Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

On 3/23/2023 at 3:27 PM, Freeforester said:

I’m appx 185cm and 108kg with gear on, possibly up to 110kg with a picnic in the rucksack, and my Sherman ‘S’ is the 62lb spring version, the 66lb is a relatively new item, which was not available as an option when I ordered my ‘S’.    I can say I am very happy with the suspension characteristics of the 62”lb spring version, but if I ever were to replace the springs then I may consider the 66lb springs. Not having tried one against the other it’s very hard to say, but again, I am very happy with the 62lb version at my weight.

I hope this helps a little!

At that weight are you ever bottoming out the suspension? For instance if there is a bump or a hole in the road you didn't see when riding a bit fast?

On 3/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, DjPanJan said:

I prefer safety over confort.

In my opinion, the safest suspension is one that is matched to your weight as well as possible. Bottoming out once or twice isn’t dangerous, but riding on overly stiff springs and especially with a badly adjusted damper on top definitely is.

That said, I’ve been also hoping to see the recommended weight threshold or use case for the 66 lbs springs. One would think that it would be announced before they came available.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

That said, I’ve been also hoping to see the recommended weight threshold or use case for the 66 lbs springs. One would think that it would be announced before they came available.

According to aliexpress :

Note: There's 58 lbs,62 lbs and 66lbs three version suspensions. We recommend friends that weighing 80 kg or less choose the 58 lbs version,weighing over 80Kg choose 62 lbs version and over 90Kg choose 66 lbs version

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

According to aliexpress :

Note: There's 58 lbs,62 lbs and 66lbs three version suspensions. We recommend friends that weighing 80 kg or less choose the 58 lbs version,weighing over 80Kg choose 62 lbs version and over 90Kg choose 66 lbs version

According to ewheels:

• 58 lbs Options: for riders weighing up to 200 lbs / 90kg
  • 62 lbs Options: for riders weighing over 200 lbs / 90kg
  • 66 lbs Options: for riders weighing over 250 lbs / 113kg

According to eevees:

• 62lb suspension (recommended for most riders) is a moderate suspension best for riders below 220lbs (100kg). 66lb suspension is a stiffer suspension best for riders above 220lbs (100kg).

So seems to be conflicting information going around, I'm over 90kg and probably would choose the 62lb, would hate for the suspension to be too stiff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Poker said:

At that weight are you ever bottoming out the suspension? For instance if there is a bump or a hole in the road you didn't see when riding a bit fast?

Not yet, but I’ve not had decent weather and time enough to be out with it much. I’ve bounced up and down with all my weight and not bottomed out, but haven’t as yet had any unexpected dramas with potholes. On paper I suppose I should have had the 66lb spring version, but that was not an option when I placed my order. I don’t suppose they’d be too hard to retro fit should the need arise, but as of now I’m not feeling that need.

Har det bra!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, eevees said:

There’s more to it then can fit in a quick description. We stopped carrying the 58lb because it’ll bottom out even for light riders going off drops or steep curbs and almost no one was buying that option. 66LB is better for extreme riding for people essentially 200lb+. But someone who likes to do jumps might want to stick with the 66lb even if they are less than 200lb. The 62LB will suffice for everyone below 220lb that isn’t doing extreme riding. Or someone like me who does like to go off drops… yet I’m only 160lb. The 66LB is more important on the Payton for heavier riders because it has less travel and is can more quickly bottom out. 

Wow, I dont remeber having a 66kg option when I got my 1st batch Sherman S from ehweels.  It was just 58(pointless) and 62kg. Is 66kg new??

I agree, 62kg is borderline even for heavier riders.  Im 240lbs and I have the 62kg set to maximum stiffness.  Its actually perfect for all the riding im doing, but it doesnt feel stiff, and I feel like I could bottom it out with more than a 2 foot drop.  I would have preferred a 66kg option

So I fianally have figrured out how to get comfortable in all speeds and conditions on my Sherman S (im at 600 miles).  The last thing I was struggling with was high speed riding in gusty winds.  Again, Im 6'8" so this might just be me, but I could NOT go over 28mph in the wind without getting blown around.  Ive recently made 2 changes that have transformed the stability of this wheel at speed for me.  These changes are so small and stupid that I expect to be laughed at.  Ive been riding in windy conditions for 2 weeks just to make sure this wasnt in my head.

Change 1:  while riding fast/in wind I keep my elbows at my side and hold my forarms out parallel with the ground while holding my hands together in a prayer position.  This single change allows the wheel to go at least 5 mph faster with the exact same effort.  It also eliminated side to side buffeting from gusty winds.  I only discovered this by accident while on an emergency grocery store run.  I was picking up one onion on a super windy day.  On the way there I almost couldnt ride.  On the way home i held the onion out in front of me with my arms in this positio and the effect of the wind entirely went away.  I was blown away......... by how I wasnt blown away

Change 2: I removed the sun vizor from my helmet - making it totally smooth and round. This made the wheel much more stable in the wind.  Before If I even looked down at my watch it would unsettle the wheel.  

I can now ride as fast as I want in any condition.  This wheel is now PERFECT.  

Here is a quick run down of other changes I made to get to this point. They are ranked in order of how much they affected the stability of the wheel

1.  Moved my foot back so my heel was on back of the pedal.

2. Switched to Nylonove side pads that locked in my ankles but gave freedom of movement to shins for leaning

3. Switched to medium pedal stiffness so I dont have to lean as far for acceleration and braking

4. Switched from jogging shoes to flat bottom Alpine Star motorcylce sneakers - feel extra locked in with side pads. Also the souls of the jogging shoes made me even taller.

