it to be.

The manual says there is a screw called the "dumping screw", but doesnt seem to do anything, unless im doing something wrong.

Other than that, really like this wheel.
Im still messing around with it and I guess you can say im in newbie mode with the device. 14 miles in so far on lol . 

OH YA, all future owners, turn off the tilt back when you get yours, it is defaulted to tilt back and beep around 12mph.
(adjust this on the sherman s screen)

Edited by WILSONEUC

Never used the original pedals as I wasn’t in love with the spikes being so low. The Nylonove that I bought do have adjustment to get them flatter. They don’t use the ratchet system either, just friction to keep them up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

Never used the original pedals as I wasn’t in love with the spikes being so low. The Nylonove that I bought do have adjustment to get them flatter. They don’t use the ratchet system either, just friction to keep them up

Good to know. I'm waiting on my erides pedals , but it going to take a while to get here due to labor strikes lol 
Any idea if the Nylonove & erides pedals are the same?  Good to know the adjustment is flatter with the Nylonove's installed. 

14 hours ago, stephen said:

I've always use soft mode on every wheel, maybe that's just my riding style , how soft is the Sherman-S soft mode?

I hope it's soft I love the sway

It seems not very soft to me. Just a touch more sway than Medium. Leaperkim firmware gets firmer with every iteration, it seems. That said, the soft mode is lovely.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, brockj said:

It seems not very soft to me. Just a touch more sway than Medium. Leaperkim firmware gets firmer with every iteration, it seems. That said, the soft mode is lovely.

thx for that I'm sure I'll do some videos when mine arrives ,👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

Good to know. I'm waiting on my erides pedals , but it going to take a while to get here due to labor strikes lol 
Any idea if the Nylonove & erides pedals are the same?  Good to know the adjustment is flatter with the Nylonove's installed. 

The Nylonoves don't use the Sherman ratchet system , just a bar with grub screw. 2 other screws adjust the angle and the studs are height adjustable. 

The E Rides use the ratchet . I think they are angle adjustable but I bought both but have the Nylonove on at the moment

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brockj said:

Good to know, i tried medium, soft mode will be next. Pedal angle out of the box cramps up my feet easily, so a softer pedal will in theory be more comfortable to ride with. Wish there was a way to make it flatter.

On 4/22/2023 at 9:20 PM, Kamber said:

Thanks all — ended up placing an order for a set of NyloNove Kinetic 2.0 big pads and pedals. Hope they don't take forever to get here, but I suppose it is what it is at this point! 

This is my setup too, loving both, in fact I lowered a few of the studs in the pedals to make dismounting a little more straightforward for me! Mine came with a pair of complimentary Agro pads courtesy of E-rides, from whom I’d ordered the wheel, but found them a little on the hard side of comfortable. Spent a few days in the Lake District in Northern England last week on the back roads (pics below), had a great time. Back to snow again here at home today, alas!

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

There’s quite a marked difference in weight between the two makes, though both are adjustable in terms of dihederal angle. There is also the flex in the feel of the Nylonove pedals ( I’ve got them on all my wheels, which may well suggest my strong preference)

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 1:47 AM, mrelwood said:

Accelerating was incredibly slow. I’m used to a V11 with a similarly sized tire, yet the difference was enormous. I took a relatively steep forward lean against the pads, but I just had to hang in there for several seconds as I waited for the wheel to accelerate. Granted, I have adjusted the ride mode settings on my V11 to be very effortless, and I’m pretty sure that the ShermS was in the hard mode which makes it the opposite. Still, no matter how you’d adjust the V11 it would still be easier to accelerate and brake by a huge amount. The wheel’s weight pays a bigger role with this than I would’ve thought. I’m sure there is a very large amount of power available, but accessing it requires way too much physique from the rider for the ShermS to be suitable for the kind of technical off-roading I like to do.

I have about 600 miles on my Sherman-S. Putting the Sherman-S on medium definitely helps, but I think acceleration and braking are key shortcomings of the wheel. Perhaps not "incredibly slow," once you get some practice, but it definitely takes longer to get the huge motor spinning and get the huge wheel moving. The more troubling part is braking. Anyone who rides this wheel in the city needs to do some e-brake practice. It is very difficult to brake quickly and safely. 

Sherman-S is overall not the wheel for technical off-roading. It's a ton of fun on streets or big fire-roads, but pretty un-fun on single track, too much mass to move and you are too high up. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

Wish there was a way to make it flatter.

If you’re talking about the dihedral (sideways) angle, the pedal itself can be filed down to achieve that. It was a common mod with the MSX, since it had a ridiculous 15 degree angle on one pedal and a steep 13 degrees on the other.

If you do file it down, proceed with very little at a time, and measure often! It’s easy to ruin the pedals by filing too much.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If you’re talking about the dihedral (sideways) angle, the pedal itself can be filed down to achieve that. It was a common mod with the MSX, since it had a ridiculous 15 degree angle on one pedal and a steep 13 degrees on the other.

If you do file it down, proceed with very little at a time, and measure often! It’s easy to ruin the pedals by filing too much.

Yes sideways angle. Yikes I would hate to do that and mess up, Guess ill just have to get use to it or hope the erides pedal solves my issue haha Thanks for the tips mrelwood!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 2:04 PM, wstuart said:

I ordered a set.  The dihedral angle angle on the stock pedals bothers me so much, I couldnr wait.  

Ive never ordered from aliexpress so have a few wonderings:

1. Do you think these are actually in stock or am I gonna have to wait 3 months before these get produced and ship?

2. Are these an official Leaperkim product?  If so, I wonder if these are the pedals that would be coming on batch 3 wheels...

glad to know, now i can finally answer my question. NO the pedals can not be adjusted dihedral angle.