5.  Set up suspension up for my weight (maxed out stiffness and rebound speed).

6. Installed leaperkim suspension covers to smooth out the top tof the wheel.

7. Kenda tire broke in at 160 miles - greatly increasing low speed stability

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

I just pulled the trigger, Street tire and XL shocks (66 lbs). What Power Pads do y'all like?

Awesome, fun times ahead. I like my Grizzla Flow pads but I haven't tried anything else to compare. No complaints here.

4 minutes ago, wheelyboy said:

On an 84v wheel you'd go lower than that all the time

Not in terms of voltage per cell you don't.

I might consider low battery mode to make it home, if I really had to. Luckily the Sherman S has heaps of range and you can always slow down a bit if you think you are going to be close to the limit of your range. Low battery mode should be rarely needed if ever, it isn't good to take the cells to such a low voltage, so you should avoid using low battery mode and if you did need it to get home then you should quickly get the charger plugged in so that the cells spend as little time as possible in such a low state of charge.

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, wheelyboy said:

Why is it worse to go lower than 80v? On an 84v wheel you'd go lower than that all the time

Ultimately no cell should discharge below the minimum cutoff voltage, as specified by the manufacturer's data sheet.

For example, for a 100.8 V system, 24 individual cells connected in series make up one parallel branch in a battery pack.

24 x 4.2 V = 100.8 V

Let say the pack uses Samsung 50E cells, which has a rated discharge cutoff voltage of 2.5 V.

24 x 2.5 V = 60 V

But if you allow your pack to discharge down to 60V, it won't be safe.

The reason is because each of the 24 cells in the branch will not have exactly the same 2.5V reading. Some cells will be higher, some cells will be lower.  Since some cells will be below 2.5 V, 60V is certainly not a safe voltage to discharge down to.

So, now the question is how low should one discharge the battery pack voltage down to, and have absolute certainty that not one cell will goes below 2.5V.

24 x 3.0 V = 72 V

24 x 3.3 V = 79.2 V

That is where the 80V minimum comes from for a 100.8 V system.

For a 80V system:

20 x 4.2V = 84 V

20 x 3.3 V = 66 V

So, 80 V is safe for a 84 V system.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

FYI if you are waiting on 3rd batch Sherman S from Ewheels, their shipping container was not placed on their expected boat for late March delivery.
3rd batch preorders Pushed back ~ 2 weeks mid April. (Website has not been updated at this time) **  This has nothing to do with the wheel itself, just logistics.

**website has been updated

Edited by WILSONEUC
  • Like 1

Hello guys! I've been a proud owner of a Sherman S for 6 days now, and although we still need to get used to each other, we've gotten along quite well over 450 kilometers. So far, everything seems great, except for one little thing. When I lean it against the wall with the engine running, I know it's normal to have some humming noise, but it's surprisingly loud compared to the V11, and sometimes it seems to get higher and louder. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, fary86Hun said:

Hello guys! I've been a proud owner of a Sherman S for 6 days now, and although we still need to get used to each other, we've gotten along quite well over 450 kilometers. So far, everything seems great, except for one little thing. When I lean it against the wall with the engine running, I know it's normal to have some humming noise, but it's surprisingly loud compared to the V11, and sometimes it seems to get higher and louder. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

I think its normal, my Sherman S hums louder than my V11 most of the time.

2 hours ago, fary86Hun said:

Normal. I have a V11 and it’s louder than that. Also has a noise at 30km/hr and above. With this and the noise of the tyre I’m loving it. Well apart from the weight when trolling around in shops - never thought the V11 was easy to wheel round until I got the Sherman S

• Like 1

It looks like there is a larger and slightly taller seat available. I'm thinking of ordering this.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msXjjoo

Edit: I've just ordered this. I'll post some comparison pics of the upgraded Leaperkim seat I currently use and this new larger seat when I receive it.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Clem604 said:

Looks like there is a larger and slightly taller seat available. I'm thinking of ordering this.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msXjjoo

Edit: I've just ordered this. I'll post some comparison pics of the upgraded Leaperkim seat I currently use and this new larger seat when I receive it.

thanks for the link, I ride mostly seated myself so seat comfort is important. This one looks pretty good, ideally It would be nice also if someone made adapters for the Surron seat just like for the Sherman, I have couple of those.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adel said:

thanks for the link, I ride mostly seated myself so seat comfort is important. This one looks pretty good, ideally It would be nice also if someone made adapters for the Surron seat just like for the Sherman, I have couple of those.

I saw that @Hsiang has the Luna seat installed on his Sherman S. Maybe he can give us some insight on how he did it.

3 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I saw that @Hsiang has the Luna seat installed on his Sherman S. Maybe he can give us some insight on how he did it.

Seems to be a simple bent plate drilled to accept the seat bolts and fitted to the trolley handle?

7027BC5E-FE75-4247-B82D-964AC3347365.jpeg

• Like 1

When my SS at the end of the charging cycle, the charger's green and red LEDs alternate, flashing about every 3 seconds (the fun also turn on and off). I think this might be the cell balancing part. About an hour after it starts, the LED stays constantly green. Can we say that it has finished balancing at this point?